Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont hate hideo baba or anything, but im glad he's dead. new blood is always a good thing for a series after 10 or so years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really have any feelings toward Baba since this sort of thing can't be blamed on a single person. My feelings toward Zesty are conflicted though because I don't mind the concepts behind the story, but calling the execution botched is an understatement.

Also I think the fighting would've been way more fun if it was just using Sorey + the Seraphs as a team of two. The early Sorey/Mikleo fights felt fine, and whenever I fought bosses Rose would die instantly leaving me with an Armatized Sorey anyway.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Endorph posted:

i dont hate hideo baba or anything, but im glad he's dead. new blood is always a good thing for a series after 10 or so years

we must kill sakurai then

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is a game where salvaged items can actually be sold for money no problem, right?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

If we're calling for old hands to step down I'm still on combat programmer Tatsuro Udo. He's been a series veteran since like Eternia and he did bring us Graces on his first lead designer outing but I think he's gotten too deep into the weakness chains rabbit hole and won't let go for some reason. Arte chains are good, but how they were in Destiny/Hearts was Just Fine Thanks. Let someone else bring a battle system next time, and hopefully it catches on or Udo has time to come up with a different concept.

And Naoki Yamamoto, for the same reasons - even if I'd liked Zestiria (or didn't like Berseria), it really feels like we're remixing the same three tropes every game.

Basically, and with minimal animus towards Baba if only out of agnosticism, I hope Fukaya really is bringing a whole new era. And I think what they've said about Velvet's character and Berseria's theming is a real good sign on that front.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

This is a game where salvaged items can actually be sold for money no problem, right?
If it has a bag icon next to it, it's vendor trash.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I want them to get rid of the million weakness types. Who the f remembers that a move is effective against like amorphous versus reptile versus games poster

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cake Attack posted:

I want them to get rid of the million weakness types. Who the f remembers that a move is effective against like amorphous versus reptile versus games poster

In Graces there were hints in the move names but I feel like that's been crumbling.

I've always felt that Berseria is a game that works better if I ignore weakness chains and just focus on catching enemies all together, which is pretty much how the chain system worked in D/H, when the weakness system was comparatively simpler. The main thing about artes wasn't stacking them on an enemy but their hit patterns. I've seen Barbatos solo videos that are less pummeling and more kicking him back and forth across the map like a soccer ball.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"Velvet you're a Therian?"

Everyone in my party has the memory of a goldfish and a celcius room temperature for IQ.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caphi posted:

In Graces there were hints in the move names but I feel like that's been crumbling.

I've always felt that Berseria is a game that works better if I ignore weakness chains and just focus on catching enemies all together, which is pretty much how the chain system worked in D/H, when the weakness system was comparatively simpler. The main thing about artes wasn't stacking them on an enemy but their hit patterns. I've seen Barbatos solo videos that are less pummeling and more kicking him back and forth across the map like a soccer ball.

I kind of like weaknesses because they're a good way to encourage you to not just chain together whatever your best combo is. I think Graces did it way better than Berseria though because it doesn't feel like doing a perfect chain is as important.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Berseria has all those weaknesses but I found you could mostly ignore them this go around and just focus on elemental weaknesses and do just fine.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phantasium posted:

Berseria has all those weaknesses but I found you could mostly ignore them this go around and just focus on elemental weaknesses and do just fine.

At most I just bother with changing around Velvet's artes for bosses. You can usually set something up and then spam it to get a 2x multiplier and follow it up with a mystic arte chain to kill a boss super fast.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The enemy type weaknesses also really compound the issues with the gear system. The stuff like increased effectiveness against crabs and increased experience from amorphous are just so superfluous as to be frustrating. Does the game really expect that I would hit a crab battle, pause, and switch to my crabbing gear? Do they really expect one to keep a set for each type on each character?

No, because the general BG/Life Steal bonuses are way better, experience and levels hardly matter with mob scaling, and the thresholds for bonus SG/BG are generally even more important than anything on your gear.

Rock/Paper/Scissors type weaknesses rarely add anything to any action game except inefficiency and bloat. It doesn't make you feel like a tactical genius to use your anti-dragon combo against dragons, or water moves against the guy with a water weakness. It just boils down to spending more time in menus reading move descriptions, pressing a different button, or outright ignoring it in the best case.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Shere posted:

The enemy type weaknesses also really compound the issues with the gear system. The stuff like increased effectiveness against crabs and increased experience from amorphous are just so superfluous as to be frustrating. Does the game really expect that I would hit a crab battle, pause, and switch to my crabbing gear? Do they really expect one to keep a set for each type on each character?

No, because the general BG/Life Steal bonuses are way better, experience and levels hardly matter with mob scaling, and the thresholds for bonus SG/BG are generally even more important than anything on your gear.

Rock/Paper/Scissors type weaknesses rarely add anything to any action game except inefficiency and bloat. It doesn't make you feel like a tactical genius to use your anti-dragon combo against dragons, or water moves against the guy with a water weakness. It just boils down to spending more time in menus reading move descriptions, pressing a different button, or outright ignoring it in the best case.

Zestiria once literally recommended you put together an anti-petrification outfit for a single boss battle, which is a tremendous pain, so they may actually think they've made a good equipment system.

The other thing about specialized equipment is that it works weird with the rarity/tier/secondary stat system. Rings are a perfect example. Historically if you got a Burn Charm or a Para Charm or whatever, that was what you got, and you could use it to gear up for the ice dungeon and the only upgrade was a Check that gave you better resistance. Berseria (and I believe this is more or less just held over from Zestiria) has this weird thing going on with the checks where they're also part of the rarity/tier/secondary stat system so you're meant to replace the Fire Ward with the Burn Check and then the Something Else Check and then the Undead Ring because that constitutes the MAtk Rings Progression. So essentially you're meant to pick the ones that have the best stats and/or the generally good skills like BG and Soul keep and ignore the specialized skills anyway.

And as usual, Destiny PS2 did this best.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 3, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also yeah please get rid of millions of micro passives like +4.2069 damage against reptiles on the fourth friday of the month. they are just no fun to navigate and they drown out actual valuable skills.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

But then Graces titles can never return.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're not going to reuse that system in its entirety anyway but there are dozens of things you could use those skill slots for other than +4% damage against therians.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should reuse the titles in their entirety, imo

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I could do with less % bonuses in general and Graces titles are generally those writ large. It's like Tales wants to be a wild character action game and an intricate mathbuilding game where you can play with extreme precision to tweak rates and probabilities, at the same time (do this for a 10% chance to proc a status that gives you 20% more attack for 10 seconds!), and I don't care for mathbuilding but I very very much don't care for the combination.

Of course, the last few actual Platinum games have been real mathful, so what do I know.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm through the return to Titania on Intense and I don't pay attention to gear stats. It's a never ending mastery treadmill.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You use the titles to see things get unlocked. Doesn't really matter what they are 99% of the time, but seeing a bar up telling you to move on to something else is nice. Titles in particular were good since there were a billion of them and they were free.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I like the titles in this game if only because there is one that ranks up based on time spent in menus. The titles don't draw my ire quite like the gear does simply because most of the titles are fully passive in level gain.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

-Scrap the whole loot system from Zesty and Berseria. It sucks and isn't fun at all.

also this:

Cake Attack posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BURN's a drat good song and I listen to it every time I boot the game

it's the second Karma

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Does the option to have different titles boost or reduce stats upon level gain in NG+ mean that a selected stat will go down or that it will just go up less than it normally would (e.g. Attack only goes up 5 instead of 10 in exchange for Defense going up 30 instead of 15, or whatever)?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The latter, although I don't know exactly by how much. The game mechanics guide has the averaged out default stat gains for each character, though: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/167071-tales-of-berseria/faqs/74291#section6

Edit: Oh nevermind I glanced over the relevant section: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/167071-tales-of-berseria/faqs/74291#section8

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Quick question not really related to Berseria, but does anyone have a screenshot of Sorey and Mikleo doing their forearm tap high five thing?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a non spoilery answer for when I can enhance gear beyond 3? I've just arrived in the port town after everyone got sick on the boat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You're a fair number of story beats away from getting to 6. I just unlocked it myself, you'll know you're close when you start finding Bait-class items (their menu icon is a fish hook) in shining spots. Until then, just cruise it and make sure to grind up your Coarse Upgrade Powder because you will chew through 99 of those instantly just to get Standard Upgrade Powders.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I started using cheatengine to get my crafting materials at some point since whole thing was tedious as gently caress

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm climbing the volcano. How much longer have I got until the end?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You're like 90% there, IIRC it's just a short dungeon and the final one, also a bunch of side quests to resolve character arcs.

Also, question, thread: How do I go back to the island where the Bad Thing happens to Silvia?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Just dig around the maps for a (!). It's in one of the cities, might be Yseult.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wasn't thrilled with Berseria's gear system -- I think I spent the entire game wearing suboptimal gear to learn skills that didn't really matter in the end anyway, but dammit I had to fill all the bars -- but the only thing about the game that actually annoyed me was the fact that the Dazed status affected the number of Souls you had. You could get hobbled for an entire fight based on an enemy getting in a lucky hit, and then lethargically, low-combo-limitedly hammer on them with their elemental weakness for like a solid minute without getting a Soul back. Also whether an enemy got staggered and whether they could instantly block a back attack while moving both seemed really arbitrary. All in all this was a better translation of Tales combat style to 3D than any other game I've played -- most of them felt like a 2D fighting game with a third dimension stapled on -- but there were still some problems.

I admit it's fully possible that I just sucked at Berseria's combat, but I managed to beat its final boss on regular difficulty so I was at the very least good enough :colbert:

(I could not beat Phoenix though :negative:)

The game's writing and VA were easily the best thing about it -- as pretty much everyone has said, Velvet was the best in both of these (+1 on being really impressed with the VA's ability to switch back and forth seamlessly between Happy Caretaker Girl and Resentment-Fueled Monster Thing), and Eizen ruled because they managed to make him both a huge dork and super badass without these two character traits clashing with each other or seeming contrived. Also, credit to Laphicet for being the first Little Kid character in a Tales game I not only didn't utterly despise (lookin' at you, Genis and Karol) but actually liked. The "will you STOP WHINING" line was the fuckin' best :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

loquacius posted:

I wasn't thrilled with Berseria's gear system -- I think I spent the entire game wearing suboptimal gear to learn skills that didn't really matter in the end anyway, but dammit I had to fill all the bars -- but the only thing about the game that actually annoyed me was the fact that the Dazed status affected the number of Souls you had. You could get hobbled for an entire fight based on an enemy getting in a lucky hit, and then lethargically, low-combo-limitedly hammer on them with their elemental weakness for like a solid minute without getting a Soul back.
You're supposed to switch out when that happens.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

that feel when your bg doesn't refill enough from your masteries to switch back in after switching out

If the first switch for a character in every encounter was free, I'd be cool with that. Then you can fix the rng messing with your soul gauge, but you can't just freely switch afterwards to generate a ton of sg.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, also I played this game with sound on so I could hear the VA because it was really good, but the soundtrack wasn't great. They could have at least had a different track for every major area instead of using one of like three "generic outdoor themes" over and over

Endorph posted:

Well, then I'd have to learn multiple characters' fighting styles, and if that's what they were encouraging me to do, there are better ways to accomplish this than giving the player character a random chance to get arbitrarily hosed over in every battle :colbert:

e: come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only time I've played a non-main-character in battle in a Tales game is the sidequest battles in Symphonia where you have to play as Sheena, and I sucked at those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's how you play eizen:

ditch
mash r2

grats

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

here's how you play eizen:

ditch
mash r2

this has the same problem as not getting back sg though since eizen's r2 relies on an enemy getting stuns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ditch

• Locked thread