Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The clock intro for Dr.Who isn't very good. It's quite a step down from seasons past. Capaldi is a very good Doctor cursed with not very good scripts though his 2nd season was way better than his 1st. The best ones are when he has Michelle Gomez to play off of. Still way better than Voyager. Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I posted this in some other thread a while back, but there is a German SF series from the 60s that is a lot like Trek.
Raumpatrouille
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJI4J92Btis
Despite (or maybe because of) it being in Black and White, it has some extremely cool sets and effects.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If I were a Borg, instead of a cube I'd fly around in an enormous pyramid, and instead of assimilating other planets I'd park in low orbit and blast the music of Afrika Bambaataa at them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Automatic Slim posted:

The clock intro for Dr.Who isn't very good. It's quite a step down from seasons past. Capaldi is a very good Doctor cursed with not very good scripts though his 2nd season was way better than his 1st. The best ones are when he has Michelle Gomez to play off of. Still way better than Voyager. Mostly.

I swear this is my last Doctor who post, but yeah, Michelle Gomez is the only other good thing about Capaldi's seasons. I absolutely unashamedly love her as The Master, even when she's in a garbage episode.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Tectonis posted:

The Torchwood - Doctor Who anagram didn't tip you off?
:goonsay:

netflix said it was a cool scifi show I didnt look for anagrams, but thank you for making me feel additionally retarded in retrospect

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Just saw the first episode of Enterprise and I'm pretty sure I'd watch any Voyager episode over this poo poo.

- Archer is literally GW Bush in Space, with the Vulcans as his UN. Hate this rear end in a top hat

- Hate Trip He's like somebody took a Dukes of Hazzard character and put him on Trek. Surprised the Enterprise doesn't have a Confederate Flag painted on it., flying in at Warp 5 all "Heritage, Not Hate!!!"

- "It's the future, yet somehow also still the 1950s, don't worry about it"

- I kinda like the rear end in a top hat Vulcans

- Other than Hoshi and the aliens, all the supporting characters are bland as hell. "The Stuffy British Guy!", "The Black Guy!", "Cheerleader!", "The Ugly One!"

- Phlox is completely trolling Archer at every turn. Much approved.

- Paramount exec: "We need to introduce a complicated time-travel arc in Episode 1! That'll bring in the casual viewer!"

- "Also, each episode should have a scene where they strip down to their undies and rub each other down with cocoa butter. That's my fetish; make it work!"

- AND.... they've already brought in the start of their dumb explanation for "Why TOS Klingons have no forehead ridges", despite the fact that "they couldn't manage that on a 1960's TV budget" was a perfectly acceptable answer

VOYAGER... still better than this

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I posted this in some other thread a while back, but there is a German SF series from the 60s that is a lot like Trek.
Raumpatrouille
Despite (or maybe because of) it being in Black and White, it has some extremely cool sets and effects.

That's actually not terrible. It's interesting viewing. Thanks for pasting.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

JediTalentAgent posted:

Raumpatrouille

Don't lie, this is popular german television from 2014 and you know it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

Three different people have tried to get me to watch Dr. Who, and each one showed me their idea of "a great episode that will get you hooked". They were all bad, and two of the episodes had that doctor that looks like Odo's ugly younger brother.

I like some of the David Tennet stuff, and good old Tom Baker. But the rest isn't that good.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Dr who is no good, bad.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Squizzle posted:

If I were a Borg, instead of a cube I'd fly around in an enormous pyramid, and instead of assimilating other planets I'd park in low orbit and blast the music of Afrika Bambaataa at them.

I would use the time traveling Borg sphere and get some music from Earth's past, then blast it all over M-class planets. That way when Starfleet starts exploring, they keep running into planets that have religious chants that the computer immediately recognizes as Korn.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

I would use the time traveling Borg sphere and get some music from Earth's past, then blast it all over M-class planets. That way when Starfleet starts exploring, they keep running into planets that have religious chants that the computer immediately recognizes as Korn.

Same but I'd only use David Wilcox's "Layin' Pipe"

"Sir the computer has finished analysis the entire EM spectrum and has only found a single congruence indicating a pre-warp civilization could be in this system"
"Congruence Ensign?"
"Its 'Layin' Pipe', Captain"
"What, again?"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why are the ENT Vulcans all "you're not advanced enough to understand our cool space suits, build your own" when their cutoff for interfering with other species is warp? Didn't they basically rebuild Earth after The Coch got their attention in First Contact?

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Squizzle posted:

Some straight up Goa'uld poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Volcott posted:

Why are the ENT Vulcans all "you're not advanced enough to understand our cool space suits, build your own" when their cutoff for interfering with other species is warp? Didn't they basically rebuild Earth after The Coch got their attention in First Contact?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eventually end up loving his captain while they're both salamanders.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Tectonis posted:

The Torchwood - Doctor Who anagram didn't tip you off?
:goonsay:

WHAT

HOW THE gently caress DID I NEVER NOTICE THIS

anyway the last episode of Voyager I watched was the one where the ship gets a message from someone they've never met going CHAKOTAY I'M CORN DOGGING FOR YOU MAN and he's all 'whaaaat' and he spends the next 45 minutes feelin' conflicted about not remembering falling in love with someone until they finally mack and he's all 'yeah space mackin' in on this poo poo' and then someone turns up with a memory erasing laser and she goes away

apparently there was some kind of virus??? that deleted their computer records and also deleted their memories??? but then the episode ends with Chakotay writing it down on paper, but if he was smart enough to do that, why didn't he do it the first time, and also why didn't anyone notice a two week gap in their computer's memory where apparently nothing happened despite them being able to prove that time had infact passed two weeks longer than their computer registers? i mean they're travelling towards a set target, why didn't anyone notice that they were mysteriously two weeks closer to their target for no good reason. also how did this species who were able to erase memories because they didn't want anyone leaving and remember their home planet develop the technology to wipe the minds of species they'd never seen in their sector like Humans and Vulcans, especially if only like 2-3 dudes are allowed to leave their world every year for the purpose of bringing a dude back????

also Stargate was decent. better than Andromeda, which started off 'eh' and ended up 'ehhhhhhhhhhhh'

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I used to watch stargate as a kid and remembered it as a fun goofy show, so I tried a rewatch from the start and did not expect full frontal nudity and alien worm rape in the first episode

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Some straight up Goa'uld poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvBp4cbqs8

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

shadow puppet of a posted:

Same but I'd only use David Wilcox's "Layin' Pipe"

"Sir the computer has finished analysis the entire EM spectrum and has only found a single congruence indicating a pre-warp civilization could be in this system"
"Congruence Ensign?"
"Its 'Layin' Pipe', Captain"
"What, again?"

I unironically love you now!

Now post him in his "Cum Cage".

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Matt Smith was a really good Doctor who, again, was completely let down by garbage scripts and lovely showrunning. David Tennant was garbage, and that's why tumblr loves him. Eccleston was ok.

STAR TREK: VOYAGER

It's really weird to see someone express the correct opinion about that show and not get dog piled on. I used to post things like this 3-4 years ago when I watched that show and would get absolutely lynched in TVIV. I think I even ate a few AATrek probations for failing to appreciate the "genius" of Stephen Moffat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That's because TV IV is loving terrible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ANd I guess AAtrek too.

But mostly TVIV

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blistex posted:

Now post him in his "Cum Cage".

You need to stop making the exact same reply to everything I post in GBS.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

It was Romulan spies. Seriously.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Matt Smith was a really good Doctor who, again, was completely let down by garbage scripts and lovely showrunning. David Tennant was garbage, and that's why tumblr loves him. Eccleston was ok.

STAR TREK: VOYAGER

I watched all of Eccleston and some of Tennant because people said I really should, and I thought the show was completely godawful. It was extremely cheap, stupid, juvenile and had painfully unfunny "lol random monkey cheese" humor.

I don't hate cheesy things. I love Star Trek TOS, bad cheesy Godzilla movies and so on. I also don't hate British things. I like James Bond (cheesy Sean Connery Bond is the best), Top Gear, the Hitchhiker's guide books and I even watched some Red Dwarf and liked that okay. But something about Dr. Who is just completely anathema to me.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I watched all of Eccleston and some of Tennant because people said I really should, and I thought the show was completely godawful. It was extremely cheap, stupid, juvenile and had painfully unfunny "lol random monkey cheese" humor.

I don't hate cheesy things. I love Star Trek TOS, bad cheesy Godzilla movies and so on. I also don't hate British things. I like James Bond (cheesy Sean Connery Bond is the best), Top Gear, the Hitchhiker's guide books and I even watched some Red Dwarf and liked that okay. But something about Dr. Who is just completely anathema to me.
I second that. It is especially mind-boggling when people make these grand statements about how this mediocre children's show has changed their way of seeing life, the universe and everything.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not trying to annoy you with this idea but you might enjoy the old version much more. It's far less up its own rear end in a top hat and the stories have a more expansive imagination. I mean you were watching the shallow reboot of a genuinely fun show.

On the other hand there's a ridiculous abundance of quality entertainment these days so like definitely don't put off finally watching Deadwood or True Detective to watch old doctor who.

Edit: Douglas Adams wrote a couple of them and I'd wholeheartedly recommend watching his first one, the Pirate Planet, as a good sample of what the show is at its best.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 22, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm not trying to annoy you with this idea but you might enjoy the old version much more. It's far less up its own rear end in a top hat and the stories have a more expansive imagination. I mean you were watching the shallow reboot of a genuinely fun show.

On the other hand there's a ridiculous abundance of quality entertainment these days so like definitely don't put off finally watching Deadwood or True Detective to watch old doctor who.

Honestly, I probably would.

I like old Battlestar Galatica better than the one one. Old Battlestar is a cheap, stupid Star Wars knockoff, new Battlestar is just boring and drab.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Simian_Prime posted:

- AND.... they've already brought in the start of their dumb explanation for "Why TOS Klingons have no forehead ridges", despite the fact that "they couldn't manage that on a 1960's TV budget" was a perfectly acceptable answer

It retroactively ruins the scene in TNG during the time travel episode where they're on the TOS sets and a TOS episode is happening where Worf is like "we do not like to talk about it" and they leave it at that

thanks Enterprise

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

It retroactively ruins the scene in TNG during the time travel episode where they're on the TOS sets and a TOS episode is happening where Worf is like "we do not like to talk about it" and they leave it at that

thanks Enterprise

Nah they actually worked really hard to tie that all up and it works pretty good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Re: Dr Who- the show was the best when it was in black and white. Don't watch the new show watch the old one.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Watch Blake's 7, Quatermass, and Sapphire & Steel instead.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't tell me what to do, Squizzle :colbert:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Really tho, we all should be watching and talking about STAR TREK: VOYAGER, the best trek.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

It was Romulan spies. Seriously.

Wait, really? I just figured the Vulcans were all "ok, sure, you built a salryman drive, but you're not hot poo poo in a champagne glass,and we ain't just gonna gift you stuff - you have to work."

Then again, I don't remember much about Enterprise beyond Porthos not being allowed cheese but still getting it all the time, and Hoshi and T'Pol rubbing each other under blacklight...

Apparently, even my phone knows this because I just typed "Hoshi and T'Pol" and the word selection automatically suggested my next word be "massaging".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That was a very good scene, 9/11 just happened and America needed it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

British sci-fi, especially television sci-fi, has this :krad: understanding of the universe as an amoral hellhole that we barely have that capacity to needle at the edges of understanding. It's not Lovecraftian qua Lovecraft, because the alien intelligences aren't inscrutable so much as they are just so far superior to us that their hunger, or disdain, or profit-motive is superhumanly powerful.

Literally the only thing to categorically recommend Dr. Who is that, as a children's show, it was forced to deconstruct that view through the person of the Doctor. If the alien is driven by superhuman anger, or superhuman rapacity, or superhuman bureaucracy—then it follows that there should be superhuman wonder, and superhuman curiosity, and superhuman ethical drive, and superhuman mercy, and superhuman imagination. Doctor Who, on at least the premise level, is :krad: for following the "welp the cosmos is digesting us, keep a stiff upper lift ol' bean!" premise of British science fiction so closely that it finds a facet of it that had been basically unaddressed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Really tho, we all should be watching and talking about STAR TREK: VOYAGER, the best trek.

I really like Brad Dourif so I decided to watch his episodes of Voyager for the first time and get this-- I was severely underwhelmed by the wasted potential of some otherwise great story ideas! On Voyager? I know!!

Also I don't remember the last time ingested a story with as big an "idiot plot" as Basics pt 1 and 2. Holy poo poo, everyone has to be stupid in such a precise way for that story to even begin to hang together.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

shadow puppet of a posted:

Don't lie, this is popular german television from 2014 and you know it.

I wish. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Simian_Prime posted:

Just saw the first episode of Enterprise and I'm pretty sure I'd watch any Voyager episode over this poo poo.

- Archer is literally GW Bush in Space, with the Vulcans as his UN. Hate this rear end in a top hat

- Hate Trip He's like somebody took a Dukes of Hazzard character and put him on Trek. Surprised the Enterprise doesn't have a Confederate Flag painted on it., flying in at Warp 5 all "Heritage, Not Hate!!!"

- "It's the future, yet somehow also still the 1950s, don't worry about it"

- I kinda like the rear end in a top hat Vulcans

- Other than Hoshi and the aliens, all the supporting characters are bland as hell. "The Stuffy British Guy!", "The Black Guy!", "Cheerleader!", "The Ugly One!"

- Phlox is completely trolling Archer at every turn. Much approved.

- Paramount exec: "We need to introduce a complicated time-travel arc in Episode 1! That'll bring in the casual viewer!"

- "Also, each episode should have a scene where they strip down to their undies and rub each other down with cocoa butter. That's my fetish; make it work!"

VOYAGER... still better than this

now imagine you're just coming off of seven years of painfully mediocre/lovely Voyager episodes, the producers have been swearing up and down for months that Enterprise is going to be soooooo different and so much better... and you've just finished watching this turd. oh look, they took their normal scripts and did a find-replace where they replaced "shields" with "hull plating", that's... something.

i immediately gave up on the series right there and then. i remember a couple years on people saying "oh the series started to get okay" and i still wanted absolutely nothing to do with the show because of how incredibly burned i felt over the first episode. fool me once... shame on... shame on you... you fool me can't get fooled again!

and then nemesis came out the next year :gonk: