Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

edit: Anyone have rhythm exercise suggestions? Quarter notes; and eighth notes I'm generally okay. Adding rests (especially on the quarter notes) or swing notes just goes right and fucks me up. Exercises, metronome work, etc - I've got a drum machine, so I'm totally open to suggestions.

Look up some drum rudiment exercises. Work on them with just one note, then when you get comfortable, start working your way through the scales while working with the rudiment pattern.

That's what I do at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Crossposting from the Effects thread:

Hey guys, my roommate is a bass player and a huge Geddy Lee fan and is thinking of getting some effects pedals. He wants his first one to be either flanger or a fuzz pedal, any recommendations on brands/models?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Hey guys, my roommate is a bass player and a huge Geddy Lee fan and is thinking of getting some effects pedals. He wants his first one to be either flanger or a fuzz pedal, any recommendations on brands/models?

EHX Big Bass Muff is an affordable fuzz and one of my favourites. I've got no idea what Geddy Lee sounds like though, so if he's looking for a tone similar to his then it might not be what he's looking for. Either way, solid pedal and one of the best fuzzes for bass I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwg4xAaZso

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Walked posted:

edit: Anyone have rhythm exercise suggestions? Quarter notes; and eighth notes I'm generally okay. Adding rests (especially on the quarter notes) or swing notes just goes right and fucks me up. Exercises, metronome work, etc - I've got a drum machine, so I'm totally open to suggestions.

http://www.vaughn-s.net/bass/rhythm1.pdf

http://www.vaughn-s.net/bass/rhythm2.pdf

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm assuming you mentioned Geddy Lee because he kinda wants to sound like him? If so, I would skip on the flanger and fuzz and instead go for some kind of Tech 21 preamp unit. Up until recently Geddy Lee used a variety of their SansAmps, I think the last was the RPM. That's probably out of the price range you're looking at and it is rack mount. But, their Bass Driver DI is similar and has been around forever and can be had for about $100 used. An alternate would be the VT Bass. None of these will get you all out fuzz, but they all will be able to give you a nice, thick overdriven tone.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Walked posted:

Alright. Looking for suggestions (though I'll be starting with instructor next week too..)

I've been playing around; finding songs that move around the fretboard a lot and move between strings. Getting pretty comfortable and able to play along with a good many songs.

Where I'm getting mucked up is those songs with the Root/Octave or Root/Fifth pattern. I'm well aware of the importance of these guys - so I'm looking for suggestions on songs with a steady beat / not super loving fast that I can work on to practice the string skipping.

The fifth isnt too bad really, I can play Nirvana-Come as You Are which uses that pattern a whole lot (to be fair; only really at one spot); but god drat that extra string in between totally throw my rhythm (and technique) through a loop.

Too many words.

Wire- Mannequin

Morphine- Cure For Pain

Most Morphine songs have basslines made up of fifths because of the two-string slide bass, but you can play them on a normal bass too!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Epi Lepi posted:

For Geddy's sound, refer him to this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393208

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008
What kind of price range (at GC) would I expect to look for in a decent Peavey?

I played with a CV 60's Squier and rather enjoyed it. Still haven't gotten a chance to play with a Jaguar. I'd still like to try out more used gear around that price range.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Pehther posted:

What kind of price range (at GC) would I expect to look for in a decent Peavey?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey,Electric-Bass-Bass,New-Gear.gc

If you know what you should look at the used section on GC's site. I've bought several pedals and a few guitars from various stores. They always set me up with new strings and a quick setup. Prob not the same for bass strings though. Really depends what you want, what you are comfortable with, and what kind of sound you want. I've never been fond of Peavys, but that's just me. There are some great basses out there, but they are usually the Cirrus models, which get high praise on talkbass.

Looking at the Cirrus under used section, I found _one_ for 329.99. If you call em up and ask them for more details, never know what kind of condition it is in, or if you can get them to throw free shipping into the mix. It's the quilted model - depends if you are into that. But if you are, and it looks like a great bass to you, jump on it. That's cheap for a high quality Peavy. Shipping from GC's is usually very very cheap. 10 bucks for a big wah pedal, 16-20 bucks for a guitar, and prob 20-30 for a bass.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Schatten posted:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey,Electric-Bass-Bass,New-Gear.gc

If you know what you should look at the used section on GC's site. I've bought several pedals and a few guitars from various stores. They always set me up with new strings and a quick setup. Prob not the same for bass strings though. Really depends what you want, what you are comfortable with, and what kind of sound you want. I've never been fond of Peavys, but that's just me. There are some great basses out there, but they are usually the Cirrus models, which get high praise on talkbass.

Looking at the Cirrus under used section, I found _one_ for 329.99. If you call em up and ask them for more details, never know what kind of condition it is in, or if you can get them to throw free shipping into the mix. It's the quilted model - depends if you are into that. But if you are, and it looks like a great bass to you, jump on it. That's cheap for a high quality Peavy. Shipping from GC's is usually very very cheap. 10 bucks for a big wah pedal, 16-20 bucks for a guitar, and prob 20-30 for a bass.

I just know used quality Peaveys are talked about in this thread quite a bit, but it's the one I never see in the store to play. That said, I'm really just looking for something to learn on. I have no idea what kind of sound or feel I want yet.

Edit: and shipping shouldn't be an issue. I'm fine with ship to store since I work less than five minutes from a GC.

Also, what's quilted mean?

vvv Ahh, good examples..thanks!

Pehther fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 6, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pehther posted:

Also, what's quilted mean?

"Quilted" refers to a figure; a way the wood is cut, revealing a distortion in the wood-grain that looks kind of like a shiny quilt, or bedsheets. Typically it's maple.

Example:

There's also Flame maple, which has tighter waves:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 6, 2010

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
mmmm... quilted. Post em if you got em!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Nice strap! I still have mine from ~1986! They all look the same.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Babu-binga bada-boom

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think owning a bass like that would condemn you to a life of fusion gigs.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Or modern gospel.

Edit: And I'd be fine with either, honestly.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I dunno, fusion was more fun in the seventies when it was more aggressive - Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, 11th House, etc.. Nowadays, the only fusion act I find interesting is John McLaughlin's Fourth Dimension.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

I dunno, fusion was more fun in the seventies when it was more aggressive - Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, 11th House, etc.. Nowadays, the only fusion act I find interesting is John McLaughlin's Fourth Dimension.

Meh, it's far too difficult to label anything these days. I'd consider a lot of Karl Denson's stuff to be fusion, along with Soulive, Lettuce, etc.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Holy poo poo bass fitness is good.
I mean; its dry as gently caress; but if you take like 20min at a time and work up and down the fretboard with a metronome. I'm loving it.

Just another endorsement here. It's available for kindle, by the way.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

I play metal with it, mostly.

It's a lot less gaudy on stage, and it nails that Steve DiGiorgio Death poo poo.

edit: Actually, it nails just about everything. If you don't want it to sound like a fretless, it doesn't.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 7, 2010

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I play metal with it, mostly.

it nails that Steve DiGiorgio Death poo poo.

Gotta know, how much did it cost? Been listening to a ton of Death lately, love his tone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
http://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast/fretboard-journal-podcast-33-mike-gordon-phish

Really good and really long interview (close to an hour) with Mike Gordon of Phish. Worth a listen, not the typical interview questions imo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Demon Seed posted:

Gotta know, how much did it cost? Been listening to a ton of Death lately, love his tone.

$1900ish. Chris' prices are very nice. You have to wait a year or so to get it, but a Fodera takes twice as long, costs four times as much, and isn't any better of an instrument.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

$1900ish. Chris' prices are very nice. You have to wait a year or so to get it, but a Fodera takes twice as long, costs four times as much, and isn't any better of an instrument.

ahem...

:argh:STAMBAAAAAAAUGH!:argh:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Why can't any Fender stock P-bass come in seafoam or surf green? I'd kill for a tele P-bass in that color. :argh: I bet it costs way over 150 euros to get a paintjob at a decent luthier.

Also played a great Highway One Fender P at a local store, loved it in all other possible ways but the look of it was unbearable: tobacco burst with a sort of matte finish. Ugh. It would've looked probably great with a shiny finish but the matte made it look like cheap, painted plastic instead of wood.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

These Loving Eyes posted:

Also played a great Highway One Fender P at a local store, loved it in all other possible ways but the look of it was unbearable: tobacco burst with a sort of matte finish. Ugh. It would've looked probably great with a shiny finish but the matte made it look like cheap, painted plastic instead of wood.

It doesn't take long for the finish to looked polished (at least if it's the nitro finish) due to friction with your skin/clothing. The matte finish that IS left behind makes it look as it started out shiny and it has dulled over a few years. You could always use some elbow grease to polish the entire body too... plenty of folks do it and it looks pretty good.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Speaking of finishes to lust over, a dark cherry StingRay is on my wishlist fer sure:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

Speaking of finishes to lust over, a dark cherry StingRay is on my wishlist fer sure:

Hellll yeah. Here's my imitation StingRay. Terrible lighting, but you can see how shiny it is.

Click here to view the full image

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
How are the imitation stingrays compared to the original? Are they good instruments, or is it like you get what you pay for?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

manic mike posted:

How are the imitation stingrays compared to the original? Are they good instruments, or is it like you get what you pay for?

I've heard good things about the ones made by OLP - they're officially licensed. Apparently the necks twisting can be a problem, but otherwise they're supposed to sound great for a lot less. My knockoff is an Austin, which as far as I can tell is one of a kind. It's definitely not a StingRay, but for under $200, I love how it sounds.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Thank you very much for these. I recently started recording my playing and realised that my playing is sloppy as hell so these should come in very handy :) .

java
May 7, 2005

I finally had my bass professionally setup after owning it for two years (having gotten it used). What a difference, completely night and day. It's like the light bulb went on as to what playing a bass is actually supposed to feel like.

java fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Speaking of setups, I've been thinking about having my white Stambaugh Plek'd at Lakland when I'm in Chicago over New Years. It's about four years old now and I think there are a couple of fret spots that need touching up.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
VT Bass verdict after trying it out at practice: pretty much as great as everyone says. The whole 'dimed SVT' sound is fun to play around with, but even using it more subtly (which is where it will be 95% of the time) it adds a lot. It warms up my GK perfectly. I was using my compressor after the VT in hopes of adding even more vintage flavor, but I ended up turning it off anyway. The tube emulation is really nice at evening things out on its own. I don't think I'll be turning the VT off from now on, except to show people the difference.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Speaking of setups, I've been thinking about having my white Stambaugh Plek'd at Lakland when I'm in Chicago over New Years. It's about four years old now and I think there are a couple of fret spots that need touching up.

Do it. My hollowbody came Plek'd straight from them. It seriously makes it feel like you've been playing it for years. Just so... familiar. Hard to describe.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

VT Bass verdict after trying it out at practice: pretty much as great as everyone says. The whole 'dimed SVT' sound is fun to play around with, but even using it more subtly (which is where it will be 95% of the time) it adds a lot. It warms up my GK perfectly. I was using my compressor after the VT in hopes of adding even more vintage flavor, but I ended up turning it off anyway. The tube emulation is really nice at evening things out on its own. I don't think I'll be turning the VT off from now on, except to show people the difference.

Yup... I leave it on all the time. I've even gone so far as to bypass the preamp on my B2R and use the VT straight into the poweramp, serving as the pre itself.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
How are the Behringer knockoffs of Tech21's stuff?

In anticipation of new parts getting here, I took apart my Squier and defretted it. The first few frets were kinda rough and small chips are gone, but otherwise it looks as good as someone doing a defret job with a putty knife can expect. Since I had a bottle of tung oil sitting around I'm using that as protection instead of epoxy. I'll be putting the old flats back on so I don't expect much fretboard wear anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hi guys, I'd really like some advice on where to proceed next with my learning, if that's OK - thanks to your advice so far I've been having great fun, but I feel a little directionless.

I have finished Hal Leonard Book 1, so I can read sheet music and play along to it (albeit stitedly). I know and can fret any note on the top 5 frets or so. I've been jamming with a guitar player on the 12-bar blues and I've got that down pat (Although my rhythm tends to be pretty simple and just involves root-5th-octave).

Everything I've done so far I've enjoyed and I feel I understand - but it feels like there are major parts missing - particularly involving the notes played along with a chord.

Where do scales fit into my learning? When trying to compose a song, should I work out the chord progression and fit my bassline to it? or vice-versa?

I'm sorry if this seems a little scattered, I'm excited but I don't know where to go next!