Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Bolow posted:

Because of the oddness with dealing with her projected barriers mostly. There's 2 hit boxes, the actual bubble it self, and the character that's shielded. Shooting either gives Zarya energy, it also allows you to double dip against certain abilities. It's why Firestrike and Symmetra orbs give you and immediate 50 energy if you take one center mass. If they only clip the shield itself you get 25 energy instead. Dragonblade also pierces barriers so despite it doing 120 damage it just instantly pops the barrier anyway because it hits the bubble and player model simultaneously.

It's like a 70-30 die/live chance Zarya vs Genji for me. Most of it involves hitting him with the primary fire then shooting the ground as he comes to gently caress me up and hoping my team damage him enough that it kill him. If it took 2 Dragonblade hits to break a barrier instead of one it would be completely game changing in that matchup. I'm not sure how I feel in regards of it though, because I really like getting 50 energy for free from Symmetra/Rein but I loving hate Genji.

Of course it should. The problem with 8 second Dragonblade is that it outlasted the defensive ults so at least 1-2 people were going to die regardless. I have no problem with Dragonblade being capable of forcing out a support ult immediately.

That's really good to know thanks. I always wondered why it only took one sword hit to break barrier. I just assumed something else was hitting me that I didn't see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite part about playing Genji is when I get killed mid Swift Strike and my body flies out of bounds and through the entire map. One time it even landed in the enemy spawn after flying through a couple walls :haw:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Guy 1: class x is op
Guy 2: no u suck, I kill class x all the time
Repeat for all of eternity

People hate Genji and Widow and McCree and Hanzo because it sucks to be one-shot or stun killed.

The problem is players at different skill levels will find different classes more or less annoying. If you play solo queue qp your experience vs Genji is going to be 100% different from rank 70 6-man competitive. Good luck making all the classes viable.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The summer games screen is back for me.

On a whim I bought a last few crates.

A LEGENDARY ZARYA!

It's cybergoth :negative:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish they had more consistency with some of these things. Flamebreak goes through Reinhardt shields, but not dvas. Reinhardt ult is blocked by other Reinhardt shields but not dvas shield; Reinhardt's shield will block meis ice beam but dvas does not.
I get that dvas shield isn't a "shield" but it's her shooting down projectiles but it's still irritating to have to trial and error your way to knowing what it blocks and what it doesn't, and then again for Reinhardt. Can dvas shield shoot down zarya ults and mei ults?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I wish they had more consistency with some of these things. Flamebreak goes through Reinhardt shields, but not dvas. Reinhardt ult is blocked by other Reinhardt shields but not dvas shield; Reinhardt's shield will block meis ice beam but dvas does not.
I get that dvas shield isn't a "shield" but it's her shooting down projectiles but it's still irritating to have to trial and error your way to knowing what it blocks and what it doesn't, and then again for Reinhardt. Can dvas shield shoot down zarya ults and mei ults?
Yes to both.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

they are actually pretty consistent. even though I don't know these answers for sure I'll make an educated guess based on established rules and say dvas sheild cannot block zarya ults but would negate a mei ult if it was tossed right into it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And even if these hit, the ult persists, an effect limited to, what, Dragon Blade, Nano Boost, and Molten Core?

And the many ults which act as projectiles rather than temporary buffs, like Blizzard, Graviton Surge, whatever Hanzo's ult is called, and the ones that are completely uninterruptible, like Zenyatta's or Mercy's.

e: I think Winston's ultimate also survives being stunned or slept, but you might want to test that one.

Chewbot posted:

People hate Genji and Widow and McCree and Hanzo because it sucks to be one-shot or stun killed.

Genji doesn't do either of those things. Dragonblade does 120 per swing, and even his old combo doesn't 100 -> 0 anyone except Tracer; M2 melee slash melee is 194 damage if all the shurikens hit (which is unlikely on a thin-hitbox character to begin with). He doesn't have a stun.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 23, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Walrus posted:

they are actually pretty consistent. even though I don't know these answers for sure I'll make an educated guess based on established rules and say dvas sheild cannot block zarya ults but would negate a mei ult if it was tossed right into it.

nope, completely eats projectiles so until zarya's ult lands its considered a projectile and gets eaten by the matrix

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people don't like genji because he has a lot of vertical and horizontal mobility (so he's hard to hit), a deflect (so even if you hit him you might not do anything), and a good ult that combos well with other ults. a good genji is obnoxious in a way that most other heroes can't even dream of because of how hard it is to even hurt the little poo poo. it's very hard to get away from him as well because he's fast and can chase you wherever you go, unlike a widow or a mccree (tho they were miles better in their heyday)

I don't mind him getting nerfed at all but it's hard to say he's overpowered tho considering he's been the same since the game went live. it's just that changes to other heroes have allowed him more free reign to do whatever he wants because a lot of his previous checks are harder to play with discord the way it is

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, if you catch them before they begin. Zarya, Hanjo and Mei's ults have a "projectile phase" as it were: Zarya's has the black hole, Mei throws snowball and Hanzo shoots an arrow that becomes the Dragons; if you catch any of those in the projectile phase with D.Va's matrix, she'll eat them up. Genji can also reflect those ults in that phase and it'll turn them against the other team.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Genji doesn't do either of those things. Dragonblade does 120 per swing, and even his old combo doesn't 100 -> 0 anyone except Tracer; M2 melee slash melee is 194 damage if all the shurikens hit (which is unlikely on a thin-hitbox character to begin with). He doesn't have a stun.

Realistically it's more like 170 damage as you swift strike to your next target then hit them with the sword.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you don't think Genji needed changes and was at least ridiculously unfun to play against compared to any other hero if not OP you are brain damaged.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

If you don't think Genji needed changes and was at least ridiculously unfun to play against compared to any other hero if not OP you are brain damaged.

lol

And with that out of the way: "fun to play as" is much more important. Losing doesn't have to feel good, it just shouldn't be for utterly unfair or game-warping reasons.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For me Genji's problem is not in his damage (although I would really like to see his DB hitbox tweaked, it's stupid big), but that's it's really, really loving hard to punish him.

I've been practising Winston lately, and the only times I've been able to successfully kill a Genji is when I catch him by surprise and my jump isn't on cooldown so I can chase him after he bails.
If he doesn't have Dash up and I jump to him I can probably get him, but it he does, even landing on top of him and opening on them with M1 they can just go "lol no" then triple jump, dash the gently caress out of your range (usually through you, so you eat that damage), and start plink-farming ult with shurikens from afar while you try and get your jump back. You can't jump in again if he falls back to his team because then you get murdered, and if you're chasing him halfway across the map he's already won because he pried you from your team.

Sure, I can chase him away if he gets too close, but he can just ninja away to a medkit and 10 seconds later I have him dragonblading my face off. :(

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The hitbox changes on the PTR are loving huge for his damage output, and ult charge rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcblNteYhM

Download the PTR and actually loving try it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Whale posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I thought she was relatively good against him since she can go through reflect.

The problem with using tanks against Genji is that although he won't easily kill most of them, he has better mobility than any of them, so they can't easily force him to stay in their range - he'll just run up a wall or something and go pick on someone else. The only tank that can even inconvenience him is Winston, and even then a careful Genji can usually evade him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bolow posted:

The hitbox changes on the PTR are loving huge for his damage output, and ult charge rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcblNteYhM

Download the PTR and actually loving try it.

He definitely didn't need a buff either, especially not in the form of something that leaves his peak output untouched but makes it easier to get there. v:shobon:v

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
If your team is getting owned by a genji, switch and do 1v1 genji duels until the fucker ragequits. Unless you are the worse genji, in which case you should uninstall post more git gud pick an actual counter.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

genji is fine. i didn't notice that much difference when playing against him on the PTR. he's still an annoying bastard.

hanzo is the real problem.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bought two crates to see if I could get Zarya's gold skin. No dice, but I did get the American McCree :911: and enough coins to buy DVA's gremlin taunt if it appears tonight.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No you're right, he can't dragonblade and dash anyone to death before they can react. You've changed my mind.

Anyway, my point was that people don't like Genji because he's annoying, and his annoyingness varies depending on your circumstances. I think you knew that though.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

CaptainScraps posted:

God yes. My girlfriend likes it to be Wesley because of Star Trek, I just thought it was a good name for an annoying baby.

Wesley either HATES it or LOVES IT

No one WANTS to be a Wesley, but it's nice to not get murdered.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chewbot posted:

No you're right, he can't dragonblade and dash anyone to death before they can react. You've changed my mind.

Anyway, my point was that people don't like Genji because he's annoying, and his annoyingness varies depending on your circumstances. I think you knew that though.

You're coming at it from the wrong angle. It's not a question of of whether "anyone" can't react; there is always a slower fish.

The question is who can, and how reliably, and how much power their character has to stop him if they react in time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Afraid of Audio posted:

nope, completely eats projectiles so until zarya's ult lands its considered a projectile and gets eaten by the matrix

ya my bad assumption was that zaryas ult was made out of the same plasma goop as her standard weapon that goes through the shield.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Walrus posted:

ya my bad assumption was that zaryas ult was made out of the same plasma goop as her standard weapon that goes through the shield.

Her alt fire doesn't go through D. Va's field either; the best rule of thumb is that beams pass through but bullets and projectiles of any kind don't.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 23, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Walrus posted:

nah its made out of the same plasma goop that makes up her grenades

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Switching to Winston if you use normal tanks like Rein or Zarya is a good idea if you're being harassed. I used to be scared about using Winston but I got over it and I'm killing Genjis and other stray flankers left and right. Be sort of close to your team and pursue targets that have low health and finish them off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Idia posted:

Switching to Winston if you use normal tanks like Rein or Zarya is a good idea if you're being harassed. I used to be scared about using Winston but I got over it and I'm killing Genjis and other stray flankers left and right. Be sort of close to your team and pursue targets that have low health and finish them off.

Yeah, he's really good for chasing them away but I have trouble actually finishing them off. The only times I can reliably murder a Genji/Tracer with Winston is when they gently caress up and overcommit and if I catch them with their "get the gently caress out" abilities on cooldown; in any other case they just disengage with 1/3 more ult meter and take it as a very personal slight against them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone know of a good guide to what objects block Dva's ult? I'm never sure if I got hosed by the hitbox gods or if what I'm hiding behind is actually not ever going to block the explosion. For example: the hero height pillar things on Hanamura point B that sit right on the point that look to be light boxes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide to what objects block Dva's ult? I'm never sure if I got hosed by the hitbox gods or if what I'm hiding behind is actually not ever going to block the explosion. For example: the hero height pillar things on Hanamura point B that sit right on the point that look to be light boxes.

Payloads, Reinhardt and Winston's shields, Mei's ice wall, Zarya's shield, and non-destructible walls will block it. In particular, destructible foliage, sign posts, etc. won't block it. The pillar things in Hanamura B will absolutely block a D. Va ult, I've hidden behind them a bunch of times. (Trickier if she shoots it up, though.)

A super-shallow obstacle that doesn't give you complete cover will still get you killed, but I'm not sure exactly where the height limit for that is or whether it varies from hero to hero.

e: Reading conflicting information about the red/yellow indicator and whether it means "line of sight" or "in range;" might have to go test that when I get home. I think it's the former, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 23, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Can D.Vas shield block Junkrats ultimate? Probably not?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Reading conflicting information about the red/yellow indicator and whether it means "line of sight" or "in range;" might have to go test that when I get home. I think it's the former, though.

the indicator only turns yellow if you're out of the range of the explosion, it will stay red if you're close even if you're out of line of sight.

Zephyrine posted:

nope, the tire counts as a player character technically, not a projectile. it does mean you can stick tracer's bomb onto it.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 23, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've taken damage from d.va bombs when the indicator was yellow. I think you're just outside of the instant death zone when it's not red

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you duck behind the payload it'll protect you, if you stand behind the payload, you're dead (happened to me yesterday playing Zen on Numbani A).

/edit

Zephyrine posted:

Nope. Also, 76's ult doesn't lock on to Junk's tyre, which I discovered by dying horribly.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kerrrrrrr posted:

nope, the tire counts as a player character technically, not a projectile. it does mean you can stick tracer's bomb onto it.

Nerf Junkrat then. Make the tire a projectile.

Edit: What if you place the mech on the payload before activating the self destruct? Will people be able to duck behind the payload to avoid the explosion?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Payloads, Reinhardt and Winston's shields, Mei's ice wall, Zarya's shield, and non-destructible walls will block it. In particular, destructible foliage, sign posts, etc. won't block it. The pillar things in Hanamura B will absolutely block a D. Va ult, I've hidden behind them a bunch of times. (Trickier if she shoots it up, though.)

A super-shallow obstacle that doesn't give you complete cover will still get you killed, but I'm not sure exactly where the height limit for that is or whether it varies from hero to hero.

Ok so anything that isn't destructible it becomes a LOS (and somewhat perhaps hitbox) issue. I've now died behind those posts, the London taxi cab at King's Row A, and probably some other poo poo I forgot about so it's started to bug me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

junkrat should roll the tire at people like a bowling ball

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ok so anything that isn't destructible it becomes a LOS (and somewhat perhaps hitbox) issue. I've now died behind those posts, the London taxi cab at King's Row A, and probably some other poo poo I forgot about so it's started to bug me.

LoS on D.Va's ult is weird as poo poo. I've seen videos of people "hiding" behind a STOP sign post near the Hollywood attack spawn, and I've died behind a corner because... my arm was exposed? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, he's really good for chasing them away but I have trouble actually finishing them off. The only times I can reliably murder a Genji/Tracer with Winston is when they gently caress up and overcommit and if I catch them with their "get the gently caress out" abilities on cooldown; in any other case they just disengage with 1/3 more ult meter and take it as a very personal slight against them.

I think the fundamental misapprehension people have wrt Winston is that he should be diving into the backline and solo 1v3ing. This is how I played him when I was new to the game and all I basically did was die a lot. Even if you can get a 1v1 going you shouldn't REALLY be pursuing too far afield of your team to begin with.

Where Winston excells is opportunistically killing off enemies that might under other circumstances be zipping in and out of fights damaged but alive. Like Genji, the typical Genji engagement involves Genji jumping around, taking some hits, deflecting and jumping around some more, then swift striking out, rinse repeat. But when a Winston is in the mix suddenly that Genji no longer has as much freedom to do this because Winston severely punishes him by using a weapon that auto aims and goes through deflect to finish what the chip damage started. They can still blow swift strike if it's on CD but they can't loiter, can't continue to try scoring more hits, and IF the Genji is extremely low THEN you can decide to jump him to finish the job before heading back to join your group.

tl;dr Winston isn't an assassin, he's a zoning tank.