Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I dont know the exact details but there is certainly ps4 exclusive stuff, I think it might be strikes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS4 has an exclusive strike and PvP map plus some cosmetic stuff.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The last few tags have been queued now. Sorry for the delay my friends!
If you did not make it in glorious page 679 then when we reach page 979 I may try again! Much love to all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

freeranger posted:

They make you do this more than once? God it was bad enough in lvl 1...

It might be random. I got that vs match in rank 1 and that's the only time so far. Im in rank 5 now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

The last few tags have been queued now. Sorry for the delay my friends!
If you did not make it in glorious page 679 then when we reach page 979 I may try again! Much love to all.

May Kos (or may I say Kosm?) be with you... :bloodborne:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I finished Resi7 and it was very good. I thought the boat ( ;) ) section wasn't very good but the ending was cool.

The DLC apart from the bedroom one isn't worth it IMO.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does the PS4 get exclusives or timed exclusives for Destiny 2? If I play it, it's going to be on PC because it's an FPS and all my friends who would be interested in it come from PC MMOs

Timed exclusive that means a strike, crucible map and an exotic.

Also ps4 gets the game 6 weeks ahead of pc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I finished Resi7 and it was very good. I thought the boat ( ;) ) section wasn't very good but the ending was cool.

The DLC apart from the bedroom one isn't worth it IMO.

Jack's Birthday is wonderfully silly, however.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Lumpy posted:

I wonder if it's random. The "you must use auto aim" rule happened for me on the 2nd VS match of level 2.

Also for the person wondering why perfect shots sometimes go left or right, I'm sure you are aware, but in case you are not: the slope of the ground you hit the ball off of will affect the starting angle.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that I simply didn't notice that loving STUPID rule was enforced for that challenge, and just occasionally went "Well I'm sure I pressed that earlier/later than it appears" or something dumb. All I know is that after my lovely experience with it in the last challenge of Rank 1, I hoped that was just so you could see if you wanted whether or not you put the ball into a river to be loving RNG instead of timing, and then you could forever ignore it again.

This +9 over 3 holes bullshit was something else, though. I'm about to try it again. I just want to see what fishing is like.

:siren: edit: Well, gently caress me, it is random. I started the challenge again and there is no auto-impact this time. At least I now know to just throw any challenge with auto-impact and do it again.

Also, and this isn't really a spoiler but it's a "hidden" thing, and I'm sure there are others, so I'll tag it anyway, but if you manage to get a birdie on an official hole 50 times

then what happens is a hidden challenger appears, who once you beat him

will unlock the ability to swim, which isn't very exciting

but at least when you do a sick jump in your jeep/buggy off those rocks at the beach in your home base into the water, it doesn't take 30 seconds to get back to the shore again.

Also, does everyone know there are different d-pad emotes for when you're in the water? Just making sure.

vvv: yeah that one is odd, I just like the floating-on-your-back one

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 4, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

It was very nice of them to include a help-im-drowning-emote in the golf game yes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

for the record i enjoyed mediocre games dragon age inquisition and assassins creed whatever

Same, but there was definitely a point in both games about 75% of the way through where I hit a wall of boredom and I just want to power through and finish the story.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lobok posted:

Same, but there was definitely a point in both games about 75% of the way through where I hit a wall of boredom and I just want to power through and finish the story.

Also same. I'm currently enjoying noted mediocre game farcry 4 atm but I'm only halfway through it so haven't hit that wall yet

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I always see people pushing through with games like syndicate or dragon age and think to myself people are actually insane but I guess that's because if a game doesn't draw me in rather than force myself through things I'd rather go play a few rounds of rocket league or starcraft or other seemingly infinite games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nidhogg 2 is amazing.

I never played the first one, but this game is great. So fast-paced. So funny.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snak posted:

Nidhogg 2 is amazing.

I never played the first one, but this game is great. So fast-paced. So funny.

First game was cool, but I can't stand looking at the art/animation in N2 for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's eccentric enough to annoy and distract me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Macarius Wrench posted:

I always see people pushing through with games like syndicate or dragon age and think to myself people are actually insane but I guess that's because if a game doesn't draw me in rather than force myself through things I'd rather go play a few rounds of rocket league or starcraft or other seemingly infinite games.

Tbf i usually have another game on the go. I got about 70% through shadow of mordor before getting a bit bored so I started playing farcry. I'll will most likely go back and finish mordor before finishing farcry

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's funny to think about that 75% mark where I get bored and how much of it might be self-inflicted. That point where I think "man, this game just keeps going" is usually because of the time I spend avoiding the main storyline. In DA:I especially, I think about all the time I spent directly and indirectly on crafting and upgrading gear and maybe I burned myself out chasing imperceptibly incremental improvements.

Macarius Wrench posted:

I usually follow the "life's too short" rule when it comes to crappy movies or books or TV but I have this deep-rooted guilt from when my parents were my only supply of games to see a game through before fully moving on. Not letting a shiny new game leave a trail of unfinished ones. But that doesn't apply if a game is truly bad from the beginning.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
The issue with Far Cry 4 at least is that it suffers from that sort of activity bloat where they think "Hey this is fun", and then forget that maybe it's not fun to do two hundred times. I feel a sort of sympathy for people who need to 100% games like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

markgreyam posted:

The issue with Far Cry 4 at least is that it suffers from that sort of activity bloat where they think "Hey this is fun", and then forget that maybe it's not fun to do two hundred times. I feel a sort of sympathy for people who need to 100% games like that.

The weird thing is that most AAA developers know this about their own games and are probably aware that the same copy+paste activities are not all that enjoyable but every big budget release is locked in a feature bloat arms race and must last 50, 60, 100 hours to justify the $60 price point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

The weird thing is that most AAA developers know this about their own games and are probably aware that the same copy+paste activities are not all that enjoyable but every big budget release is locked in a feature bloat arms race and must last 50, 60, 100 hours to justify the $60 price point.

It's more that in an open-world game on a tight deadline it's a lot less of a headache to make cookie-cutter side content activities that simply cannot bug out unless there's something wrong with the class code.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ironically I put over 300 hours into Mass Effect 2, a game that takes maybe 35-40 hours to beat at most, because when I got to the end I always found myself wanting more, thinking about how different combinations of choices would play out. Has anybody gotten to the end of an Assassin's Creed game thinking, "oh man, if there could have been just ONE more assassination contract..."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People can say what they will about Bethesda games, and they are probably right for the most part. But the lack of copy paste bullshit content that most open world games have is why people love them so much and they are a lot of fun, despite being janky, mediocre looking, and often poorly written

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I don't even want to know how long I spent on Witcher 3. I finished all of the contracts in the base game and finished both expansions, but I still fee like I could load it up and find new stuff.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

exquisite tea posted:

Actually yeah that's a really good point, I was being rather naive there. And ironically I probably would have suggested that there wasn't enough to do in FC4 if they hadn't included about 75% more repetitive side-quests and collectible things than I was prepared to do. Well, side quests anyway, the collectible stuff was about the most tedious I've seen in a game.

I guess that's another thing that comes down to a combination of design and personal taste, he's says, remembering that he collected every single thing that you could in Just Cause 2 (I got to the 99.7% or whatever you could because of those few things that were bugged and couldn't be completed).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

People can say what they will about Bethesda games, and they are probably right for the most part. But the lack of copy paste bullshit content that most open world games have is why people love them so much and they are a lot of fun, despite being janky, mediocre looking, and often poorly written

The various ruins and caves might as well be copy pasted considering how uninspired 90% of them are.

(They are still better than the generic Assassin's creed style copy paste stuff so I agree with your point)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I've enjoyed the gently caress out of FO:NV, Oblivion and Skyrim because of that. Sure, they have a sheer volume of jankyness but you can launch them and walk in a direction and find new stuff every time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the truth posted:

I don't even want to know how long I spent on Witcher 3. I finished all of the contracts in the base game and finished both expansions, but I still fee like I could load it up and find new stuff.

Reminder to all that Witcher 3 made a lengthy, humorous, and insightful side quest that consisted mostly of going to the bank.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's also always one callectathon thing that I enjoy, so even though I don't do all the collectathon things, I'm sad if there aren't very many of the one I like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Ironically I put over 300 hours into Mass Effect 2, a game that takes maybe 35-40 hours to beat at most, because when I got to the end I always found myself wanting more, thinking about how different combinations of choices would play out. Has anybody gotten to the end of an Assassin's Creed game thinking, "oh man, if there could have been just ONE more assassination contract..."

There always some side content I do wish there was more of in AssCreed. Things like ship combat, Templar lairs, Templar hunts, taking over forts, Charles Dickens missions, etc. Kinda like being disappointed when the appetizers are way better than the entreés because it's never the story missions in those games I have the fondest memories of.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I mean yes, but in the sense that I go "Man I wish there were tons more assassination contracts, the good part of the game, and way less of the other bullshit"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

The various ruins and caves might as well be copy pasted considering how uninspired 90% of them are.

(They are still better than the generic Assassin's creed style copy paste stuff so I agree with your point)

I think a big part of that is how waypoints get added to your map. You see a cave and think "I wonder what's in there" and then you go in and sometimes it's some enemies and loot, but every now and then it's something amazing. In AC, you climb a tower and suddenly a dozen new waypoints show up and you have a pretty good idea of what each of them will turn out to be from the icons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Playing AssCreed with as little of the hud as possible is really fun, but as the games went on, they designed it more and more so that you couldn't really play without the hud, because you'd have to keep hitting these arbitrary waypoints and stuff.

Edit: Like, you can play AssCreed 1 with the hud completely off just fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the truth posted:

I like Witcher 3 for a lot of the same reasons that I like Bethesda games (mostly entertaining side quests that amount to more than "go here and kill 5 guys) but I like the actual gameplay for entirely different reasons. Bethesda games are all about exploring the minutia of the world, where that aspect isn't great in the Witcher imo, but TW3 has this scope and sense of a giant world that Bethesda has never quite matched.

I guess what I am saying is that Fallout is all about going into an empty building and rifling through the drawers and blasting a bunch of poo poo in the face, where TW3 is all about riding through the forest and checking out a scenic vista.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

First game was cool, but I can't stand looking at the art/animation in N2 for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's eccentric enough to annoy and distract me.

I never minded that everyone looked like Homer Simpson but I did mind that I couldn't easily tell what the enemy was doing, especially with stuff like broadswords versus rapiers versus knives and so on. Nidhogg 2 is its own thing which is cool, but I'm not all that interested in it as a result.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There're only 4 weapons in Nidhogg 2, and they are pretty visually distinct... I could see some initially mix-ups between the broadsword and the rapier, but the stances are completely different. Once you know that there are two swords, that look different and have completely different stances, there's no confusion.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm feeling kind of :flaccid: about Destiny 2, but once I finish Mario Xcom I'll need something to get me through until Mario Odyssey.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
do I have a butt tag

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I was never interested in the first Nidhogg because of how low-effort and boring the artstyle was, but i might pick up Nidhogg 2 when it gets a decent discount just because i really like its artstyle

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got Hellblade. drat this is a gorgeous game. It's insane how good games look nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*spends 40 hours playing an upscaled PS3 remake of a PS2 game* haha, yeah...