Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bregor posted:

In addition to the other replies, there's a thread about it in the LP section: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629952

I'm offended that Mega64 posted in that thread but didn't think to inform me of it. t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Ehhh, a boat oar versus a katana...

Wait, I've seen that before.

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=40 ???

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm offended that Mega64 posted in that thread but didn't think to inform me of it. t:mad:

I'll be sure to bring up every FF5 LP that pops up from now on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

I'll be sure to bring up every FF5 LP that pops up from now on.

What else is guild chat for? :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

If you added specific abilities getting MP quickly was actually quite easy, especially since enemies would drop bubbles which refilled your MP automatically. The problem was though was why use magic and waste the MP for anything that wasn't super good when you can just slap everything around with sword.

Phantom. That's why. gently caress that boss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nobody likes Phantom, don't worry.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantom is easy because of MP Gift

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Harlock posted:

Kingdom Hearts without Disney

Also now that I'm playing FFXHD, I forgot how long the intro was. Like 2 hours and I'm still not out of Besaid yet.

No fuckin kidding. Unpopular opinion but I really miss long games like this. I'm 8 hrs plus in and I just got to the part where Seymour is exposed.

Though I did replay the blitzball game 3 times since I never won it the first time around

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

No fuckin kidding. Unpopular opinion but I really miss long games like this. I'm 8 hrs plus in and I just got to the part where Seymour is exposed.

Though I did replay the blitzball game 3 times since I never won it the first time around

You're moving at a pretty decent clip, I think it usually takes me about 10 to get to Operation Mi'hen.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hmph...a Kingdom Hearts battle system will be alright if it's based on KH1--that is to say, magic actually matters and you have a variety of skills to hotbar and you can play as a melee guy, a mage guy, or support guy, and hopefully alternate between the two. KH2's battle system was so absurdly streamlined it became unfun to play, just smashing through super weak enemies or wailing on absurdly hard bosses until I got a QTE to win.

Uh magic was awesome in KH2, Reflect alone is the most broken ability in the series.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh magic was awesome in KH2, Reflect alone is the most broken ability in the series.

I literally do not remember casting any spells in KH2. I must have used Cure at some point, surely. I just remember rooms full of enemies, villains who I liked more than my heroes, an aversion to all forms of water and dancing, and a strange, unshakable need to get onto the Hydra's back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I literally do not remember casting any spells in KH2. I must have used Cure at some point, surely. I just remember rooms full of enemies, villains who I liked more than my heroes, an aversion to all forms of water and dancing, and a strange, unshakable need to get onto the Hydra's back.

You missed some incredibly good spells then and the Organization XIII Data fights, especially on Pride/Critical, are made a lot easier using Reflect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spells ruled in KH2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Other than the dancing water fight this is basically my memory. There was Tron world which was good. Pirates of the Caribbean planet was garbage. I killed lots of things while a child of indeterminate age longed to be reunited with another child and I guess a third one had some sort of plot motivation I apparently wasn't worthy of being told.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

You missed some incredibly good spells then and the Organization XIII Data fights, especially on Pride/Critical, are made a lot easier using Reflect.

I barely had the motivation to beat the regular game. After the disco light show at the top of anime skyscraper tower, I was very done with the Kingdom Hearts games, and have indeed not played another since. Do it on HARD mode? Ha ha ah ahahaahano.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hell, I finished KH2 on Proud difficulty and the only things I remember are glide-cheesing Sephiroth, that I really hated the Mulan planet's boss, and that there was some sort of final boss with QTE armor with... a lot of white light? I legitimately didn't even remember that there were Tron and Pirates planets, and I have an absolutely fantastic memory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a Mulan planet? poo poo. I also can't remember the final boss because between two games I can only remember a large boat like thing with a guys torso slapped onto it that floats in space and I'll be damned if I could say thats number one or number twos final boss.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That was KH2. I remember pretty much everything from the Kingdom Hearts games, so I guess I'm a wacky aberration here. They were all dumb as hell though, so you're not missing much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

There was a Mulan planet? poo poo. I also can't remember the final boss because between two games I can only remember a large boat like thing with a guys torso slapped onto it that floats in space and I'll be damned if I could say thats number one or number twos final boss.
That actually was the final boss of 1.

The final boss of 2 was a dude with two lightsabers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If FFXV is gonna resemble a Kingdom Hearts game, why not one of the five that have come out since KHII, most of which had far superior battle systems??

I am counting Re:Chain as a separate title, ok

Edit: Land of Dragons was the first world you go to in KHII... Outside Twilight Town, of course

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 14, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Maltose posted:

That was KH2. I remember pretty much everything from the Kingdom Hearts games, so I guess I'm a wacky aberration here. They were all dumb as hell though, so you're not missing much.

Why would you not remember everything from KH? They are the superior games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Endorph posted:

That actually was the final boss of 1.

The final boss of 2 was a dude with two lightsabers.

No what about when you fight the giant dragon thing for no reason, then fight Xehanort armor sitting on a throne in a battleship, throwing buildings at you? Those are part of the final boss fight.

3D has like, seven final bosses.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No what about when you fight the giant dragon thing for no reason, then fight Xehanort armor sitting on a throne in a battleship, throwing buildings at you? Those are part of the final boss fight.

3D has like, seven final bosses.

2 has 1 final boss in 7 parts instead and I'm not sure that's better.

Just play 3D and BBS. Those have the best battle systems of KH games. Unless you like CoM's card thing.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 14, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much anything is better than 358/2 Days system at least.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much anything is better than 358/2 Days system at least.
And pretty much anything is better than its title, too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And pretty much anything is better than its title, too.

I swear Square-Enix has begun hiring asylum patients to come up with titles because so many of them are bad

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
KH2's magic was a lot of fun, especially once you started mixing it with the better drive forms.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly KH2 would probably translate pretty well to FF. Every single option you have is bafflingly broken and if you take just a little bit of time to figure out how they work you can smash the game over your knee? Sounds like FF to me.

Though I guess Re:CoM would work nicely too in the "literally just mash one button to win" aspect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like KH1, KH2, and BBS so I should probably get around to 3D at some point. When I tried the demo everything was WAY too zoomed in but maybe it's better now that I have an XL.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Orphanage reveal in FFVIII isn't bad because it doesn't make logical sense although 'Oh, I didn't want to mention it because it might be awkward' is kinda lame but because it's a huge chunk of dry exposition that adds no meaningful context to the conflicts at hand.

Squall working out that Ellone was 'Sis' and the source of his crippling abandonment issues seems important but changes nothing about his aims and objectives. Similarly 'Matron' being Edea, Seifer alone being behind the torture (obvious in hindsight), Zell being adopted, Quistis not really being in love with Squall...

Everyone fights with Seifer because he bullied them at the orphanage? Not because he's still a dick all the time? How enlightening!

Thematically it's obviously in line with the rest of the game. Memories, loss, time, family etc. it's all there. But it ain't half full of needless information.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

sassassin posted:

The Orphanage reveal in FFVIII isn't bad because it doesn't make logical sense although 'Oh, I didn't want to mention it because it might be awkward' is kinda lame but because it's a huge chunk of dry exposition that adds no meaningful context to the conflicts at hand.

Squall working out that Ellone was 'Sis' and the source of his crippling abandonment issues seems important but changes nothing about his aims and objectives. Similarly 'Matron' being Edea, Seifer alone being behind the torture (obvious in hindsight), Zell being adopted, Quistis not really being in love with Squall...

Everyone fights with Seifer because he bullied them at the orphanage? Not because he's still a dick all the time? How enlightening!

Thematically it's obviously in line with the rest of the game. Memories, loss, time, family etc. it's all there. But it ain't half full of needless information.

You've nailed it, I think. The other major problem I had with it was the presentation - it's ostensibly this major revelation, but it occurs in such an underwhelming scene, not really instigated by anything in particular. But I'll shut up now because it seems that all I do is bitch about this disappointing 15 year old game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Unpopular opinion but I really miss long games like this.

If FFX was a good game, maybe I could agree with you.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If FFXV is gonna resemble a Kingdom Hearts game, why not one of the five that have come out since KHII, most of which had far superior battle systems??

I am counting Re:Chain as a separate title, ok

Because it's not a KH title, it's an action RPG being directed by Tetsuya Nomura and has a lot of the original KH team involved so it's gonna be similar but I think they're gonna go for their own thing, especially now since KH3 is being developed for the same consoles.

FFXV is by far my most anticipated game. Out of all the big guns at S-E who seem to still be allowed to direct a game I probably trust Nomura more than anybody else. Especially since XV seems like his dream project. I think that we'll probably see more this E3 and I'm super excited.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I hereby declare Fiesta season open! :toot:

I am mad that the archives are down, I can't go and recover my :words: post on Chemists/!Mix or the picture of the Berserker Tree. :(

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like KH1, KH2, and BBS so I should probably get around to 3D at some point. When I tried the demo everything was WAY too zoomed in but maybe it's better now that I have an XL.

BBS is even more zoomed in than 3D, just so ya know

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Do you mean at Macalania temple? My gf and I just got there and we're at 25 hours!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
A few pages late, but that SE report made me groan out loud. God, I hate gaming on smart phones. It's so loving uncomfortable. I tried FFV and I seriously have so much trouble hitting the right panel (Fight, Magic, Item) because I accidentally hit the wrong thing. And navigation is utterly pitiful- really, that stupid piddly little compass that makes the screen even harder to see than it already is? I purchased a 3DS and PsVita specifically for gaming on the go. They need to leave the smartphones alone and focus on them. My iphone is for texting, calling, GPSing, listening to music and sometimes watching Youtube video if I want to show it to someone.

At least there's Atlus & Nintedo picking up in their slack. They actually get it.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2014

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, with Yuna only modestly leveled the Magus Sisters can kick most arena creatures teeth in. Too bad most arena things don't drop much useful stuff. Just keep beating up the dragon for Light Curtains. Was annoyed I got the rare Dark Matter drop instead of the regular luck sphere drop when I breather Greater Sphere.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Epi Lepi posted:

Do you mean at Macalania temple? My gf and I just got there and we're at 25 hours!

Yea. Maybe I should check my actual time played...

edit: Make that 17 hours

forbidden lesbian posted:

If FFX was a good game, maybe I could agree with you.

Glad you brought this up. FFX is mostly nostalgia based ill admit. It was my first FF game, I bought VII a few years ago but just couldnt get past the graphics, almost bought XIII before I saw the horrible goon reviews but if anyone has a recommendation of one to play preferably with X graphics or newer im all over it

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think FFX is a good game. Still replaying it, the regular version not the HD one. I've been at the end for a while, monster arena, Omega Ruins, celestials, etc. etc. In that place you inevitably get to in FF where you stop playing frequently and just pop it in occasionally to beat up some dudes for a bit.