Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Valicious posted:

Uhg...I'm just getting my rear end handed to my every time I play my modern affinity deck...running the thoughcast/galvanic blast varient.

Thats because affinity in modern is terrible. I played legacy affinity for years before it finally died. Are you trying the Tezzerett variant? It seems to be more effective in the modern metas I have seen. One of the guys in our LGS plays with splashing white for Dispatch.

MY views on Affinity.

Blinkmoth sucks, Inkmoth rules.
Galvanic blast is a 4 of, shrapnel blast is a 2 of
frogmite sucks

Sample build for no red splash white

4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Etched Champion
3 Master of Etherium
4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
3 Signal Pest
4 Vault Skirge

3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

4 Cranial Plating
2 Dispatch
3 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum
4 Thoughtcast

1 watery grave
4 Darksteel Citadel
3 Glimmervoid
4 inkmoth nexus
1 Island
1 hallowed fountain
1 Swamp

Stinky Pit posted:

Don't be hesitant to chuck a Daze/Spell Pierce at a cantrip. I see a lot of newish RUG players don't consider Brainstorm/Ponder "must counter" spells, and while they aren't quite must counter dropping a Daze on a Brainstorm is probably one of the better early plays along with T1 Delver, and Stifle your Fetchland.

Yeah I knocked out Show and Tell game 3 after side boarding by dropping a fetch and playing a mongoose, dazing his brainstorm and then wasting the volcanic he dropped and surgically extracting it. Kept him off his mana with stifles on his next 2 fetches and countering his S&T when he would attempt to cast it off a lotus petal.

He was kind of mad. And the single mongoose did his thing in the end.

All in all the deck is pretty fun. I have played against it for so long (or a variant of it) that it seems like I know it pretty well. Its definitely not as hard so loving Doomsday to pilot, which is my go to when no one sees it coming. But since I got tired of Punishing Jund this was the obvious next step.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thats because affinity in modern is terrible.

loving lol.

Anyways gp Minneapolis is this weekend. I'm thinking of story circle as my 15th sideboard card in my UWr control deck. It seems really drat good against boggle and burn and solid against rug twin.

Edit : oh god that tezz list

Shavnir fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 7, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is it a Colonnade/Snapcaster deck or the Prison deck? I liked the card in my Prison sideboard except it doesn't play well with Suppression Field.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Is it a Colonnade/Snapcaster deck or the Prison deck? I liked the card in my Prison sideboard except it doesn't play well with Suppression Field.

Colonnade and snaps ofc.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shavnir posted:

Edit : oh god that tezz list
Yeah, I can't really take the opinions someone holds about affinity seriously if they're discussing Frogmite as anything other than a historical footnote.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, I can't really take the opinions someone holds about affinity seriously if they're discussing Frogmite as anything other than a historical footnote.

Also not running 4 of Blinkmoth Nexus :laffo:.

Must be a ridiculous attribution error to ignore Blinkmoth as a part of Inkmoth's power.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

But the deck that put 5 players in the t16 of the largest modern tournament ever is terrible so here, let me cut a land and poo poo all over the mana curve with a 4 drop.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

MY views on Affinity.

Are wrong.

Everything wrong about this has pretty much been stated except for

Errant Gin Monks posted:

One of the guys in our LGS plays with splashing white for Dispatch.

You don't splash anything in affinity. You're running 4 opals, 4 springleaf drums, and usually 2-3 glimmervoids. That's 10 any color mana. You splash blue because not being able to play master of etherium/thoughtcast is a death sentence.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
He said he wanted a different variant. That's one that has had success in my meta. Not the end all be all just an alternate that I have seen do well down here.

To be frank I don't play modern as I don't like the format in any way. Especially after they banned bloodbraid and punishing fire.

I didn't give him the list as "the best affinity ever."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He said he wanted a different variant. That's one that has had success in my meta. Not the end all be all just an alternate that I have seen do well down here.

To be frank I don't play modern as I don't like the format in any way. Especially after they banned bloodbraid and punishing fire.

Except when you post that "Affinity in Modern is terrible" and then post completely erroneous thoughts on Affinity it puts the credibility of any kind of list you'd post in question.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zoness posted:

Except when you post that "Affinity in Modern is terrible" and then post completely erroneous thoughts on Affinity it puts the credibility of any kind of list you'd post in question.

That's fine, I played legacy affinity for years. The deck was neutered in modern compared to how it handles in legacy. Which is where my "it's terrible in modern" was from. But hell if people like it and pilot it well to top 8s hooray for them.

If I have to play modern I play Gruul aggro. But I haven't played in a modern tournament in over a year.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Is your meta like 10 people?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shavnir posted:

Is your meta like 10 people?

No...its South and central Texas. And we go to all the tournaments from Dallas to Houson to San Antonio and Austin.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No...its South and central Texas. And we go to all the tournaments from Dallas to Houson to San Antonio and Austin.

I am so looking forward to modern season then.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shavnir posted:

I am so looking forward to modern season then.

You won't see me in any modern tournaments, but if you play in any legacy events be sure to let me know.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You won't see me in any modern tournaments, but if you play in any legacy events be sure to let me know.

There's a total of two legacy tournaments a year in Dallas. The format is just too expensive for that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shavnir posted:

There's a total of two legacy tournaments a year in Dallas. The format is just too expensive for that.

Yeah it kind of sucks. A guy from on of our stores won the SCG Dallas legacy tournament a few weeks ago. I wish they had more events that were large. We mostly play in smaller 12-30 person local events.

It's not too terribly expensive if you don't change decks all the time, I think I put Punishing Jund together for about 2k. They just need to ditch the reserved list and reprint everything in legacy masters or something.

Im in for around 1k on RUG delver but I only had to buy the lands and forces/stifle

Edit:vvv try using tower of the magistrates, no one ever expects their batterskull/jitte to fall off.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 8, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
My favorite part of legacy is running Metalworker/Welder and just showing up every week with the goofiest sideboard tech imaginable with 1 dollar rares like Timesifter

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Valicious posted:

Uhg...I'm just getting my rear end handed to my every time I play my modern affinity deck...running the thoughcast/galvanic blast varient.

I'm not a great affinity player but I've been at it for 6 months or so. What seems to be your issue?

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Legacy is fun, but given the crazy prices of stuff these days it is hard not to cash out given that I play Legacy like 4x a year. $350 for underground sea? $200 for goyfs? Jeez. Even realizing that I'd only get 70% of that.. is still an insane return over what I paid.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Comparing the power level of Modern decks to Legacy decks is about the stupidest thing I've ever read on SA.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Vilgan posted:

Legacy is fun, but given the crazy prices of stuff these days it is hard not to cash out given that I play Legacy like 4x a year. $350 for underground sea? $200 for goyfs? Jeez. Even realizing that I'd only get 70% of that.. is still an insane return over what I paid.

The thing that paralyzes me from selling my duals and other insanely inflated things (that I only use for Commander in a similar fashion) is the knowledge that they're only going to keep going up uP UP if the reserved list beneficiaries keep having their way, so if I ever in my later life want to use those cards again, I would be soundly punished for having made the decision to sell now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

The thing that paralyzes me from selling my duals and other insanely inflated things (that I only use for Commander in a similar fashion) is the knowledge that they're only going to keep going up uP UP if the reserved list beneficiaries keep having their way, so if I ever in my later life want to use those cards again, I would be soundly punished for having made the decision to sell now.

The inflation makes me really wish I had invested in a better choice than Taiga when I got drunk 5 years ago and bought a few duals on eBay.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thats because affinity in modern is terrible.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen in this thread.

Affinity in modern is a tier 1 deck. If your sideboard does not show it the respect it deserves in a tournament it will blow you out of the water.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, kind of in the same boat. I'm sitting on dredge, high tide and merfolk, burn too I guess, plus some other random duals and legacy staples. I haven't played a legacy event in yeeaars, but I haven't needed to cash out per se, and I don't want to if I can avoid it. Same thing with modern, I have pod plus enough staples to probably cobble together a couple other competitive decks on the spot, I've literally never played in a modern event. Some day, when I have more time :ohdear:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Lands:
2 Breeding Pool
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Forest
3 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Watery Grave

Good Stuff:
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Dark Confidant
3 Mana Leak
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Vendilion Clique
2 Cryptic Command

Sideboard:
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Slaughter Pact
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
1 Mana Leak
1 Shadow of Doubt
2 Creeping Corrosion
3 Mindbreak Trap

SB Plans: Vs twin, UWR: bring in 1 inquisition, 3 Slaughter Pact out: 3 scooze, 1 thoughtseize. Pretty favorable G1 and post sideboard.

vs. tron: lose

I haven't really played anything besides those 2. I need a better SB for tron. Is Rain of Tears, snapcaster Rain of Tears a good enough line of play? I don't see many other options.

explosives are for affinity but I haven't really played against it, I might not need Shadow of Doubt and Creeping Corrosion.

beast within? Blech

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Molybdenum posted:

vs. tron: lose

I haven't really played anything besides those 2. I need a better SB for tron. Is Rain of Tears, snapcaster Rain of Tears a good enough line of play? I don't see many other options.

explosives are for affinity but I haven't really played against it, I might not need Shadow of Doubt and Creeping Corrosion.

beast within? Blech

Wouldn't Fulminator Mage be good for Tron? That and hand disruption seems to be how Jund won against Tron at times (then again I haven't seen many jund vs RG tron matchups in a while).

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Typically the way the tron match up plays out is: they play some lands/baubles, I strip the rest of their hand and they top deck their way to a win usually by searching up eye of ugin then searching up wurmcoil/titan/emrakul.

Even if I strip their hands to nothing but land, the clock I present is so slow (A snapcaster or goyf gives them 10 or 4 turns typically) that they get to this point eventually. If a karn comes down I'm still screwed because his +4 is tough for me to beat with just a snapcaster in play.

I considered fulminator too, but I like that with rain of tears I can nab 2 lands with snapcaster. They are both the same mana requirements for me, so no trade off there. I've played a tron match up every week for the past 3 months and the only one I've won was UW tron where the guy didn't have Eye and kept BAD hands.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

My favorite part of legacy is running Metalworker/Welder and just showing up every week with the goofiest sideboard tech imaginable with 1 dollar rares like Timesifter

Might I recommend Monkey Cage for the Sneak and Show or Reanimator matchup?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

Might I recommend Monkey Cage for the Sneak and Show or Reanimator matchup?

Does that work if you sneak out Monkey Cage?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Does that work if you sneak out Monkey Cage?

Yes, they enter simultaneously and see each other enter.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So I've basically finished putting together modern 8 rack except for some pricier cards: still need a fourth LotV, two more bobs, and urborg, tomb of the good one. Any advice on the mono-black version would be great but I was more specifically wondering if anyone had experience or opinions on a B/r or B/g version.

I have four verdant catacombs and a set of overgrown tomb and blood crypts so monetarily it's doable but I have no idea if it makes the deck any better. Red gives access to bolt (duh), terminate, and blightning, and not sure what else would be useful. Likewise, green provides abrupt decay, pulse, and loam if I go that route more heavily. Both open up the sideboard options at least. I can post the mono b list I'm pondering in a bit if it'd help but any thoughts on the splash would be appreciated!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

So I've basically finished putting together modern 8 rack except for some pricier cards: still need a fourth LotV, two more bobs, and urborg, tomb of the good one. Any advice on the mono-black version would be great but I was more specifically wondering if anyone had experience or opinions on a B/r or B/g version.

I have four verdant catacombs and a set of overgrown tomb and blood crypts so monetarily it's doable but I have no idea if it makes the deck any better. Red gives access to bolt (duh), terminate, and blightning, and not sure what else would be useful. Likewise, green provides abrupt decay, pulse, and loam if I go that route more heavily. Both open up the sideboard options at least. I can post the mono b list I'm pondering in a bit if it'd help but any thoughts on the splash would be appreciated!
Green is monumentally better, as you need some way to deal (cheaply) with Leyline of Sanctity. It might not be *for* you, but it does *hit* you. Nature's Claim is nice, as is Krosan Grip. Each has their advantages.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tharizdun posted:

Green is monumentally better, as you need some way to deal (cheaply) with Leyline of Sanctity. It might not be *for* you, but it does *hit* you. Nature's Claim is nice, as is Krosan Grip. Each has their advantages.

Suppose it depends on the meta (how much burn and how many white decks packing it) but I was under the impression leyline of sancity wasn't very often played. It obviously has huge game against me but is that worth a color splash? And does krosan grip's split second offer many advantages over maelstrom pulse which can deal with creatures on the board too? Not much experience here so I'm not trying to be confrontational but am genuinely curious.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Pontius Pilate posted:

Suppose it depends on the meta (how much burn and how many white decks packing it) but I was under the impression leyline of sancity wasn't very often played. It obviously has huge game against me but is that worth a color splash? And does krosan grip's split second offer many advantages over maelstrom pulse which can deal with creatures on the board too? Not much experience here so I'm not trying to be confrontational but am genuinely curious.

Grip is instant and essentially uncounterable (gently caress you person that mentions willbender/chalice at 3). Even spellskite can't redirect to itself.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Molybdenum posted:

Grip is instant and essentially uncounterable (gently caress you person that mentions willbender/chalice at 3). Even spellskite can't redirect to itself.

The spellskite part is certainly nice but what decks are playing sanctity and counters? U/W/(r)? And instant speed is of course better but when the whole deck plays at sorcery speed it isn't as good as it could be. I suppose my question about just how much leyline of sanctity is played in modern is the most important factor.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

I've played a bunch of 8-rack, I'm a big fan of it. I have never wanted nor needed a fourth Liliana in that deck. She's good, no doubt, but expensive (at 3 mana). Some things to consider:

I don't think Bob goes in this deck. The idea is dump your hand, not keep it full. You're thinking maybe of Modern Pox (though why god would you build and play modern pox?). Once the Ensnaring Bridge comes down, your enemy is now Bob killing you by alternately dealing enough damage via extraneous bridges/lilianas or just feeding you two lands so their one-drops can attack for a turn.(VERY RELEVANT AGAINST AFFINITY AND INFECT) If you're committed to Bob, I'd only run him sideboard, as going truly creatureless game one will gently caress up their board decisions real hard. It's also an argument for a transformative sideboard into Phyrexian Obliterator.

Funeral Charm is amazing and one of the best cards in the deck. A swiss-army knife that chops through 1-drops, especially Signal Pest and Noble Hierarch, who both put in a lot of work against us, and can snag threats on their draw step (instant speed discard!!)

Apostle's Blessing or Welding Jar pretty much has to be a four-of in your board, as they will bring in all the hate for Ensnaring Bridge, and if the Bridge comes down, you lose. Other white cards to think about : Leyline of Sanctity, which is crucial against Jund and (especially) Burn, as they can have the reach to beat you without the attack step.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 9, 2014

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tharizdun posted:

I've played a bunch of 8-rack, I'm a big fan of it. I have never wanted nor needed a fourth Liliana in that deck. She's good, no doubt, but expensive (at 3 mana). Some things to consider:

I don't think Bob goes in this deck. The idea is dump your hand, not keep it full. You're thinking maybe of Modern Pox (though why god would you build and play modern pox?). Once the Ensnaring Bridge comes down, your enemy is now Bob killing you by alternately dealing enough damage via extraneous bridges/lilianas or just feeding you two lands so their one-drops can attack for a turn.(VERY RELEVANT AGAINST AFFINITY AND INFECT) If you're committed to Bob, I'd only run him sideboard, as going truly creatureless game one will gently caress up their board decisions real hard. It's also an argument for a transformative sideboard into Phyrexian Obliterator.

Funeral Charm is amazing and one of the best cards in the deck. A swiss-army knife that chops through 1-drops, especially Signal Pest and Noble Hierarch, who both put in a lot of work against us, and can snag threats on their draw step (instant speed discard!!)

Apostle's Blessing or Welding Jar pretty much has to be a four-of in your board, as they will bring in all the hate for Ensnaring Bridge, and if the Bridge comes down, you lose. Other white cards to think about : Leyline of Sanctity, which is crucial against Jund and (especially) Burn, as they can have the reach to beat you without the attack step.

Thanks for the advice! Not necessarily needing a fourth lili is nice though I do want a play set anyway just cause. Bob and funeral charm were both cards I was on the fence about. Funeral charm is nice and versatile and losing to the perfect top deck after a lock is obviously lovely. Will definitely try it. Bob being a draw engine by himself (like I need to explain why he's good) was just too tempting and even if he draws removal that's at least an inefficient discard spell; however I really am probably better off dropping him especially since I want to play some poxes. Mind posting the most recent list you played? So many options for the deck and it's tough to figure out the correct balance.

Edit: have you or anyone tried out Waste Not? I can't decide if it's too cute or a serious upgrade to the deck.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 9, 2014

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I'm not a great affinity player but I've been at it for 6 months or so. What seems to be your issue?

Clunky draws mostly. That and keeping or mulliganing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Valicious posted:

Clunky draws mostly. That and keeping or mulliganing.

That is Affinity's specialty. You get a good hand or you don't, mulliganing is painful. I've won going to 5, not below. Its a bitch.

• Locked thread