Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want one more datapoint about which Atoms are usable, you need to be aware that the entire N5095 - N6005 Jasper Lake family has some microcode-related kernel panics in guest VMs that resulted in 33 pages of comedy as people reproduce it on every kernel under the sun and hardware from 20 different manufacturers: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vm-freezes-irregularly.111494.

I gave up and used mine as a physical box without any virtualization because of this.

Right! ARM and Realtek it is, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

okay, but seriously, though, what's the goldilocks zone for atoms that I can use for an OPNsense box, but won't either explode in 1.5-3 years or have i225/i226 issues? Or just wait? (because I just got done raging at trying to diagnose intermittent internet problems that turned out to be said i225/i226 issues at work, and was barking up the wrong tree as our modem being bunk for THE LONGEST TIME.)

Ugh, I switched to a cable modem with a 2.5G connection and it was flakey AF on my router's i225-B3 ports. I had to switch back to the older modem, it got so bad. In hindsight I wonder if it was the i225 ports freaking out. :/

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
Back in 2016, I was considering an Atom board and decided to go with a Xeon-D 1518 Supermicro board. I"m still running it as a VMware host and it's been rock solid hosting PFsense, Freenas, Ubiquiti, and HomeAssistant VMs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

phongn posted:

Ugh, I switched to a cable modem with a 2.5G connection and it was flakey AF on my router's i225-B3 ports. I had to switch back to the older modem, it got so bad. In hindsight I wonder if it was the i225 ports freaking out. :/
I thought I heard somewhere that the big issues with the i225/i226 are all to do with 2.5 gb mode. If you just limit them to 1 gb only they apparently work fine (and a quick google search seems to back this up). So as long as your internet is less than 1 gbit, then you can still use an i225 or i226 controller with any modem you like, but do not enable 2.5 gb mode on them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How many Intel client dies exist right now? Is everything from 12600 non-K on down the same Alder Lake die, so i3s have 8 disabled E cores, the N305 has 4 disabled P cores and so on?

There's some weird 1+4 and 2+8 mobile parts too. All the same?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Indiana_Krom posted:

I thought I heard somewhere that the big issues with the i225/i226 are all to do with 2.5 gb mode. If you just limit them to 1 gb only they apparently work fine (and a quick google search seems to back this up). So as long as your internet is less than 1 gbit, then you can still use an i225 or i226 controller with any modem you like, but do not enable 2.5 gb mode on them.

That was not the case for me, I have a motherboard with the third revision of the I225V chipset and it still would fail when connected at 1 Gbps. Not immediately, but sooner or later the connection would drop and the only fix was rebooting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Asus AM5 motherboard has Intel i225/i226 ethernet. :( At the moment I don’t use it because I have to use WiFi for my desktop, but some day…

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right! ARM and Realtek it is, then.

I’m eagerly awaiting the Zen3/4 equivalent of the ol PC Engines APU line to show up.

Maybe not Zen4. That platform is loving cursed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hearing rumors that Intel is changing its branding for its CPUs, dropping the "i" from the Core line

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m just imagining some altera and sever product managers dressing down the client product managers about how the lack of confusion is making them look bad and it has to stop right now.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's kind of gross how intel acts like one of those serial sexpests, any time they start getting dumped on and everyone has receipts, they swap up the naming scheme/product segmentation to conflate the past

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I dunno, I think n*Tel is some hip marketing, folks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember that intel dropped celeron and pentium in favor of "intel processor"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember they had to quit using the Atom brand because they completely poisoned it with dogshit products

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
We used an atom to power a simple label printing machine for small parcels at work, and it was still slow as dogshit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember they had to quit using the Atom brand because they completely poisoned it with dogshit products

They're about to poison their whole brand because Intel Processors are the new lowest end, the shorthand to avoid them will be "Whatever you do, don't get an Intel Processor."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

They're about to poison their whole brand because Intel Processors are the new lowest end, the shorthand to avoid them will be "Whatever you do, don't get an Intel Processor."

They're now good though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Imagine if they changed the branding whenever they had a big, meaningful architecture revamp.

When they add ecores: change the branding.

When they move to tiles: change the branding

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

When they get rid of ecores, because there are unresolved and potentially unresolvable scheduling isusues: Change the branding.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1653044141788483585?t=vCQxX34JA7YklYysWTvz9g&s=19

Intel: lol

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

so they are bringing back itanium as the ultra 2, 4 and 6?!?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Core i was never good naming but at least it was consistent for a long time. Like it was i7 for the 7th generation of something but then they turned it into 3 5 7 and then added another number for generation instead of going up to 8

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Intel 9i-15999v9 Ultra Core Pro.

KyloRenMore.gif

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don’t think much could be worse for mobile naming than what Intel and AMD already currently do, so honestly who care I guess?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cygni posted:

I don’t think much could be worse for mobile naming than what Intel and AMD already currently do, so honestly who care I guess?

Sure it could be, they could go with nvidia's model :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The spec code has been printed on the IHS ever since they got rid of the SKUs that had a known key (the SKU that gave us the 80386, et cetera), which was around the time the Pentium was introduced.

They could just use that, it's got as much meaning as anything else and at least it's easy to search for.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 1, 2023

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
In the future, there will be entire college courses studying the bizzaro naming schemes in computer hardware and how they affected product marketability in both the short and long term.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

quote:

As for the reason cited, an Intel Director says that the company is at an inflection point as development of next-gen client product progresses.

Well that clears that up

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Maybe they should inflect better more power efficient CPUs out of their rear end

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I hate when hardware companies change their naming conventions for no reason other than marketing dipshits inventing busywork to justify their continued employment

In fact I hate everything that changes for that reason. See also 80 percent of website redesigns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I will say I do like how Intel went to a single sign on with MS authentication for the dev stuff, even though I save passwords in 1password this is even easier.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean, Meteor Lake really is the biggest change they have done in a long time, probably since starting the Core naming? Seems like a good time to change the naming scheme that had really become awful anyway.

These are both Alder Lake mobile parts, which one of them has more cores: the Intel Core i5-1240P or the Intel Core i5-12450H?

Well its the 1240P, but the 12450H gets more power so its faster, unless its on battery or in a cheapo laptop and then its not. Also they are completely different dies, and the 1240P has a better GPU. Obviously.

Not saying whatever they come up with next will be better (see AMD's latest disasters), but what they have now is busted so I'm in favor a change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Embedded is even worse than mobile on both sides.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Methanar posted:

I hate when hardware companies change their naming conventions for no reason other than marketing dipshits inventing busywork to justify their continued employment

In fact I hate everything that changes for that reason. See also 80 percent of website redesigns.

Surely you don't mean the logo redesign from 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want one more datapoint about which Atoms are usable, you need to be aware that the entire N5095 - N6005 Jasper Lake family has some microcode-related kernel panics in guest VMs that resulted in 33 pages of comedy as people reproduce it on every kernel under the sun and hardware from 20 different manufacturers: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vm-freezes-irregularly.111494.

I gave up and used mine as a physical box without any virtualization because of this.

Is THAT loving why you can't swing a dead CAT5 cable without hitting a minipc with one in it on aliexpress or amazon?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is THAT loving why you can't swing a dead CAT5 cable without hitting a minipc with one in it on aliexpress or amazon?
the atom-based mini pc market took a hit when they started selling ryzen mini pcs that do things like that fine without falling on their face (granted, most of them that you'd use for that purpose cost about twice as much as atom mini pcs)

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Mental Hospitality posted:

Intel 9i-15999v9 Ultra Core Pro.

KyloRenMore.gif
Oh like the Broadwell era Xeons :v:

They ran out of numbers so they started going downwards in the range and adding letter to the end to denote ...something. Almost all even tens are medium core count 14 core chips, and almost all HCC chips are crammed in to the last 10 of the hundred, except when they're not. E5-46s have the numbering in a bit more sane manner, with E5-4669 (nice!) topping the range.

Granted, some of the chips were OEM only specials, like the E5-2696v4 (which is faster than the E5-2699v4/A/R parts). The core counts aren't consistent when it comes to E5s and E7s either, but at least E7s are consistently full parts with 24 cores.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I'll post this in one of the CPU threads because it seems like the least wrong thread for it...

I don't know poo poo about CPU architecture but I recall seeing a few images like the the one below recently, as well as being dragged into some PLC/industrial controls stuff at work lately it has got my curiosity going.

I've seen some images like this:

And read an article or two like this:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1821-how-cpus-are-designed-and-built/

Obviously that article series is a reasonably quick read, and i guess what I'm looking for is an approachable explanation of what's going on between that high level layout and the oodles of transistors and other devices.

I figure there is many layers of complexity between "this is a core" and "these are individual transistor" that might be interesting, but Idont even know where to start with terminology or what to look for?

Am I staring down a path of madness?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
If you're interested, then the above playlist builds a CPU up from individual gates (each of which is just a few transistors) - though some of the elements are only built once and shown, but an integrated chip is used in the final design instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mmkay posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
If you're interested, then the above playlist builds a CPU up from individual gates (each of which is just a few transistors) - though some of the elements are only built once and shown, but an integrated chip is used in the final design instead.

seconding this as a great way to build your understanding of computer hardware from the ground up