Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If people wanna kill movie characters... Let them? You don't have to follow canon. Like, the second you start GMing, canon is no longer what this is. If you play a Rebels era game and bam, your people kill Vader before the movies even start, then they do. Why obsess with punishing your players for wanting to not stick to the movie canon? Maybe the storm troopers caught R2 and C3P0 and Luke never got the call, so Dick McAce is the one who blows up the death star.

What does this ruin? Why is this a bad thing?

I mean yeah Vader won't be an easy Kill they go for right at the beginning, but if they go through and become stronger and make plans to kill the right hand of the empire, or even the Emperor himself... Why not let them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

KittyEmpress posted:

If people wanna kill movie characters... Let them? You don't have to follow canon. Like, the second you start GMing, canon is no longer what this is. If you play a Rebels era game and bam, your people kill Vader before the movies even start, then they do. Why obsess with punishing your players for wanting to not stick to the movie canon? Maybe the storm troopers caught R2 and C3P0 and Luke never got the call, so Dick McAce is the one who blows up the death star.

I mean yeah Vader won't be an easy Kill they go for right at the beginning, but if they go through and become stronger and make plans to kill the right hand of the empire, or even the Emperor himself... Why not let them?

It's not so much about sticking to canon as it is to establishing that there are things out there that can mess them up baaad. I don't mean I want it to be Dark Souls-difficult, but I do feel like there are certain elements that should stir up feelings of dread and anxiety. If those things are messed up? It's like I lose my group right there.

It'd be like if Cthulhu were beat-able. Then you'd get a group of cocky players who weren't afraid of anything. If they beat Vader, and I mean OBVIOUSLY beat not just hold their own until he gets bored and wanders off, then they're no longer dealing with Darth Vader in their minds- it's Chad Vader.

Of course, this is all assuming they don't get their asses handed to them by a squad of Stormtroopers. If that happens, no way in hell are they going to want to tangle with Vader's squad, let alone the Sith lord himself.

But beyond ANY of that, my main point is that I don't want the stats to even be out there to suggest to any of my players that they COULD beat Vader. I don't want to have to deal with them going after him.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking at attempts to stat the movie heroes in previous systems, they just get kind of ridiculous looking with all the multi-classing and what not.

I think not stating them in this system is kind of an implicit acknowledgement that they're not really statable in this system, and I think that's OK, because I don't think that's what the system is meant for.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

If I'm running a street-level game, I might not want Darth Vader involved at all. Like, it's dumb to hold onto canon for its own sake, but if you don't want a campaign that escalates in that way, that's a valid reason not to let them go punch every Moff in the junk or whatever stupid thing the stupid players want. Every player has a right to say "this is not the kind of campaign I'm interested in playing in", including the GM.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
'Look Sharp' players, maybe don't read the spoiler (though I guess it's not a huge spoiler at this point):

So my players may be coming up against a Gladiator Star Destroyer soon. Anyone know where I can find game stats for one? I mean I read the Wookipedia article on it, but even there the equipment and weapon loadout seemed confused and inconsistent. Thanks :) !

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

homullus posted:

If I'm running a street-level game, I might not want Darth Vader involved at all. Like, it's dumb to hold onto canon for its own sake, but if you don't want a campaign that escalates in that way, that's a valid reason not to let them go punch every Moff in the junk or whatever stupid thing the stupid players want. Every player has a right to say "this is not the kind of campaign I'm interested in playing in", including the GM.

And that's fine, but saying 'my players should instantly die if they get near Vader and never get it in their mind that he can be beaten' is silly. Discuss with your players what mind of game they want and you want. If they want to punch Vader out eventually, and you don't, then work it out as people, not by punishing your players if they try it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Yes this is clearly an issue that should be communicated outside of the game and not resolved through in game action. If you don't want your players to kill Darth Vader, discuss it with them. Then it won't matter if his stats are published or not.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

And that's fine, but saying 'my players should instantly die if they get near Vader and never get it in their mind that he can be beaten' is silly. Discuss with your players what mind of game they want and you want. If they want to punch Vader out eventually, and you don't, then work it out as people, not by punishing your players if they try it.

Well, to be fair I never stated they'd instantly die. I just wanted him to a force to be feared and evaded, not some kind of mid-boss that can easily be smacked down. And the best way to keep that air of mystery is for him not to have a soak, wound threshold, or Force rating. I don't want him to be a series of numbers that can be taken advantage of. And if there are no published stats, then there aren't any ideas of "Well, we only need to get this much EXP to minmax our characters and beat him..."

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 12, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I want to do something crazy.

I want to run an Episode VI-VII Roll 20 game. Non movie characters.

Thoughts?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

FuriousAngle posted:

It's not so much about sticking to canon as it is to establishing that there are things out there that can mess them up baaad. I don't mean I want it to be Dark Souls-difficult, but I do feel like there are certain elements that should stir up feelings of dread and anxiety. If those things are messed up? It's like I lose my group right there.

Ironic that you bring up a game where you can kill anyone given enough leveling and/or skill as a defense for not being able to kill anyone in a game even if given enough experience, planning or luck. If your players want to try to kill a major canon character let them try but make it appropriately difficult and warn them that it will be a near impossible task.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Rannos22 posted:

Ironic that you bring up a game where you can kill anyone given enough leveling and/or skill as a defense for not being able to kill anyone in a game even if given enough experience, planning or luck. If your players want to try to kill a major canon character let them try but make it appropriately difficult and warn them that it will be a near impossible task.

Yeah I think that you're right in this. It's all about good communication. If my players want to try and kill Darth Vader with no preparation they will be notified that this is a death sentence. If they try it anyway then I guess we're rolling new characters next session :suicide:

Of course, if they prepare for a bunch of sessions an elaborate plan to eliminate him then that sounds awesome.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

I'd be up for any roll20 game, but europe time zone kinda gets in the way. The Episode VI-VII universe is so hazy you could fit pretty much anything in there and it would match the plot as of VII, so alot of scope for adventure. Always more money to make when theres chaos and something is collapsing than when its strong, aswell.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What the players are telling me when they attack Darth Vader, is that they want the next couple of sessions to be about their daring escape from captivity on The Death Star/Super Star Destroyer/Cloud City.

"We would be honored if you would join us."

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 12, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd consider Vader to be Limper-esque from The Black Company. Yeah, if you're really good and really sneaky and the stars align and you completely blindside him then yeah, you can walk away thinking you've killed him. :getin:

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

I don't see why not. Post-Endor is also a fine setting. It'd be a cool game.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He doesn't even need to be unbeatable. The only time he isn't surrounded by storm troopers is when he specifically goes out of his way to deal with things alone. He basically has an endless amount of minions at his beck and call. It's like trying to assassinate the head of a powerful state who also happens to be one of the greatest Kung Fu masters who ever lived.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

Why is this crazy. Sounds great to me

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

When can I sign up?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wanna take over my time slot Fuzz? I can fill in when you're working, or we can work out some sort of one on one off GM dealie.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 12, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

"General, count me in."

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

Depending on the time, I could be interested.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Wanna take over my time slot Fuzz? I can fill in when you're working, or we can work out some sort of one on one off GM dealie.

This sounds like a cunning plan.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Fuzz posted:

This sounds like a cunning plan.

Gods this sounds fun. Will there be signups posted?

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

Will there be any possibility to observe? I'd love to see first-hand how the game runs but wouldn't want to ask to take up one of the available slots.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

FuriousAngle posted:

It'd be like if Cthulhu were beat-able. Then you'd get a group of cocky players who weren't afraid of anything. If they beat Vader, and I mean OBVIOUSLY beat not just hold their own until he gets bored and wanders off, then they're no longer dealing with Darth Vader in their minds- it's Chad Vader.

Actually, it just means you got Old Man Henderson to do something completely crazy and awesome.

But yeah, if I recall correctly, once you reach around ~10 contribution rank, you should be meriting the attention of Lord Vader and Palpy himself in terms of being that effective of an asset to the Rebellion and start getting scared when that new Imperial vessel chasing your fleet is the Executor.

Anyone else imagine a fight with Palpy being something akin to the X-men fighting Magneto in Wolverine and the X-Men when they went to his fortress in Genosha?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also Cthulhu is beatable. His weakness is sailboats.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

susan posted:

I concur. I'm down for this wherever it turns up. I've always wanted to try Roll20.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

susan posted:

I'd also be interested, my local groups have dried up and I've got lots of time for gaming.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Same, also euro time zones work better for me anyways.

Maybe there's enough interest to try to get two groups going?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It definitely sounds that way. Just need another GM to volunteer as tribute.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well it was that of fun my idea for the alternate prequel trilogy, but that's less interesting.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
We got back into our post-Order 66 campaign last night after a break over Christmas and ran into our Nemesis, an inquisitor, for the first time while exploring an abandoned Jedi Temple.

In one round he got bitch-slapped by the Shadow hiding an anaesthetic needle in her hand, cut up a bunch and had his lightsaber stolen by an unbelievably lucky roll on Force Pull before be dropped a stun grenade and ran like a chump.

We're all playing teenage Padawans.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

We got back into our post-Order 66 campaign last night after a break over Christmas and ran into our Nemesis, an inquisitor, for the first time while exploring an abandoned Jedi Temple.

In one round he got bitch-slapped by the Shadow hiding an anaesthetic needle in her hand, cut up a bunch and had his lightsaber stolen by an unbelievably lucky roll on Force Pull before be dropped a stun grenade and ran like a chump.

We're all playing teenage Padawans.

This actually sounds pretty in line with the competence displayed by inquisitors in Rebels, especially considering he was fighting four actual padawans rather than one padawan and his apprentice, which EOTE would probably call a force-sensitive exile.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Another Euro TZ dude checking in. These days unfortunately I don't have time to GM a proper live game, but I'd love to get in on a weekend (Sat/Sun) EU roll20 game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So I'm a non-combat character but we keep getting into fights. How much of a mistake is it to spend XP on non-career combat skills?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Corbeau posted:

So I'm a non-combat character but we keep getting into fights. How much of a mistake is it to spend XP on non-career combat skills?

If you want to buy lots of combat skills, it’s worth getting the Recruit universal specialization for 20 XP, which can give you lots of combat skills as career skills.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It would be my third specialization though. That's 30 XP. Already a Trader and Force Sensitive Exile.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corbeau posted:

It would be my third specialization though. That's 30 XP. Already a Trader and Force Sensitive Exile.

That's like two sessions' worth of XP, which could be not much or a lot of time, depending on your campaign schedule. You could also make for your nearest Dedication talent for +1 Agility and all the help that would give you in fights, but 30XP likely won't get you there.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Corbeau posted:

Is your GM providing opportunities to short-circuit combat encounters and turn them into social encounters? Or maybe there is some other way to use your non-combat skills to help avoid all these fights?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Also as a social character, try helping the party by cheering them on and giving them blue dice, hacking any data ports to close blast doors, offer spice to the closest NPC that will help you out and shoot the other guys, try to talk down the others from shooting.

Really unless your party is just made of murder hobos, then you should have lots of opportunities to do stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The idea I had for the Post RotJ game was a band of characters taking odd jobs around the Galaxy to begin with, but with certain characters needing to have certain (very) rough archetypes and aspects to their backstories to link to the narrative. I don't want to say more because it would spoil the movie.