Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Didn't someone in here throw out the theory a while ago that the Steven is actually only a few years old at the start of the show (explaining why he seems to know less than he should about his surroundings?)

Well, maybe not that extreme time-wise, but the 8-foot tall, pregnant-looking Rose lends credence to the theory that Steven was born more advanced in his development than a regular human baby. Maybe she had to shapeshift that large to accommodate his large baby size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Somebody did, but then it was pointed out that he's definitely had at least a couple of earlier birthdays, and he mentioned being smaller then.

Plus Rose mentioned that Steven was going to be a human being, so it's most likely that he came into the world as a baby, as human-ly as possible.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 6, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steven owns a smartphone, but when his mother was pregnant with him, she had a VHS recorder.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also his dad has lost most of his hair.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I thought the fact that Lion's Mane-World consisted of items that pertained to both Rose and Greg was some proof that Steven's birth was unnatural. Like it was done in a mystical ritual that required items from both Rose and Greg to create something new.

Then the tape showed her baby belly and that hope was destroyed. However, Rose did say that, 'I will become a part of you', or something along those lines. I kinda interpreted that as a portion of herself went to make Steven, while what was left over created Lion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Then the tape showed her baby belly and that hope was destroyed. However, Rose did say that, 'I will become a part of you', or something along those lines. I kinda interpreted that as a portion of herself went to make Steven, while what was left over created Lion.

I assumed the fact that the tape that she made was inside Lion's mane (along with other personal items) was a sign that Lion was around before she gave up her life essence or whatever.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Away from the show, it's surprising how dark some of the pieces can be. 'Mirror Match' and 'Almost There' are both very energetic and sort of desperate, not something you'd see in a kid's show.

Also, this is great. Thanks for the link.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, I thought the fact that Lion's Mane-World consisted of items that pertained to both Rose and Greg was some proof that Steven's birth was unnatural. Like it was done in a mystical ritual that required items from both Rose and Greg to create something new.

I'm leaning towards thinking that her pregnancy more of an illusion than an actual biological thing. I'm pretty sure Gems (which, as has been established, are literally just magic rocks) can't reproduce any more than pebbles can. Maybe she wasn't really gestating as much as engineering some sort of hybrid.

Okay that sounded weird, I think I'm just gonna leave the subject be.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

thexerox123 posted:

I assumed the fact that the tape that she made was inside Lion's mane (along with other personal items) was a sign that Lion was around before she gave up her life essence or whatever.

Yeah, that's my thought too, and the lion seems to be more of rose's doting pet than actually rose, but the other gems did not know about lion and don't know what he is. There will probably be an answer, we're probably going to get more Rose content ahead now that she has both a presence and a voice to re use.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Huh, that Bismuth is vaguely triangle-shaped...

I feel like the flag very likely has some connection to this mural as well, specifically to the part depicting Rose standing in front of/with the smaller black figures against the other being.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

There will probably be an answer, we're probably going to get more Rose content ahead now that she has both a presence and a voice to re use.

We definitely are. From Rebecca Sugar's AMA:

quote:

Q: Will we get more insight on Rose and her role as one of the gems?
A: Yes you will! OH yes!

Q: Will there ever be an episode about how Greg and Rose met?
A: Yes there will be lots of Rose and Greg backstory!!! Get ready! It may or may not be like what you think!

Also, I just noticed this one:

quote:

Q: What's something non-spoilery you can tell us about Rose?
A: She is /much/ taller than Greg.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only thing Greg-related inside of Lion's mane was the Mr. Universe shirt, which is pretty obviously also one of Rose's keepsakes.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
The Gems don't know everything about Rose, I think. That's been hinted at a few times, like that algae/moss stuff that turned into flowers. The Gems knew Rose dicked around with stuff, but didn't care to know the details of her curiosities. They probably just saw it as, "Oh, you know Rose. It's just one of her little hobbies." So the fact they didn't know about Lion means nothing.

In my opinion.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

foxatee posted:

The Gems don't know everything about Rose, I think. That's been hinted at a few times, like that algae/moss stuff that turned into flowers. The Gems knew Rose dicked around with stuff, but didn't care to know the details of her curiosities. They probably just saw it as, "Oh, you know Rose. It's just one of her little hobbies." So the fact they didn't know about Lion means nothing.

In my opinion.

I figure they are more like hourly retail workers who don't really care, then had their manager taken away and all the worked dumped on them with no training.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TOILETLORD posted:

I figure they are more like hourly retail workers who don't really care, then had their manager taken away and all the worked dumped on them with no training.

I don't think this is a great metaphor, but I do like the mental image. It does work with Pearl just wanting to get off Earth and go home. She just wants off her drat shift already.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Literally a giant woman.
What would her fusion/s look like?

Also, Rose had her own flag, none of the other gems do. Was she some sort of gem royalty or something?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She was a leader.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Say Nothing posted:

Literally a giant woman.
What would her fusion/s look like?

Also, Rose had her own flag, none of the other gems do. Was she some sort of gem royalty or something?

Literally the size of her temple. Her trifusion would be something :stare:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you think they fused with the bismuth too once upon a time?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
http://fallentodarkness.tumblr.com/post/104464800592/come-together

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My god that was a beautiful episode.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IshmaelNemo
May 14, 2013
Seafaring magician.
Did anybody else think Rose's hair had a very similar shape to Lion's mane? We already know Rose and Lion are connected somehow, but I don't know if that means anything other than resemblance or if I'm just over-analyzing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Hey, maybe they have flags too. You just don't know. If you had your own flag would you run around flying it all the time like a jackass?

the answer is yes you would

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TwoPair posted:

Hey, maybe they have flags too. You just don't know. If you had your own flag would you run around flying it all the time like a jackass?

the answer is yes you would

If Amethyst had a flag she would never put it down. She would probably wear it as a cape.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it it's kind of depressing that because of his need for air Rose's secret sanctum is a place Steven can never really be.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Thinking about it it's kind of depressing that because of his need for air Rose's secret sanctum is a place Steven can never really be.

He could have just bubbled his head. Heck, that's what I thought he was going to do.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
I wonder if he actually needs air, or if his biological needs are an illusion that makes him more human than the rest of the gems. We haven't seen him get seriously injured, so like, if he broke an arm, could he go in his gem and heal like Pearl did? His age and physical form are already malleable, and he has bunch of his mother's powers, but how much gem is he? Will he be able to pass on his gemness to his children without sacrificing himself? Could he remain a given age indefinitely? Would fusing with Pearl cure her food aversion?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the gems have mentioned that he does in fact need air and stuff. He isn't all Gem and his human side does give him the needs of a human. They could be wrong about this but it would be an odd twist to have along the way.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Krampus Grewcock posted:

I wonder if he actually needs air, or if his biological needs are an illusion that makes him more human than the rest of the gems. We haven't seen him get seriously injured, so like, if he broke an arm, could he go in his gem and heal like Pearl did? His age and physical form are already malleable, and he has bunch of his mother's powers, but how much gem is he? Will he be able to pass on his gemness to his children without sacrificing himself? Could he remain a given age indefinitely? Would fusing with Pearl cure her food aversion?

You do realize that one of the main points of the episode was that Steven is a human being? All we have seen so far indicates that he is a just a human boy, albeit with Gem abilities.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If only he knew someone with experience in building vehicles capable of operating in a vacuum.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
It's very strange to me that, in Lion's mane, there is wind but no air.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, it doesn't seem like "no air" is the right way to describe it. Steven just said that he "can't breathe" while he's there -- as if he was just being smothered by Lion's mane. It's Weird Conceptual Magic Stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

So Math posted:

It's concerning how much Rose finds life on Earth a novelty. I guess that billions of creatures with individual worldviews would be different to a culture where you just turn people who act different than you into objects.

WARNING: DUMB THEORY

I'm starting to wonder if the entire ancient Gem society was super materialistic and/or utilitarian in the sense that everyone literally are considered assets or tools to be used for specific purposes. Sapient and lesser Gems can shape-shift into things, possibly against their individual will, to serve some function. This may even be seen in the alien flora and fauna that the gems brought with them Earth such as Rose's various weird plants. They're dangerous when left to grow out of control, but when cultivated into following some design they're harmless or even beneficial. Their planet or planets in their Golden Age might have been one giant network of organisms working in uniform harmony, with nothing really knowing death or maybe even misfortune as long as they stuck to the rules.

Meanwhile, here on earth almost every creature and situation seems to be the result of some greater accident or series of forces beyond our control. And in all this chaos, where most Gems like Pearl would find wasted efforts and stupidity, Rose would find beauty and worth beyond some justification of function or sense. Beyond, of course, things like humans needing to sleep and Gems seemingly having no idea why they would do these strange rituals.

axleblaze posted:

I think the gems have mentioned that he does in fact need air and stuff. He isn't all Gem and his human side does give him the needs of a human. They could be wrong about this but it would be an odd twist to have along the way.

Could him being more human be altered if he didn't want or believe himself to be as such? Like if his feelings went out of control specifically about that, could he start turning pink and stop needing to sleep or eat and other potentially permanent side effects if he doesn't snap out of the idea that he isn't human?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Could him being more human be altered if he didn't want or believe himself to be as such? Like if his feelings went out of control specifically about that, could he start turning pink and stop needing to sleep or eat and other potentially permanent side effects if he doesn't snap out of the idea that he isn't human?

The question I've got is: Could Steven regenerate like Pearl did in "Swordfighter", if he got stabbed or shanked or pierced or otherwise perforated?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing I really like about this show is how well it captures the sense of how when you're a kid you just accept everything and everyone without thinking too much, but as you grow you realize that your mom and dad and everyone had lives before you were born and deep histories and connections that you slowly figure out as you learn how big the world is and what your place in it is.

All the offhand mentions of weird stuff are just the smallest edge of this weird world that we can't see clearly because Steven is only just starting to grow enough to put the parts together.

It kind of seems a little contrary to the spirit of the show to obsessively try to put all the pieces together before it's time to do it. Just enjoy Steven's childhood before he grows enough to realize how difficult and tragic and dire everything is. Can't you see the gems and his dad are trying to keep some of that poo poo from him so he can have an ok youth? I like the show more when I can just be a little disturbed by a glimpse of something weird or dark that must go way deeper. The whole narrative just seems really precarious and fragile, like if Steven ever got a real sense of what was going on we'd see that it was all about to fall apart.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I figured if he found out about how his world was precariously on the edge of falling apart, he would just resolve to fix it and/or brute force a problem. Probably with a toy hammer in hand.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

There are a few more tidbits from Rebecca Sugar's AMA that are relevant to that:

quote:

Q: As Steven matures throughout the show, will he still keep his features like being optimistic, making puns, and loving everything?
A: Stevens optimism is going to be put to the testttttt!!!

Q: Are we ever gonna learn more about the gem wars and junk?
A: You'll learn more when Steven learns more... there are things you don't tell a kid his age...

Q: How deep does Steven's story go?
A: Steven's story goes REALLY deep- there is a lot about himself that he does not know. Get ready!!!

Q: Are you going to do more with the larger world? I don't mean 'world' literally, but I've always wanted to see more about the underpinnings of the universe.
A: Yes. The larger world is there, even now-- the show is from Steven's point of view, and you may have already noticed more than he has. There are things going on that the Gems don't feel Steven can handle. That is gonna change. It's going to have to change. GET READY

Q: In the shows future, are we ever going to see Steven as a more developed gem, as teenager or young adult?
A: Yes! He's developing all the time, in real time...

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

e X posted:

You do realize that one of the main points of the episode was that Steven is a human being? All we have seen so far indicates that he is a just a human boy, albeit with Gem abilities.

And haven't you seen Blade Runner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

There are a few more tidbits from Rebecca Sugar's AMA that are relevant to that:

I hope they can hit some different beats than Finn over on Adventure Time with having Steven grow up. His optimism seems like his most important and distinctive feature by far.

• Locked thread