Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

and these geniuses, they didn't even buy crypto. they bought something that will turn into crypto if and only if etherium changes the core method that they operate which has the same likelihood of occurrence as grrm finishing the asoiaf series.

they bought so much of this putative-cryptocoin that they can't even sell it if they wanted to because there simply is no one interested in buying it. they could liquidate maybe 10% of their holdings which would also further drive the gulf between the not-yet-a-coin and the coin it might become. as of the tweetstorm, it's currently at a ratio of 0.96.

if eth forked tomorrow, in a year they'd get all of their different-eth in eth, but this would also just be a fork and the original proof of work eth would continue going while stake eth becomes the new bitcoin cash that they yell at you about for abbreviating bcc.

how does this even work? are they just buying the rights to the proof of stake ETH that current ETH holders will get after the split?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Plank Walker posted:

how does this even work? are they just buying the rights to the proof of stake ETH that current ETH holders will get after the split?

it's some smart contract bullshit where the tokens will not allow themselves to be spent until certain conditions are met, namely the switch to proof of stake and the time elapsed

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

kw0134 posted:

my employer has dozens of different systems that have access control lists which can be configured any number of ways with a single employee sign-on, so the notion that a large tech company can't figure out how to give access to email while disabling more sensitive systems is laughable. the only explanation is sociopathic laziness.

iirc, the entirety of mtgox's finances were run directly from mark's personal bank account. so this kinda stuff is pretty much a crypto tradition at this point

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tima posted:

customer: hi, i can't withdraw funds, what's up?

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing my account. please hodl
your call is very important to us. please hodl

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

yup.

they also appear to have around 90% of steth so they can't even offload it.

they should give back steth greren's apes if they have them :(

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Chris Knight posted:

your call is very important to us. please hodl

while you wait please listen to the dogecoin song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=000al7ru3ms

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mr. Nice! posted:

and these geniuses, they didn't even buy crypto. they bought something that will turn into crypto if and only if etherium changes the core method that they operate which has the same likelihood of occurrence as grrm finishing the asoiaf series.

they bought so much of this putative-cryptocoin that they can't even sell it if they wanted to because there simply is no one interested in buying it. they could liquidate maybe 10% of their holdings which would also further drive the gulf between the not-yet-a-coin and the coin it might become. as of the tweetstorm, it's currently at a ratio of 0.96.

if eth forked tomorrow, in a year they'd get all of their different-eth in eth, but this would also just be a fork and the original proof of work eth would continue going while stake eth becomes the new bitcoin cash that they yell at you about for abbreviating bcc.

The Lols and lmaos are going parabolic!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i hope that the crash won't adversely affect project present elon musk with a giant statue of a goat with his head

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i still maintain that this is a better business plan than most crypto and nft projects have

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

kw0134 posted:

the only explanation is sociopathic laziness.

Well yeah, it's crypto.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

it's some smart contract bullshit where the tokens will not allow themselves to be spent until certain conditions are met, namely the switch to proof of stake and the time elapsed

if it's staked and can't be taken out, what's the signal for the contract wallet to release the funds? like do they light the bat signal when it goes proof of stake, or is it somehow an official ethereum thing? or is there like some dude that said "uhh yeah i promise to click the button when everything is proof of stake"?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Frequent Handies posted:

You're a HODLer. You have a BTC at 30k. Perhaps you're a prudent HODLer and decide in case this goes tits up, you should buy some insurance - you buy a put for 20k. Whoever sells you that put is agreeing to buy your coin at 20k. You pay some premium to the seller for this, because if it says flash crashes to 10k, they still have to buy it for 20k and they want to get paid for the risk. You can rest assured that worst case scenario, you're only out 10k, not 30.

In most cases the seller is a market maker, they don't care what the price does - they're going to hedge against this by shorting (selling) BTC. The moment they sell you the put they'll also sell some BTC against the possibility it does actually get down there, but since it's currently at 30k it won't be a lot to offset the probability.

But if the price drops to 25k, well, that dealer to make themselves neutral has to sell more BTC. And so on. This is an exponential process, as the price gets closer to the sold put price more and more BTC needs to be sold to maintain that neutrality. There's a lot being left out here, but that's the gist.

The OTC bit is over the counter - or deals that were made over the phone or whatever and probably isn't available on an order book to be seen but nonetheless will have an effect as price gets near the strike.

The problem here is the liquidity just doesn't exist for all of this open interest (existing insurance contracts) and can cause a waterfall effect as all of these dealers holding the other end try to sell to maintain a neutral book and kick off a cascade.

thank you very much for explaining!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tima posted:

customer: hi, i can't withdraw funds, what's up?

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing my account. please hodl

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

'all of their "money" is "away from them"' will never not kill me

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boxturret posted:

i hope that the crash won't adversely affect project present elon musk with a giant statue of a goat with his head

Didn't they already rugpull

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

Eeyo posted:

if it's staked and can't be taken out, what's the signal for the contract wallet to release the funds? like do they light the bat signal when it goes proof of stake, or is it somehow an official ethereum thing? or is there like some dude that said "uhh yeah i promise to click the button when everything is proof of stake"?

it won’t matter because the money* will be stolen or lost by then to some combination of thievery and incompetence

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I've learned about Luna, Celsius and all their ilk is that they say that they can offer good returns because they are lending their coins but what they actually do is just invest into other guys who say pretty much the same thing. And they don't even bother to diversify or anything like that,. Oh yes, we have 2 billion dollars worth of other-people's-butts just deposit 83% of them into that one thing that offers 20% returns and locks the coins for 2 years, seems like a good idea.

And they often do this using some sort of collateralized scheme that increases the risk of things going tits up by a billion percent.

It is such a transparent grift.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

trucutru posted:

The thing I've learned about Luna, Celsius and all their ilk is that they say that they can offer good returns because they are lending their coins but what they actually do is just invest into other guys who say pretty much the same thing. And they don't even bother to diversify or anything like that,. Oh yes, we have 2 billion dollars worth of other-people's-butts just deposit 83% of them into that one thing that offers 20% returns and locks the coins for 2 years, seems like a good idea.

And they often do this using some sort of collateralized scheme that increases the risk of things going tits up by a billion percent.

It is such a transparent grift.

yeah exactly. like in principle, using deposits to loan money out and then paying some of the interest back to the depositor is just banking, but 1) the returns they promise would make bernie madoff blush, and 2) all the "loans" are just being used to speculate on other cryptos. the whole thing only works as long as everything goes up up up, and the moment it doesn't it implodes spectacularly

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoiners won't get out of bed for anything below a monthly double digit return

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Eeyo posted:

please read my white paper on 'oracles'. it's 150,000 words long and amounts to some dude saying so.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

so the idea behind crypto is:
i have a box painted black with a big sparkly gold symbol painted crudely on the side. i theatrically place it in the middle of the town, and place 1000 dollars inside, and then produce a piece of paper, and say that this paper represents the 1000 bucks in the box. but whats more, if you buy some of the paper, then the money goes in the box, and the bits everyone has is worth more. its a simple, logical model and utterly wrong.

firstly, what happens if, after some time, there are many people with boxes nearby all saying the same thing. of course my large (and a bit tatty) box is the original and best, but now theres lots of boxes with fun rules and monkey pictures and poo poo. so what happens if instead of taking money for strips of paper, i instead accept other bits of paper, or monkey pictures. every time i keep putting the poo poo in the box and claiming it is worth more, but obviously it's not any more.

but this isnt the funny thing. this is all the sideshow to the main sting. the way the coins get in is the strips of paper get handed out to the people running the computers, which use ever increasing amounts of electricity and hardware, and that all costs money and thats where the real trick happens - the exponentially decreasing-sized* strips of paper get exchanged for money, but the money gets spent by the miners on costs and yachts. none of the token sales ended up in the box, they never have**

of course in real life satoshi didnt even put 1000 dollars in to start it - the box is, and has always been, utterly empty.

*lol
**lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

OzyMandrill posted:

if you buy some of the paper, then the money goes in the box
this is untrue (even before you bring in the other things), but that can be our little secret

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

so the idea behind crypto is:
*lol
**lmao
yep.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

someone make a match-3 game with dead crypto logos called "coindy crash", and then give me 2% of all profits because i'm the idea guy, thanks

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

biosterous posted:

someone make a match-3 game with dead crypto logos called "coindy crash", and then give me 2% of all profits because i'm the idea guy, thanks

i'll start the wiki

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mrmcd posted:

1) Lol at not even telling people to their face, just switching off their account and leaving a note in their Gmail.

2) Why do such a huge number of your employees have access to customer information?

2a) Further lol at management being like "oh yeah the people we hired would totally torch this place on the way out"
they have to be careful with firing random employees because misuse of customer data to burn the company to the ground is the executive exit plan

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boxturret posted:

bitcoiners won't get out of bed for anything below a monthly double digit return

In whatever direction.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

biosterous posted:

impossible, because there's just so many of them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HappyHippo posted:

yeah exactly. like in principle, using deposits to loan money out and then paying some of the interest back to the depositor is just banking, but 1) the returns they promise would make bernie madoff blush, and 2) all the "loans" are just being used to speculate on other cryptos. the whole thing only works as long as everything goes up up up, and the moment it doesn't it implodes spectacularly

stablegains promised literal enron shell company level returns and people went 'oh, that's reasonable' because the whole coin world is so absurd that mere double digit savings returns are considered low. it's incredible

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/itstimconnors/status/1536734104422522881

https://twitter.com/itstimconnors/status/1536734124542611456

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lol. lmao. working as intended

also

quote:

Therefore I vote YES on this proposal

Robert No

this is the last thing i expected from you, robert

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

on the one hand telling big investors to gently caress off is hilarious, on the other hand pissing off any real money folks who haven't unwound their crypto positions yet is also hilarious

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
decentralization means I can do what I want, when I want, where I want, to whom I want, with zero consequences

wait why won't anyone pay me to do this any more

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/itstimconnors/status/1536734159816695808?s=20&t=-ZyIFI4M2mDbBASaiwsBpg

first time the sparkly, white web3 takes such a big reputation hit

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The bitcoiners are about to speed run Delaware corporation law.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait what

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a lotta y’all still don’t get it

YGG holders can use multiple slurp juices on a single coin. so if you have a majority of YGG DAO’s voters and 3 slurp juices, you now have 3 new DAOs!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neito posted:

while you wait please listen to the dogecoin song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=000al7ru3ms

You can't make me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's more money for less money. Seems like a stellar deal to me.