Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
This is Pùca (Pooka), and he is a stank-rear end cat.

Click here for the full 720x431 image.

I got him about two weeks ago, he is my first kitten and I adore him with all my heart. Problem?

He has got the worst gas ever. Not only does he fart all the time, but they are just...it smells like his insides are made up of slowly decaying corpses of people who were only fed rancid Indian food.

A good friend of mine who is not only a big cat person, but also one of those assholes who knows everything about all topics, thinks that his ferocious flatulence is due to him being fed wet food (I give him all the dry he wants, and a half can (bitty kitten can) of wet in the morning and in the evening). I decided to try cutting out the wet and seeing if it helped, and it has only been one day but he is just a kitten and my first cat and I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH and I am worried that he has some kind of horrible stomach disease.

His pooping is normal, no diarrhea or anything and he (as far as I know) hasn't gotten into anything dangerous around the apartment. He seems fine, he runs around constantly and is super playful and affectionate, uses the litter box no problem. He has all his shots except rabies (the foster mom said that he was too little when he went in for his other shots-only 2lbs and the cat needs to be 4 for rabies) and is negative for kitty diseases. He's been de-wormed, too.

Are stinky-rear end farts normal for cats who eat wet food? Should I relax and see how the dry-only diet goes before losing my poo poo over this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Congratulations your kitten is fine!

they really do just stink

PI's theory is the cuter the kitten, the more vile the farts. :)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kissyboots13 posted:

This is Pùca (Pooka), and he is a stank-rear end cat.

Click here for the full 720x431 image.

I got him about two weeks ago, he is my first kitten and I adore him with all my heart. Problem?

He has got the worst gas ever. Not only does he fart all the time, but they are just...it smells like his insides are made up of slowly decaying corpses of people who were only fed rancid Indian food.

A good friend of mine who is not only a big cat person, but also one of those assholes who knows everything about all topics, thinks that his ferocious flatulence is due to him being fed wet food (I give him all the dry he wants, and a half can (bitty kitten can) of wet in the morning and in the evening). I decided to try cutting out the wet and seeing if it helped, and it has only been one day but he is just a kitten and my first cat and I JUST LOVE HIM SO MUCH and I am worried that he has some kind of horrible stomach disease.

His pooping is normal, no diarrhea or anything and he (as far as I know) hasn't gotten into anything dangerous around the apartment. He seems fine, he runs around constantly and is super playful and affectionate, uses the litter box no problem. He has all his shots except rabies (the foster mom said that he was too little when he went in for his other shots-only 2lbs and the cat needs to be 4 for rabies) and is negative for kitty diseases. He's been de-wormed, too.

Are stinky-rear end farts normal for cats who eat wet food? Should I relax and see how the dry-only diet goes before losing my poo poo over this?
Usually the stank is dependent on the food you're giving them. Wet shouldn't affect the smell, and actually, wet is generally preferred(though inconvenient) because it helps cats take in more water, which helps avoid urinary tract problems. You can try gradually moving to another brand to see if that helps, though sometimes better food may produce some dank stank. I used Science Diet - Hairball formula for a long time, then transitioned to Chicken Soup brand, and now I'm on Taste of the Wild, and while it produces healthier stools, when one of my cats takes a poo poo, an invisible dense fog of raunchy shitcloud fills the rooms of my apartment, its weighty stench filling the room like a flood, and forces me to leave the room(IT'S IN MY MOUTH IT'S IN MY MOUTH).

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
One of our kittens has a problem with room-clearing gas explosions too. I feed her half a teaspoon of probiotics or active culture yogurt once a day and that keeps the tooting to a minimum. Luckily she loves it and just licks it off the spoon, but you can also mix it with wet food -- though the sight and smell of the gravy/yogurt mixture is fairly repugnant too.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

They need to be extra cute so people don't leave their stinky behinds on the side of the road. It doesn't help that he likes to sleep curled up against my neck with his butt by my nose.

I feed him Wellness Kitten Formula, both wet and dry. I was going to give him a break from the wet food and see if it makes a difference, but his little mews are slowly melting my icy heart.

Human yogurt? I've heard cats are lactose intolerant, the yogurt won't make him sick?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kissyboots13 posted:

They need to be extra cute so people don't leave their stinky behinds on the side of the road. It doesn't help that he likes to sleep curled up against my neck with his butt by my nose.

I feed him Wellness Kitten Formula, both wet and dry. I was going to give him a break from the wet food and see if it makes a difference, but his little mews are slowly melting my icy heart.

Human yogurt? I've heard cats are lactose intolerant, the yogurt won't make him sick?

It'll get better as he gets older. As for the yogurt, it depends on the cat. Yes, like people, they aren't meant to have dairy after they're weaned, and their digestive tracts can't always handle it. One of my cats barfs every time he gets even a little piece of cheese, and god help him if I give him a spoonful of yogurt. You can try it though and see how it goes. Your guy is young so maybe his gut is relatively comfortable with it still...

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

kissyboots13 posted:

Yeah it depends on the cat, but we've had good luck with "premium" yogurt (Greek Gods brand). poo poo like Yoplait and Dannon ended in disastrous kitty diarrhea, but your results may vary.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Max *loves* pudding. And ice cream. (Not chocolate obviously.) Might depend on the cat? This same cat will turn up her nose at like lunchmeat or anything human but tuna. I only let her lick a bit off my finger though so she gets a taste but no tummy issues.

So is that "leave milk out for the cat" thing a myth?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
^^^ Yes. A lot of cats get diarrhea at a minimum from milk.

Just make sure it's plain yogurt. A good probiotic is Forti Flora, you can order it on amazon.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

Thanks so much for the tips! Taking out the wet food seems to have made it a little better. I'll see what I can do about picking up some yogurt, and give him only a tiny bit then keep a really close eye on him to see how it goes.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
My boyfriend and I took in a stray kitten, put up fliers etc etc, and now I guess she's ours!

She's probably about 4-5 months old, and has, for the most part, adapted well. We have two older boycats that are being quite tolerant of her and are learning to play with her gently, since they hugely outweigh her.

The only problem is that she stalks around the house all night yowling (not just meowing, screaming loudly), and now she's started doing it during the day. I have no familiarity with girl kittens, is this a precursor to going into heat? If not, what the heck can I do, because it's becoming seriously aggravating to not get any sleep at night. If we lock her in the bathroom, she rips at the carpet outside of the door. We tried keeping her in our bedroom last night and she still did it. I also played with all 3 of them for 30 minutes straight until she was tuckered out, hoping she was just bored.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

tsc posted:

The only problem is that she stalks around the house all night yowling (not just meowing, screaming loudly), and now she's started doing it during the day. I have no familiarity with girl kittens, is this a precursor to going into heat?
Yes. Get that cat fixed asap.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Kerfuffle posted:

Yes. Get that cat fixed asap.

:gonk: Will do. I don't know how people keep intact girls.

She's a cute little poo poo though!

She's a torbie, apparently.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

tsc posted:

:gonk: Will do. I don't know how people keep intact girls.

She's a cute little poo poo though!

She's a torbie, apparently.

She's cute! Have you taken her to the vet at all? Being a stray, you'll want to get her combo tested and make sure she doesn't have anything she could pass to your boy cats. And yeah, definitely get her fixed quick.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Ten pages and several months ago, I posted in this thread asking for a sanity check to see if I was crazy for wanting a cat. The general consensus was that it seemed like a reasonable decision, so I went along with it! I had to wait for months because I knew my house was going to be empty for two weeks in december, and I didn't want to have a cat adjust to moving from the shelter to my home, then to a friend's house for two weeks, then back to my house.

Finally, though, I'm back from visiting my folks, my housemates are all back, and we have a cat! HondaCivet advised me that since I had asked for advice, I had to post pictures; I have three so far.

Her name is Halcyon, she's a spayed 8 month old female from the local shelter. Initially I had been planning to adopt a gorgeous 1 year old calico that I had seen on the shelter website, but when I showed up to meet her, it turned out the shelter had lost her. I don't really know what happened.

So instead of meeting the calico, we hung out with this tiny little cat whose shelter name was "Skinny Ninny" because she weighs four pounds and change. She started out in my arms then climbed onto my shoulder, and I was pretty much in love with her. After one more aborted attempt to meet the lost cat the next day (she was still lost), my housemates and I decided that the calicat wasn't going to be friendlier than Skinny Ninny (which is a dumb name, so we changed it), and decided to stick with the orange lovebug.

She has conjuntivitis (apparently from the stress of being in the shelter?) so we have to give her eyedrops twice a day for a week. Also her adult teeth are coming in, and the shelter told us to give her antibiotics three times a day, also for a week. I'm bringing her to the vet for a wellness checkup on monday, and I'll be asking about that then, just to make sure we're doing the right thing. But aside from trying to medicate a cat, having Halcyon in the house has been a wonderful experience!

She likes to hang out in laps, and she has the loudest purr I've ever heard. And when she's excited or investigating something, her purr gets this weird chirp to it on the exhale. If you click your tongue and tap your lap, she'll hop right in, or onto the couch or bed next to you if that's where you tap. I'm thinking I'll try to clicker train her to do some tricks, since she likes being around people so much.

I got a fishing rod-type thing with feathers on the end of it. She doesn't care at all about the feathers, but will go crazy attacking the string and stick if you leave it lying on the ground. She also likes to stalk and pounce on small pieces of paper or hair ties; while I was writing this, she was constantly hiding behind things in my room, then pounding on a piece of paper, then hiding again. So adorable!

It's hard to see in the photos, but her eyes are a gorgeous shade of gold and she has tiger stripes that break up into spots running down her side. She was a stray before the stay at the shelter, and one ear is docked. I don't know if she was in a fight when she was a kitten, or if she was marked as part of a catch-and-release for feral cats, but it adds to her charm. She's an indoor cat only, so hopefully she'll stay intact from now on.

I'm very excited that she's living in the house with us now! Thank you everybody for all your advice back when I was asking for it, you can feel good knowing that you helped get a scared and lonely cat out of the shelter and into a home where she's purring pretty much non-stop! I'll try to take more and better pictures of her as she grows up.

edit: she's peed in her litter box, but it didn't look like there was any poop in it when I cleaned it today. How long should I wait before getting concerned, especially if she's going to the vet on Monday anyway?

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 7, 2011

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

RheaConfused posted:

She's cute! Have you taken her to the vet at all? Being a stray, you'll want to get her combo tested and make sure she doesn't have anything she could pass to your boy cats. And yeah, definitely get her fixed quick.

Yeah, we took her to check for a microchip and she got first-round shots and tests done just in case we kept her ('cause we were already in love).

This is awful :( We have an appointment for Sunday for her, but she sounds so miserable. The very gay boys are also miserable, and completely confused. Also she keeps trying to get a floor lamp to hump her and that's just not how it works, cat.

SBZPrincess
May 6, 2004

SBZPrincess posted:

Here is Angel's basic stats:

Weight: about 8 lbs
Food: Solid Gold Indigo Moon mixed with some Cosequin tablets (according to the vet, can help with interstitial cystitis)
Litterboxes: 3
Spayed: Yes
Declawed: hells no
Temperament: kinda shy, but she's snuggly at times. Doesn't make kitty piles with my other cat Cricket, but they don't hate each other.
Allergies: grains? She has bloody stool when she eats anything that has grains in it, she's had good results with the food she is on now.

The problem is peeing outside the litterbox. ... might have interstitial cystitis... :words:

An update on Angel: We did two more urinalyses, one in house and one sent off to the lab, and it was determined that she does not in fact have interstitial cystitis. The vet said she thinks it is a behavioral issue and prescribed Elavil. I gave it to her for a month, the first couple weeks were great, but after that she started peeing outside the litterbox again. Not on my clothes/couch this time, but on the tile floor in the bathroom (wtf?) and on top of my dryer (also wtf?). My schedule is actually better now because I just switched to a mornings only shift, but I'm looking at potentially having to move somewhere that is not as forgiving as the place I am in now, and I really don't want to have to put her down or take her to a shelter. I have had her for 4 years, she came from Maryland to Hawaii with me, and other than the pee issues, she is a very sweet kitty. I have tried Feliway, wet food, dry food, changing litters, moving litterboxes, gallons of Nature's Miracle and carpet cleanings. She poops in the box ok, is it possible that she has lost bladder control? It just seems odd to me that she is not peeing in the typical behavioral places (i.e. places that smell a lot like me, soft objects). Thanks for all your help and input.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

SBZPrincess posted:

An update on Angel: We did two more urinalyses, one in house and one sent off to the lab, and it was determined that she does not in fact have interstitial cystitis. The vet said she thinks it is a behavioral issue and prescribed Elavil. I gave it to her for a month, the first couple weeks were great, but after that she started peeing outside the litterbox again. Not on my clothes/couch this time, but on the tile floor in the bathroom (wtf?) and on top of my dryer (also wtf?). My schedule is actually better now because I just switched to a mornings only shift, but I'm looking at potentially having to move somewhere that is not as forgiving as the place I am in now, and I really don't want to have to put her down or take her to a shelter. I have had her for 4 years, she came from Maryland to Hawaii with me, and other than the pee issues, she is a very sweet kitty. I have tried Feliway, wet food, dry food, changing litters, moving litterboxes, gallons of Nature's Miracle and carpet cleanings. She poops in the box ok, is it possible that she has lost bladder control? It just seems odd to me that she is not peeing in the typical behavioral places (i.e. places that smell a lot like me, soft objects). Thanks for all your help and input.
A few things...
1) Have you tried retraining her to use the litterbox? Some people have success with keeping the cat confined to a bathroom or closet with a litter box and not much else. Will she urinate in the box if she is confined to a very small space? Have you tried non-litter materials in the box like newspaper or even clothes she has peed on? Some folks in PI have also had success with using positive reinforcement, i.e. giving treats and stuff every time she uses the box, but this isn't practical with many peoples' schedules.

2) I'm not sure why your vet is "ruling out" interstitial cystitis and calling it behavioral. In most cases, there's really no point in making this distinction because it's really probably the same thing. When a cat is peeing due to stress, (i.e. changes in your work schedule, fireworks, etc.) the cat isn't thinking "gently caress the litterbox, I'm peeing over here because I'm mad." There are actually physiological changes in the bladder going on in response to environmental stress, and it sounds like your vet has found at least some evidence of those changes in her urinalyses. That's called interstitial cystitis.

3) It doesn't sound like an incontinence issue to me. Usually with that you'd be finding little dribbles of urine all over the place. Also true loss of bladder control is really uncommon in cats, whereas interstitial cystitis is extremely common.

4) What pain meds have you tried?

5) Have you tried Cosequin?

6) Get a second opinion from a totally different clinic. The vets on this list will have a lot of experience with these problems, especially if you go to a feline-only clinic: http://www.catvets.com/findadoctor/findadoctor.aspx

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

tsc posted:

Yeah, we took her to check for a microchip and she got first-round shots and tests done just in case we kept her ('cause we were already in love).

This is awful :( We have an appointment for Sunday for her, but she sounds so miserable. The very gay boys are also miserable, and completely confused. Also she keeps trying to get a floor lamp to hump her and that's just not how it works, cat.

Yeah, cats in heat are about the most obnoxious things ever. Our girl pretty much completely lost her mind until we got her fixed. She just ran on the glass in the window all day, doing that stupid chirping, and wouldn't leave the window for anything. She even pooped up there once, she was in such a frenzy. Honestly it seemed to be as much a relief to her as it was to us when we got it done.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Does anybody with a larger-ish cat have an Armarkat tree? I've heard great things about them both in this forum and from friends but I'm concerned about their size. For reference Pompeii is about 20" from nose to rump (complete guesstimate) and weighs around 16 pounds. He a big boy. :3:

The only thing that gives me pause is on a page like this that lists perch dimensions at 14" x 14". Not tiny, but... he'll probably be hanging off the edge a bit.

Thanks for any input!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
3 of my 4 cats are 16+ pounds, and have no problem with our Armarkat tree. We have this one.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
When Ed was still a big fatty, we got our first Armakat tree and she was fine with it. There was one time she fell off it on the wall side and it was like some sort of fatty cat plinko machine, but I feel like that was more her clumsiness than anything. Now we have two trees, and Fry was the only one ever to knock one down (running leap with the full force of 7lbs :lol: ). Ed has lost weight since then, but she's still a big cat and still has absolutely no issues. Both our trees are in the 5-6ft range.

Edit: what are the odds that a cat with un-descended testicles will have issues later in life? One of the kittens I'm trying to adopt has this problem and is going in for his, ahem, spaying this week. The vet will give him a thorough exam at the time to make sure that is his only issue, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any problems? He will have his balls completely removed, so there shouldn't be a risk of cancer. And I guess this will be a longer recovery than the typical neutering. But other than that, the internet suggests he should have a long and happy life.
Hopefully his brother wont tease him about having to get spayed. We'll know on wednesday if that's his only problem. And we've settled on the names Arthur and Ford.

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 9, 2011

SBZPrincess
May 6, 2004

Crooked Booty posted:

A few things...
1) Have you tried retraining her to use the litterbox? Some people have success with keeping the cat confined to a bathroom or closet with a litter box and not much else. Will she urinate in the box if she is confined to a very small space? Have you tried non-litter materials in the box like newspaper or even clothes she has peed on? Some folks in PI have also had success with using positive reinforcement, i.e. giving treats and stuff every time she uses the box, but this isn't practical with many peoples' schedules.

2) I'm not sure why your vet is "ruling out" interstitial cystitis and calling it behavioral. In most cases, there's really no point in making this distinction because it's really probably the same thing. When a cat is peeing due to stress, (i.e. changes in your work schedule, fireworks, etc.) the cat isn't thinking "gently caress the litterbox, I'm peeing over here because I'm mad." There are actually physiological changes in the bladder going on in response to environmental stress, and it sounds like your vet has found at least some evidence of those changes in her urinalyses. That's called interstitial cystitis.

3) It doesn't sound like an incontinence issue to me. Usually with that you'd be finding little dribbles of urine all over the place. Also true loss of bladder control is really uncommon in cats, whereas interstitial cystitis is extremely common.

4) What pain meds have you tried?

5) Have you tried Cosequin?

6) Get a second opinion from a totally different clinic. The vets on this list will have a lot of experience with these problems, especially if you go to a feline-only clinic: http://www.catvets.com/findadoctor/findadoctor.aspx

1) Have not tried this, I will give it a shot and see how it goes!

2) I'm not sure.. I'm just going on what information I can find and have gotten from the vets.

3) Thanks, this helps.

4) The vet gave her Buprenex.

5) Angel will not tolerate Cosequin due to serious bowel inflammation issues, when I gave it to her, she had bloody stool again so I stopped using it.

6) Thanks for the link. There are a couple on Oahu and I will try to see if they will see Angel.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Abbeh posted:

Edit: what are the odds that a cat with un-descended testicles will have issues later in life? One of the kittens I'm trying to adopt has this problem and is going in for his, ahem, spaying this week. The vet will give him a thorough exam at the time to make sure that is his only issue, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any problems? He will have his balls completely removed, so there shouldn't be a risk of cancer. And I guess this will be a longer recovery than the typical neutering. But other than that, the internet suggests he should have a long and happy life.
Hopefully his brother wont tease him about having to get spayed. We'll know on wednesday if that's his only problem. And we've settled on the names Arthur and Ford.
He'll be fine. His recovery will be more like a spay than a neuter if they have to go digging around and he'll have a bigger incision that might look a little Frankenstein-esque. He'll probably be tearing around like a retard like 2 hours after his surgery. Kittens are bad :3:

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I went ahead and adopted a second kitty today. He's a handsome orange tabby, who's approximately 2 years old. I didn't realize until I was filling out paper work, but he was neutered only 2 days ago. The remains of his, ahem, manhood are very visible as he was neutered later in life and it's a recent change. Where do they normally do the incision so I can watch it for infection? I could take pictures of cat junk if anyone wants to help, but I won't subject you to it without asking first.

PS, Nova is giardia free and has 100% healthy poops.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Usually it's on the scrotum. There may not even be any stitches on the incision as it's generally pretty small, so it's very unlikely there will be complications. Do keep an eye on it though and make sure he doesn't lick at it too much.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pandaid posted:

I went ahead and adopted a second kitty today. He's a handsome orange tabby, who's approximately 2 years old. I didn't realize until I was filling out paper work, but he was neutered only 2 days ago. The remains of his, ahem, manhood are very visible as he was neutered later in life and it's a recent change. Where do they normally do the incision so I can watch it for infection? I could take pictures of cat junk if anyone wants to help, but I won't subject you to it without asking first.

PS, Nova is giardia free and has 100% healthy poops.
If he has any chance of wanting to lick his balls after a neutering, you should keep a cone of shame on him 24/7 until it's healed. Both my girl cats had to go back to the vet because I thought it was fine after a while but nope! had to go back for stays at the vet. The cone of shame is your friend, and your cat's friend - it may be a pain in the rear end, but it makes things MUCH easier for you and your cat in the long run so :dealwithit:.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I got a cat about six months ago from the Oregon Humane Society. It's a boy cat but I named her Charlotte anyway. She's about 14 and diabetic but it's in remission so as long as I feed her good food she does just fine. Before Charlotte I had never owned any animals and didn't really like them very much. I went to the humane society "just to look" at the cats and I realized I absolutely had to have this one. Within 24 hours of getting a cat I suddenly turned into a cat lady and now I actually find other people's cat stories compelling and will talk at length about and show strangers pictures of my cat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

inferis posted:

I got a cat about six months ago from the Oregon Humane Society. It's a boy cat but I named her Charlotte anyway. She's about 14 and diabetic but it's in remission so as long as I feed her good food she does just fine. Before Charlotte I had never owned any animals and didn't really like them very much. I went to the humane society "just to look" at the cats and I realized I absolutely had to have this one. Within 24 hours of getting a cat I suddenly turned into a cat lady and now I actually find other people's cat stories compelling and will talk at length about and show strangers pictures of my cat.

You are most definitely a cat lady, reassigning the gendered name and pronouns for your cat on the fly.

I'm just sayin', you're heading towards a road of having a cat that will be very confused about its sterilized sexuality. (good on you for taking care of an older cat though)

Geschi
Dec 22, 2007

War starts at midnight!
My two adult cats (one male, one female, both spayed and neutered) moved in with another adult male that is also neutered and so far any contact they have results in a huge hissing match that turns into a fight if they don't get separated. Am I correct to assume that this is normal and they should eventually get used to each other? Anything different I should be doing?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Enelrahc posted:

He'll be fine. His recovery will be more like a spay than a neuter if they have to go digging around and he'll have a bigger incision that might look a little Frankenstein-esque. He'll probably be tearing around like a retard like 2 hours after his surgery. Kittens are bad :3:

I can only hope :3: Ed had a pretty nasty looking incision when she was spayed, so it wont be something I haven't seen before. Hopefully he recovers quickly, if only because of the indignity of being spayed :lol:

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
How long does it take for a male cat to stop smelling so .... skunky after he's neutered? I think it's that and not a gland problem, but I don't know what that smells like either.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Has anyone here tried the Litter Kwitter method of getting your cat to use the human toilet?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Is this normal behavior for a cat?

Starting the day before yesterday and doing it a whole bunch today, she'll crouch very low to the ground with her butt sticking up in the air, and meow until you pet her. As your hand reaches her hip/abdomen area, she'll fidget with her back feet, wiggle her butt, and meow again.

If she wasn't spayed, I'd be guessing she's in heat, but the shelter told us she was. We've only had her since Thursday, so we don't have a baseline of behavior to determine what a departure from normal is. I feel like if I was hurting her when I pet her, then she'd be hissing at me and moving away when I pet her, instead of begging for more attention, right?

She's about 8 months old, and was literally at the vet yesterday for a Wellness exam, during which she got all kinds of felt up by the doctor. Presumably any kind of swollen organs or something would have been noticed during that, right? I'm bringing a stool sample to the vet in a day or two anyway, so I can ask about it then and bring her back if need be, but if other cats demonstrate this behavior then it would set my mind at ease.

edit: she's also been super needy and affectionate, but it doesn't look like she's lethargic or listless or anything. If it weren't for the weird meowing and butt-presenting, I wouldn't think anything at all was weird.

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 11, 2011

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Ed loves a good rear end slapping and will back that thang up until you start slapping it around. I wish I was making this up.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Abbeh posted:

All cats love a good rear end slapping and will back that thang up until you start slapping it around. I wish I was making this up.

fixed this for you

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Coca Koala posted:

Is this normal behavior for a cat?

Starting the day before yesterday and doing it a whole bunch today, she'll crouch very low to the ground with her butt sticking up in the air, and meow until you pet her. As your hand reaches her hip/abdomen area, she'll fidget with her back feet, wiggle her butt, and meow again.

If she wasn't spayed, I'd be guessing she's in heat, but the shelter told us she was. We've only had her since Thursday, so we don't have a baseline of behavior to determine what a departure from normal is. I feel like if I was hurting her when I pet her, then she'd be hissing at me and moving away when I pet her, instead of begging for more attention, right?

She's about 8 months old, and was literally at the vet yesterday for a Wellness exam, during which she got all kinds of felt up by the doctor. Presumably any kind of swollen organs or something would have been noticed during that, right? I'm bringing a stool sample to the vet in a day or two anyway, so I can ask about it then and bring her back if need be, but if other cats demonstrate this behavior then it would set my mind at ease.

edit: she's also been super needy and affectionate, but it doesn't look like she's lethargic or listless or anything. If it weren't for the weird meowing and butt-presenting, I wouldn't think anything at all was weird.

Is the meowing constant? Is there howling? Is she unbearable to be around?

Did she get spayed at the shelter? Sometimes people make guesses and can be wrong...

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

RheaConfused posted:

Is the meowing constant? Is there howling? Is she unbearable to be around?

Did she get spayed at the shelter? Sometimes people make guesses and can be wrong...

It's not constant, it's really only when you're hitting that one spot, and then only a quick little warble. No howling related to the petting; she was howling a few minutes ago but that's because I closed my door and there's nobody else in the house for her to play with. Normally she sleeps in my room but my housemates need to give her an evening dose of eyedrops and antibiotics.

She's definitely not unbearable to be around.

The medical records I got from the shelter indicate she's been spayed. The shelter has been a little bit weird sometimes (they lost a cat that I wanted to look at, had literally no idea where the cat was) but with all the vet appointments this girl had in the shelter, you'd think they'd notice if she hadn't been spayed and her records indicated she was.

She wasn't doing the butt presenting thing at all a few hours after I made the post, so I sort of suspect she's just being a weirdo.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I wonder if someone else has experienced this. For the past few weeks, I've been coughing a lot. At first I thought I might be getting sick, but it's really only a dry cough.

Am I allergic to my kitten? There is no sneezing. Just this cough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hobo Camp posted:

I wonder if someone else has experienced this. For the past few weeks, I've been coughing a lot. At first I thought I might be getting sick, but it's really only a dry cough.

Am I allergic to my kitten? There is no sneezing. Just this cough.
Probably not; usually you'd get watery/itchy/red eyes(the most common one I know of), difficulty breathing, or rashes. In some cases, the person can get over the allergies as well. Keep an eye on....uh...yourself, and see if the symptoms worsen. If you die, keep us posted.