Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

As much as I loved the in-game music it's become extremely repetitive for me as well. So now I almost exclusively listen to the soundtracks of the Metal Slug games and its extremely awesome.

Hell yeah! Glad I'm not the only one with metal slug on the brain when playing this. I like to goof around with my friends by calling out the weapons Metal Slug announcer style when I pick them up.

HEAVY MACHINE GUN!

ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Have they mentioned if they are ever going to add more voices? I'd like a nervous helldiver voice pack please

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Have they mentioned if they are ever going to add more voices? I'd like a nervous helldiver voice pack please

i would like a voice pack that is just the female VO that goes "FEEEEEEEEEEEEELS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" in that same tone of voice for all her other lines

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Celebrity Helldiver voices.

2000 Super Credits per.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've been playing with the Thermite Grenade since the fire fix went through. I've been chucking two at the face of a Hulk (really just landing anywhere on its front) in rapid succession, and by the time the first one explodes, it's dead. That burning dot eats them up now.

I don't know if a single one to the face is enough, but the dots from two will do it.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Icedude posted:

Anyone else have a bug where Pelican-1 just immediately fucks off the moment the first person gets in, no 20 second timer?

We lost a whole bunch of rare samples and our super samples to it yesterday because the person who got in wasn't carrying them.

Hopefully today's patch has a stealth fix for that.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yep this is a bug that happens when the Pelican takes damage. There's also a variation on it where no one can enter the Pelican at all and there's no way to finish the mission.

The only thing you can do is avoid dropping stratagems on the Pelican when it's landing.
I'm not so sure it's a bug.

Pelican can take a reasonable amount of damage, far more than seems logical. if it catches on fire it will leave as soon as one person climbs in. If it is completely on fire (not sure exactly what the visual distinction is) then it basically just becomes a static model.

it's possible it is a bug, but the fact it will choose to take off with one person or not take off at all feels like a design decision. The lack of clear feedback is a bit of an anomaly though e.g. Pelican one warning people about damage and/or just straight up leaving (or blowing up completely).

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

We ain't clearing this order, I have checked in even when not able to play and frankly a solid quarter or more at any given time is shooting bugs
The skill floor for bots is so much higher it's not even funny.

I can do it with friends, but with casuals it's basically a coin toss whether we'll get wiped regularly or have enough (e.g. at least 3) players who are skilled and know what they need to bring against bots.

i can drop into pretty much any level 9 Bugs game and unless the rest of the team are the worst players in the world 1 or 2 of us can get the job done.

Also bot missions generally seem to involve less total kills, compared to bugs.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Kind of wish I could switch in some music like with MGSV but that's still work aroundable.

Been using the scorcher as an option to take on bot heavies aside from the hulk/etc and it's great but drat do I run around of ammo quick. Tried pairing it with the laser cannon as an unlimited ammo swiss army knife and then dropping EATs as needed. Supply pack helps with primary concerns and assisting groups. I could've sworn the 500ks could take out the cannon towers but I always seem to have to loop around it like a scout strider trying to shoot the back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lobok posted:

Celebrity Helldiver voices.

2000 Super Credits per.

I've said it before but I'd pay serious money for a Tim Robinson Helldiver voicepack. Or Sam Richardson, come to think of it.

LuiCypher posted:

Now that heavy armor has been fixed, it has been a ton of fun playing the Helldiver equivalent of a Heavy Devastator vs. bots - take heavy armor with explosive resist, a ballistic shield, and the new SMG and you too can be an absolute rear end in a top hat at disrupting and flinching bots while taking no damage in return.

I really oughta try it out, but it feels like so much of the game is running around the map I think it'd drive me nuts. I've been wearing the Medium +grenades armor on bots lately and it's already super noticeable how slow I am compared to Light armor.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Durzel posted:

The skill floor for bots is so much higher it's not even funny.

I can do it with friends, but with casuals it's basically a coin toss whether we'll get wiped regularly or have enough (e.g. at least 3) players who are skilled and know what they need to bring against bots.

i can drop into pretty much any level 9 Bugs game and unless the rest of the team are the worst players in the world 1 or 2 of us can get the job done.

Also bot missions generally seem to involve less total kills, compared to bugs.

Bots are extremely accurate and it's quite annoying to just get gatted constantly. I feel like reducing their accuracy and upping their fire rate would be a good idea.

Bugs, at least, are avoidable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'd grind out the creds for a patrick warburton pack that's for sure

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Legit would for alternate languages still. 200SC each maybe? I want to drop with random language and gender every time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

make an accent pack, run a bunch of ANZAC helldivers

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dandywalken posted:

Legit would for alternate languages still. 200SC each maybe? I want to drop with random language and gender every time.

The French voiced go hard, I'd like to enable all languages, let me fight for liberté!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Or Sam Richardson, come to think of it.

Only if it's his ghost of Christmas way way future voice

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Durzel posted:

Yea this is where im at, all my friends who played the game have basically stopped playing (due to nerfs :( jk real life stuff) and the bot 7s and 9s I rando dropped in have always been poo poo shows. my play time went from half and half bots and bugs to virtually all bugs. I should probably hop into some missions to try and help the order, but when I play with randos and they are getting like 100 kills per match it just feels pointless lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve slanted more and more towards playing exclusively bots because they’re a lot more fun

It’s actually really impressive how different the factions feel to fight against to the point that they’re almost a completely different game, but it does mean that I increasingly only want to play the game that’s more fun

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the biggest hurdle bug players face imo is that as long as you have learned basic competency and have some good gear you can just kind of run around level 7 bug missions by yourself, and you get used to that

its a lot harder to do that in bot missions. you benefit a lot more from working together, as people can cover different angles, and someone being suppressed by 10,000 rockets can have someone else picking off enemies. additionally, bot tactical objectives are much more dangerous (although that partly varies on your kit).

i see bug players wandering off and dying constantly on bot missions - not cuz they're bad at the game, but they aren't used to needing teamwork.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 14, 2024

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

700,000 bots to kill in less than 24 hours. Looks like another failed objective. They're going to have to start accounting for the lower amount of players, and a lot of players not liking playing bots.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jerkface posted:

Yea this is where im at, all my friends who played the game have basically stopped playing (due to nerfs :( jk real life stuff) and the bot 7s and 9s I rando dropped in have always been poo poo shows. my play time went from half and half bots and bugs to virtually all bugs. I should probably hop into some missions to try and help the order, but when I play with randos and they are getting like 100 kills per match it just feels pointless lol

The game doesn't have a great long tail. You unlock all the stratagems pretty fuckin' quick and all the upgrades aren't exactly game-changers. The warbonds are kinda interesting but the most recent one is pretty loving lame.

I'd imagine when the Illuminate drop there will be a resurgence but live games typically don't hold onto their hype for very long and HD2 held on to a MUCH larger player base than anyone would have expected for way longer than anyone would have expected.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Video Nasty posted:

I've been running the arc thrower for the past week and I've gotta say I'm completely converted.
I was topping kills on bug 7s with my buddy by a WIDE margin simply because I could circle around a crowd and melt through a line of them routinely. It won't kill a charger outrtight but you can work it down after a railcannon strike.

Sure it will kill a Charger. 7 shots to the head. It just takes a bit, and there are usually better options.

Janissary Hop posted:

700,000 bots to kill in less than 24 hours. Looks like another failed objective. They're going to have to start accounting for the lower amount of players, and a lot of players not liking playing bots.

They need to not make some objectives flat numbers and others percentile based. Using flat numbers is far harder to judge.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

make an accent pack, run a bunch of ANZAC helldivers

I was lucky enough to play a round with some Aussies the other night. I will now always refer to super samples as "pinkies".

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

For a "game master" Joel seems like he sucks at lying about how much hp the boss had, or how many guards there were in the next room to keep the tension up while not TPKing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the biggest hurdle bug players face imo is that as long as you have learned basic competency and have some good gear you can just kind of run around level 7 bug missions by yourself, and you get used to that

its a lot harder to do that in bot missions. you benefit a lot more from working together, as people can cover different angles, and someone being suppressed by 10,000 rockets can have someone else picking off enemies. additionally, bot tactical objectives are much more dangerous (although that partly varies on your kit).

i see bug players wandering off and dying constantly on bot missions - not cuz they're bad at the game, but they aren't used to needing teamwork.

I don’t think people appreciate the degree to which you absolutely need cover to fight bots. Shield gen pack and ballistic shield help fudge it a bit but they’re not standins for actual cover. And to that end, you also need to kite bots so you’re not surrounded, which means being mindful of bot drop locations and patrols. A badly placed bot drop and a patrol that cuts off your retreat is really hard to outplay.

I hot dropped some pubbies last night and they all died fighting in the open then quit rather than retreat to cover with me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

jokes posted:

Bots are extremely accurate and it's quite annoying to just get gatted constantly. I feel like reducing their accuracy and upping their fire rate would be a good idea.

Bugs, at least, are avoidable.

Suppression does work on them. I know it doesn't solve the problem but still

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah bots are an ideal case for shooting backwards

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Jerkface posted:

but when I play with randos and they are getting like 100 kills per match it just feels pointless lol

Mission Complete is Mission Complete. :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dren posted:

I don’t think people appreciate the degree to which you absolutely need cover to fight bots. Shield gen pack and ballistic shield help fudge it a bit but they’re not standins for actual cover. And to that end, you also need to kite bots so you’re not surrounded, which means being mindful of bot drop locations and patrols. A badly placed bot drop and a patrol that cuts off your retreat is really hard to outplay.

I really wanna try that shield with pummeler build but i also can not stop using autocannon vs bots it just FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS GOOOOOOOOD

Black Noise posted:

[img-the I'm doing my part helldiver thats a thinly disguised automaton]

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Black Noise posted:

hey look, you still call a guy who graduated at the very bottom of his med school "doctor"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pharmaskittle posted:

hey look, you still call a guy who graduated at the very bottom of his med school "doctor"

Newest patch should add level 151 and a title, Dr. Helldiver.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Black Noise posted:

This guy playing Hacksaw Ridge

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah but rapid-fire weapons are usually the worst choice of weapons against bots

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Black Noise posted:

Lol was he the host? I actually ran into an AFK host the other day, they dropped in and did absolutely nothing, but was sure ready to start the next mission immediately after we got back to the ship

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Tried to jump in a game on lunch break and couldn’t connect to anything :(

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

johnny park posted:

Lol was he the host? I actually ran into an AFK host the other day, they dropped in and did absolutely nothing, but was sure ready to start the next mission immediately after we got back to the ship

I was hosting a bug4 to cruise around and threw the SOS only for it to bring in a lvl13 dude that got his support weapon and then laid on a rock while I did all the activities by myself :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Video Nasty posted:

I was hosting a bug4 to cruise around and threw the SOS only for it to bring in a lvl13 dude that got his support weapon and then laid on a rock while I did all the activities by myself :(

If you were the host, why not kick them?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Video Nasty posted:

thats how newbies get energy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

suppression is a lot like CC in that it has to have an outsized effect to be worth not just shooting the bots in the face, feel like its not as good as something like MG suppression in the battlefield games or games where shooting in the vicinity of enemies forces them into cover and they can't shoot. Of all the bots that attack you which ones actually get suppressed? I've probably noticed it really only on the grunt bots but again im usually just shooting to kill.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 14, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It works on the enemies we don't care about suppressing.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

johnny park posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVt49l6aP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Lobok posted:

If you were the host, why not kick them?

I don’t mind handing out free XP but it was weird that nobody else joined despite the SOS