Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, it seems kinda hinky. I'd think you'd see your hands moving "too fast" vertically because moving them a foot IRL translates into moving them two feet ingame. I feel like my hand movements being off would be a lot more noticeable than mouse scaling, for sure. Or does that sort of thing get smoothed out?
It's the same thing you'd feel if you played a game where your character is a toddler or mech, except to a more limited extent. You're probably right that'd it feel a bit weird at first: you'd feel a bit bigger or smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Danith posted:

Booting up fallout 4 VR, wow they really dropped the ball here. I didn't have any performance issues but it just feels like a very low grade port. The bump maps on things are all messed up and just look very weird and with smooth movement you get hung up on every little thing.

Mods improve this somewhat. Besides the popular visual mods for the 2D version there's some VR-specific ones for optimizations and graphics/hud improvements.

It's worth the time to gently caress around with mods & settings for both this and Skyrim I feel like.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Danith posted:

Dead Effect 2 VR is probably my favorite. I can't believe how polished this is. It feels like it was made for VR. I'm only about 5 missions in and even though the voice acting is really bad, the game play is really fun and the graphics are pretty decent. This feels a ton better then fallout 4 VR

I misread this as Dead Space 2 and got really excited for a minute there. :cry:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Cabell posted:

I misread this as Dead Space 2 and got really excited for a minute there. :cry:

For what it's worth, I think Dead Space would translate really well to VR, given how the menus and general world-interactions are designed as actual user interfaces. Nevermind the melee just being Isaac swinging his fist about frantically.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I got Fallout 4 VR for free with my Vive and still felt ripped off

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Fallout 4 VR was a missed opportunity. Farhome is doing a good job of environmentally scaring the poo poo outa me in space.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth, I think Dead Space would translate really well to VR, given how the menus and general world-interactions are designed as actual user interfaces. Nevermind the melee just being Isaac swinging his fist about frantically.

Isn't there a part where your eyeball gets poked? That would probably be terrifying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Danith posted:

Isn't there a part where your eyeball gets poked? That would probably be terrifying

I don’t think that does anything to dissuade from the fact that it would be perfect in VR. That sounds terrifying, but cool as an experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danith posted:

That's in Dead Space 2. You really do not want to gently caress up that particular minigame. And you'll be very compelled not to do so twice if you do.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Deadspace with the echo vr movement system for the zero g sections :fap:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Danith posted:

Dead Space died to save us from Dead Space VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Danith posted:

Dead Effect 2 VR is probably my favorite. I can't believe how polished this is. It feels like it was made for VR. I'm only about 5 missions in and even though the voice acting is really bad,

I'm Kay! I kill people! With my sword!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mehall posted:

I was just thinking that, tbh.

There's still a goon vr discord isn't there?
I think I might have left it since I cleaned up discords I wasn't using recently, but we could organise on there.

There is, its basically a less active version of this thread though.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Fallout 4 VR is a proof of concept for Skyrim VR that got accidentally released.

The worst is when you realize that dialogue audio isn't locational.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Is THIS the knuckles device you guys keep talking about?

http://plexus.im/

Because holy poo poo that's awesome but holy poo poo I'm not paying $249 right now after just dropping $349 for my OcRift but for SURE in a few years I'm going to grab a pair of these.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SabinBlitz posted:

Because holy poo poo that's awesome but holy poo poo I'm not paying $249 right now after just dropping $349 for my OcRift but for SURE in a few years I'm going to grab a pair of these.

I believe the Knuckles will rely on Vive sensors and thus won't be Rift compatible.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The creature design in that is so great. It would be terrifying

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

SabinBlitz posted:

These are the Knuckles we've posted about

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey is this the goon-made game (by a goon who’s posts I can’t find)?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/998660/Sopwith_VR/

Yup, that's my janky prototype game! It released on Steam yesterday and it's already getting way more feedback there (and 1000X the traffic) than it did in two weeks on Itch. Valve even sent me two free pairs of Knuckles controllers last week.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Tj9Jk6T3Q&t=237s This is knuckles, first result on youtube and timestamped after a load of waffling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

loaf posted:

Yup, that's my janky prototype game! It released on Steam yesterday and it's already getting way more feedback there (and 1000X the traffic) than it did in two weeks on Itch. Valve even sent me two free pairs of Knuckles controllers last week.

Whoa that’s awesome!!!

Is there anything keeping it from working on a Rift? It says Vive only on the steam page

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoa that’s awesome!!!

Is there anything keeping it from working on a Rift? It says Vive only on the steam page

It uses the vive lighthouse tech for tracking.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Danith posted:

Theres a fantastic section in the horror game "Wilson's Heart" for VR where one of your arms gets turns to wood so you now have a limp wooden hand that can't move any fingers, pick anything up etc, and then later on you have to put your arm on a table saw, and push it through sawing your own arm off. After which you have a phantom limb syndrom of this stump you're just waiving around. It really still sticks out to me as one of the moments to really show you what VR can do that you can't experience in any other medium. You could do that stuff in any old flatscreen game, but no matter how well done it could never have the psychological trippy punch as in VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I meant the game itself, not the knuckles.

I see in the reviews, people are already running the game on Rifts though, so it must work.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Shine posted:

I believe the Knuckles will rely on Vive sensors and thus won't be Rift compatible.

Then it sounds like Plexus will have to be my go to as a Rift user.

I like Plexus model, it's an actual glove!

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I only have a Vive to test, but it sounds like it works on Rift (apparently the B button fires the gun) and even WMR so I should update the store page.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Only a few days with the Rift, and the right headphone is cutting out depending on the position, and the left headphone has cut out entirely. Actually using this thing when it works has been great, and everything around that has been poo poo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cicero posted:

Only a few days with the Rift, and the right headphone is cutting out depending on the position, and the left headphone has cut out entirely. Actually using this thing when it works has been great, and everything around that has been poo poo.

There's some plastic screws on the inside of the headband which connect the headphones. Use the little plastic tool that came with the rift, in the same plastic envelope with the lens cleaning cloth, to tighten those screws.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres a fantastic section in the horror game "Wilson's Heart" for VR where one of your arms gets turns to wood so you now have a limp wooden hand that can't move any fingers, pick anything up etc, and then later on you have to put your arm on a table saw, and push it through sawing your own arm off. After which you have a phantom limb syndrom of this stump you're just waiving around. It really still sticks out to me as one of the moments to really show you what VR can do that you can't experience in any other medium. You could do that stuff in any old flatscreen game, but no matter how well done it could never have the psychological trippy punch as in VR.
Yeah, then you get Hulk Hands and a drill hand . That section was like a demo for 2 other games but it was drat fun.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ahh.. the weird shimmery texture thing that I have in FO4VR, looks like it's an issue with WMR headsets. This might fix it, I haven't tested but I'm hoping

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/8kim45/fallout_4_vr_workaround_for_shadow_and_decal_wmr/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

There's some plastic screws on the inside of the headband which connect the headphones. Use the little plastic tool that came with the rift, in the same plastic envelope with the lens cleaning cloth, to tighten those screws.

Then start an RMA if that dont work.

Sadly, Semi common problem and depending how hard you've yanked on it throwing it on the wires inside are kinda flaky.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have essential tremors, a condition which can make activities like aiming in FPS games or using a laser pointer in real life difficult due to shaking.

With the PSVR and Move controllers, is the aiming like trying to maintain a steady hold on a laser pointer (or a Wii remote cursor)?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, I know this thread loved Lone Echo - I found a great followup to that while we wait for the sequel - Red Matter - it's a Cold War aesthetic moon base exploration puzzle sim, I've had a ton of fun with it so far getting wrapped up in the world, and it has all sorts of cool features. The movement has you doing little low gravity hops across the space, which is actually pretty fun! It's only 20 bucks right now and I think it's really something cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/966680/Red_Matter/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

me your dad posted:

I have essential tremors, a condition which can make activities like aiming in FPS games or using a laser pointer in real life difficult due to shaking.

With the PSVR and Move controllers, is the aiming like trying to maintain a steady hold on a laser pointer (or a Wii remote cursor)?

Yes, but with a vr rifle stock you use more of your body (shoulder + cheek) like using a real rifle, that might help.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

me your dad posted:

You could aim, or you could just shoot wildly or slash/stab/bash if you're doing melee combat. I think it's way more fun to just shoot at enemies rather than lining up the sights and being accurate, even if the first few shots miss you'll get to know the general direction to point to start hitting.

Reloading a gun in H3VR or other games with reload mechanics more in depth than pressing a button and vague movements would probably be impossible.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Pimax 5k+ FOV increase is great and a huge step up, everything else about it is worse or not worth it (resolution increase in particular, stuff runs much worse and it's not *that* much better). There's something wrong with the optics, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it hurts my eyes and makes motion sickness worse than usual.

I wouldn't get it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I want knuckles controllers so bad. Also guys have I gushed enough about popstars expert map on beatsaber. I am blown away at how unbelievably fun it is. Its gotten me hooked in the game again.

Pokerstarsvr is fun in the goofiest way. Some people take it very seriously which is hilarious to me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

Pimax 5k+ FOV increase is great and a huge step up, everything else about it is worse or not worth it (resolution increase in particular, stuff runs much worse and it's not *that* much better). There's something wrong with the optics, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it hurts my eyes and makes motion sickness worse than usual.

I wouldn't get it.

As a followup to this and I've been trying out my Pimax and swapping it with a Rift and comparing them back and forth. About an hour ago I took 3 ibuprofen due to a headache/eye strain and my eyeballs still hurt. Jesus.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Probably the angled screens. Didn't use or keep mine for long enough to get headaches, sold it based on my initial gut/eyeball reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Tightening it initially didn't work, but then loosening and tightening it did. Thanks!