Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't understand the Unsleeved Media issue. Is it one of those things that is so stupid that my adult brain can't comprehend it? Like Gamergate?

The dude harassed and led his fanbase in harassing a female cosplayer who was relatively popular in the community. She revealed what had happened before essentially abandoning Magic. People got really pissed about this and made a stink with Wotc who gave the dude a lifetime DCI ban. (This includes MTGO).

Now the dude is super angry about being kicked out for being a shitbag and is seeking to smear Wotc, while simultaneously further cuddling up to his wingnut rightwing fanbase. Unfortunately, Wotc doesn't exactly have all its ducks in a row and unsleeved media dude released some information about pedophiles who had been working as judges, that it is likely Wotc had known about.

There have been bans issued to some of those judges, and Unsleevedmedia guy is taunting Wotc to unban him or he'll keep smearing them.

I think that covers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
None of this would've happened of WOTC had made Spike a male!!!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Madmarker posted:

The dude harassed and led his fanbase in harassing a female cosplayer who was relatively popular in the community. She revealed what had happened before essentially abandoning Magic. People got really pissed about this and made a stink with Wotc who gave the dude a lifetime DCI ban. (This includes MTGO).

Now the dude is super angry about being kicked out for being a shitbag and is seeking to smear Wotc, while simultaneously further cuddling up to his wingnut rightwing fanbase. Unfortunately, Wotc doesn't exactly have all its ducks in a row and unsleeved media dude released some information about pedophiles who had been working as judges, that it is likely Wotc had known about.

There have been bans issued to some of those judges, and Unsleevedmedia guy is taunting Wotc to unban him or he'll keep smearing them.

I think that covers it.

That's pretty funny. Are the other youtube Magic channels like Tolarian Academy just claiming that he bullied them as well to get points with the lady he victimized that dresses like Hazorets?

And how long was this guy sitting on pedo information before this? Was this his backup plan to get out of trouble should he find himself in it, or did he improvise this plan after his banning?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 12, 2018

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So just to confirm wizards are requiring the stores/venues to perform the backgrounds checks, including the costs? And Random store owner #75 getting any judges personal information?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Stormgale posted:

So just to confirm wizards are requiring the stores/venues to perform the backgrounds checks, including the costs? And Random store owner #75 getting any judges personal information?

quote:

As part of our commitment to safe and inclusive spaces, tournament organizers and retailers will be explicitly required to conduct background checks for all staff (as permitted by applicable law). This includes CFB Events' Grand Prix, local store events like Friday Night Magic, and professional events like the Pro Tour and World Magic Cup as well as convention play run by Wizards.

My guess is they can't really do much other than make it a requirement to become WPN affiliated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ascend is more relevant and relevant earlier than I assumed, judging by sealed games.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

That's pretty funny. Are the other youtube Magic channels like Tolarian Academy just claiming that he bullied them as well to get points with the lady he victimized that dresses like Hazorets?

And how long was this guy sitting on pedo information before this? Was this his backup plan to get out of trouble should he find himself in it, or did he improvise this plan after his banning?

You are literally saying exactly what he is, dude. Don’t be as much of a chud as that loving neckbeard.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Now that he's "won" his crusade against sex offenders and WotC officially says you should background check judges, next he'll just do a series of videos where he says something like "All of these LGSs are background checking their judges! Don't they trust them?!"

Shitters gonna poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Stormgale posted:

Yes. Not all the details are finalized as of yet it seems.

Its loving shocking how many people are against this. Its a little unsettling.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

1) No, I'm pretty sure he was a dick to them as well. Tolarian Professor did a whole video about how shitbaggy unsleeved media had been.

2) No clue. It wouldn't surprise me if it was some backup plan, considering the speed at which he was able to retaliate.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Stormgale posted:

For all members staffing the events, it seems so.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

Yes. Not all the details are finalized as of yet it seems.

I mean I've all ready seen trans judges unhappy with this for... obvious reasons.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mikujin posted:

For all members staffing the events, it seems so.

Don't worry. Mr Unsleeved has the background check costs covered

https://www.gofundme.com/mtg-backround-checks

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol as if the grungy comic shop owner and his pothead teenage employees are gonna go through with this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rinkles posted:

Ascend is more relevant and relevant earlier than I assumed, judging by sealed games.

Even assuming your hitting your land drops and playing a permanent every turn, with some attrition it feels slow, like turn 6-8 on average, in a format where being able to block isn't a given. Are people using treasure and token generation to accelerate it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/36311_How-To-Fix-Standard.html

Good article.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Even assuming your hitting your land drops and playing a permanent every turn, with some attrition it feels slow, like turn 6-8 on average, in a format where being able to block isn't a given. Are people using treasure and token generation to accelerate it?

I was watching a bit of SO playing on my train ride home yesterday and he said him and his opponent regularly hit it on turn 5 and 6. Keep in mind it will be harder in draft most likely.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol as if the grungy comic shop owner and his pothead teenage employees are gonna go through with this.

Yeah the corner comic shop guy is already grousing whenever a rotation sticks them with sealed product they can't move. I can't imagine the margins on that kind of retail are, y'know, stellar.

How much does a satisfactory "background check" cost, anyway?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah the corner comic shop guy is already grousing whenever a rotation sticks them with sealed product they can't move. I can't imagine the margins on that kind of retail are, y'know, stellar.

How much does a satisfactory "background check" cost, anyway?

As someone who works HR I can tell you they cost us around 160 per person. Now ours are super in depth because we have government contracts that require it. If you just wanted local, federal and sex offender checks then maybe 60 or 70.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Again sealed, but every other game has devolved into a board stall, with ascend active 50%+ percent of the game.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nah, harassment isn't all that funny. And yeah, Tolarian Community College was apparently a target of his as well, though probably not as severe(?).

Sickening posted:

What's really "shocking" is how many people didn't give two shits before an rear end in a top hat got banned and now it's priority #1.

For actual Magic related content: I don't think I'm going to try to go to prerelease tomorrow. XLN was kinda boring, limited-wise, sealed is less fun and more expensive than draft, and the prize payout is a flat 2 packs each. Maybe I'll try drafting it next Friday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

Nah, harassment isn't all that funny. And yeah, Tolarian Community College was apparently a target of his as well, though probably not as severe(?).

What's really "shocking" is how many people didn't give two shits before an rear end in a top hat got banned and now it's priority #1.

For actual Magic related content: I don't think I'm going to try to go to prerelease tomorrow. XLN was kinda boring, limited-wise, sealed is less fun and more expensive than draft, and the prize payout is a flat 2 packs each. Maybe I'll try drafting it next Friday.

I don't think people thought something like this wasn;t even possible until the Zack Jessie thing. It was this totally new direction in how they wanted to police the player base. It was a turn in the right direction however it just went away because making real change requires effort.

This idiot forced their hand. Nothing like loving pedo's to put something in the spot light. We are only getting the change that should have happened back then because bad pr hurts $$.

moush posted:

People on reddit are really jumping through hoops as to why registered sex offenders should be allowed to judge events.

Yes. People on reddit are actually saying that just because you have been convicted of a sex crime that you could be rehabilitated and therefore

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 12, 2018

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
People on reddit are really jumping through hoops as to why registered sex offenders should be allowed to judge events.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

moush posted:

Reddit is where pedos hang out on the internet. Also, they really love harping on the fact that some guy once got put in the registry for public urination. (Never mind the fact that I'm pretty sure that never happened, Reddit MRAs would have you believe it happens on a daily basis and therefore the registry is terrible.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

moush posted:

People on reddit are ... sex offenders

Fixed

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Given some of the subreddits that have existed this isn't untrue.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's also not untrue for SomethingAwful.com

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

It's also not untrue for SomethingAwful.com

MODS! Oh wait...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Count Bleck posted:

Given some of the subreddits that have existed this isn't untrue.

:thejoke:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Gonna try to steer the conversation away from pedophiles (never thought I'd type those words) and ask which Standard deck is the safest bet for cheap and playable? I'd be really excited to build some iteration of Pummeler, but if Attune or Hub get banned then that all but completely goes out the window for viability. I'm leaning towards merfolk, but I don't want to build it while it's still expensive to preorder, but really hope it doesn't go up if it slams the first sanctioned event out of the park. Are there any other cheap viable decks for competitive events in the current meta?

I normally wouldn't make such a fuss about Standard, but the PPTQs all around me are either standard or sealed, and frankly gently caress sealed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Gonna try to steer the conversation away from pedophiles (never thought I'd type those words) and ask which Standard deck is the safest bet for cheap and playable? I'd be really excited to build some iteration of Pummeler, but if Attune or Hub get banned then that all but completely goes out the window for viability. I'm leaning towards merfolk, but I don't want to build it while it's still expensive to preorder, but really hope it doesn't go up if it slams the first sanctioned event out of the park. Are there any other cheap viable decks for competitive events in the current meta?

I normally wouldn't make such a fuss about Standard, but the PPTQs all around me are either standard or sealed, and frankly gently caress sealed.

Mono red without haz or chandra. (which is probably just bad)

I guess what you need to decide is how much you are willing to spend. Standard is probably going to still be bad

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 12, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Mono black aggro or GW aggro are decent tier two decks that are around $100

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

Mono red without haz or chandra. (which is probably just bad)

I guess what you need to decide is how much you are willing to spend. Standard is probably going to still be bad

I thought about Ramunap Red without Chandra, but she seems too good to pass up. I'd like to stay as close to $200 as possible.

I'm actually seeing UW Gift putting up results. Is it worth running without Scarab God?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Has anyone tested RIX standard with energy banned? I kinda want to get back into standard... Sadly

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I've been messing around trying to get this Constrictor Explore deck to work. It originally was more all in on explore but I cut some things to make it a bit more ramp. Ignore the sideboard as a lot of that is left over from the old build. It's probably not good but it looks fun.

http://deck.tk/5nk88T3x

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
don't buy into standard until the newest B&R list is out imo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Aggro/tempo is really rough to execute in standard without attune. Mana is soooo bad...

It's like playing during 7ED all over again

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

here let me sum up the unsleeved media guy

unsleeved media guy: i should get money for doing clickbait youtube videos of me opening packs. but i am not getting money. why is this. oh a WOMAN is getting money, because of her boobs. she puts in zero effort to these cosplays i guarantee you. not like me. now its time to harass her. hey wait it looks like i can get money for being a piece of poo poo. sweet.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Is the ghalta list going to be a thing?

I really hope it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/making-magic-spaces-safer

Get your background checks ready kids. (You have less than month)