Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Is it always better to pay down a higher interest rate loan or are there exceptions to this rule?

I have two loans which I'm paying off. One is an unsecured loan (taken out to pay off my credit card debt that was at an extremely high interest rate) for $2,667.37 at 10.49% and the other is my car loan for $6,275.64 at 6.25%.

I have been paying down the loan with the higher interest rate (more than three times its actual payment) but I just realized that it's now at the point where my car loan is accruing more interest daily because of its higher balance. Does this mean I should start targeting the car loan instead now or is it better to continue what I'm doing already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Continue to pay off the higher interest rate loan. Even though it's fewer total dollars, those dollars are still costing you more in interest per dollar than the other loan.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I bought a stock last year for $500 and later sold it for around 375 (I was trying out my investment skills with a small test, I am sticking to mutual funds now).

Do I need to do anything on my taxes if I lost money on the transaction? I've only filed taxes once in my life, last year, and everything was so simple, I pretty much just clicked through the turbo tax free program.

EDIT: Oh ya, speaking of taxes I want to do mine as soon as possible so I don't need to think about it anymore. Is there a certain date employers release your W2 for the year, or is it up to the company?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Xguard86 posted:

I bought a stock last year for $500 and later sold it for around 375 (I was trying out my investment skills with a small test, I am sticking to mutual funds now).

Do I need to do anything on my taxes if I lost money on the transaction? I've only filed taxes once in my life, last year, and everything was so simple, I pretty much just clicked through the turbo tax free program.

EDIT: Oh ya, speaking of taxes I want to do mine as soon as possible so I don't need to think about it anymore. Is there a certain date employers release your W2 for the year, or is it up to the company?

Refer to the other stickied thread for more tax info, but tax forms need to be issued by January 31, although most employers will get them out sooner. You will use Schedule D to record your tax losses. You will need to know the proceeds received from sale of the stock and your basis.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ah didn't see the other thread. Sounds simple though, thanks!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So through some idiocy, my W2 is floating through the US Mail with my personal identity fully visible to anyone. What service should I use to put a flag on my credit reports so people don't buy a house or something?

I got the free IDProtect thing from Sony, but I'm kind of worried about my identity getting hosed over now.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
This seems like the best thread to ask this in... like 2 years ago I saw a great flowchart style image in this very forum and am now unable to find it via archives or google.

The image/flowchart had 3 very basic breakdowns:
1. Overspending and you
2. Oversaving and you
3. 'Just right'

It's pretty fuzzy but I believe income was portrayed as water and the various places it needs to go as big and small pipes.

It may not have been water - The one thing I really remember is on the miser/oversaving example there was a cork plugging it up with 'Out?' as the description. It's great and I have some 'retirement, fixed-incomes, and you' conversations coming up with my parents and in-laws that I'd love to use it for to get some laughs while asking questions like 'how long do you expect you'll live?'.

I skimmed the OP and handful of the budget threads and could not find this thing... my firstborn to whoever can.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi posted:

So through some idiocy, my W2 is floating through the US Mail with my personal identity fully visible to anyone. What service should I use to put a flag on my credit reports so people don't buy a house or something?

I got the free IDProtect thing from Sony, but I'm kind of worried about my identity getting hosed over now.

A heavy googling answered my question.

https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoFraud_Online/jsp/fraudAlert.jsp
https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html
http://www.transunion.com/personal-credit/credit-disputes/fraud-alerts.page

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

flyboi posted:

You can put a freeze on your credit report so it cannot be pulled unless you call them up first and unlock it. That is better than nothing. Other than that, it is important for all of us to periodically check our credit through https://www.annualcreditreport.com to make sure there are no mistakes and we recognize everything, but in your case it is even more essential. That said, I think the odds you will get away with this are pretty good, I’m not sure how visible it is, or what exactly you did, but there is a lot of info on a W-2 that would be disconcerting if it ever got in the wrong hands. They have your name, address, social security number, know how much you make and where you work. They don’t have your date of birth, but I don’t think it would be hard to get that if you knew everything else.

I’m open to hear any other ideas anyone else has too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I have equifax scorewatch already so I get alerts anytime something happens with my credit report but I knew there was some service that froze your credit reports which I was able to find.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just got my W2 in the mail. Wow, my SSN, EID, wages and everything was exposed :catstare:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I'm in grad school and have my undergrad student loans on deferral. 5 loans in total - 2 from Direct Loans and 3 from Sallie Mae. One of the Sallie Mae loans is unsubsidized, the rest are subsidized. The unsubsidized loan is ~$1400 and is growing exponentially larger and stressing me out.

My question is this: Can I start paying off just that one loan without taking the others out of deferment? When I look at my "estimated repayment schedule" it just shows what my minimum payment would be for all three of the Sallie Mae loans. I can't afford that payment, but I would easily be able to throw $75-100 bucks a month at the unsubsidized loan and pay it off quickly.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

razz posted:

I'm in grad school and have my undergrad student loans on deferral. 5 loans in total - 2 from Direct Loans and 3 from Sallie Mae. One of the Sallie Mae loans is unsubsidized, the rest are subsidized. The unsubsidized loan is ~$1400 and is growing exponentially larger and stressing me out.

My question is this: Can I start paying off just that one loan without taking the others out of deferment? When I look at my "estimated repayment schedule" it just shows what my minimum payment would be for all three of the Sallie Mae loans. I can't afford that payment, but I would easily be able to throw $75-100 bucks a month at the unsubsidized loan and pay it off quickly.

Yes, you can. Sallie Mae lets you "submit a payment" and target it at a particular loan. It would be a good idea anyways to pay off the interest (at least) so it doesn't capitalize (get rolled into the principal). You can do this in any amount and it won't affect anything other than you'll owe less in the end. Go for it!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Okay, great! So the loans will stay in deferral mode even if I start paying on them? I've just got this horror scenario in my mind that I'll start paying on a loan and Sallie Mae will be all "HAHA now we know you can pay so we're taking them out of deferral, give me 1/3 of your income every month!"

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

razz posted:

Okay, great! So the loans will stay in deferral mode even if I start paying on them? I've just got this horror scenario in my mind that I'll start paying on a loan and Sallie Mae will be all "HAHA now we know you can pay so we're taking them out of deferral, give me 1/3 of your income every month!"

I share your distrust of loan companies. However, your deferral is based on your in-school status rather than any specific ability to repay =)

edit: you can be like my wife - she's been in grad school (phd) for more than 5 years and all of her loans are still in deferral. be glad that most of them are subsidized!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

razz posted:

The unsubsidized loan is ~$1400 and is growing exponentially larger and stressing me out.

What kind of interest rate is the loan where only $1400 is growing fast enough to stress you out? Even if it's something ridiculous like 10%, that's still only about $150/yr.

While it's a good idea to pay down the accumulated interest before it capitalizes, I wouldn't worry too much about paying the principle down early unless you already have a sizable cash cushion saved up (6+ months of expenses, IMO) and are in an otherwise relatively stable financial situation.

Although, if you can comfortably afford to start paying that one high interest rate loan down early, great, do it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2012

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Guinness posted:

What kind of interest rate is the loan only $1400 is growing fast enough to stress you out? Even if it's something ridiculous like 10%, that's still only about $150/yr.

While it's a good idea to pay down the accumulated interest before it capitalizes, I wouldn't worry too much about paying the principle down early unless you already have a sizable cash cushion saved up (6+ months of expenses, IMO).

It's not that the interest rate is ridiculous - it's 6.8%. But I totally screwed up and have been ignoring it since I graduated in December 2008. So the loans have been on deferral for 3 years, and just that one loan has already got about $400 bigger :ohdear:

I don't have a huge safety net in terms of savings. I'd say 3 months, 4 if I REALLY cut back. I try to sock away a bit of money each month. I'm in a very stable but fairly low-wage job situation.

razz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 10, 2012

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have the sinking feeling that my dad is right about this and I don't care about the money, I just hate it that he's right.

I started work middle of August, 2011. Between then and Oct 1, I made over $5000. I was not yet eligible for a 401k.

Should I have put 5k into a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA for FY2011?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I have the sinking feeling that my dad is right about this and I don't care about the money, I just hate it that he's right.

I started work middle of August, 2011. Between then and Oct 1, I made over $5000. I was not yet eligible for a 401k.

Should I have put 5k into a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA for FY2011?

Tough question to answer. It really comes down to whether you can afford to do so or not. I think you'll find a lot of people feel that if you can fund it, you should.

The good news is that you can still put money into a Traditional or Roth IRA for FY2011. It just has to be opened and funded by the tax filing deadline. So it's not too late.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I can afford it. Thing is, I already put 3k into a Roth so it sounds like I can only put 2k into a Traditional?

I guess the reasoning is that if I put 5k into a Traditional, since my earnings for FY2011 is so low, I can basically deduct nearly all of my income?

(My question isn't "Do I save money or not" but rather, "Which should I save my money in?")

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It's not an easy question to answer-but the ideal sequence of events for a Roth IRA is basically you putting in the max every year for a while -> your income goes over the limit so that when you retire you have at least one source of income not subject to taxes. Traditional IRAs as I understand them may benefit more if your income does not go over the limit, but leaves you with taxable income once you start drawing it down.

It comes down to whether you'll be paying higher tax rates at retirement age than at present. If yes, Roth should be ideal.

So it's possible that if you have a good idea of your career trajectory an expected earnings you could know which was best for you-but it's unlikely.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you didn't make much money at all this year, I think the Roth is the smarter option. I mean after your own deduction, how much tax would you really be paying this year? Odds are it would benefit you much more down the line.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You can put a freeze on your credit report so it cannot be pulled unless you call them up first and unlock it. That is better than nothing. Other than that, it is important for all of us to periodically check our credit through https://www.annualcreditreport.com to make sure there are no mistakes and we recognize everything, but in your case it is even more essential. That said, I think the odds you will get away with this are pretty good, I’m not sure how visible it is, or what exactly you did, but there is a lot of info on a W-2 that would be disconcerting if it ever got in the wrong hands. They have your name, address, social security number, know how much you make and where you work. They don’t have your date of birth, but I don’t think it would be hard to get that if you knew everything else.

I’m open to hear any other ideas anyone else has too.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't checked it since I bought my new house last year.

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010

Nocheez posted:

It sounds to me like you have some breathing room, but could be better off with a written budget.

This is done. I made a generalized budget that turned out not to have much extra to put toward loans (saving against car maintenance; the car's been a real bear these past couple of years); decided I'd like to kill that 4.8 APY loan as quickly as possible and wrote a crash budget for that:

code:
Net Pay    1271.26

Monthly Expenses	
Rent    -317.50
Internet/landline    -70
Electricity    -27

Min. loan payments	
ACS    -58.49
Direct    -108.12
AES 2004    -64
AES 2003    -86

Snowball overpayment    -242.15

Regular expenses	
Gas    -190
Laundry    -20

Recurring expenses	
Tracfone re-up (set aside)    -8
Contingency    -37

Savings	
Savings (non-contingency)     0
Car maint. conting. (2011, amortized)	0
Car registration savings    -11
Car insurance savings    -32

Discretionary	0

Other expenses	0
Other income	0
If I run surpluses on this budget I can eliminate that one loan in less than a year and then rebalance necessary savings vs. debt overpayment. I'm going to float car repairs on cash-on-hand for the duration of this budget instead of saving against them; I have about 4K total cash as of now and maintenance over each of the past two years has been sub-2K, so I'll be set if that trend holds.

We killed satellite TV which saves me $37/mo.; I'm checking quotes for new car insurance (have to get an inkling of good companies first, though); might fetch about $200 selling off some junk this month; and my net pay for January and February will be higher than budgeted because the payroll tax holiday is still in effect (also, 1 paid holiday each month).

Also, having written this down makes it plain that my wage is less adequate than I previously figured. New job search is in progress.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I started a new job last year, with much better benefits and pay than any previous one I've had. As a result, my tax situation has gone from a "click next to continue" scenario to having actual investment accounts, which I've never dealt with before. So I'd like to hire a tax service to walk me through this year's taxes. Other than just going to H&R Block or looking up accountants in the phone book, I have no idea where to begin.

Bonus points if I can find someone to advise me on my overall financial situation. I'm debt free aside from a small ($400) ongoing dispute with T-Mobile, and I'm saving for a possible down payment on a house or condo about 3 years from now. My credit score is low (601 last I checked) due to some student loans I defaulted on a few years ago (and the aforementioned dispute). I expect my income situation to be stable, so is 3 years of good credit habits realistic to boost it to around 675-700?

EDIT: Also, if I want to retroactively max out my 2011 Roth, when do I file my taxes? I usually do them early as possible but won't have that done until March of this year.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 11, 2012

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You have until tax day 2012 to max out your 2011 Roth contributions.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

El_Elegante posted:

You have until tax day 2012 to max out your 2011 Roth contributions.

Right, but is it acceptable / advisable to file in February as if I had already contributed the $5000 when that won't be finished until a month later?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TurboTax is a lot cheaper than hiring a tax professional, and is extremely straightforward to use. An investment account or two is not very difficult to file on your taxes. With TurboTax or the like, it's literally "put the value from box A here, put the value from box B here" etc.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

We do have a tax thread if you have any quick questions or if you get stuck on something. You should not have the expectation that anyone will do them for free, but furu and others know their poo poo, and you can hire him to do everything for you. I wrote most of the OP, but I’ve been out of the tax prep business for about 3 years now so I have not been keeping up with it much of late.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Right, but is it acceptable / advisable to file in February as if I had already contributed the $5000 when that won't be finished until a month later?

IANATP (tax professional) but I can't imagine they'd let you file your taxes reporting something you hadn't actually done yet (even if you planned to do it). Have patience!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Zeta Taskforce posted:

We do have a tax thread if you have any quick questions or if you get stuck on something. You should not have the expectation that anyone will do them for free, but furu and others know their poo poo, and you can hire him to do everything for you. I wrote most of the OP, but I’ve been out of the tax prep business for about 3 years now so I have not been keeping up with it much of late.

Of course, if I get professional help I'm willing to pay. I'll take a look around that thread first and see if it covers what I need to know, thanks!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I used to be a tax preparer, but I’m beginning to be rusty with tax questions that don’t affect me directly, so take it for what it’s worth, but especially with a Roth, I don’t think it is a problem. Keep in mind that contributing to a Roth has zero tax implications. You don’t even have to report it to the IRS.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

It doesn't matter since it has no effect on your tax return. You don't have to report your Roth on your return unless it's a conversion. The custodian (Fidelity, Vanguard, etc) will report to the IRS however how much you contributed for that year. A lot of people fund their Roth IRAs with their tax return in fact.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

Niwrad posted:

It doesn't matter since it has no effect on your tax return. You don't have to report your Roth on your return unless it's a conversion. The custodian (Fidelity, Vanguard, etc) will report to the IRS however how much you contributed for that year. A lot of people fund their Roth IRAs with their tax return in fact.

Bingo. Roth contributions have zero tax consequences (baring income limit BS) because it's post tax money anyway. Just like the IRS doesn't care how you spend the rest of your post tax money, they don't care about Roth contributions, either.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

T0MSERV0 posted:

Bingo. Roth contributions have zero tax consequences (baring income limit BS) because it's post tax money anyway. Just like the IRS doesn't care how you spend the rest of your post tax money, they don't care about Roth contributions, either.

What about the saver's credit?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

kaishek posted:

What about the saver's credit?

In the rare cases it applies, (people who tend to earn so little to qualify for it tend to be so broke that they can’t do an IRA and/or their job doesn’t come with benefits like a 401K), you would need to do an amendment.

Binary
May 21, 2004
I'm applying for personal health insurance (US) and want to know if I can raise the deductible on an existing policy so as to lower the montly premium while keeping the same policy. This is United Health One, to be specific.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

T0MSERV0 posted:

Makes sense when you put it like that. I always just skipped over that part of my taxes so I just assumed it was in there. Thanks!

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
I just received a rather hefty (60k+) and unexpected cashiers check from my deceased grandmothers estate. I have no loving clue what to do with it and how to figure out if/how it will affect some things. I will have to deposit it I think because it is drawn from Comerica bank (Michigan bank I guess?) and their website says nothing even is close to me (eastern CT.)

- Live in Connecticut,and not the rich part. As a family unit,we are normally barely above week to week, all 3 of us currently qualify for SNAP and Medicaid (will be 3yrs next month son has HUSKY A which is pretty much full coverage, wife and I qualify under HUSKY for Primary Caregivers) I work a 40hr week.
- My wife does not work currently, just finished schooling and has to pass a test for certication - due to developments with our son (see next bullet point) during the course of her going to school, I don't think she will be getting a paying job in the near future. Thus there is the unsubsidized portion of her student loan, roughly $6k, which we recently submitted the paperwork to do the Income Based Repayment schedule.
- My son is on the autistic spectrum, so on advice of his pediatrician and his (state-funded)therapists we just last week started the application process for SSI for him.
- Have about $2500 debt between two credit cards. This is the only thing I know I want to pay off.
-Other debts: monthly rent, other typical bills (electricity,car insurance, internet,phone, type stuff)

I guess I am hoping for some good impartial advice here, because I'm pretty sure between my credit union and my stepfather (who is great with money stuff) I will get some good advice but I'm certain people here might give me some good alternative ideas what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Coffee Wolf posted:

I just received a rather hefty (60k+) and unexpected cashiers check from my deceased grandmothers estate. I have no loving clue what to do with it and how to figure out if/how it will affect some things. I will have to deposit it I think because it is drawn from Comerica bank (Michigan bank I guess?) and their website says nothing even is close to me (eastern CT.)

- Live in Connecticut,and not the rich part. As a family unit,we are normally barely above week to week, all 3 of us currently qualify for SNAP and Medicaid (will be 3yrs next month son has HUSKY A which is pretty much full coverage, wife and I qualify under HUSKY for Primary Caregivers) I work a 40hr week.
- My wife does not work currently, just finished schooling and has to pass a test for certication - due to developments with our son (see next bullet point) during the course of her going to school, I don't think she will be getting a paying job in the near future. Thus there is the unsubsidized portion of her student loan, roughly $6k, which we recently submitted the paperwork to do the Income Based Repayment schedule.
- My son is on the autistic spectrum, so on advice of his pediatrician and his (state-funded)therapists we just last week started the application process for SSI for him.
- Have about $2500 debt between two credit cards. This is the only thing I know I want to pay off.
-Other debts: monthly rent, other typical bills (electricity,car insurance, internet,phone, type stuff)

I guess I am hoping for some good impartial advice here, because I'm pretty sure between my credit union and my stepfather (who is great with money stuff) I will get some good advice but I'm certain people here might give me some good alternative ideas what to do.

I think you have an obligation to your grandmother to use this money wisely, and take time to reflect on what this means.

I would pay off the credit card today. Next I would pay off the student loans. Then I would fund Roth IRA accounts for you and your wife. As for the rest, that could take multiple forms. If there is education that either you or your wife needs, you will always get a great return on investment by investing in yourself. You can also put it towards a down payment on a house. But other than paying off the debt, and the IRA accounts, which I would do today, I would put the rest in a money market or savings account and let it sit there. In 6 months it will still be there and you should have more clarity on the best way to honor your grandmothers memory.