Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah consuming aether is a property of Primals, not dragon eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

If Lahabrea were salvageable, Elidibus would have pulled him out of the Eye when he had it.

Plus I'm pretty sure King Thordan ate him, not the Eye.

Well I mean there's clearly going to be something going on with Lahabrea what with pandemonium and all, so maybe Elidibus did try to pull him out of Ascalon and he came back wrong(er)? I've got no real evidence though, and Pandemonium Lahabob could easily be some sort of flashback or clone or who knows what.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rand Brittain posted:

If Lahabrea were salvageable, Elidibus would have pulled him out of the Eye when he had it.

There is also the possibility that Elidibus did not know. Suffice it to say, one way or another, Pandemonium seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Rand Brittain posted:

Just double-checked the cutscene, since I'd seen it recently enough on my alt that I thought I was remembering it correctly, and after Thordan kills Lahabrea, Lahabrea's essence is shown getting absorbed into the Eye embedded in Ascalon. Thordan then goes on to say that "Gods absorb aether, even if it's from an Ascian", indicating that, yes, given time he would have used up all of Lahabrea's aether, but we kill him six minutes later (five of which is sitting through Knights of the Round), so he didn't precisely get a chance to do much with the absorbed aether in that time (certainly not on the scale he was expecting to use the aether to fuel).

I don't believe Lahabrea was salvageable either (as you say, if he was, it would have happened) -- I'm just giving the logic behind the (remembered) dev statement about Lahabrea still being "around" until Shinryu.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gearhead posted:

There is also the possibility that Elidibus did not know. Suffice it to say, one way or another, Pandemonium seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

Given that Lahabrea was in charge of Academia Anyder in Amaurot, we're likely going to be cleaning up experiments of his in some way.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I can't imagine a scenario where Lahabrea actually returns in the Present tense. Maybe OnlyFans is using some of his old research or something and that's what explains the towers, and we figure that out through some Laha-centric Echo flashbacks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine a scenario where Lahabrea actually returns in the Present tense. Maybe OnlyFans is using some of his old research or something and that's what explains the towers, and we figure that out through some Laha-centric Echo flashbacks.

Lahabrea Echo flashbacks are going to be worthless unless they appear in the proper Lahabrea format: unskippable voiced cutscenes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Lahabrea Echo flashbacks are going to be worthless unless they appear in the proper Lahabrea format: unskippable voiced cutscenes.

:pray:

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
I'm still all for it being loosely based on FF2 Pandaemonium and Lahabrea became king of hell after he died.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Yeah, the game's been kind of waffley and unclear about the distinction between aether and soul (the Pixie tribe quests were very explicit but the game's previously and concurrently talked about and treated them as synonymous half the time), but I wouldn't be surprised if Pandemonium is going to be about Lahabrea's soul not sitting well or right due to him being an Unsundered not interested in resting peacefully.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ironslave posted:

Yeah, the game's been kind of waffley and unclear about the distinction between aether and soul (the Pixie tribe quests were very explicit but the game's previously and concurrently talked about and treated them as synonymous half the time), but I wouldn't be surprised if Pandemonium is going to be about Lahabrea's soul not sitting well or right due to him being an Unsundered not interested in resting peacefully.

Thinking about it, Lahabrea is the only unsundered that didn't die at peace with his fate.Emet seemed to be content with just the knowledge that someone would remember Amaurot, and Elidibus died understanding that he was cared for and did good (I guess; I'm gonna be honest I wasn't fully paying attention to his death scene). Lahabrea got chumped by a mortal, and died being stunned that was possible.

Personally, I wish more of the villains in FFXIV would die mad, not all of them deserve a peaceful death. But I could see that being a direction they'd go.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean plenty of villains in FFXIV die mad. Varis, Vauthry, Asahi come to mind off the top of my head, and there's a whole lot more. Most of them, in fact.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean plenty of villains in FFXIV die mad. Varis, Vauthry, Asahi come to mind off the top of my head, and there's a whole lot more. Most of them, in fact.

That's true, and now that I think about it most of the ones that avoided dying mad are the ones that avoided dying in the first place--Gaius and Yotsuyu (the first time) both come to mind. And I... actually forget how Nidhogg died exactly, but given he was angry for approximately a thousand years he probably died angry too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

That's true, and now that I think about it most of the ones that avoided dying mad are the ones that avoided dying in the first place--Gaius and Yotsuyu (the first time) both come to mind. And I... actually forget how Nidhogg died exactly, but given he was angry for approximately a thousand years he probably died angry too.
I'm pretty sure Nidhogg died from pissing me off

e: He was pretty loving mad about it, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Nidhogg's last line is something like 'To be bested twice my mortal hands?' which always seemed an oddly funny 'well, poo poo' way for the angriest being alive to go out

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just realised Nidhogg's story is just "local dragon too angry to die"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In a way, Yotsuyu died the most mad, but it was a sad mad.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think hers was closer to bitter resignation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yotsuyu: I will turn into a goddess of vengeance and take my revenge on the world, starting with the Godslayer who leads the Alliance's armies!

Yotsuyu: ...In my defense, I did not make my career on thinking things through first.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cythereal posted:

Yotsuyu: I will turn into a goddess of vengeance and take my revenge on the world, starting with the Godslayer who leads the Alliance's armies!

That was the point. She did this on purpose. The transition phase is about the conflict inside her of wanting to do better and be better but her sins being too loving great to do that. This was always a suicide by WoL plan with the hope of at least getting to kill her poo poo Faced brother herself before dying.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That was the point. She did this on purpose. The transition phase is about the conflict inside her of wanting to do better and be better but her sins being too loving great to do that. This was always a suicide by WoL plan with the hope of at least getting to kill her poo poo Faced brother herself before dying.

And good riddance to a sadistic psychopath.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If they want to do some FFII-inspired story with Pandemonium and Lahabrea, they could always lean on him being the foremost scholar of phantom creation. We could have a "Lahabrea" that's the result of the original's research, like a Primal version of himself, or some similar mess. Be a bit of an echo of Emet's shades and Elidibus's nature, but twisted more monstrously. Could even have both "Hell" and "Heavenly" Lahabrea fights :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Yotsuyu: ...In my defense, I did not make my career on thinking things through first.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mistake, it was intentional suicide by WoL

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are absolutely almost 100% for sure going to do a "Hell" thing with Lahabrea. The literal first time the character's name is mentioned was in FF12 for the profile for the esper Mateus, who is named after the FFII Emperor. They're going with Lahabrea in a place named after Mateus' big dungeon so... yeah.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hmm this character who was interrupted in the process of comitting suicide due to being wracked with guilt just turned into a primal and challenged the godslayer to a fight. Ah well, I guess these two actions are completely unrelated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yes, I think I got the point from the first three or four people to respond telling me that.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
:it is a suicide by cop analogy:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also it's not like the WoL has some kind of Pokemon type advantage against primals specifically. They're just A) immune to tempering and B) a high-level adventurer. Becoming a primal is going to give you an enormous advantage even if you can't just push your "temper" button to auto-win any engagement.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ferrinus posted:

Also it's not like the WoL has some kind of Pokemon type advantage against primals specifically. They're just A) immune to tempering and B) a high-level adventurer. Becoming a primal is going to give you an enormous advantage even if you can't just push your "temper" button to auto-win any engagement.

This is true, but... I mean, I'm a strong voice against 'the WoL is basically Superman' angles, and even I'll point out that the WoL's win/loss ratio against primals is bonkers. It genuinely is a bad move to primal up against the WoL if you're at all planning to win.

Hell, if you break it down, Yotsuyu had a better chance against the WoL without going primal (if she wanted to win, which she did not). When you factor in everyone who held the role regardless of their means of victory, he WoL has had to take an L most often against politicians.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When people Primal up it’s like they just built a bomb in their garage, and then a cowboy (the WoL) shows up and shoots them dead.

The ascians are teaching radicalized people to build bombs because they think one of them will blow up the credit bureau, eliminating debt. The ascians are too high off their own farts to believe they might be mistaken.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cleretic posted:

This is true, but... I mean, I'm a strong voice against 'the WoL is basically Superman' angles, and even I'll point out that the WoL's win/loss ratio against primals is bonkers. It genuinely is a bad move to primal up against the WoL if you're at all planning to win.

Hell, if you break it down, Yotsuyu had a better chance against the WoL without going primal (if she wanted to win, which she did not). When you factor in everyone who held the role regardless of their means of victory, he WoL has had to take an L most often against politicians.

The warrior of light has defeated far, far, far more non-primals than primals, and primals have historically given them the most trouble and required the most preparation and backup to even engage at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

They are absolutely almost 100% for sure going to do a "Hell" thing with Lahabrea. The literal first time the character's name is mentioned was in FF12 for the profile for the esper Mateus, who is named after the FFII Emperor. They're going with Lahabrea in a place named after Mateus' big dungeon so... yeah.

We DO have a dawn of souls amount of dead friends.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Echo is what makes the WoL immune to tempering. It's the Blessing of Light that makes the WoL roll all attacks with advantage against Primals and whatever else Hydaelyn decides is a threat worthy of her buffing us to take out.
WoL absolutely is Eorzean Superperson, but only in select situations. Otherwise, yeah, they're just a highly skilled adventurer.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

That all said, the Blessing has been getting beat to hell long enough that it's probably not doing too much for us anymore, we've heard the whole "The strength of the Mothercrystal is waning!" rigmarole about a dozen times now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean it apparently allowed us to mainline several lethal doses of Light aether.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The blessing of light does things like block Ascians from just teleporting on top of us and ganking us or allow us to survive doses of lethal radiation. It's not a percentile increase to all our attack and defense stats. The WoL benefits from the blessing of light to live through a single Ultima, but they don't draw on the blessing of light to step out of an AoE telegraph or execute an oGCD.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The WoL has a naturally huge supply of personal aether which allows us to benefit from a lot of job stones.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ferrinus posted:

A) is literally what a Pokemon type advantage is though? We're immune to a class of moves that every primal, and only primal as far as we know, can use.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ferrinus posted:

The blessing of light does things like block Ascians from just teleporting on top of us and ganking us or allow us to survive doses of lethal radiation. It's not a percentile increase to all our attack and defense stats. The WoL benefits from the blessing of light to live through a single Ultima, but they don't draw on the blessing of light to step out of an AoE telegraph or execute an oGCD.

but they do draw on the echo and their naruto chakra batteryaether reserves to do those things in turn. what makes wol wol is being a triple-threat. crystal mom chose to pull for someone she knew contained the soul of a precognitive shitkicker to make absolutely sure that said person could do everything needed of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The echo has exactly zero combat utility.