Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I like the natural lighting here, those bigger limbs stand out nicely without a processed look and everything is in balance.

If you want a bland, featureless landscape with 5 miles of visibility 365 days a year, visit the lovely San Joaquin Valley. Miles of unidentifiable agriculture and utilities tasked with supporting millions of people are rather unsettling when there isn't another human being in sight. I'm not sure if these convey that, or are just boring. :v:

Central Valley by Icybacon, on Flickr

Between Cities by Icybacon, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

This instantly reminded me of Andreas Gursky's photo of the Rhine, pretty cool.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/nov/11/andreas-gursky-rhine-ii-photograph

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Alpenglow posted:

I like the natural lighting here, those bigger limbs stand out nicely without a processed look and everything is in balance.

If you want a bland, featureless landscape with 5 miles of visibility 365 days a year, visit the lovely San Joaquin Valley. Miles of unidentifiable agriculture and utilities tasked with supporting millions of people are rather unsettling when there isn't another human being in sight. I'm not sure if these convey that, or are just boring. :v:

Central Valley by Icybacon, on Flickr

This is cool, I think it would be even better if you cloned out the moon and whatever is floating in the water on the bottom left. When everything else is so uniform my eye keeps getting drawn to those two things and I think they distract rather than improve the image.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It has been a little foggy out up here lately. I like it.

20130213-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That pothole could swallow a car.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

And yet, there are tire tracks going through it? :stare:

big scary monsters posted:

This is cool, I think it would be even better if you cloned out the moon and whatever is floating in the water on the bottom left. When everything else is so uniform my eye keeps getting drawn to those two things and I think they distract rather than improve the image.

Thanks for the critique, I was on the fence about doing that originally and agree it's pretty distracting.

FACKER posted:

This instantly reminded me of Andreas Gursky's photo of the Rhine, pretty cool.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/nov/11/andreas-gursky-rhine-ii-photograph

Well, that explains the feeling like subconsciously copying a Ziggy.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Alpenglow posted:

Thanks for the critique, I was on the fence about doing that originally and agree it's pretty distracting.

On the other hand, I really like the moon there. It's faded, and high enough to not be immediately noticeable, or noticeable when you're looking at the thing generally, but when your eye starts to investigate, it finds the moon. Which is exactly how it works in real life during the day, when all of a sudden you spot the moon and -- for me, at least -- that's always an enjoyable experience.

Sure, once you've seen it, you're always going to see it, but who doesn't like the moon? Also, the water having poo poo in it gives it character! Without these elements one might think it artifice. Without them, you might be right about it conveying how featureless and bland that region must be. With them, the fact that every landscape has character, individuality and beauty shines through.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I'm still trying to figure out how to focus at higher apertures. Also my god is the weather depressing.

IMG_2549 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2550 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2524 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I went on a trip to Queensland. Super excited thinking I'd get oots of bokeh panoramas. I think my Circular Polarizer is responsible for messing a lot of them up (got a lot of vignette fingers in the sky). Quite disappointed so i didn't come back with much (didnt get to to see what I'd done until I got home to computer)

anyway here's a couple I've gone thru so far. Not sure if the kookaburra one counts as landscape? I'm gonna try and sneak it in anyway

Pandana Trees, Coolum Beach QLD by Alex Gard, on Flickr

kookaburras by Alex Gard, on Flickr

and one from January

Rainbow Serpent Festival by Alex Gard, on Flickr

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I saw a river:

London from The Shard by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

mongeese fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 17, 2013

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My favourite part of southern hemisphere night shots is when there's a constellation I recognize, but it's upside down to me. :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Good Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

IMG_9727 by Matt Roar, on Flickr

IMG_9703 by Matt Roar, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
God. drat.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

God. drat.

This owns.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Thanks man. I've walked past there hundreds of times. Just a few dozen with my camera and this time the light was perfect.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2013

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Late Afternoon Light by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Dang that's pretty.

Had fun snowshoeing.

DSC_7546.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7530.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7474.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7489.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Love the repetition and pattern with the numbers and lights on the second one. Lines and color on the third are very pleasing. Cut off car and left building seem to take away from the composition of the fourth.

Crossposted from PAD and I'd love some feedback. I understand why people shoot multiple exposures for landscapes because trying to balance the sky and snow in LR was an exercise in frustration.

Welcome to Pennsylvania! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

Love the repetition and pattern with the numbers and lights on the second one. Lines and color on the third are very pleasing. Cut off car and left building seem to take away from the composition of the fourth.

Crossposted from PAD and I'd love some feedback. I understand why people shoot multiple exposures for landscapes because trying to balance the sky and snow in LR was an exercise in frustration.

Welcome to Pennsylvania! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Thanks. Yeah I wish the car wasn't there. I can re-shoot there anytime since it's just down the street. I'm going to go back and shoot all of those places again with my 50 or 70-200. I was shooting with my 10-22 and forcing myself to NOT get perfect straight lines. I'm kinda OCD about straight lines and wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone.

I never shoot multiple exposures for my landscapes. Snow can be a pain and clouds can be difficult to get right. Can I see the original un-processed image?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

First time popping into this thread in a long time. I like that stuff Whitezombi. Nice progression from work a while back. Have you looked into showing in ABQ/Santa Fe? You should.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

First time popping into this thread in a long time. I like that stuff Whitezombi. Nice progression from work a while back. Have you looked into showing in ABQ/Santa Fe? You should.

Thanks! I am going to try and get a few shows going. I have a lot to do - it's kind of overwhelming actually. Are you from this area?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks man. I've walked past there hundreds of times. Just a few dozen with my camera and this time the light was perfect.

I'm a stickler for absolute straight lines, especially on shots like these. I really like the shots, from the colours, lighting to the composition, but having everything ever so slightly off-kilter kinda sucks.

The image on the red wall is a bit weird in that aspect. I can get why you tilted up and the roof of the building is pretty much level. The sidewalk is probably sloped a bit so that's why it's not completely horizontal. However, it might the building itself, but the bottom windows aren't exactly level with each other. The right one is slightly higher than the left one and it's hurting my OCD. :D

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Fragrag posted:

I'm a stickler for absolute straight lines, especially on shots like these. I really like the shots, from the colours, lighting to the composition, but having everything ever so slightly off-kilter kinda sucks.

The image on the red wall is a bit weird in that aspect. I can get why you tilted up and the roof of the building is pretty much level. The sidewalk is probably sloped a bit so that's why it's not completely horizontal. However, it might the building itself, but the bottom windows aren't exactly level with each other. The right one is slightly higher than the left one and it's hurting my OCD. :D

I know. It drove me crazy to shoot like this. I'll be shooting everything again soon. Here are some test shots with straight lines. (As straight as possible everything on this building is crooked as hell)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks! I am going to try and get a few shows going. I have a lot to do - it's kind of overwhelming actually. Are you from this area?
Formerly Interrupting Moss

Join a local visual arts organization, ask around for info. Volunteer. Submit applications for shows, grants, awards, whatever. Let someone else decide if you deserve it. Learn to talk about your work and decide what your work is about. Often being able to be clearly talk about what you do and why is what will separate you from everyone else. Don't bullshit.

e: I like those "test shots" too.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Formerly Interrupting Moss

Join a local visual arts organization, ask around for info. Volunteer. Submit applications for shows, grants, awards, whatever. Let someone else decide if you deserve it. Learn to talk about your work and decide what your work is about. Often being able to be clearly talk about what you do and why is what will separate you from everyone else. Don't bullshit.

e: I like those "test shots" too.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. Like I said - I have a lot do do. I have about 50 or so locations to shoot and I was using these as a test run.

I remember your old name but for some reason I cannot remember your work. Can you post a link or message me on flickr?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

http://bryancookphoto.com

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

poo poo. Of course I know who you are. Next time you are this way let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Just wanna say, those test shots are baller as gently caress. Do more like that.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Whitezombi posted:

I never shoot multiple exposures for my landscapes. Snow can be a pain and clouds can be difficult to get right. Can I see the original un-processed image?

pennsylvania - unedited by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I found it really hard to brighten the snow without screwing up the sky, basically.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

pennsylvania - unedited by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I found it really hard to brighten the snow without screwing up the sky, basically.

This is better than the one you posted earlier. just bump the midtones a bit and it'll be good.

eekabeep
Aug 31, 2007
not tag

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Wow, that's great!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P2200254.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Just a few shots around San Francisco

5D3_3001 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_0092 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_0146 by capacity4action, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

20130218-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Shot some B&W the other day. Not sure how I feel about the last one.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

Pull back the highlights and bump the midtones like 8th said. What time of day was it? Can you go back and shoot?

Very nice. Where is this?

8th-samurai posted:

20130218-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Shot some B&W the other day. Not sure how I feel about the last one.
The first one is excellent. The third doesn't do much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

a break in the clouds by wallofinsanity, on Flickr