Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm not disputing that this whole picture is dumb and sad, but I sorta agree with this last statement, or at least one of the underlying premises. A punch thrown by a typical untrained computer programmer will be worthless and more likely to hurt said computer programmer's hand (his money maker!) than the attacker's face (especially if we consider that the attacker is probably at least a bit competent).

But this is why when I get asked self-defense questions I tell people to throw elbows, not dumbassed open-palm strikes which are only slightly less likely to hurt the computer programmer and no more likely to hurt the attacker.

It was just the instructor's attitude and claims during the whole session that was making me cynical about Crossfit Self Defense being practical. He kept pointing out how it was highly usable in any dangerous situation unlike like most martial arts, which I felt like he was mkaing a dig at me for wearing a rash-guard with my girlfriend's BBJ club on it. He also kept saying that having a "body forged by CrossFit" will allow you to make more sense of the motions and movement, which again, makes no sense. There was no sparring because it was "not a sport techniques" course.

I mean, the FAQ says it all

quote:

I’m a MMA fighter and have done other martial arts too, I CrossFit as well. Will I really learn anything in a one-day course?

If you’re interested in mental & physical skills to help bridge the gap between MMA and street defense, then absolutely you should attend. There’s always something to learn about awareness, mind-set, fear management and close quarter defense.

If you’re coming to look for some hook or angle to apply to MMA and you aren’t attending for personal safety and skills development, you may leave unfulfilled. This is NOT a sport class.

Having said that, if you are a legitimate CrossFt athlete, you’ll love the course.

Yes, the spelling error is on the official site.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the funniest self defense classes are always women's self defense because every defense is aimed toward exploiting attacks to the balls. Choke defense: balls. Wrist grab: balls. Head lock: balls.

The attacking male will always either attack balls first or stand open-legged once the attack has begun. Then the female victim will knee the attacker in the balls because the balls are a super weak point. Sometimes they will also try to scratch the attacker's eyes while attacking the balls.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

I think the funniest self defense classes are always women's self defense because every defense is aimed toward exploiting attacks to the balls. Choke defense: balls. Wrist grab: balls. Head lock: balls.

The attacking male will always either attack balls first or stand open-legged once the attack has begun. Then the female victim will knee the attacker in the balls because the balls are a super weak point. Sometimes they will also try to scratch the attacker's eyes while attacking the balls.

Not limited to womens self defense. Also applies to dudes that learned grappling from historical Germanic texts on the art of wrasslin.

Ask me how biting and ball tapping = the best grappling historically.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

The Martial Arts Thread : Always attack balls-first

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
tbf gettin hit in the balls loving sucks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Why are we encouraging people to strike in a self defense situation? Break the wrist and walk away.

To get someone to let go of you so you can run away.

I guess that's another problem with punching and kicking in self-defense - if you're at a range where those can work, you're at a range where your Just Bought* Running Shoes can do their job. (excluding the "you're trapped in a dead end ally no options but fight to get out" fake scenario.)

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
It'd be funny if it wasn't monetizing women that are scared of being sexually assaulted.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The heel of my palm is hurting from thinking about landing on a chin.

I've said this before, but my friend in college tried to sign up for a self-defense class for PE credit, and got told that it was actually a women's only class because they taught techniques that they didn't to reveal to men.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Martial secrets beyond the ken of man

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
(kick balls, claw eyes, shout loudly)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And always re-stomp the groin.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

It was just the instructor's attitude and claims during the whole session that was making me cynical about Crossfit Self Defense being practical. He kept pointing out how it was highly usable in any dangerous situation unlike like most martial arts, which I felt like he was mkaing a dig at me for wearing a rash-guard with my girlfriend's BBJ club on it. He also kept saying that having a "body forged by CrossFit" will allow you to make more sense of the motions and movement, which again, makes no sense. There was no sparring because it was "not a sport techniques" course.

If I ended up in one of those things for some reason I wouldn't mention any training I've done until seeing how the instructor acted a little bit.

"MMA doesn't work on the streets" "techniques too deadly for sparring", gently caress off

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

[...] and got told that it was actually a women's only class because they taught techniques that they didn't to reveal to men.

:laffo:

Is that seriously a thing ? How about scrawny gay dudes that have to fend off sexual assault in the exact same way ? Then again expecting sense from someone that says that in the first place is a long shot.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

To get someone to let go of you so you can run away.

I guess that's another problem with punching and kicking in self-defense - if you're at a range where those can work, you're at a range where your Just Bought* Running Shoes can do their job. (excluding the "you're trapped in a dead end ally no options but fight to get out" fake scenario.)

I'm gonna be a pedant here. If someone grabs me and I punch or kick them we are officially fighting. If someone grabs me and I'm able to neutralize their grip and create distance there's a chance the situation can de-escalate.

Encouraging a 100lbs girl to punch or kick a 200lbs attacker will most likely end in utter disaster.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

kimbo305 posted:

I've said this before, but my friend in college tried to sign up for a self-defense class for PE credit, and got told that it was actually a women's only class because they taught techniques that they didn't to reveal to men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4oXXL1a5A

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

I'm gonna be a pedant here. If someone grabs me and I punch or kick them we are officially fighting. If someone grabs me and I'm able to neutralize their grip and create distance there's a chance the situation can de-escalate.

Encouraging a 100lbs girl to punch or kick a 200lbs attacker will most likely end in utter disaster.

Oh yeah for sure. Everything I show people tends towards de-escalation.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Everything I show people is in shiny booty shorts with tassles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Defenestrategy posted:

Not limited to womens self defense. Also applies to dudes that learned grappling from historical Germanic texts on the art of wrasslin.

Ask me how biting and ball tapping = the best grappling historically.

It's not just the wrasslin', either, it shows up in multiple weapons. Apparently medieval Germans were all about the sack tap.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This looks like the same book the weirdo I learned the aforementioned fact about ye olde grappling had pasted on his wall.

Of course, it could just be there are millions of these kinds of books and they all look alike.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

If I am in a fight and you attack my balls I am choking you the gently caress out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

If I am in a fight and you attack my balls I am choking you the gently caress out.

If attacking the balls is the counter to being choked, and choking is the counter to being attacked in the balls, then what happens?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

go on bitch. punish my balls. im not using them anyway

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If attacking the balls is the counter to being choked, and choking is the counter to being attacked in the balls, then what happens?

The answer is to double down on your method of attack. If I choke the life out of you I win, if you rupture my balls I win because that's a free vasectomy.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
How debilitating is a ball strike? Is it literally impossible to not double over or can some guys power through?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

willie_dee posted:

How debilitating is a ball strike? Is it literally impossible to not double over or can some guys power through?

It can hurt quite a bit actually just ask anybody you know that has some balls.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Apologies willie but you did line that one up nicely.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

willie_dee posted:

They hurt a lot, but a good number of people can still walk right through them. There's not a physiological effect inside the body that causes any system to turn off a useful fighting nerve or anything like that.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I feel like I read about an incident in China where two shopkeepers were in a heated argument and the old lady shopkeeper grabbed the balls of the old man shopkeeper, squeezing/rupturing them and the dudes heart stopped.

I guess I'd bet on the balls.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

old.flv posted:

Apologies willie but you did line that one up nicely.

Nah, I have just never been unfortunate enough to take a ball shot, im too fast and my self defence skills are too high.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I took a foot jab to the balls while sparring one time without a cup. I finished out the two minutes remaining and then doubled over sucking for air. So I have to assume unless the strike is physically debilitating, i.e breaks, ruptures, or physically knocks you out you can fight through it.

Edit: liver shots maybe the exception. Ive taken one of those and have been dropped.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I took a foot jab to the balls while sparring one time without a cup. I finished out the two minutes remaining and then doubled over sucking for air. So I have to assume unless the strike is physically debilitating, i.e breaks, ruptures, or physically knocks you out you can fight through it.

Edit: liver shots maybe the exception. Ive taken one of those and have been dropped.

I've taken nut shots that I was able to keep working through, but I've also taken nut shots that dropped me like a liver shot. I've also seen women take box shots that dropped them like liver shots - delayed reaction and everything. I think it can have something to do with force going into the taint, though obviously a ruptured testicle is going to be a bad time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Defenestrategy posted:

I think liver shots actually cause a physical need to lie on your side to get blood to your brain.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think liver shots actually cause a physical need to lie on your side to get blood to your brain.

Oh neat. Looks like you're right.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fight-doctor---the-liver-kick

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fight-doctor---the-liver-kick posted:

Dr. Michael Kelly:
The capsule around the liver has a lot of nerve fibers. It’s directly linked to the autonomic nervous system. When there’s a sudden blow, there are dynamic pressure changes in the actual organ itself, and that stretching of the organ – if you compress one side it stretches on the other because it’s pliable – causes these nerves signals that go directly into the autonomic nervous system and can cause a complex cascade of events. It's something you can’t control mentally, and it causes a sudden dilation of all your blood vessels everywhere except for the brain. At the same time, your heart rate decreases. Normally, to maintain blood pressure, if your blood vessels dilate, your heart beats faster to maintain the pressure in the cardiovascular system, but if you dilate the blood vessels and drop the heart rate, the blood pressure suddenly drops dramatically. Essentially that’s what’s happening with the blow to the liver: The fighter takes a shot, you get this nerve signal going into the autonomic nervous system, your blood vessels dilate, the heart rate decreases, the blood pressure suddenly drops, and the athlete collapses. You can’t control it. You’re down.

The reason for the collapse is, when your blood pressure’s going down, your body tries to instinctively control the blood pressure, and if it can’t raise the heart rate or restrict the blood vessels, it puts the body in a supine position so that it can maintain some blood flow to the brain. Because if you lose blood pressure to the brain, obviously it’s not compatible with life.

Well I learned something new today about punch sports.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

joke's on you it's a common fetish

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I took a nut shot so bad I had a purple uniball for a week and a half but I still finished that round. Very overrated in regards to stopping a real attack.

Liver is a loving off-switch. i obviously don't know what death really feels like, but one day I'm going to find out and it will probably be a lot like that 2nd round back in 2015.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you’re fighting, and somebody kicks your balls, you’ll barely notice it and proceed to beat them unconscious, and then after the fight, once the adrenaline wears off, you’ll be in pain and want to go and lie down for awhile. If somebody sneaks up behind you while you’re not fighting and surprise-kicks your balls it’ll probably double you over in pain though.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I recall reading, possibly on these forums, that getting hit in the liver makes the receiver instantly feel like they've been lethally poisoned.

That article about the physiological reaction is interesting. I wonder why we evolved that specific response.

In emergency medicine, if you're trying to start an IV on someone's external jugular you can press on the liver to make the vein stand out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ihop posted:

I recall reading, possibly on these forums, that getting hit in the liver makes the receiver instantly feel like they've been lethally poisoned.

I haven't been lethally poisoned, but getting punched in the liver is probably the worst feeling I've had sparring ever. I just curled up on the floor and everything was pain for awhile.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 26, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Defenestrategy posted:

This looks like the same book the weirdo I learned the aforementioned fact about ye olde grappling had pasted on his wall.

Of course, it could just be there are millions of these kinds of books and they all look alike.

It's from a 15th century treatise on the Liechtenauer tradition by Andre Paurñfeyndt, so it might be from that, or from other sources on that style of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
The last time I hit someone with a kick to the liver, he just kinda laid down, staring emptily ahead.

It was as if he'd suddenly succumbed to crippling ennui.