Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Noctone posted:

So I guess Canelo-GGG rematch is off indefinitely. GGG was demanding an even split and apparently that is unreasonable????

He deserves an equal split 100% and with charlo / Saunders etc in line I say gently caress Canelo. It isn't GGG 's image in tatters lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Noctone posted:

So I guess Canelo-GGG rematch is off indefinitely. GGG was demanding an even split and apparently that is unreasonable????

It's "unreasonable" from a purely financial aspect, because Canelo is the much bigger PPV star. But, Canelo failed two drug tests which caused their original rematch to fall through and cost everyone a lot of money. Golovkin is also the champion and should have been given a comfortable decision win in the first fight over Canelo, but apparently that was only worth 10 points in negotiations (the first rematch was negotiated at 65/35, up from 70/30 in the first fight). Considering everything, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a 50/50 split. At least 55-45.

GGG will be ok; he has other options, and most people think that he won the first fight with Canelo anyway. He could finally try to unify with Saunders, or fight Charlo if he's looking for big fights. Nothing will be as lucrative as Canelo, but he'll still make millions. Canelo loses out on that big pay day too, and his future fights will not be as lucrative as the GGG rematch would have been. He's now planning on fighting Danny Jacobs, which is a big step down in money, and a dangerous fight in it's own right. Jacobs is a big and talented middleweight who could be effective at super-middleweight due to his size at 6'0. Canelo's a blown up (and possibly newly steroid-free) junior middleweight at 5'8. Canelo/Jacobs would also pretty much be a must win for Canelo. If he loses, I'm not really sure where he goes. Maybe back down to junior middleweight? It would be the first real ding on Canelo's future career potential, anyway.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The rematch was never going to happen after Canelo popped. Sending him in the ring with GGG without his special sauce is like sending a lamb to slaughter.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
As much as I sympathize with Golovkin the boxer, Golovkin the businessman really screwed this up. In an ideal world he would at least get a 50-50 split (and maybe more) but the box office just doesnt bear it out at all.

At any rate I'd be fine with Canelo-Jacobs though I think that's a bad style matchup since both are going to want to counterpunch and Golovkin fighting Saunders or Derevyanchenko or whomever. Whether intentional or not Canelo got Golovkin on the right side of his career and I have to believe it's really all downhill from here for GGG.

Edit: Golovkin ended up getting stripped by the IBF anyways so so much for 'uneefication' with Saunders.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/1004474603228614657?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The IBF are sure stubborn over their rules. I mean, it's better than the blatant corruption of the WBC and WBA, but annoying in it's own right.

I'm not even sure who Derevyanchenko would fight for the IBF strap, as the #2 IBF rating is vacant and the #3 ranked guy is Danny Jacobs, who's making 10x+ the money fighting Canelo than he would fighting Derevyanchenko. The #4 ranked guy is Jermall Charlo, but he's already the WBC mandatory to Golovkin. I'm sure Charlo would much prefer a Golovkin fight to a Derevyanchenko fight for a multitude of reasons, way more money being the obvious one. So then you get to the #5 ranked guy of Demetrius Andrade, who's also Billy Joe Saunders' mandatory, but Andrade probably takes the IBF fight, because it could happen in the states and is probably an easier fight on paper than a fight with the tricky Saunders.

So... maybe Derevyancheko/Andrade for the IBF strap?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't really get too upset about the rematch being off. I thought GGG won the first one and while I'd like to see the next fight, I don't need to and I think GGG's career really got kneecapped by being in endless negotiations with golden boy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Horn missed weight

Edit: he got there the third time but Crawford is going to kill him

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Lid posted:

Horn missed weight

...the first time. He got a reprieve and made it an hour later.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
When Horn gets throttled tomorrow he can fufill his true destiny as Maidana's comeback fight

https://twitter.com/BoxingNewsED/status/1004302807896387584

If he puts on 110 pounds

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How not to make friends

Top Rank has denied any funny business after Jeff Horn said the scales had been 'dodgied' when he initially failed to make weight ahead of his world title blockbuster against Terence Crawford in Las Vegas.

"We tested on the official set from Top Rank. I think there was a few tricks up their sleeve. He was just under weight and I was just over. I thought I was under.

"I knew this was coming. I knew they had plenty of tricks in their book. I had to go up there for an extra 20 minutes. I think they think I'm mentally weaker than I actually am. This stuff is all part of it. I know it."

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Horn is incredibly annoying. Going to be nice to see Crawford destroy him, despite Horn coming into the ring as a middleweight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't knock a belt holding boxer for having self belief, or knowing how to leverage his best asset, personally.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i meant to watch that fight and forgot it was on lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

i meant to watch that fight and forgot it was on lol

Sounds like it was complete joke.

Fury looking shite with a better fight going on in the crowd behind them

https://twitter.com/mattchadwick5/status/1005573499543486465

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Just watched it on catch-up and it was total poo poo. Fury got warned for inactivity :lol:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Tyson Fury kissed Sefer during the preflight instructions and just clowned around (all that can be said about Fury is that hes still unexpectedly not in shape) then Seferi quit for no reason after 4 rounds. Despite the fight being "free" to watch I still felt ripped off.

At least Maurice Hooker didn't get robbed by Terry Flanagan :unsmith:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
So the likelihood of a fury comeback is basically nil?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I had very low expectations going in and he didn't even match them. He's still really out of shape and got gassed easily despite hardly doing anything. It's not impossible he'll get back to where he was but he's going to need to put a whole lot more work in.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

He's probably off the gear too which is going to make things harder for him in terms of dropping weight and getting fit

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

horn will win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

horn will win.

i don't think the guy who was seconds away from getting stopped by a 90 year old manny pacquiao is going to have much for bud but thanks for reminding me to place a bet

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i don't think the guy who was seconds away from getting stopped by a 90 year old manny pacquiao is going to have much for bud but thanks for reminding me to place a bet

Fun fact: Horn was knocked down by a 42 year old Randall Bailey and a 38 year old Ali Funeka. Maybe his weakness is old guys.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Fun fact: Horn was knocked down by a 42 year old Randall Bailey and a 38 year old Ali Funeka. Maybe his weakness is old guys.

huh. that is interesting.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Watching the undercard before I turn in, Shakur Stevenson looks tidy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

huh. that is interesting.

yeah what it means is he's bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yeah what it means is he's bad

terrence crawford by ko / tko r 4-6

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

When will the Horn Crawford fight likely start?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

What on Earth is ESPN+ and why would I pay for something that should be on their main networks anyway? They can't possibly be making much with this, right?
I know some people that are looking to cord cut, but this won't lure them to pay for streaming ESPN :wtf:

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013

balancedbias posted:

What on Earth is ESPN+ and why would I pay for something that should be on their main networks anyway? They can't possibly be making much with this, right?
I know some people that are looking to cord cut, but this won't lure them to pay for streaming ESPN :wtf:

far be it from me to stan for ESPN but it's actually a good deal if you're into boxing

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
jesus, Moran is a loving mess

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Wonder if this will end before Charlo-Trout (currently late in the 10th round)

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Charlo easily decisions Trout...somehow one judge had it a draw for a majority decision. The crowd is booing so loud, and its emotionally bothering Charlo. Trout says he's not done, but not sure that's accurate.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this is like an asylum movies version of hatton vs floyd

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good stoppage.

Crawford battered him.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
buuuuuuud

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Was it competitive at all?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Marching Powder posted:

Every source I've seen so far indicates that no, it was not competitive.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

Not really. Horn was rushing in the first 4 rounds or so but getting timed. He stopped after that and was even getting pushed around the clinch then Crawford really put it on and it was over.

Crawford is probably the second best welterweight right now but unfortunately there's really no way for him to get the big fights for a while. Horn is at least a tough, serviceable guy which is really all he ever was

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Horn's best round was one of the first two and he still lost it. Downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Best part about the fight was that it ended literally right when Santa Cruz-Mares began which has been pretty good so far.