Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stuntman posted:

This isn't going to work, my dude. You already owned yourself.

Owned myself real hard by posting about a lovely part of a game in the "complain about lovely parts of games" thread, right.

You guys are all agreeing with Tiggum, btw.

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't played HR, but I remember that in Deus Ex the ending depended quite literally on pressing buttons with different labels.

Uh yeah if by "pressing buttons with different labels" you mean "going and blowing up different parts of Area 51 and doing a bunch of tasks", which is like the polar opposite of "just pressing buttons with different labels", but sure. Like, are you sure you didn't play HR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wooper posted:

Every video game ending is just you pressing different buttons on your keyboard/controller.

mind = blown

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Miitopia: wait..that's it? huh, ok. why did they wait until like the end of the game to give me the Traveler's Hub, which lets occasionally lets me get new classes for my characters? Why is there no New Game + that keeps my current miis in the mii hotel that it introduces when you beat the game? I'd at least like to start over with the new classes it introduces like right at the end of the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

You guys are all agreeing with Tiggum, btw.

Oh no other people are agreeing with someone you disagree with

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Attack ideas not posters

Nerds!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The original Deus Ex didn't even have a final boss, you just picked which terminal or button in the big open room full of infinitely-respawning monsters you wanted to press to get one of three unchanging endings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Splatoon, I do not give one ioata of a gently caress what the current map rotation is when I boot up the game. Just, shut up and let me play.

It doesnt help I cant stand Marina because she looks like shes constantly on the verge tears and its so horribly off putting. She looks like a hostage begging for her life.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

every game is a QTE writ large

It's funny this is being brought up, because just last night on his stream, Rich Evans from RLM was ranting about QTEs and press-X-to-do-this mechanics. He got more salty when the chat pointed out that he praised Doom's glory-kill system, he got angrier because he couldn't think of a rebuttal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Barudak posted:

Splatoon, I do not give one ioata of a gently caress what the current map rotation is when I boot up the game. Just, shut up and let me play.

It doesnt help I cant stand Marina because she looks like shes constantly on the verge tears and its so horribly off putting. She looks like a hostage begging for her life.

She is a member of the main characters' enemy race living in their city so

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guy Mann posted:

The original Deus Ex didn't even have a final boss, you just picked which terminal or button in the big open room full of infinitely-respawning monsters you wanted to press to get one of three unchanging endings.

You are really simplifying it. It was not all in one big open room and it involved more than just pressing a button.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_endings

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Calaveron posted:

She is a member of the main characters' enemy race living in their city so

dude calling the black girl an "enemy race" is pretty loving harsh

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

It's funny this is being brought up, because just last night on his stream, Rich Evans from RLM was ranting about QTEs and press-X-to-do-this mechanics. He got more salty when the chat pointed out that he praised Doom's glory-kill system, he got angrier because he couldn't think of a rebuttal.

I'd probably get wound up if I was having to deal with people who think one good example outweighs all the terrible ones.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A sync kill is not a QTE.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

I'd probably get wound up if I was having to deal with people who think one good example outweighs all the terrible ones.

Also they aren't really QTEs, it's a single button press with a long cinematic animation, not a series of 'do or die' presses to watch a cutscene.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So basically it's only a QTE if not pressing it means you have to repeat a section of gameplay over. Like that boulder in RE4.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In the original QTE nightmare god of war there were things that were kinda like glory kills. Enemies would get a button floating over their head and a stagger animation, except when you hit the button you had to hit a number MORE buttons and if you failed the enemy would be unstunned. Success gave you more health/mana just like glory kills do. So we even have an example of what 'glory kills are QTEs' would actually entail.

DO4M is good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Ys: Oath in Felghana could really tone down the amount of flying enemies. And also make bosses not be exercises in memorization.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked the idea of QTE kills in God Of War, but there was only one animation that played ever for each one, if they could have mixed it up it would take a lot longer to get old. Then they went and used QTEs for faux-platforming sections a bunch of times and that's where it really felt like the start of "press X to not die" replacing actual game mechanics

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was about halfway through God of War 3 when I decided I was done with QTEs forever. The last Splatterhouse game had a similar problem, too, in that it felt necessary to do a QTE on anything and everything you could to get healing. They were big, vulgar, and repetitive as gently caress. I can only masturbate a tentacle monster's face to death so many times...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

See also RYSE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Human Revolution's push button ending is embarrassing and a clear sign they ran out of time/money, but lol at acting like the thin veneer of gameplay placed over DX1's endings is infinitely better. IW's end sequence is arguably a further step better but still ends up boiling down to shooting whoever you've decided are the bad guys. All of them, obviously. Omar supremacy motherfuckers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I played obduction, point and click by Cyan Worlds (the Myst guys), when it came out earlier this year and am about to start an LP of it and one thing keeps bothering me.

Sure the last ~33% of the game is weaker, puzzle-wise, than the first two thirds, but the real kicker is the ending.

In all the myst games there has been a 'choose between red/blue' switch to throw, but the correct option is always hidden behind some complex puzzle and requries you to actually think to find. In obduction there is only the red/blue switch and it's actually a good/bad switch instead of the false choice bad/bad that most myst games give. I'm still salty about it, what a weak ending to an otherwise good game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Terminally Bored posted:

Ys: Oath in Felghana could really tone down the amount of flying enemies. And also make bosses not be exercises in memorization.

Isnt Ys bosses being memorization exercises kind of the point of the series?

I only played the latter entries but I always enjoy learning tough enemy patterns and the bosses were always a high point for me.

Much adrenaline and all that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oath has a few really good bosses and a bunch of memorization ones, most of which are still good. The final boss is utter shite though.

Also Doom glory kills suck too

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Human Revolution's push button ending is embarrassing and a clear sign they ran out of time/money, but lol at acting like the thin veneer of gameplay placed over DX1's endings is infinitely better. IW's end sequence is arguably a further step better but still ends up boiling down to shooting whoever you've decided are the bad guys. All of them, obviously. Omar supremacy motherfuckers.

The thing for me is that, after maybe the third your-choices-matter game that ever came out that ends in 2-3 endings, people would realize that developers aren't generally going to create games with numerous different, branching storylines. But no, we always hear people upset over the game ending with one of three ways.

poo poo, I remember learning that lesson in 96 with Wing Commander 4. Don't defect the second time you're offered? You're dead. Take X mission over Y mission? Mark Hammil dubbed in a line specific for Mission X and Y off-screen so that they didn't have to film two scenes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

Human Revolution's endings are actually more involved than the original, too. In the original Deus Ex whether you were a total pacifist or a killing machine that left no vulnerable NPC alive you always had the same three ending options available to you and they always played out the same 20-second cutscene once you activated them. Human Revolution you have to actually go out of your way to rescue side characters in Panchaea to even be able to select half of them and while the actual endings are just narration over b-roll footage they at least tried to have your gameplay choices effect them by having different narration based on your playstyle.

Though in a way we lucked out by them running out of time and money because per the commentary originally Adam was going to be mortally wounded by the final boss blowing up and they would have a protracted interactive scene of Jensen dragging himself to the button room a la the microwave hall in MGS4 while all the characters with access to your comms tried their best to persuade you to choose the ending they wanted.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBibs posted:

The thing for me is that, after maybe the third your-choices-matter game that ever came out that ends in 2-3 endings, people would realize that developers aren't generally going to create games with numerous different, branching storylines. But no, we always hear people upset over the game ending with one of three ways.

poo poo, I remember learning that lesson in 96 with Wing Commander 4. Don't defect the second time you're offered? You're dead. Take X mission over Y mission? Mark Hammil dubbed in a line specific for Mission X and Y off-screen so that they didn't have to film two scenes.

That's not what anyone was talking about.

Also given it was the best new feature of HR the game really should've ended with some kind of talk fight. Maybe an option to talk the Pangaea...whatever the gently caress the core thing was supposed to be...to death. Or maybe a multi-person debate between the various factions trying to convince you to take their path.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I see everyone forgot the ending of mankind divided, just like the developers forgot to put it in

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I see everyone forgot the ending of mankind divided, just like the developers forgot to put it in

md had an ending?

Guy Mann posted:

that's fine. the game's bosses weren't really fun. it was more fun to find ways around their fights.

there's a reason two of them have killphrases.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Aug 4, 2017

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
In MD you talk to the quest giver and he tell you well done on your quest, and before he could give you your next one it cut to credits.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't played HR, but I remember that in Deus Ex the ending depended quite literally on pressing buttons with different labels.

DX had three ways to end the game and they required you to disable different parts of a large machine. HR had a room with three buttons.

Errant Signal said it best that DX doesn't feel good to play - shooting's stat-based, stealth is wonky, and there's first-person platforming - but the appeal of it was that if you understood the underlying mechanics of the game you could play in a way where it always felt like you were gaming the game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ILL TAKE THE GEP GUN

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The original Deus Ex didn't have a bunch of ending slides or anything, but the different endings involved different gameplay areas.

Also it came out forever ago.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

That's not what anyone was talking about.

It's entirely part of the discussion, though. As long as games have had multiple endings based on what you did, there's always been the three buttons. Or two. Or four.

Content: I totally love the recently-released game Slime Rancher for its charm and mostly chill gameplay. I say mostly chill, because the hybriding mechanic of the titular slimes ups my stress levels.

Let's say you've got a red and a blue slime. Each one, on their own, shits out red poop or blue poop. If a red slime eats a blue poop (or vice versa), they'll become a large purple slime that shits out a red and blue poop. However, you absolutely cannot have that larger purple slime eat another color poop (say, a green one), because they'll turn into a Tarr, a monster that'll eat other slimes around it. I've already come back from hunting to find a bunch of pure slimes inexplicably hybridized, so I just know a Tarr situation is going to happen, at some point, so it's always on my mind when playing.

The closest thing to this is when I play Elder Scrolls / Bethesda games with companions. Have I had one randomly glitch out and leave? No. Am I aware that it's possible? Yes. Does it change my gameplay just because I know it might happen? Hell yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

food court bailiff posted:

I'm not even talking about the story (although they were much, much better in DX and IW)
The Deus Ex games all have incredibly dumb and bad stories. Trying to determine which one is best is like picking which of your limbs you'd like broken - the answer is none of them, those are all terrible options.

John Murdoch posted:

Omar supremacy motherfuckers.
100%.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MisterBibs posted:

B-but Alpha Protocol!

But also Witcher 2 split the middle half of the game in two different paths depending on what you did. Technically so did unmemorable PS2 JRPG Radiata Stories.

Depending on what you do in Tyranny there's a couple different endings slides. Also there's no one single final boss. Instead there's three guys (technically four but one doesn't fight), and which ones you have to fight depend on which choices you made.

First up you're given a choice between two of them, Nerat and Ashe, and told to decide which one is more of an rear end. Once you present enough evidence, the execution Mark will say "yeah I can just kill them for you, unless you wanna do it personally". If you let them kill one of them, he does it.

Then Mark will fight you, unless you're super-buddy-buddy with him but doing that is pretty hard. But if he's you're buddy then hey, no fight there either!

After that you have to go after the last guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The thing dragging Tyranny down was that it ended the moment it was starting to get marginally interesting.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tyranny really felt incomplete but I think they were doing that whole 'intended multiple playthroughs' thing, which is fine and all but I felt my one singular playthrough was maybe less satisfying because of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MisterBibs posted:

It's entirely part of the discussion, though. As long as games have had multiple endings based on what you did, there's always been the three buttons. Or two. Or four.

Content: I totally love the recently-released game Slime Rancher for its charm and mostly chill gameplay. I say mostly chill, because the hybriding mechanic of the titular slimes ups my stress levels.

Let's say you've got a red and a blue slime. Each one, on their own, shits out red poop or blue poop. If a red slime eats a blue poop (or vice versa), they'll become a large purple slime that shits out a red and blue poop. However, you absolutely cannot have that larger purple slime eat another color poop (say, a green one), because they'll turn into a Tarr, a monster that'll eat other slimes around it. I've already come back from hunting to find a bunch of pure slimes inexplicably hybridized, so I just know a Tarr situation is going to happen, at some point, so it's always on my mind when playing.

The closest thing to this is when I play Elder Scrolls / Bethesda games with companions. Have I had one randomly glitch out and leave? No. Am I aware that it's possible? Yes. Does it change my gameplay just because I know it might happen? Hell yes.

Make sure your corrals are high-walled, have the food dispensers, and, helpfully, the plort collectors. That should prevent any errant plorts or slimes from spreading.

I love this game, so chill. Running around, collecting slimes, making gordos explode, finding secrets and stuff. Would love a map, or a more coherent teleport system, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slime Rancher definitely needs work (randomly generated areas or something that's not just corridors would be nice, more ability to customize your farm, etc) but the basic interacting with slimes is good.