Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

MrAristocrates posted:

I think it looks really really tryhard

The Joker as a character is very "tryhard". This is the character that cut his own face off after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Does anybody want a Silver Sable movie? Is there really an audience screaming for that to happen? Do any Spider-Man characters really need a spin-off film? Venom, Sinister Six, Silver Sable; I just don't see a reason for those to exist.

Throwdown posted:

The Joker as a character is very "tryhard". This is the character that cut his own face off after all.

That happened, but nobody really liked it. So in a universe that could be complete separate from the comics interpretation of the character, why proceed to make the character a tryhard again in a different way?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

Does anybody want a Silver Sable movie? Is there really an audience screaming for that to happen? Do any Spider-Man characters really need a spin-off film? Venom, Sinister Six, Silver Sable; I just don't see a reason for those to exist.

That happened, but nobody really liked it. So in a universe that could be complete separate from the comics interpretation of the character, why proceed to make the character a tryhard again in a different way?

Isn't Heath Ledgers every mainstream favorite and probably did it to himself?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

After GotG I don't know if that matters as much as it once did.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

Isn't Heath Ledgers every mainstream favorite and probably did it to himself?

It's possible he cut his face. He never cut it OFF.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

After GotG I don't know if that matters as much as it once did.

Fair point, I really should learn to #GiveMarvelAChance. They managed to prove me wrong twice with Guardians and Jessica Jones.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

Fair point, I really should learn to #GiveMarvelAChance. They managed to prove me wrong twice with Guardians and Jessica Jones.

Wait, the Joker sideshow bobbed himself?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SonicRulez posted:

The Silver Sable movie and other non-spidey properties are going to be done by Sony.

Pretty fair to set expectations as low as you can.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's Sony doing the weird movie, not Marvel. If Marvel was doing it I'd chuckle and say "sure, why not" because they've built up a lot of good will. I haven't liked a Sony comic movie since Spider-Man 2 with Doc Ock.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

greatn posted:

Wait, the Joker sideshow bobbed himself?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really think faces work that way. And that was pointless anyway because the next time Joker appears its to break into police evidence and steal his face back, then wear it strapped to his head for a single storyline, after which I guess it grew back.

And somehow Joker's Daughter found it in a sewer and is wearing it too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Silver Sable makes more sense than that Aunt May movie they allegedly were doing earlier, but even if you want a female lead Sony movie, other than using Spider-Woman/Gwen/Silk, at the very least Black Cat is a character I'd imagine non-comics-readers have a better chance of recognizing. I'd still say a Black Cat movie would be a terrible idea, but at least one where I can see where the idea came from.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Would Silver Sable work as a vs Sandman + Black Cat as Kingpin?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, as Sony starts making Spidey films again, how will they fit into the MCU? Will they be sort of "in it but not of it" like the Netflix shows and to an extent AoS?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I don't really think faces work that way. And that was pointless anyway because the next time Joker appears its to break into police evidence and steal his face back, then wear it strapped to his head for a single storyline, after which I guess it grew back.

Hey, we have an explanation for that now. Clearly MULTIPLE jokers cut their faces off.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, we have an explanation for that now. Clearly MULTIPLE jokers cut their faces off.

That explains why Joker's Daughter had a little mustache on the face she was wearing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, it's a bit much but that's pretty good art I think.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Silver Sable movie and other non-spidey properties are going to be done by Sony.

Pretty fair to set expectations as low as you can.

Oh. Well into the fuckin trash it goes then. Even though I'm a weirdo and I thought Amazing 2 wasn't that bad.

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, as Sony starts making Spidey films again, how will they fit into the MCU? Will they be sort of "in it but not of it" like the Netflix shows and to an extent AoS?

I hope not. In or out. As much as I love the Netflix shows, it kinda bothers me how they're only dipping a toe in. Jessica says "The green guy or the flag bearer" instead of just saying Captain America. A post 9/11 American society would turn Cap into the biggest war hero ever. Like he would easily be the most popular Avenger. Just say Thor, drat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nothing is official, but from what the President of Sony's film division has said, Spiderman will be part of the MCU, but everything else that does not star Spiderman will be a separate thing that acknowledges Spiderman, but not the MCU.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Travis343 posted:

The Joker had access to Wonderflonium which made him immortal. Only maybe it was a gag to mindfuck Batman. Or maybe he was just an evil demon haunting Gotham.

In any event he gets a lovely undercut to go along with his slashface.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hmm we have access to Silk and Spider-Woman and Spider-Girl (Anya), better do a loving Silver loving Sable movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nothing is official, but from what the President of Sony's film division has said, Spiderman will be part of the MCU, but everything else that does not star Spiderman will be a separate thing that acknowledges Spiderman, but not the MCU.

And that's why it's something like Silver Sable and not Venom.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Was Silver Sable ever a thing? Like did people ever care about her? I know people care about Black Cat but I cannot ever remember anyone acknowledging the existence of Silver Sable except for about three episodes of the 90s cartoon
Really she is pretty much a dime store Black Widow knockoff, so I guess she has that going for her.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Someone should really investigate the Sony headquarters for like, a gas leak or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Was Silver Sable ever a thing? Like did people ever care about her? I know people care about Black Cat but I cannot ever remember anyone acknowledging the existence of Silver Sable except for about three episodes of the 90s cartoon
Really she is pretty much a dime store Black Widow knockoff, so I guess she has that going for her.

Silver Sable is nothing like Black Widow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Silver Sable is nothing like Black Widow.

All I remember about her is that she is a vaguely eastern European spy/mercenary. Also she dressed in white instead of black.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She leads a team of world-renowned mercenaries, right? They're sort of like bounty hunters? They're not really spies at all, I don't think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Harle is extremely popular among young women. I've heard many reasons for this; she's cute and sexy but also tough, she is independent and does her own thing ( guessed they missed her being Joker's abused girlfriend for years?), she is the only women who caught the eye of someone like the joker and others.

There's a reason that Harle has been unhitched from the Joker lately, because the character herself is popular enough without her being tied to the Joker, and you can sell tights with the harle diamonds on them, hats that combine Batman and the diamonds that can be paired with their tattoos. One friend said that its the combination of hot and tough that makes young women idolize her.

I guess there's a demand by young women for characters like that?

I'd say that ASM2 is pretty decent when its not trying to set up future movies. There's probably something about a character like Silver Sable that Sony sees that they can do a more generic action movie with, rather than doing a film about a powered person or one with a complex relationship with Spider-Man. Though I didn't think Spider-Woman, Drew or Carpenter had anything really to do with Spider-Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) owned by Sony due to her name forcing her under the Spider-Man umbrella of characters? Because I think of her as an Avengers character first and foremost, who ought to belong with Marvel Studios.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) owned by Sony due to her name forcing her under the Spider-Man umbrella of characters? Because I think of her as an Avengers character first and foremost, who ought to belong with Marvel Studios.

No, she has nothing to do with Spider-Man.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Silver Sale and the Wild Pack as a multi ethnic team of Nazi Hunters/ Mercenaries is a property that at least has promise.
Like you could do a cool story with them.

It's not the best use of the Spider IP, but it's not some crazy awful idea like making a Big Wheel solo film or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have to admit I don't really understand the appeal of Harley Quinn. I guess I'm just the wrong audience for her. :shrug:

I like Harley Quinn, but not this modern version that has very little in common with the character from the animated series I grew up liking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I guess that's the thing - to me she's always just been a supporting character from the cartoon. I guess it's because I'm not really a huge Batman guy, but I've never really thought of Harley Quinn as an integral part of the Batman cast. I guess I'm just terribly out of touch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I guess that's the thing - to me she's always just been a supporting character from the cartoon. I guess it's because I'm not really a huge Batman guy, but I've never really thought of Harley Quinn as an integral part of the Batman cast. I guess I'm just terribly out of touch.

She's really not. She's extremely popular now and more or less her own thing. The only other character selling as well as Harley is Batman himself so they really can't have Batman trying to lock her up. She's barely been in the actual Batman comics at all since the reboot. In Batman she's a second banana at best, on her own she can float like three comics a month.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I guess you could say this Joker was crawling in his skin

I'll let myself out

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Did that serial killer guy atleast give Joker some kind of mask or replacement face because like he can't even blink anymore and must be bleeding all over the place

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Did that serial killer guy atleast give Joker some kind of mask or replacement face because like he can't even blink anymore and must be bleeding all over the place

The Dollmaker cut the face off at Joker's request.

Then the Joker shows up in Death of the Family (about a year both real-world and in-universe time later) with the face awkwardly bungeed to his face, thereby totally invalidating the whole thematic reason that a character would cut their face off design-wise.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Has the charecter Joker's Daughter ever actually met the Joker? That had to be awkward

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You'd do best to just forget there ever was a character named Joker's Daughter. Also, she's actually Two-Face's daughter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

You'd do best to just forget there ever was a character named Joker's Daughter. Also, she's actually Two-Face's daughter.

Two face is the father. Joker is the mother. Since two face has two faces and the Joker has no faces, that explains why she has one face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

greatn posted:

Two face is the father. Joker is the mother. Since two face has two faces and the Joker has no faces, that explains why she has one face.

• Locked thread