Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

There are some mounts and a lot of legacy gear sets. You won't lose the ability to hand those crates in so don't worry about missing out. You can carry on with the story and just hand those crates in as and when you feel like it. There are some associated achievements with the Star Fortresses though so you'll want all the alliance members to rank 10 at some point if you want that.

The crates drop comp gifts, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I saw a post noting that you're far better off wearing your old 208 PvP gear into a warzone rather than your 230 Tier 1 Galactic Command stuff due to bolster

You are and that's what had me angry last night. If you have full 208 there's no clear upgrades from GC til tier 3. Edit: In PvP.

I don't understand why BW makes Bolster so complicated...Bolster MH/OH to the max, don't bolster Ear, Implants, Relics, or Augments at all, and any Armorings, Mods, or Enhancements below 224 purple get Bolstered to 224 purple. Make an introductory quest that rewards 224 Ear, Implants, and Relics after completing a single WZ, win or lose, just like you get a lvl 10. I would go a step further and put the 208 sets for sell for credits on Fleet with a lvl 65 requirement.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Figured if anyone might know, it'd be you guys. On the SWTOR forums someone asked what gets remembered/defaulted to if you skip KotFE and go straight to KotET which got me wondering what could happen if someone decides to skip KotFE/ET completely for whatever the next expansion is?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was checking out the costume contest entries on a lark, and I remember this one was pretty cool:

Coq au Nandos posted:

Late entry, but I got nostalgic about the Bantam book era, in which all Jedi wore jumpsuits because the prequels hadn't been released yet.

What set's this from?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red letter media did a good job pointing it out but it's dumb as hell that brown robes are the official costume of the Jedi because of the prequel.

They're supposed to be knights, it's a wasted opportunity that they didn't get cool space armor, or maybe colorful space renaissance type cloths with big fancy hats.

Even the shiny armor that generic sith grunts wear in KOTOR would be cooler than what we're stuck with as canon.

On the bright side, I just inspired myself to work on my next outfit designer project...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, but they're also a highly spiritual monastic order which the robes help visually identify.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I do both by always wearing the armored robes. Valiant jedi, wartime ambassador, reinforced phobium chestguard, eradicator, etc. If your char is a twilek you don't have to fight the hood being up/down but the valiant jedi doesn't have a hood.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ainsley McTree posted:

Red letter media did a good job pointing it out but it's dumb as hell that brown robes are the official costume of the Jedi because of the prequel.

They're supposed to be knights, it's a wasted opportunity that they didn't get cool space armor, or maybe colorful space renaissance type cloths with big fancy hats.

Even the shiny armor that generic sith grunts wear in KOTOR would be cooler than what we're stuck with as canon.

On the bright side, I just inspired myself to work on my next outfit designer project...

I loved it when they suggested that Jedi might just wear something appropriate for whatever planet they're on. Ben Kenobi wore robes because he was a desert hermit. Maybe some Jedi dressed like Han did, or like Luke in Empire.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

The idea of lightsaber-resistant armor wasn't really a thing in the movies either, so armor for jedis didn't make much practical sense.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Sith got the best fashion designers so the Jedi were left with bargain bin cast-offs for their costumes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The idea of lightsaber-resistant armor wasn't really a thing in the movies either, so armor for jedis didn't make much practical sense.

Most of the people they'd be fighting wouldn't have sabers though; something that resists a blaster would at least be practical

:goonsay:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Clearly, you nerds, the ideal Jedi costume is a slave girl outfit with pink pigtails.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

You are and that's what had me angry last night. If you have full 208 there's no clear upgrades from GC til tier 3. Edit: In PvP.

I don't understand why BW makes Bolster so complicated...Bolster MH/OH to the max, don't bolster Ear, Implants, Relics, or Augments at all, and any Armorings, Mods, or Enhancements below 224 purple get Bolstered to 224 purple. Make an introductory quest that rewards 224 Ear, Implants, and Relics after completing a single WZ, win or lose, just like you get a lvl 10. I would go a step further and put the 208 sets for sell for credits on Fleet with a lvl 65 requirement.

Hahaha holy poo poo, really? I burned my 208 PvP gear because I assumed that 228 would be better than 208 because of, you know, basic math. What you described is how I thought it would work - Bolster brings you up to like ~220-224 gear level to make sure everyone can at least contribute while they collect "proper" gear. That is beyond stupid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're supposed to be knights

They're "supposed" to be samurai.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Sorry, but samurai swords are bendy, and lightsabers are straight. :spergin:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I always liked Kyle Katarn (:swoon:) kinda smuggler/rogue with lightsaber look, which is why I love outfitting my Guardian with dusters and such. On the other hand, Jedi wearing robes was a thing way before the prequels if my memory is not failing me and wearing mean looking armor was the Sith thing.

Once upon a time, Redletter media pointed out that the "magic" of Yoda (the legendary jedi master and warrior) was him being a green wrinkly midget and force is being something beyond physical. For me, Jedi will always be hermits with robes but I kinda get used to the Old Republic armored Jedi concept.

Now, if you excuse me I will play Kotor 2 while patching SW:TOR and playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes in between.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

Sorry, but samurai swords are bendy, and lightsabers are straight. :spergin:

Laser swords are straight, op.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Galewolf posted:

I always liked Kyle Katarn (:swoon:) kinda smuggler/rogue with lightsaber look, which is why I love outfitting my Guardian with dusters and such. On the other hand, Jedi wearing robes was a thing way before the prequels if my memory is not failing me and wearing mean looking armor was the Sith thing.

Once upon a time, Redletter media pointed out that the "magic" of Yoda (the legendary jedi master and warrior) was him being a green wrinkly midget and force is being something beyond physical. For me, Jedi will always be hermits with robes but I kinda get used to the Old Republic armored Jedi concept.

Now, if you excuse me I will play Kotor 2 while patching SW:TOR and playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes in between.

I have some of my force users in the smuggleresque look just because I get tired of the various robes on them look. Part of why I'm on the hunt to get some of the "older" looks like the Darth Andeddu/Jori Daragon armors is to piece something that looks pre-Jedi era. But then I've also thrown Jedi looking robes on some of my companions to mix things up. Case in point, Dr. Lokin's in the Exiled Master robes so it's like he's eccentric grandpa running around in a bathrobe with my Agent.

But as far as likely looks for the force users, I can see the bathrobe + armor look being something in vogue during war time and something more casual during peacetime. Mostly I see the problem being what I've said about Star Wars for ages is that nerds really don't handle franchise changes well and they'd pitch a fit if Jedi weren't in robes because the first Jedi we see in the franchise is in robes claiming that "This isn't Star Wars". Christ, I remember for decades in the various rpgs and fanwritings coming up with elaborate reasons why Chewbacca only used a bowcaster or his claws such as one needed massive strength to load/fire a bowcaster or some honor thing for not using claws when the actual reason is no one happened to think of someone else using a bowcaster or wookies weren't originally written with claws.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't try to make sense of costuming in this nonsensical mishmash of franchise cliches.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

Oh. Are samurai known for fancy armor?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seems pretty conservative to me.

fake edit: we need more masks with horns and mustaches

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai fought with bows, the sword was a last resort, "well I hosed up" thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Seppuku with a light saber is probably really easy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Seems pretty conservative to me.

fake edit: we need more masks with horns and mustaches

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The films potentially could have done with showing the Jedi wearing that middle step between Obi-Wan's business casual samurai robe and Vader's 'more machine than man' full-helmet battlearmour, but the story went a different direction, with Jedi being bad at their jobs/not suited for military command, and Republic is Empire half-stormtrooper armour (cartoons only).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Seppuku with a light saber is probably really easy

Many cutscenes in this game would agree.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the cartoon Obi-Wan had a tunic but also armored boots and gauntlets.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

The films potentially could have done with showing the Jedi wearing that middle step between Obi-Wan's business casual samurai robe and Vader's 'more machine than man' full-helmet battlearmour, but the story went a different direction, with Jedi being bad at their jobs/not suited for military command, and Republic is Empire half-stormtrooper armour (cartoons only).

Until it was said otherwise, I thought that the Sith Empire eventually merged with the Old Republic to eventually become the Galactic Republic since the Imperial accent eventually becomes the Coruscanti accent along with the armor looks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Where do the tie fighters come from

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ainsley McTree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oifhpT0HZ7Q&t=932s

Proclick between this point till 15:55

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mass produced jedi starfighters.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bioware post about the upcoming 5.1 changes

Makes things a bit better, but still not 100% on board with GC.

Eric Musco posted:

Hey folks,

Since the launch of Knights of the Eternal Throne, we have received a lot of great feedback about the gearing changes we made through Galactic Command. In this post, I want to highlight the changes we are making next week. However, we know this will not address all of your concerns, so let’s also talk about additional changes we plan to make.

Our primary goal for Game Update 5.1: Defend the Throne was to allow players to work towards specific pieces of gear through PvP and Operations. Additionally, we wanted to provide a means to help players gear their other Characters. Here are the changes coming next week:
New currency: Command Tokens - This currency comes from Command Crates. Each Crate will drop Command Tokens based on the Tier of the Crate (Tier 1 – 5 tokens, Tier 2 – 8 tokens, Tier 3 – 12 tokens). These tokens are a Legacy-wide currency and will be retroactively granted (based on your Command Rank) when 5.1 launches.
New currency: Unassembled Components – This currency is a reward for playing Warzones and Galactic Starfighter and can be used to purchase Unassembled Gear Pieces.
New currency: Unassembled Gear Piece - These drop from Operation bosses or are purchased with Unassembled Components and can be turned in along with Command Tokens for specific pieces of gear. The last boss of each Operation has a 100% chance to drop Unassembled Gear Pieces (2 pieces for 8-man, 4 pieces for 16-man). Each other boss in an Operation has an increasing chance to drop them (the second boss having a higher chance than the first boss, and so on). Refer to this forum post to see where each item slot will drop.

With these new currencies, players will be able to go to new vendors and purchase specific items. Here are some of the vendor details:
Unassembled Component Vendor: On this vendor you can turn in Unassembled Components to purchase a specific Unassembled Gear Piece. You can only purchase Tier 1 Unassembled Pieces in this way. However, you can turn in Tier 1 pieces along with Unassembled Components to upgrade them to Tier 2 and 3 respectively. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.
Unassembled Gear Piece Vendor: With this vendor you can turn in one Unassembled Gear Piece for a specific slot (ex: Unassembled Helm Tier 1) along with Command Tokens for that respective piece of gear. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.

The changes listed above are really focused on allowing players to work towards a specific piece of gear. However, we also wanted to allow players to level their alts a bit quicker and so here are some of the changes coming for that:
New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.
New Command XP Boost: This can be purchased with Command Tokens and provides a 15% boost (this boost stacks with the Legacy perk but not the MTX boost). This boost only works per Tier at the following costs:
Tier 1 – 20 Command Tokens
Tier 2 – 28 Command Tokens
Tier 3 – 44 Command Tokens

The above changes are coming next week with Game Update 5.1! Additional concerns you have raised are listed below:

Operations Lacking for CXP
We have been looking at all of the places that players can earn CXP and although our intent is that Operations (especially Veteran/Master) would be the best source of CXP, that is not true currently. We have been working to rebalance the CXP gains of Operations across the board so that they are at least on-par with the best sources of CXP in the game. We plan to include these changes with Patch 5.1.1, but we will give you more information on scheduling once we lock it down.

Galactic Command Gearing Alt-unfriendly
One of the biggest concerns expressed is Galactic Command forces a player into working only on one character. Although that wasn’t our intention, we agree with you. For starters, in 5.1 we are implementing the Legacy-wide currency of Command Tokens, legacy bound boosts you can purchase with Command Tokens, and the legacy perk to speed up leveling. We know that isn’t enough, so we are exploring additional options so that when you are playing any character, there is a way to potentially provide benefit to all other characters in your legacy as well. I have no specifics to share at this time, but I am working to have more details available for our January 26th Livestream.

Command Rank Leveling Speed
We monitor Command Ranks across the game, along with player feedback on the rate at which players are leveling. The Legacy perk and additional boost will help speed up leveling, but we will continue to review. Let’s see how it feels after 5.1. We’ll discuss with you and make further adjustments, if needed.

New Endgame Content
We know addressing the gearing concerns is only half of the equation. Whether it came from the forums, social media, or even focus groups, the feedback is that you want more large group and MMO content such as daily areas and Operations. We will be discussing these very topics in our Livestream next Thursday, January 26, 2017, so come join us!

We want to thank all of your for your continued feedback about Galactic Command. Please keep it coming!

-eric

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Gonna check on discord in a bit too, but does anyone feel like doing dread palace tonight? I have a quest from there I want to knock out and it's the daily. I'll take a shot at tanking it!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hakarne posted:

Gonna check on discord in a bit too, but does anyone feel like doing dread palace tonight? I have a quest from there I want to knock out and it's the daily. I'll take a shot at tanking it!

I won't be home until 9 or 10 eastern but if there's enough people on at that time I can hop on and join.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Medullah posted:

I won't be home until 9 or 10 eastern but if there's enough people on at that time I can hop on and join.

That's about the time I was thinking. I figured we could throw together as many goons as possible and jump in the LFG queue, I don't expect we'll get a full goon group on such short notice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Group finder for Operations doesn't really work in this game, especially with the announcements made today. Raiding is not something people are actively doing right now because the time invested does not make it worth it since there are no gear drops and the CXP isn't worth it when you can PvP or run a bunch of uprisings instead.

We might be able to find 1-2 random people to join, but really the only way we'll get a full group is if we get mostly goons. Next week when gear drops raiding will pick up again.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Bioware post about the upcoming 5.1 changes

Makes things a bit better, but still not 100% on board with GC.

Changes can't come soon enough, I did the math the other night and if you assume 4 items per GC crate I'm disintegrating items at a 99.984% rate on my Sorc.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Hakarne posted:

I'd be down if we got people.

Also am I reading that changelog right, you won't be able to buy gear unless you have the tokens from GC levels AND the items from warzones/operations?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'd be down if we got people.

Also am I reading that changelog right, you won't be able to buy gear unless you have the tokens from GC levels AND the items from warzones/operations?

Warzones give you components to create unassembled pieces, operations drop the pieces themselves. That's in addition to Galactic Command, pieces can randomly drop from there still.

Hit me up on Discord if we get a few people, I'm cleaning and can hop on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So with the upcoming changes, if you only want to PvP, you'll need to win 115 Warzone Matches to get a full set of Tier 1 set gear (6 pieces), or even if you're terrible and lose every warzone you'll only need to lose 192 matches to get a full set! That's actually not TOO terrible. Obviously a bit grindy to get it ALL via PvP, but it should make the queues pop pretty quick. Just to get that one set piece you're missing is only winning 13-20 warzones (or losing 25-34). That's one Tier 1 piece per week just doing the daily, really.

Of course the whole "You need a Tier 1 piece to trade for a Tier 2 piece" is going to suck if you have multiple characters that you are getting pieces on - for example, I did command levels 1-10 because they were fairly quick on all of my Operatives and Scoundrel, and netted a couple of set pieces out of the 4 of them. However, in order to get the Tier 2 piece, I'll have to trade it in on the character that has the shell (never destroy your shells), it seems.

Dulfy's guide

Better than RNG, that's for sure. I don't see myself getting past Tier 1 though, that's a bit of a haul.

• Locked thread