Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So why are berserkers supposed to be scary in this game? In EU they got an auto move whenever you shot them and in multiplayer could use bull rush, an insanely strong move. In this game they don't have either of those abilities. They just seem to be a wall of meat that gets mowed down with relative ease. Their damage also seems really weak compared to the near guaranteed death to any unit they caught in EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Change these to
code:
eCPSM_PoolOnly
to exhaust your character pool before randomly generating rookies. (For the initial intake and mission rewards respectively.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woof, some non-Beagle streamer failed the tutorial by overwatch-creeping his troops while in concealment as a timer was counting down to get a bomb disabled. Wasted way too many precious turns trying to wipe out aliens instead of moving his guys close to the bomb to turn it off.

If there's one thing the game needs to hammer into rookie players, it's that Get to the Objective missions mean get to the loving objective.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What does Hunt XCOM dark event really do?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Woof, some non-Beagle streamer failed the tutorial by overwatch-creeping his troops while in concealment as a timer was counting down to get a bomb disabled. Wasted way too many precious turns trying to wipe out aliens instead of moving his guys close to the bomb to turn it off.

If there's one thing the game needs to hammer into rookie players, it's that Get to the Objective missions mean get to the loving objective.
Nah, it's funny as hell watching all these overwatch creepers getting their knickers in a twist when they are faced with an actual timer.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SinineSiil posted:

What does Hunt XCOM dark event really do?

Avenger defense. Your troops defend the loading ramp of the Avenger and have to push back the enemy far enough to destroy a transmitter, then retreat.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

Nah, it's funny as hell watching all these overwatch creepers getting their knickers in a twist when they are faced with an actual timer.
Not like we've not dealt with timers before on Bomb Missions

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i have installed this video game, now i wish to play this video game, but i cannot for several hours.

living is misery.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Robzilla posted:

The timer wasn't the hard part most of the time, it was being in a position to not be murdered by the thin man rain that occurs after turning off the bomb.

Oh 8 thin men falling out of the sky in random positions with all my soldiers wasting their overwatch on the first one? Yeah that's fair :shepicide:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like Workshop tags

That should cover pretty much everything.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is there not a way to tell if you can fire at an alien before moving to a specific spot? I just had the most ridiculous LOS bug where a guy hiding behind a tree can't shoot someone 3 squares away because reasons:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Robzilla posted:

Those kind of missions were quite a minority in EU, now that they are far more numerous there seems to be a lot of people making GBS threads themselves since they can't spend 25+ turns on creeping slowly across the map.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm in. :)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Holy poo poo loving Lancers

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is anyone else having trouble getting the digital soundtrack to download?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kiranamos posted:

Is there not a way to tell if you can fire at an alien before moving to a specific spot? I just had the most ridiculous LOS bug where a guy hiding behind a tree can't shoot someone 3 squares away because reasons:

Yes there is. You see that cross-hairs symbol to the left of enemy hp bar? That shows whether you are going to be able to see that unit from the location you are pointing your cursor at.

In that case, that tree between you and him is blocking your sight. Hardly a LOS bug.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's now 23.01 guys, why can I not get into X-com in the UK, I thought the sheet said we'd have access to it by now!

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

It's now 23.01 guys, why can I not get into X-com in the UK, I thought the sheet said we'd have access to it by now!

Restart Steam. It's unlocking for me now :woop:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I have, but its not doing anything!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
How the hell can unpacking the drat game take 51 minutes?

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
I'm in the same boat! UK steam login but no unlock yet.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oxford_town posted:

I'm in the same boat! UK steam login but no unlock yet.

Waaaaaah, I wanna plaaaaaaaaay.

(It's not unlocking for me either)

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And now there is an extra 1.4 gb download. :negative:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Fuzz posted:

What VPN are you guys using? I've never done this befopre and the YouTube vids all link to really sketchy looking Russian sites.

I'm using the F-secure Freedome 14-day trial. It seems OK? But I can't stream jamball while it's unpacking :(.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sylphosaurus posted:

How the hell can unpacking the drat game take 51 minutes?

Mine is 2 hours and 35, so consider yourself lucky. And this is on a 7200rpm HDD that's pretty fast normally. :smith:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i tried to use freedome to unpack that, but it wasn't working and i decided not to bother and just wait

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How are those mods the Long War guys cooked up?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, phantom scout + mag weapons = flawless victory.

The LOS is very useful for when you can see enemies with phantom, since you can move the squad up to where the enemies can't see them and get the drop.

God this game is so good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think we may have been mislead and it's going to be 12.01 fellow UK goons.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Waaaaaah, I wanna plaaaaaaaaay.

(It's not unlocking for me either)

ooh. it just unlocked now

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
unpacking is so loving slooooooow

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

oxford_town posted:

ooh. it just unlocked now

Yessssssss

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kennel posted:

Are the mod tools available right off the bat?

Yeah, it's in the tools section of your Steam library. I'm downloading it now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Yessssssss

Not an empty quote.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For those playing it, I know the quick twist about EU.

Outside of that, do they dwell on EU's plot at all? Or is it basically handwaved off because of the twist. I have REALLY BAD OCD about playing games in order, but stuff like Far Cry can usually slip through, because they are so tenuously connected. Would be nice to hear if they basically start 2 by saying hey yeah, literally all of the events of EU never happened, the whole thing was in your head after your capture.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Josef bugman posted:

Not an empty quote.

just empty quote friend there is no shame in the snake tits thread

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
bah, after the update and unpacking it'll be too late. Sod it, I'll just set my clock extra early.

God speed goons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm probably going to customize them majorly around class with minor specialization differences. Like:

Rangers will have bandannas on both head and mouth.
Assault-Rangers will have red bandannas while Scout-Rangers will have black ones.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So have any of the wonderful folks collecting goon characters got a download link up yet? I am super excited to get you all killed over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rookersh posted:

For those playing it, I know the quick twist about EU.

Outside of that, do they dwell on EU's plot at all? Or is it basically handwaved off because of the twist. I have REALLY BAD OCD about playing games in order, but stuff like Far Cry can usually slip through, because they are so tenuously connected. Would be nice to hear if they basically start 2 by saying hey yeah, literally all of the events of EU never happened, the whole thing was in your head after your capture.

they explain it a bit after your first few missions, iirc

basically the entire first game was just a simulation your character was running forever after being captured by the aliens