Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol ever using sugar in cooking for any reason (outside of pastries and desserts)a is wrong, you heard it here first folks

piratepilates posted:

Adding sugar when cooking seems to be a pretty common step in a lot of Chinese (traditional and westernized) and Japanese cuisine to balance out flavours. Adding sugar to pizza sauce also seems pretty common among respected chefs -- I know Kenji does it in his serious eats recipe for pizzas, and you can see him do it in a lot of meals (when appropriate) he makes in his videos.

yeah you see people using honey for balancing the acid in fresh tomato sauces sometimes, but i feel like that adds flavor i don't want and neutral white sugar makes much more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

Adding sugar when cooking seems to be a pretty common step in a lot of Chinese (traditional and westernized) and Japanese cuisine to balance out flavours. Adding sugar to pizza sauce also seems pretty common among respected chefs -- I know Kenji does it in his serious eats recipe for pizzas, and you can see him do it in a lot of meals (when appropriate) he makes in his videos.

Kenji probably agrees it's ok to be lazy. At other times for his more elaborate recipes he'll say to use sweeter tomatoes and not add sugar.

People often add sugar because they have lousy ingredients or don't want to spend the time caramelizing things.

To be more direct, sugar in a pizza sauce means you are using inappropriate tomatoes. It's still a fine way to make them taste good.

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 23, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Also I want to set the record straight. I reviewed the tapes and Matty added a metric ton of sugar to a tomato sauce for meatball sandwiches. Italian grandmas remain equally upset

Qmass posted:

nah its straight up racist... and complete bullshit - thats the point.

Yeah equating straight up racism to a good enough take is racist adjacent

Veskit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 23, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJODCQVOHrA

Here thread, you deserve this thumbnail.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Priya vs Sohla couple's "gingerbread" house match. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgkpdxPPy8

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Just watched the Munchies ep where Claire shows how to make a croquenbouche, and God, she looks so happy?

Kinda hit me, while watching, that we never really saw her happy and relaxed while she was in the BA test kitchen. She was always stressed and miserable. (Because they always made her do ridiculous things like "create obnoxiously difficult Gourmet versions of popular snack food", and often found a way to make her have to temper chocolate.)

It's nice seeing her happy and comfortable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

tinytort posted:

Just watched the Munchies ep where Claire shows how to make a croquenbouche, and God, she looks so happy?

Kinda hit me, while watching, that we never really saw her happy and relaxed while she was in the BA test kitchen. She was always stressed and miserable. (Because they always made her do ridiculous things like "create obnoxiously difficult Gourmet versions of popular snack food", and often found a way to make her have to temper chocolate.)

It's nice seeing her happy and comfortable.

I think they also had a very tight schedule in the test kitchen. Probably much more lax as a freelancer since she can choose which video projects she wants to shoot.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 24, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

She sure is choosing a lot though. It seems she's got a new video up every time I open YouTube lately. She does have a book to promote though so good for her. Plus she had a 6ish month break.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

flashy_mcflash posted:

She sure is choosing a lot though. It seems she's got a new video up every time I open YouTube lately. She does have a book to promote though so good for her. Plus she had a 6ish month break.

In her preview of her book videos it sounded like she had them all taped already.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

.Z. posted:

That was so cool. I loved Sohla/Hams house, but was blown away by falling water in gingerbread. Would I rather eat Sohlas? Absolutely, but man what an achievement, very much an architect.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5odneOsxNTw

Babish v. Sohla in a bake off, w/ the hot ones guy and Carla as judge.

Kind of happy BA exploded, as the amount of cool cookin' vids that have come out since are so delightful and out there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i love andrew's horrible cube

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
A BA video showed up on my recommendations and it was a guy racing Chinese delivery to make orange chicken or something. Seems like a really good concept. Wish it wasn't on BA.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started watching an Epicurious video about a week ago before thinking "wait a minute... " and stopped before it got even a minute in. Dammit Conde.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Apparently being on YouTube pays really loving well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0-5FZ2Eww

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

.Z. posted:

Holy smokes, both houses managed to blow my already pretty high expectations out of the water.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

yeah i have no desire to watch that poo poo haha

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, especially if you have sponsorships and sell merch.

And lol Jess pretty clearly is not a fan of being on camera.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

What I found interesting is how this new found house doesn't seem to have settled on him yet. I don't know a lot about Babish or watch much outside of his work with Sohla, but I found it interesting that he both was pretty self-aware but also awkward and apologetic about the luxury the house represented. The perfect example would be the black and white photo of Balthazar, he tries to both contextualize it and explain why it's important but then also undercuts himself by talking about how it was the second google image search. Was a bit of a strange watch.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Carillon posted:

That was so cool. I loved Sohla/Hams house, but was blown away by falling water in gingerbread. Would I rather eat Sohlas? Absolutely, but man what an achievement, very much an architect.

fancy stats posted:

Holy smokes, both houses managed to blow my already pretty high expectations out of the water.

The very different vibe between the two teams was awesome, too. Sohla and Ham going "yeah, we're just gonna make something that we want to eat, we're not going to actually compete with Seth on this, he's been preparing his whole life for this" and also Sohla's unspoken (almost unnoticed) "if I actually brought it, I would destroy this white man, and then Priya - my POC female friend - would have to deal with the fallout of that", compared to Seth going "yeah, I've been planning everything out for the past week and I have a chart for what goes where" and Priya going "I love you and I see your vision, but also honey, have you actually considered how long it will take to do all of this?" and trying not to smack Seth for having overreached with how elaborate his planning got.

And the cut between Priya going "they're going to cut from us panicking and stressing out, to Sohla going 'do do do'", to Sohla going "it's the final garnish~".

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Carillon posted:

What I found interesting is how this new found house doesn't seem to have settled on him yet. I don't know a lot about Babish or watch much outside of his work with Sohla, but I found it interesting that he both was pretty self-aware but also awkward and apologetic about the luxury the house represented. The perfect example would be the black and white photo of Balthazar, he tries to both contextualize it and explain why it's important but then also undercuts himself by talking about how it was the second google image search. Was a bit of a strange watch.

the fact that he apparently scrambled to make the place look decent because the architecture magazine wanted to do the video says a lot

halfway through and not nearly enough cat content so far

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Borsche69 posted:

yeah i have no desire to watch that poo poo haha

I hate rich people

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

the fact that he apparently scrambled to make the place look decent because the architecture magazine wanted to do the video says a lot

My impression is YT don't pay for poo poo, but sponsorship, book deals, and owning your own cookware line sure do. It's kind of hilarious how he flat out says the apt was barren before they hired some interior designer to make it look nice for them. He mentions how this is his 'first house' which makes sense given he lives in Brooklyn.

Eat the rich and all that, but eh, money happens to worse people doing worse things.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

One hundred percent of people who know Architectural Digest or a similar outfit is coming to profile their home will have it professionally staged.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The_Doctor posted:

Babish's Bucky is just like my Gunnar - Can't pick him up for more than 10 seconds and when someone comes over he freaks out and hides underneath the furniture. :catte:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

My impression is YT don't pay for poo poo, but sponsorship, book deals, and owning your own cookware line sure do.

I don't think YouTube pays much unless you're hitting the kind of numbers his channel does. 8 million subs and a minimum of a million views per video will dole out a pretty good check I think

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The way his channel took off was pretty incredible. 100k subs, then 500k, then a million in no time and it kept doubling at pace since. I figure most channels either never take off or plateau quickly, his has been a rocket.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Just watched this, the lad has done well

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like jacking off to the hot italian lady on the food chanbel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
In 2020? We jack off to youtubers now, gramps.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Tired Moritz posted:

In 2020? We jack off to youVtubers now, gramps.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Yea Babbish is a millionaire.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think YouTube pays much unless you're hitting the kind of numbers his channel does. 8 million subs and a minimum of a million views per video will dole out a pretty good check I think

From what I've seen if you have highly advertiser friendly content you make about $2500 per 1 million vers per ad shown. The sponsors help out a lot, and then more so merch deals get you that extra distance. Basically if you have the subscribers he has and your content is easily monetized then yeah you're g2g to be a multi millionaire.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Veskit posted:

From what I've seen if you have highly advertiser friendly content you make about $2500 per 1 million vers per ad shown. The sponsors help out a lot, and then more so merch deals get you that extra distance. Basically if you have the subscribers he has and your content is easily monetized then yeah you're g2g to be a multi millionaire.

The Dude Perfect channel is a great example of this. Millions of subscribers and highly highly highly advertiser friendly in the kid demographic = dollars roll in. From scoping out their collective instagrams, each one of those dudes is comfortably Texas Rich. Maybe not Texas Oil Baron rich, but rich enough to have a McMansion and all the toys that go with it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or look up Rosanna Pansino. She made it big and yknow? Good for her.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope the De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina lady is rolling in the big bucks.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Democratic Pirate posted:

I hope the De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina lady is rolling in the big bucks.

The algorithm pays her less. Not sure why, but you can't argue with computer science.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I watched the Babish AD video and I love that he said "I make everyone that comes over watch Into the Spiderverse."

True or not, this is a correct thing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Democratic Pirate posted:

The Dude Perfect channel is a great example of this. Millions of subscribers and highly highly highly advertiser friendly in the kid demographic = dollars roll in. From scoping out their collective instagrams, each one of those dudes is comfortably Texas Rich. Maybe not Texas Oil Baron rich, but rich enough to have a McMansion and all the toys that go with it.

Mr Beast is well on his way to running a billion dollar empire on the back of videos that are basically him and his college buddies making family friendly Jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I want Max Miller from Tasting History to make megabucks youtube money. I can only imagine how magnificent his dream Architectural Digest home would be.