Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

neogeo0823 posted:

So did your coworker get the job?

Hell no. I could have called him god's gift to engineering and waxed poetic about a time when he built a functioning transmitter out of an old Barbie and a slug covered twig and he still wouldn't have because he bombed the goddamn phone interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

A guy here is applying at another station as an assistant broadcast engineer. The CE there wants to talk to our CE, and apparently everyone has cooked up a plan to have that call forwarded to me to pretend I'm the CE, since the real one is a fuckwad.

No one told me this until he called.

That was a fun conversation.

You are the gift that keeps on giving :allears: and your station is going to burn down once you leave.

In other news I somehow got my thumb jammed between a Nexsan E60 and the rack. It was so sudden I let out a rather terrifying howl that scared my coworkers half to death. I fixed it with a paper towel and a velcro tie.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Hell no. I could have called him god's gift to engineering and waxed poetic about a time when he built a functioning transmitter out of an old Barbie and a slug covered twig and he still wouldn't have because he bombed the goddamn phone interview.

How?

So that others may improve.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

Well, are you thinking of working there eventually? Sounds like you should.

Coincidentally I am, yes. Or another company. It's not terrible here (in my department, the overall environment is still pretty nice) but it's inching in that direction.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

pr0digal posted:

You are the gift that keeps on giving :allears: and your station is going to burn down once you leave.

In other news I somehow got my thumb jammed between a Nexsan E60 and the rack. It was so sudden I let out a rather terrifying howl that scared my coworkers half to death. I fixed it with a paper towel and a velcro tie.

You velcro tied your thumb back on?

As much as I love velcro, that sounds like a job for stitches dude.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Potato Alley posted:

You velcro tied your thumb back on?

As much as I love velcro, that sounds like a job for stitches dude.

In the spirit of Halloween I Frankensteined myself back together :spooky:

It ended up not being that bad (thank god) so I used the velcro and paper towel as a makeshift bandaid until I got my hands on one.

Not my proudest moment

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 29, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

pr0digal posted:

Not my proudest moment

Huge props for using Velcro instead of zip ties.

gently caress zip ties forever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

Problem is, everyone knows you are supposed to use electrical tape to reattach severed digits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roargasm posted:

Why do you need managed wireless access points? If you set them up right you should only have to touch them once.

I suppose it could work for a single AP. But when you're deploying APs in large numbers, you definitely need systems that will support 802.11r or you will have a bad time. That's usually found on Enterprise class APs.

Managed wireless also adds additional functionality like flexible p-caps (wireless, bridge connections, trunk captures), centralized config management, more robust VLAN support, multiple BSSIDs, automatic RF-Tuning, logging... the list goes on and on.

EDIT: God drat I'm an idiot. I read it as serious. loving poo poo week and lack of sleep. Sorry.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 29, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sup improvised first aid buddy. :hf:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

I think I've got a pretty good in as a sysadmin at a particular factory

I only buy bespoke artisanal particulars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Agrikk posted:

Was supervising a cabling/antenna install the other day and the guy went for his zip ties on a bundle of wires that is already velcro'd and I told him I'd hang him from the rafters if he tried that poo poo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

go3 posted:

I'd hang him from the rafters if he tried that poo poo
...Using his own zip ties.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

flosofl posted:

I suppose it could work for a single AP. But when you're deploying APs in large numbers, you definitely need systems that will support 802.11r or you will have a bad time. That's usually found on Enterprise class APs.

Managed wireless also adds additional functionality like flexible p-caps (wireless, bridge connections, trunk captures), centralized config management, more robust VLAN support, multiple BSSIDs, automatic RF-Tuning, logging... the list goes on and on.

EDIT: God drat I'm an idiot. I read it as serious. loving poo poo week and lack of sleep. Sorry.

Ahaha no it's my bad I think I'm done being sarcastic on the internet. You can officially take me seriously unless I'm using emotes

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

While this guy is an over sharer, I would rather get tickets with more info than my usual "the internet is borken" type.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

While this guy is an over sharer, I would rather get tickets with more info than my usual "the internet is borken" type.

I get tickets that just say "It's not working!"

They go to the bottom of the pile because honestly gently caress those people.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, which one of you did 50 Nerds of Grey?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

neogeo0823 posted:

So, which one of you did 50 Nerds of Grey?

"He asked if her name was Buffalo, because she was about to get filled to 95% capacity."

"She stared in awe at his vast collection of toys. She picked one up and noticed the name etched in the base: 'Etherblast.'"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

"He asked if her name was Buffalo, because she was about to get filled to 95% capacity."

:drat:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

"She stared in awe at his vast collection of toys. She picked one up and noticed the name etched in the base: 'Etherblast.'"

:vince:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Her worried look belied the excitement she felt as the blindfold was placed over her eyes.

"What's the safe word?"

She tensed as she felt his warm breath against her ear, "That doesn't concern you, right now."

He then commenced pleasuring himself as she sat by and shitposted on an internet comedy forum.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

larchesdanrew posted:

Her worried look belied the excitement she felt as the blindfold was placed over her eyes.

"What's the safe word?"

She tensed as she felt his warm breath against her ear, "That doesn't concern you, right now."

He then commenced pleasuring himself as she sat by and shitposted on an internet comedy forum.

I salute your ability to deal with your job and make it funny for the rest of us.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Our internal developer is going on and on about how good Salesforce is to a room full of people who hate Salesforce.

It's not a drat ticketing platform and the mobile app is a pile of hot poo poo. Though I came from Zendesk so I'm even more jaded.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our team has declared one of the apps we use internally to be a piece of poo poo, and has taken it upon himself to talk to a vendor about a replacement without really knowing the requirements.

He's been here 3 months :jerkbag:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

pr0digal posted:

Our internal developer is going on and on about how good Salesforce is to a room full of people who hate Salesforce.

It's not a drat ticketing platform and the mobile app is a pile of hot poo poo. Though I came from Zendesk so I'm even more jaded.

It isnt, which is why you add remedyforce to your salesforce.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like one of those scenarios with the punchline of "and now you have two problems".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our team has declared one of the apps we use internally to be a piece of poo poo, and has taken it upon himself to talk to a vendor about a replacement without really knowing the requirements.

Sounds like someone is about to learn a lesson.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless he's right. I'm sure he's not, but you know, sometimes we get stuck in a Stockholm Syndrome thing with lovely software, people, and policies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well one major feature of the software we use at the moment is that it integrates nicely with another system we use, and the new thing doesn't/won't.

I agree, nothing wrong with bringing fresh perspective to a role, but this is firmly in "new guy says everything was done better at his last job" territory.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Somewhere, the worlds tiniest violin is playing.

Edit: Yes, I know every single way to recover unsaved documents from a Word crash. All that does is teach users that they don't have to save their work, because the IT monkeys will fix it for them. Save your work.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evobatman posted:

Somewhere, the worlds tiniest violin is playing.

Edit: Yes, I know every single way to recover unsaved documents from a Word crash. All that does is teach users that they don't have to save their work, because the IT monkeys will fix it for them. Save your work.

They blew off an important assignment. You're the scapegoat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:spergin: I can't edit this order help sos!?
:butt: OK let---:spergin: DON'T COME IN HERE YET IT SMELLS LIKE poo poo I JUST FARTED

[intermission, kahvia ja pullaa]

:spergin: OK the smell's gone now.
:butt: What error message does it give you when you try to edit the order?
:spergin: It says I can't proceed because someone else is editing it.
:butt: In that case I bet you can't edit it because someone else is editing it.
:spergin: Oh OK that makes sense, thanks!
:ocelot::butt:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

perkele

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A fire came in:

gently caress cheap molex to sata adapters. Also, the disk is fried.

(Although, it was a brand new disk, so I can't rule out it was being faulty.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Either there's a dead short in that cable or the drive drew far too much current through it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ok, Jerry Cotton's shitposts finally won me over.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I know how much everyone loves dysfunctional broadcast stations, came in the building to this passive aggressive note to all on air talent from our gm (cell pic so huge)

"You will be number one on my hit list" :stare:

Also he basically wants us to sound like an automated station even though the principle behind our station is that we're NOT.

Oh and did I mention he's been in the building maybe 3 hours total this week?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Four letter word at least means "poo poo" and "gently caress", not "word" or "four", right? Right? :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The guy doesn't like four letter words of profanity, so presumably stuff like "motherfucker" are acceptable.

He's just bored of hearing the same old boring stuff guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

AlphaKretin posted:

Four letter word at least means "poo poo" and "gently caress", not "word" or "four", right? Right? :negative:

FCC regs determine what language can be on your station, of course, but "hell" and "drat" are generally ignored by most stations but he's a Good Christian so only Christian programs on Sunday can say hell or drat.

This makes sense because,

• Locked thread