Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Byzantine is an incredibly useful term and I don't think there are too many people who know what the Byzantine Empire was and don't also know that the people who lived there considered themselves Romans and that the state itself was a continuation of the earlier Roman state, etc. I've seen far more historians use the term than not, even if it comes with a clarification, so they must agree too. Besides, the names we call people and places rarely match up with the names those people often use for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

We should just refer to them as the Romanoi to clarify things

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish that SOME PEOPLE hadn't reused the name so we could call it Romania. :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Romaniacs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I wish that SOME PEOPLE hadn't reused the name so we could call it Romania. :argh:

Yeah, about that, who was it that was asking about modern day people still identifying as Romans?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

What does that mean, though? In the context the history of western Europe, the empire post-Lombards is a very distinct entity from the Rome that features in their histories. The Rome that ruled the territory of western Europe, spread the Latin that seeded the languages people speak there now, built the institutions that laid some of the foundation for those nations, spread the religion to the whole area, and to whose legacy every drat feudal leader aspired to, was not the same Rome that saw all the west as barbarians to be manipulated during the intervals when they weren't actively attacking.

What is the value of the semantic refusal to differentiate them and their era from the rest of Roman history and the two other contemporary entities calling themselves Rome? It feels like attempting to defend the nationalistic prestige of a dead state.

I don't even know if they really get that short-shrifted treatment in history. I have a fair amount of gaps in my knowledge, but that's more from not having leaned of history in the context of that geographic area, same as how I have gaps in my knowledge of China's history. The people I feel like I should know more about are the muslim societies that keep popping up all over western European history, but people rarely talk about.

i mean, the indisputably roman empire certainly saw the germanic peoples who later became the ruling class of the west as barbarians to be manipulated during the intervals when they weren't actively attacking. that those barbarians were now squatting in half of the empire only intensified the disdain.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mantis42 posted:

Byzantine is an incredibly useful term and I don't think there are too many people who know what the Byzantine Empire was and don't also know that the people who lived there considered themselves Romans

Maybe among historians but I don’t think this is remotely true for the general population. I learned about the Byzantines when I was a kid from Age of Empires but I had no clue they were the same as the Eastern Roman Empire until...well over a decade later, probably actually when I got an SA account and read that for the first time in this very thread. To be fair I also had no clue the Holy Roman Empire was a thing either until way later since they’re called the Teutons in that game so maybe I’m just a bit dense, but I expect there are tons of people with similar stories. (Incidentally this is the reason I think paying attention to history in games is actually sorta important, it’s legitimately the primary source of understanding of this stuff for lots of people.)

Even beyond video games and internet comedy forums, while my Art History courses actually did go into Byzantine stuff fairly deep (although I went a lot deeper into art history than most people probably did), I don’t think they ever talked about their association with the Romans. It’s just a continuation out of Christian art.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the best available term since Romania is out and Medieval Rome is confusing is just Eastern Roman Empire. Including the eastern part once there's no west is a little odd but it's fine. There is that overlapping period when the west still exists, but the fall of the west doesn't really affect the east that much--I'd say the first major break point in the east is Phocas's usurpation that introduces that form of political violence to the east, which is well after the end of the western empire.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I'd rather read about byzantine history than post-republican Roman history. It's just a more interesting topic.

I especially like the part where the empire almost fell apart over an incredibly minor theological distinction that only makes sense in Greek

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right now I'm looking for a good 300s book, I just finished The Fate of Rome and he talked about how the modern scholarship (informed by archaeology) has come around to the 300s being possibly the strongest century of the empire's entire history and I am sadly lacking in knowledge.

cheetah7071 posted:

I especially like the part where the empire almost fell apart over an incredibly minor theological distinction that only makes sense in Greek

Man if you love people gettin' mad about nitpicking there's hardly anything better than early church history. It's the closest thing the ancient world has to the internet.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The heart of the disputation over Monophysitism/Nestorianism/Chalcedonianism was as much regional/political as theological. Basically whether the clergy of Alexandria or those of Antioch got to claim the doctrinal primacy over the rest of the empire. The Antiochian position (Nestorian) got slapped down and they broadly accepted Chalcedonian orthodoxy from then on, but the Alexandrians never did, despite a couple of imperial attempts to reconcile both sides to a middle position. The differences in belief were genuine and the arguments, however insane they might appear (esp. in translation) were from the heart. But a lot of the differences have to do with the tensions that came from Constantinople trying to assert its power over the distant provinces through the rising church hierarchy as the old-style curial (probably not the right word for the Greek provinces but idk what else to call) organization of civil society faded away.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was an actual civil war (maybe 2? I forget) over iconoclasm which is just nuts to me

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SlothfulCobra posted:

What does that mean, though? In the context the history of western Europe, the empire post-Lombards is a very distinct entity from the Rome that features in their histories. The Rome that ruled the territory of western Europe, spread the Latin that seeded the languages people speak there now, built the institutions that laid some of the foundation for those nations, spread the religion to the whole area, and to whose legacy every drat feudal leader aspired to, was not the same Rome that saw all the west as barbarians to be manipulated during the intervals when they weren't actively attacking.

What is the value of the semantic refusal to differentiate them and their era from the rest of Roman history and the two other contemporary entities calling themselves Rome? It feels like attempting to defend the nationalistic prestige of a dead state.

I'm not against periodization and giving nicknames to different periods, let alone noting distinct periods exist. But the issue is people take to literally calling the Eastern Roman Empire "The Byzantine Empire", proper noun and all.
And frankly part of your logic here is nationalist tinged for western Europe. "Oh that Rome isn't relevant to us so it's not the ROME Rome anymore at that point". It would be like calling the Roman Kingdom the "Latin Kingdom" because until the Romans expanded and started grabbing up Gaul, Britain, Iberia and so on it didn't really factor into wider western history.
Also what contemporary entities do you mean? The Western Empire? The HRE? The former is already differentiated with the y'know.... geographical titles both have. And the latter lol.

quote:

I don't even know if they really get that short-shrifted treatment in history. I have a fair amount of gaps in my knowledge, but that's more from not having leaned of history in the context of that geographic area, same as how I have gaps in my knowledge of China's history. The people I feel like I should know more about are the muslim societies that keep popping up all over western European history, but people rarely talk about.

In the context of bog standard history curriculums they fall in that same gap that medieval Islam does. It contributes to this western eurocentric history issue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Right now I'm looking for a good 300s book, I just finished The Fate of Rome and he talked about how the modern scholarship (informed by archaeology) has come around to the 300s being possibly the strongest century of the empire's entire history and I am sadly lacking in knowledge.

As far as contemporary authors go I associate Peter Heather with this view, but he hasn’t really written about the 4th century as such afaik. He starts his history of the Fall with the Gothic war.

cheetah7071 posted:

There was an actual civil war (maybe 2? I forget) over iconoclasm which is just nuts to me

The iconoclasms are probably best understood as a general social response to the empire getting its geopolitical poo poo kicked in during the 8th/9th centuries and various people concluding that something had to change because God was obviously upset. There weren’t major civil wars about them in the sense of ideologically opposed leaders fighting for monarchy under their doctrine, it’s more like a lot of civil unrest and sometimes violent tension between church and state. There were still civil wars during iconoclastic periods, but this is Rome we’re talking about, there were civil wars as often as not.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

General European history post-476 is very poor at covering anything east of the Holy Roman Empire. It's not just Rome. One of the great empires of the later middle ages and early modern period was the various incarnations of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and how often does that get mentioned outside of internet nationalists demanding winged hussars in every game?

Yeah, I know I mentioned it kind of being a "Catholic/Protestant Europe history getting all the focus", but Catholic Eastern Europe gets ignored real bad too. I remember hearing about the Hungarians a bit, but only in the context of them being horse raiders bashing up against the eastern areas of the Frankish realm.
And of course the other big gap left by ignoring the Orthodox world aside from the Balkans/Anatolia in that period is the emergence of Russia. Like ok sure, more general history can slide by Romania or Bulgaria, but Russia? C'mon.

Koramei posted:

Maybe among historians but I don’t think this is remotely true for the general population. I learned about the Byzantines when I was a kid from Age of Empires but I had no clue they were the same as the Eastern Roman Empire until...well over a decade later,

lol this is loving exactly copy/pasted from my life.
Followed by the odd realization that I had never at any point thought to wonder what the Greeks had been up to after all that ancient statue stuff, and before the modern thing with the spinning meats and plate breaking.

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 5, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grape posted:

Yeah, I know I mentioned it kind of being a "Catholic/Protestant Europe history getting all the focus", but Catholic Eastern Europe gets ignored real bad too. I remember hearing about the Hungarians a bit, but only in the context of them being horse raiders bashing up against the eastern areas of the Frankish realm.
And of course the other big gap left by ignoring the Orthodox world aside from the Balkans/Anatolia in that period is the emergence of Russia. Like ok sure, more general history can slide by Romania or Bulgaria, but Russia? C'mon.

I was kinda amazed playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance -- for all its foibles -- at how much that era and region of history had just *poofed* from anything I'd ever read of European history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

Maybe among historians but I don’t think this is remotely true for the general population. I learned about the Byzantines when I was a kid from Age of Empires but I had no clue they were the same as the Eastern Roman Empire until...well over a decade later, probably actually when I got an SA account and read that for the first time in this very thread. To be fair I also had no clue the Holy Roman Empire was a thing either until way later since they’re called the Teutons in that game so maybe I’m just a bit dense, but I expect there are tons of people with similar stories. (Incidentally this is the reason I think paying attention to history in games is actually sorta important, it’s legitimately the primary source of understanding of this stuff for lots of people.)

Even beyond video games and internet comedy forums, while my Art History courses actually did go into Byzantine stuff fairly deep (although I went a lot deeper into art history than most people probably did), I don’t think they ever talked about their association with the Romans. It’s just a continuation out of Christian art.

I also learned about the Byzantines from Age of Kings and also turbonerded into Art History, and did a bunch of art history presentations comparing greco-roman and byantine art with the point that maybe there are better words for all of those things.

So my point is frankly don't know, but I think late eastern roman would be more logical than totally different word that is also an unrelated adjective.

E: Semi-related

The Byzantine Empire was assuredly byzantine

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a bit of a case to be made that once the Roman Empire entity no longer included the actual city of Rome that maybe a different name is in order, even if just for clarity in discussion. And if we're talking the continuity of some "Roman Identity" past that point, remember that "Roman Identity" is as diverse as "Roman History," so we'll still need some kind of distinguishing terminology.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
What about calling it Byzantine Rome?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

CommonShore posted:

There's a bit of a case to be made that once the Roman Empire entity no longer included the actual city of Rome that maybe a different name is in order, even if just for clarity in discussion. And if we're talking the continuity of some "Roman Identity" past that point, remember that "Roman Identity" is as diverse as "Roman History," so we'll still need some kind of distinguishing terminology.

I really don't accept the idea that what made the Roman Empire a thing was the city. Even before the split Constantinople had become more relevant and powerful after all.
As for clarity, part of the whole issue is that for people who aren't in the know stuff like calling it something entirely different does the exact opposite of provide clarity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FishFood posted:

What about calling it Byzantine Rome?

The eastern empire reconquered and controlled Rome for a while so that would have issues too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

The eastern empire reconquered and controlled Rome for a while so that would have issues too.

That period would be Roman Byzantine Rome

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grape posted:

That period would be Roman Byzantine Rome

Eastern Roman Byzantine Roman Exarchate Duchy of Exarchate of Ravenna Empire.

E: Exarch is still my favorite title for a government official ever.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Fromage posted:

I get that, but the capital remained Constantinople, and wasn't it just for a while under Justinian?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FishFood posted:

I get that, but the capital remained Constantinople, and wasn't it just for a while under Justinian?

It was for a couple of centuries. The eastern empire doesn't get kicked entirely out of Italy again until.. the 11th century I think? 11th or 12th. If someone wrote "Byzantine Rome" without any context I would presume it was referring to the city of Rome during the time it was under the eastern empire's control.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It doesn't matter if the residents of 1200 AD Constantinople didn't call themselves "Byzantine" in their daily lives for the same reason that it doesn't matter that residents of 2018 AD Dusseldorf don't call themselves "German" in their daily lives.

:colbert:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Romaniacs

We are the Romaniacs
And we're Christian to the max
So just sit back and relax,
You'll pray til you collapse
We're Romaniacs!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Eastern Roman Byzantine Roman Exarchate Duchy of Exarchate of Ravenna Empire.

Church titles > secular titles. Archimandrites and hieromonks!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

FishFood posted:

Rome was held under Justinian from the mid 550's until Leo the Isaurian effectively lost control of the Exarchate of Ravenna in the 730-740's. So a good while held under by the ERE. They managed to hold onto southern Italy more or less until 1071.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 5, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Empress Irene blinded her son over it!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Roman Empire stopped having their capital in Rome in the 200's, under Diocletian. Literally 200 years before the "fall of Rome". It was a city that was important for cultural, religious, and historical reasons, but Rome wasn't the center of government after the 3rd century crisis. There were 1500 years of Roman Empire and they only involved actual Rome for 2-300 of them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Don't forget, New Zealand and the Roman Empire fought a common enemy. People get a slightly panicky look when you bring that up.

Anyway, seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the bit about discovering Byzantium through Age of Empires. I still remember, as an awkward teenager in a sport-obsessed town, reading in the in-game encyclopedia about this luxury-and-learning-obsessed empire that had zero qualms bribing its enemies if that was cheaper than stabbing them, and thinking, these are my people.

Grand Fromage posted:

Absolutely.

skasion posted:

Church titles > secular titles. Archimandrites and hieromonks!

Although....

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Don't forget, New Zealand and the Roman Empire fought a common enemy. People get a slightly panicky look when you bring that up.

Who? The Emus?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Refugees?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Who? The Emus?

The Ottomans.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Fromage posted:

The Ottomans.

Yep! And Australia and New Zealand are different places, guys...

e: and now I want an alt-history pulp novel where Justinian, instead of getting monks to smuggle silkworms out of China, sinks his efforts into despatching a fleet to Australia.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 5, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Who? The Emus?

Emus are Australian!!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

A human heart posted:

Emus are Australian!!

Is that why they fought New Zealand?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

Yep! And Australia and New Zealand are different places, guys...

e: and now I want an alt-history pulp novel where Justinian, instead of getting monks to smuggle silkworms out of China, sinks his efforts into despatching a fleet to Australia.

Just play Civ VI and make that history. (You'll have to settle for Trajan though, Byzantium is not in that version (yet?))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh right, because of Gallipoli and so on.