Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

tech bubble chat: oh yeah i joined IWW yesterday.

but you're not an industrial worker and it's also not clear you're from this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but you're not an industrial worker and it's also not clear you're from this world

IWW is just the cool kids generic union for professions that don't have unions of their own :shrug:

except my pharmacist friend tried to join it and the dropdown didn't have "pharmacist" so i guess he's management or something lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

IWW is just the cool kids generic union for professions that don't have unions of their own :shrug:

except my pharmacist friend tried to join it and the dropdown didn't have "pharmacist" so i guess he's management or something lol

IWW is a general labor union, not a trade union. important (and unfortunately mostly historical at this point) difference

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Krankenstyle posted:

there's no good reason for having so much cash

this was apartheid era south africa so ironically, that would have been the most ethical way to operate as a white family making obscene profit selling african gemstones

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

gently caress yeah.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this was apartheid era south africa so ironically, that would have been the most ethical way to operate as a white family making obscene profit selling african gemstones

i guess you mean instead of putting it in an apartheid bank? i suppose hiding your stacks of money in a safe would be less unethical than putting it in a bank that was run by members of the apartheid system

but heres another idea: they had so much cash they couldnt close their safe; thats a tony montana type problem. maybe if they just parted out the money to poor people instead that would be better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

:hai:

unions are really good, and they are your friend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i am to be valued by my labor, i will find friends that help ensure my labor is properly valued

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

i guess you mean instead of putting it in an apartheid bank? i suppose hiding your stacks of money in a safe would be less unethical than putting it in a bank that was run by members of the apartheid system

but heres another idea: they had so much cash they couldnt close their safe; thats a tony montana type problem. maybe if they just parted out the money to poor people instead that would be better

i always thought numbered swiss bank accounts were for people like that, especially decades ago when they took that anonymity thing really seriously.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

so is iww going to bargain on behalf of your friend, who they don't even recognize as a pharmacist, with his employer, who they also have no relationship with, and they will do so in a collective manner, even though your friend's coworkers and potential replacements are unlikely to be iww members?

like i get the point of unions and i'm all for them but i don't see what a generic union for typically non-unionized professions is supposed to do

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In most sane jurisdiction, an employer who has signed a collective bargaining agreement with a union cannot hire people who are not part, or willing to become part, of that union

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The_Franz posted:

i always thought numbered swiss bank accounts were for people like that, especially decades ago when they took that anonymity thing really seriously.

they were and are, but back then south africa was under a UN boycott so they had to smuggle money out to put them in the swiss accounts. they couldnt just do like modern criminals do what with using the internet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FrozenVent posted:

In most sane jurisdiction, an employer who has signed a collective bargaining agreement with a union cannot hire people who are not part, or willing to become part, of that union

no, that is bad. this enables employers to force employees to become members of a lovely union

make the union agreement legally binding for all employees whether theyre organized or not. this protects the stragglers. it does require a critical mass that yall are nowhere near though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Krankenstyle posted:

no, that is bad. this enables employers to force employees to become members of a lovely union

make the union agreement legally binding for all employees whether theyre organized or not. this protects the stragglers. it does require a critical mass that yall are nowhere near though.

correct. TBH iww is a symbolic org for the most part right now - but they did organize a prison labor strike last fall that had every slaver-rear end warden south of the mason dixon making GBS threads their pants

theyre not inactive at all, theyre just small

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Krankenstyle posted:

i think you make a good point, but it also means that labor in america is turbo hosed. i don’t really know any recent numbers but union membership is laughable fraction of what it used to be. i think getting rid of closed shops will just hasten their decline.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jonny 290 posted:

nice!

never stop wobbling, brother

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Krankenstyle posted:

yea i was just making an ironic comment on them not paying taxes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i still remember the iww-organized panhanders' strike from like 15 years ago, that was a true victory for labor

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the IWW has over a century of institutional knowledge when it comes to rabble rousing for the working folk

and thats pretty ok

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
considering like 90% of the most influential protest folk singers leaned heavily on busking for large portions of their careers, its not quite as dumb as it seems

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the biggest barrier to organizing in america is that everyone can just get fired & the boss can have have applicants ready day after. labor law needs changed to create a proper substrate.

all steps are good steps though, even if theyre baby steps

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 24, 2018

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Krankenstyle posted:

the biggest barrier to organizing in america is that everyone can just get fired & the boss can have have applicants ready day after. labor law needs changed to create a proper substrate.

all steps are good steps though, even if theyre baby steps

bu bwuu buttttt my "right to work" :cry:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

atomicthumbs posted:

IWW is a general labor union, not a trade union. important (and unfortunately mostly historical at this point) difference

🤔

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

actualy,

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The operative word is the one missing from your screenshot.

The IWW isn't a union for everyone without a union, it's a union for every laborer. trade unions are for specific trades.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

don't worry i'm sure they had all that money in that safe just to carefully hold it until they could use it to pay their almost certainly all black labor force fair and honest wages for all their hard work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean musk is a silicon valley libertarian meritocracy type after all, so i'm sure all the tax dodging was just protesting big government trying to take money that rightfully belonged to the hard workers, who demonstrated all their merit by making the mine incredibly successful and who i'm sure musk and co recognized for their important contributions

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i mean musk is a silicon valley libertarian meritocracy type after all, so i'm sure all the tax dodging was just protesting big government trying to take money that rightfully belonged to the hard workers, who demonstrated all their merit by making the mine incredibly successful and who i'm sure musk and co recognized for their important contributions

look i mean they just coincidentally decided to leave South Africa at the end of the 80s and emigrate to Canada, there's no foolishness there at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atomicthumbs posted:

The operative word is the one missing from your screenshot.

The IWW isn't a union for everyone without a union, it's a union for every laborer. trade unions are for specific trades.

its a fair distinction, & joining specific trade union is generally the better idea, but joining such as IWW isnt a bad idea at all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah absolutely. if i could join Tech Support Local 303, i would be slammin dues there
just tryin to do something, i vote, idk what else to do besides start capping nazis, so i figure ill stay peaceful and progressive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i did not read that as slammin dues the first time around.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
7 billion genders roll with it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i only slam comrades :cool:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/aproustian/status/967258193444458496

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

work with me here
Perhaps they themselves should have been parted out?
idk just spitballing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well Elon didn't want to report those lose emerald sales as income so into the safe it goes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Foo posted:

work with me here
Perhaps they themselves should have been parted out?
idk just spitballing

that works for me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Krankenstyle posted:

i only slam comrades :cool:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

infernal machines posted:

i did not read that as slammin dues the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm interested in furthering workers rights but its a shame IWW is mostly symbolic. I guess I could see it as a monthly donation to a group that lobbies for those rights.

Yeah if there was a Seattle Tech Workers union I'd be down, a quick google search reveals a "Washington Alliance of Technology Workers" but I don't know much about them