Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So how come you need gasmasks for krypton, but helium neon and xenon are totally breathable? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Trebuchet King posted:

So they've all made new stuff, they've been there a while, but looking at their planets it looks like none of them have been building up. I guess they don't need to, but somehow it still strikes me as off.

I thought that was what Jane was doing when she jumped through the portal, but I guess that makes no sense as they weren't over a house. Are the portals always over a player's house?

Now what has Dad been up to all this time, I wonder.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Suaimhneas posted:

So how come you need gasmasks for krypton, but helium neon and xenon are totally breathable? :raise:

I think only LOTAK's atompshere is made up of a gas that isn't oxygen. The other planets probably feature the gas in some different way; LOTAK just has it all over the air.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Yeah, LOMAX looks like it keeps most of the Xenon in the giant X-trench thing.

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm still not certain if this was the case, or if they were actually doing well and Damara had to keep going back and sabotaging things to keep them on the alpha timeline (the one where they fail, scratch, and create the universe they're created in)

We're told she did a lot of hopping around time screwing things up, and the other A1 trolls think it's just because she's crazy, but it seems suspiciously like the opposite of Aradia's role in her session to me!

Arenea mentions in one of the walkarounds that they were all too focused on personal drama to get anything done. Plus just look at who they had to work with, out of the twelve of them, only four or five were actually worth a drat. Just imagine that crew trying to fight the black king.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think it's just the quantity of krypton in the air is great enough that one would asphyxiate if you breathed the atmosphere of LOTAK

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

David Copperfield posted:

Also, I wonder what Sawtooth and Squarewave are up to, seeing as they brought 2 houses, one filled with dead bodies, into Skaia.

You don't know that! We haven't seen the houses and so the carapace people are totally all alive and just hanging out there keeping things under control while everyone else is out adventuring. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Yeah, LOMAX looks like it keeps most of the Xenon in the giant X-trench thing.

Arenea mentions in one of the walkarounds that they were all too focused on personal drama to get anything done. Plus just look at who they had to work with, out of the twelve of them, only four or five were actually worth a drat. Just imagine that crew trying to fight the black king.

Similarly, LOPAN seemed to keep most of the Neon in those pyramids.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Where the hell is Dad?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

David Copperfield posted:

As far as I know, yep!

Also, I wonder what Sawtooth and Squarewave are up to, seeing as they brought 2 houses, one filled with dead bodies, into Skaia.

Corpse party puppet show.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Looks like this was something he was planning for a while, for those curious.

Hussie posted:

Over the last week I flew down to Florida, signed 13,000 prints, and made a four minute Flash animation using someone else's weird computer and their ancient, tiny Wacom tablet. Best vacation, or sldkfjdklfj vacation? This is a question that is as meaningless as it is unanswerable. (BTW, the time crunch had nothing to do with the brevity of this act. The old "one page sub-act trick" was part of the A6 battle plan more than a year ago.)

I will get on a plane and return tonight. More updates tomorrow probably. My hand is permanently stuck in a looping autograph motion, so they might look kinda funny.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm hoping the next time we see the four nobles, they're retreating to their home which their carapace friends have kept tidy for them while Dad has baked them some delicious cakes to help them unwind.

More likely: they missing carapace-folk are not mentioned ever again and Dad's still just missing.

The whole time-skip thing is very much in keeping with Hussie's style (show a dramatic thing happening, then jump forward and let the readers work out the consequences) but I do worry that in this case it might be underscoring how the post-scratch kids aren't really as important as the main kids. Which they're not, narratively, they're supporting cast, but it'd be a bit of a pity for them to be introduced at great expense then shuffled out of the way to make room for the 'real' story's arrival.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Suaimhneas posted:

Helium is breathable. In decompression chambers used for saturation diving divers breathe a mixture of helium and oxygen, since nitrogen doesn't respond well to pressure.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Dolash posted:

The whole time-skip thing is very much in keeping with Hussie's style (show a dramatic thing happening, then jump forward and let the readers work out the consequences) but I do worry that in this case it might be underscoring how the post-scratch kids aren't really as important as the main kids. Which they're not, narratively, they're supporting cast, but it'd be a bit of a pity for them to be introduced at great expense then shuffled out of the way to make room for the 'real' story's arrival.

That's better than going on about their drama for a year.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

The only pity is that the time skipping didn't come earlier and more often.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

kjetting posted:

Helium is breathable. In decompression chambers used for saturation diving divers breathe a mixture of helium and oxygen, since nitrogen doesn't respond well to pressure.

Depends on what "breathable" means. If you breathe only helium, you're still going to die. It's just that that's not going to happen if there's anything else around since it's so light. Neon's much heavier than helium, but still substantially lighter than air.

Krypton, though, is significantly heavier than air, so you may be in trouble if you get too much of it in your lungs. (Or your brain.) Xenon is heavier still, but as has been pointed out it doesn't seem to be all over the place on LOMAX, just in that x-trench.

Of course, as far as the story is concerned these are presumably actually all magic video game gasses anyway, to go with the pot-of-jam volcanoes and such.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gabriel Pope posted:

The only pity is that the time skipping didn't come earlier and more often.

Actually, it might've been interesting if all of the previous acts about the post-scratch kids had been done like this, or close to this, so that we only had fleeting glances to tell us what the deal with these new kids was. Maintain the mystery and anticipation for when our heroes arrive. I guess that might've worked if they'd been more like their pre-scratch Guardian selves (which is to say, fairly distant and mysterious) rather than independent characters in their own right.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Well Manicured Man posted:

I like to think of the Beta kids' session as a tool-assisted speedrun.

The trolls being the tools. It fits.

Suaimhneas posted:

Krypton is not just an asphyxiant gas (as in, it's useless to us and displaces oxygen); it's also a narcotic. Wikipedia:

quote:

Precautions

Krypton is considered to be a non-toxic asphyxiant.[29] Krypton has a narcotic potency seven times greater than air, so breathing a gas containing 50% krypton and 50% air would cause narcosis similar to breathing air at four times atmospheric pressure. This would be comparable to scuba diving at a depth of 30 m (100 ft) (see nitrogen narcosis) and potentially could affect anyone breathing it. Nevertheless, that mixture would contain only 10% oxygen and hypoxia would be a greater concern.

Helium, on the other hand, is less narcotic than air, which is why divers introduce progressively greater proportions of it in their gas mix for greater pressures.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

Fister Roboto posted:

Helium mixed with oxygen up to a certain concentration is breathable. Pure helium gas, not so much.

The atmosphere in the Land of Frost and Frogs wasn't made of pure frog gas. There's helium, but not just that. If the atmosphere in LOCAH was pure helium, the balloons wouldn't work, since they wouldn't be buoyant compared to the helium around them, which is unburdened by a rain-carrying balloon.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 12, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kjetting posted:

Helium mixed with oxygen up to a certain concentration is breathable. Pure helium gas, not so much.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Somehow this discussion got nerdier than the usual MSPA discussion. Did not know that was possible...

(Yay science.)

BTW someone bold my name and let me know if they want an avatar based on this flash.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Very enjoyable update.
Cool new threads for some, funny costumes for others. Amazingly pretty planets and a portal gun. Pretty much everything a good act needs. Maybe could have used some Squarewave and Sawtooth action but you can't ask for the moon every sub-act.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I thought that was what Jane was doing when she jumped through the portal, but I guess that makes no sense as they weren't over a house. Are the portals always over a player's house?

Now what has Dad been up to all this time, I wonder.

Well, there's the stacked gates above the houses, but there's the return gates (or was it return nodes) scattered about the planet that bring the player back as well. I'm assuming the portaljump gate is a return gate.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think Jake's tattoo is actually Ben Stiller as Sweet Bro? That was my first guess on seeing it anyway.

And it's cool/creepy as all gently caress how, since no prototyping was done AT ALL, the imps don't even have flesh :stare:

I assumed that Jake prototyped a skull or something, but I guess this would work too.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Reene posted:

I assumed that Jake prototyped a skull or something, but I guess this would work too.

But then it wouldn't be a void session. He could have prototyped anything post-entry like what happened Tavrissprite, but that doesn't affect the imps.

I really like the idea that all the enemies in the game are nothing but animated skeletons without any pre-entry prototyping. It's creepy and really drives home the idea that failing to prototype before you enter the medium (therefore producing a void session) is Wrong with a capital W.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

The upper half of them look like Chell's long-fall boots, so I assumed they were some sort of a alchemized super-jump or take-no-fall-damage shoes he made using his rap robot's legs.

...which is weird, since he already had rocketboard, and why would he need either of those abilities when he could just use what he had or make pshoes?

Combustion doesn't work in an atmosphere made of krypton gas!

Which doesn't exactly explain why Jake's still using guns.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe they're just airsofts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think alchemized guns technically count as magical guns (where magic isn't fake as poo poo).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bongo Bill posted:

:pseudo: The atmosphere is probably not 100% krypton gas -- it's probably got oxygen, just not enough oxygen to breathe unaided without asphyxiating. Hence why they are using gas masks and not SCUBA gear.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Trebuchet King posted:

Well, there's the stacked gates above the houses, but there's the return gates (or was it return nodes) scattered about the planet that bring the player back as well. I'm assuming the portaljump gate is a return gate.

There are also the gates that take you to other players' lands. Remember that John's Gate 1 dropped him off in LOWAS, and then Terezi (eventually) gave him a map leading him to Gate 2, hidden away somewhere on the planet? And that gate took him to LOLAR. So I figured the gate Jane/Roxy were heading through was one of those.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Well Manicured Man posted:

But then it wouldn't be a void session. He could have prototyped anything post-entry like what happened Tavrissprite, but that doesn't affect the imps.

I really like the idea that all the enemies in the game are nothing but animated skeletons without any pre-entry prototyping. It's creepy and really drives home the idea that failing to prototype before you enter the medium (therefore producing a void session) is Wrong with a capital W.

Yeah, post-entry prototyping would have worked.

But the "they're literally skeletons without prototyping" thing works too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I had assumed that the monsters are undead because everything on the planets is dead, apart from flora.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a good thing they made their particularly odd, circuitous entry into the medium, or else appearing on a planet without a breathable atmosphere might be a very quick way to lose a life.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
We see unprototyped Imps here though.

I think to coincide with the fact that everything is dead in this session, so are the enemy game constructs.

That doesn't really... stop them or anything. They are just dead. poo poo whare's the cleric

Dolash posted:

It's a good thing they made their particularly odd, circuitous entry into the medium, or else appearing on a planet without a breathable atmosphere might be a very quickhilarious way to lose a life.

Fixed that for you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

This has already been beaten to death, but it looks like the other three worlds have their respective gases isolated to a certain game construct. Helium refers to the balloons, Neon is in the pyramids, and Xenon is in that giant X canyon. Dirk's world is the only one where the gas is just a freefloating poison in the atmosphere, because Dirk is Hard Core.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Dolash posted:

It's a good thing they made their particularly odd, circuitous entry into the medium, or else appearing on a planet without a breathable atmosphere might be a very quick way to lose a life.

Except that any timeline in which that happened would be doomed, so there's really no Alpha scenario in which that could happen.

In fact the whole Alpha Timeline thing is kind of a guarantee that stuff like this won't stop whatever's supposed to be happening from happening.

Anyway, I love that all the planets are themed after death and inertia. It makes for some fantastic visuals that are still appropriate to the fact it's a void session.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Pyradox posted:

Except that any timeline in which that happened would be doomed, so there's really no Alpha scenario in which that could happen.

I hope you realize that you seem to have inadvertently claimed that people can't die in Homestuck's alpha timeline!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

My guess/hope is that the skeletal minions are somehow animated by Jane's life powers as a means of giving the kids something to fight and propel themselves up the echeladder with.

That'd make life a hella boss aspect.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

So they've all made new stuff, they've been there a while, but looking at their planets it looks like none of them have been building up. I guess they don't need to, but somehow it still strikes me as off.

Well, it is the sprites that tell you to build. If they haven't prototyped, either because Jane's freaked them out or something offscreen happened, there's no one to give that hint.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the point when everyone ends up being able to fly anyways?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Literally Sharks posted:

I hope you realize that you seem to have inadvertently claimed that people can't die in Homestuck's alpha timeline!

Let me clarify: They can't die for stupid reasons that prohibit important, necessary stuff they have to do later, because the alpha timeline is defined by them living long enough to do those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

change my name posted:

What's the point when everyone ends up being able to fly anyways?

Not everyone. Karkat remained landbound.