Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
his majima voice is better than his joker voice why ruin whats already great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MotU posted:

his majima voice is better than his joker voice why ruin whats already great

Sorry, but one of the achievements of the Yakuza dub was the fact that it somehow managed to have Mark Hamil give a lackluster VA performance for a character like Majima.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the last page was a thing of exquisite horror, well done all

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Len posted:

Which style were they?

Ball in cup type and melt the ice block type.

She also just showed me that if you stand under a bee hive with a lit torch the bees fly away and you can take the honey safely, which was pretty mind blowing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Immortal: Unchained is a ranged combat action RPG with all the clunkiness that implies, but it's a very fun game and it's a huge passion project for the developers. They took the time to put in some fun easter eggs should some very unfortunate circumstances befall your character, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9zk5PvVBFA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hirayuki posted:

Please treat me favorably!

This is harsh, evaluate me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Smash Ultimate there are shops, and you know usually you enter a shop, the shopkeep greets you, and when you leave they say something? Well you can just look at what they have and if you don't like it, while their greeting is still up you can hit B and it immediately takes you out of the shop, no farewell given. Saves precious seconds that my millennial mind freaks out over.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Immortal: Unchained is a ranged combat action RPG with all the clunkiness that implies, but it's a very fun game and it's a huge passion project for the developers. They took the time to put in some fun easter eggs should some very unfortunate circumstances befall your character, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9zk5PvVBFA

cool dark souls reskin

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Joke's on you, they've worn that on their sleeve from the beginning.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leal posted:

In Smash Ultimate there are shops, and you know usually you enter a shop, the shopkeep greets you, and when you leave they say something? Well you can just look at what they have and if you don't like it, while their greeting is still up you can hit B and it immediately takes you out of the shop, no farewell given. Saves precious seconds that my millennial mind freaks out over.

Ungrateful kids!
/
:shopkeeper:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

Joke's on you, they've worn that on their sleeve from the beginning.

Serious question- how would you rate this as compared to The Surge?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leal posted:

Even better there are little icons on the bottom telling you what type of items are for sale and if they are new.
Looking for spirits? Hover over the shop and see if they have any without going inside.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Serious question- how would you rate this as compared to The Surge?

It's good! It definitely takes some getting used to and you should absolutely play it with mouse/keyboard for that sweet free-aiming capability, but the concept of "An action RPG in the style of Souls but with ranged combat" is really novel and pays off for them well. It's got a bit of clunkiness behind it because it is just on the border between indie and not indie, but if you can get it for ~20 bucks like I did, that is a perfect price for it.

edit: I guess I didn't answer the initial question, sorry. I'd say it's a little less good than The Surge but it's still an admirable try at replicating the magic that saw the Souls games catch lightning in a bottle. The influence is undeniable, but they haven't denied it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Dec 10, 2018

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, no matter how many (or how expensive the) items I buy the shopkeepers always react like I have just completely wasted their time and pissed in their cheerios. It's probably a bug but I like to think every retailer in the DX universe is just canonically surly.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

aardwolf posted:

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, no matter how many (or how expensive the) items I buy the shopkeepers always react like I have just completely wasted their time and pissed in their cheerios. It's probably a bug but I like to think every retailer in the DX universe is just canonically surly.

"I have tranqulizer darts for 800, a rifle scope for 1200 and a bag of chips for 700."
"I'll take the bag of chips for 700"
"So much for the minimal force approach."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just noticed that in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 the characters alternate between superhero and real names whether they know them or not in the comics.

So if Ryu is tagging in Wolverine, he'll shout "Wolverine!" but if Storm is tagging him in she'll shout "Logan!".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Went back to Pokemon Colosseum for Nostalgia, just cleared out the Shadow Pokemon in Pyrite Town Square (loving Misdreavous was such an annoying one to catch, but she's mine now!).

I really like that game's setting and atmosphere, and it has great music, even if the villain designs can get stupid. Don't get me wrong though, Miror B owns. I also love the sheer variety that the game throws a you, you get many different types and shapes of pokemon and get to skip right to the cool ones.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 11, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

It's good! It definitely takes some getting used to and you should absolutely play it with mouse/keyboard for that sweet free-aiming capability, but the concept of "An action RPG in the style of Souls but with ranged combat" is really novel and pays off for them well. It's got a bit of clunkiness behind it because it is just on the border between indie and not indie, but if you can get it for ~20 bucks like I did, that is a perfect price for it.

edit: I guess I didn't answer the initial question, sorry. I'd say it's a little less good than The Surge but it's still an admirable try at replicating the magic that saw the Souls games catch lightning in a bottle. The influence is undeniable, but they haven't denied it!

Well then, looks like I've got something to pick up during the Christmas sale!

EDIT: I've always been a M+KB guy, so that's an extra selling point!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Picked up EDF 5 today. Still the corny nonsense that makes the series great. Conversations that make little to no sense, hammy voice acting, explosions and bug guts all over the place. Runs at a rpetty smooth framerate, too.

My favourite part thus far, however, is the female voice actress for the Air Raider class. See, you can sing an entire song of what is essentially the EDF anthem...but this voice actress can't sing. Terrible at it. But it's so entertaining to hear her sing the entire song with such gusto.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I actually completely forgot edf 5 was coming out. Does it still have the armor problem? I enjoyed 4.1 but the armor was probably the biggest reason I stopped.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Smash Bros implementing holding B to go back is a nice change that can save some time/effort from scrolling across the screen and prevents accidentally backing out as well.

CordlessPen posted:

This is crazy, I just discovered that channel and started watching some of the videos, but was thinking of giving up because there's like an entire day of content on there, the playlist isn't ordered and his videos reference things that I have no idea about. In the "Imperium of man" video (or the one for the Emperor?), he says it's the third one of the series, but it's like the 10th in the playlist, and already it's talking about Crusades and Heresy and things in not-actually-latin that I have no clue about.

Is there an order to those that you could recommend? I'd really like to watch the whole thing, but as it is, I keep droning off because I can't understand 80% of them.

I said I’d give you a rough order when I finished all the videos and that’s an ongoing process. That aside, the fellow that makes them finally made an ordered playlist that address your problem exactly. So go enjoy and try not to fall too deeply in that hole.

Warbird has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Dec 12, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want to gush a bit about Furi but this isn't the "post really cool games" thread. I do want to call out the way it structures its fights though. You and the boss both have a standard healthbar, and then a set of lives beneath that (3 for you, a variable number for the boss depending on who they are). If you run out of health, then you lose a life, the boss's healthbar refills, and the boss restarts their current attack pattern. Lose all lives and the fight starts over. Whenever the boss loses a life, they advance to their next attack pattern. Patterns alternate between zoomed-out (using a large arena, attacks with big windups / area of effect, lots of projectiles, etc.) and zoomed-in (you can only move in a small area around the boss, and their attacks are smaller but faster). Every time you clear a zoomed-in phase you regain all your health and you regain a life.

For a hard game, this is almost shockingly lenient. I would fully have expected the game to just say "you get three lives, and be glad I'm not instantly killing you when you get hurt." But it really works very well, at least for me as a first-time player, because even though I'm getting my rear end handed to me, I'm still able to make progress, and I can get to the later phases and still feel like I have a chance because of that health refill and extra life. It's a lot more rewarding, for me, to beat a boss after having been ragdolled by it a few times, than it is to practice until I have the boss first four attack patterns down cold so they no longer pose any threat to me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It is also a loving rad game, gameplay, visuals and audio

Also feels very good when you slowly start to recognize patterns in the hardest bosses and exploiting them

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zoig posted:

I actually completely forgot edf 5 was coming out. Does it still have the armor problem? I enjoyed 4.1 but the armor was probably the biggest reason I stopped.

There's still a grind for armour, if that's what you mean, but there are quality of life improvements around pickups:

- Weapons now have semi-random stats on them. Picking up the same weapon more than once upgrades the one you already have, if any of the stats are better. You'll never end up with lower stats. This makes it much less likely that you'll complete a mission and get nothing, because there are tonnes of incremental upgrades that can make even lower level weapons pretty good.
- You get drops (weapons and armour) for other classes, too, so you don't have to start completely from scratch.
- If you fail a mission, you still get a percentage of loot you picked up (100% on easy, 75% on normal, 50% on hard, 25% on hardest and nothing on inferno), so when you've done one of those huge battles that takes 30 minutes or more to beat but gently caress up, you don't walk away empty handed. This also means you can stick it on easy and grind armour without much of an issue.

Other things I like:

- Hectors are gone, replaced by giant frogmen aliens. You can shoot off their limbs,
meaning that they can't shoot and/or walk (though I think they regrow if you leave them alive for too long). They're typically much more agile than hectors ever were, and dodge about a bit. They also look uncannily like Nigel Farage.
- Bug goo splatters everywhere when you shoot them. Nearby buildings will be splattered with gross greeny-brown and purple goo.
- All classes have some kind of boost/dodge now. This is especially useful on the wing driver.
- Completing a mission also marks it as complete on any lower difficulty levels, whereas in 2017/2025/4.1 you had to complete it on Easy as well as Normal in order for it to count as completion progress.
- Hugely improved framerate. I'm on a pro and have barely seen a dip, though my friends on regular PS4s say that they have had it more. Though in a way I feel like it's not really EDF without single digit framerates when everything is going to poo poo.

Bad things:

- They STILL haven't made it so that you can pick stuff up before a mission ends, so the usual tedious strategy of 'kill all the NPCs, leave one enemy alive and run round getting stuff' is still necessary. However, since everyone has hugely increased mobility this isn't quite such a big deal as before.
- The song is by far the worst change. It's a crappy song with awful meter that isn't as funny as the EDF's version of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

In conclusion: owns, GOTY this year and all years until there's a better EDF.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's also a much bigger feeling of being part of something more than just your typical one-man army. Other soldiers are a little tougher than paper this time around, resulting in huge pitched battles where there are just bullets flying all over the place from groups of soldiers, with dozens of ants/spiders/frogs swarming your position, tanks firing from a little further back, air divers zipping back and forth above you and just absolute chaos all over the place. It's awesome.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

- Weapons now have semi-random stats on them. Picking up the same weapon more than once upgrades the one you already have, if any of the stats are better. You'll never end up with lower stats. This makes it much less likely that you'll complete a mission and get nothing, because there are tonnes of incremental upgrades that can make even lower level weapons pretty good.

I think this is really really cool and lots of loot games should do it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

It is also a loving rad game, gameplay, visuals and audio

Also feels very good when you slowly start to recognize patterns in the hardest bosses and exploiting them

Yeah, if you're the one who recommended it earlier on, thanks for doing so.

The best part is I wishlisted it on Steam and the next day it was 50% off.

I will say that it's not a very relaxing game though! I can handle about one fight per evening, and after that I'm worn out because they require such intense focus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Furi is one of the only games I've ever ragequit and both times were at the invisible sniper boss.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
She's the brick wall for a lot of people, yea.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Warbird posted:

I said I’d give you a rough order when I finished all the videos and that’s an ongoing process. That aside, the fellow that makes them finally made an ordered playlist that address your problem exactly. So go enjoy and try not to fall too deeply in that hole.

Haha, thanks so much for the heads up and for following up on that, I'll get started right away! Cheers!

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Dec 13, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a pretty funny character in Pokemon Colosseum who I really like: optional boss Mirakle B, Miror B's self-styled successor. if you return to where a Miror B fight was you find Mirakle there with stronger, more varied pokemon.
Their music is pretty great too:

Miror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI

Mirakle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZoqGBFdWf8

Mirakle's music is just an out of tune version of Miror's. That's funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just Cause 4 might look like poo poo graphics wise, but at least the devs understood the best part of the game is chaos via tether fuckery and added both a lifting balloon and thruster to your tether options. It’s fun as hell stringing people up and rocketing them around.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

There's still a grind for armour, if that's what you mean, but there are quality of life improvements around pickups:

- You get drops (weapons and armour) for other classes, too, so you don't have to start completely from scratch.
- If you fail a mission, you still get a percentage of loot you picked up (100% on easy, 75% on normal, 50% on hard, 25% on hardest and nothing on inferno), so when you've done one of those huge battles that takes 30 minutes or more to beat but gently caress up, you don't walk away empty handed. This also means you can stick it on easy and grind armour without much of an issue.

Other things I like:

- Hectors are gone, replaced by giant frogmen aliens. You can shoot off their limbs,
meaning that they can't shoot and/or walk (though I think they regrow if you leave them alive for too long). They're typically much more agile than hectors ever were, and dodge about a bit. They also look uncannily like Nigel Farage.
- Bug goo splatters everywhere when you shoot them. Nearby buildings will be splattered with gross greeny-brown and purple goo.
- All classes have some kind of boost/dodge now. This is especially useful on the wing driver.
- Completing a mission also marks it as complete on any lower difficulty levels, whereas in 2017/2025/4.1 you had to complete it on Easy as well as Normal in order for it to count as completion progress.
- Hugely improved framerate. I'm on a pro and have barely seen a dip, though my friends on regular PS4s say that they have had it more. Though in a way I feel like it's not really EDF without single digit framerates when everything is going to poo poo.

Bad things:

- They STILL haven't made it so that you can pick stuff up before a mission ends, so the usual tedious strategy of 'kill all the NPCs, leave one enemy alive and run round getting stuff' is still necessary. However, since everyone has hugely increased mobility this isn't quite such a big deal as before.
- The song is by far the worst change. It's a crappy song with awful meter that isn't as funny as the EDF's version of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

In conclusion: owns, GOTY this year and all years until there's a better EDF.

Right, that's more than good enough for me to consider buying it later, thanks!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I' slowly realizing how great this is, so I'm gonna say it: A great little thing about Smash Bros. Ultimate is the thing everyone's complaining about, that someone's preferred ruleset for a fight is chosen at random among participants.

The way Smash's competitive community has so heavily standardized what's legal to take away 'unfair' elements kinda homogenizes some characters and playstyles out of relevance. Which is a shame, because honestly, there's a ton of interesting stuff you can do that just isn't viable or available in the narrow ruleset provided for competitive. So it's great that in quickplay, you only have a chance of playing by your specific ruleset. There's either a 50%, 66% or 75% chance you're playing by somebody else's rules, and that means different strategies start becoming viable.

And I've started realizing that's something that some people just can't handle, and it's hilarious. When they turn up on different stages than they expect, and there are items dropping, it doesn't even matter if they're good items; some people just break.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I haven't played Smash literally since the N64 original but that sounds fantastic and something I'd welcome in fighting games in general.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

There's also a much bigger feeling of being part of something more than just your typical one-man army. Other soldiers are a little tougher than paper this time around, resulting in huge pitched battles where there are just bullets flying all over the place from groups of soldiers, with dozens of ants/spiders/frogs swarming your position, tanks firing from a little further back, air divers zipping back and forth above you and just absolute chaos all over the place. It's awesome.

This is true.

It's cool that you're not the leader of the elite squad, you're just some civilian that got wrapped up in the fighting when crazy poo poo started going down. And it turned out that you are amazing at killing giant bugs and frogs.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Guys please stop I can't buy a full priced game UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cleretic posted:

I' slowly realizing how great this is, so I'm gonna say it: A great little thing about Smash Bros. Ultimate is the thing everyone's complaining about, that someone's preferred ruleset for a fight is chosen at random among participants.

The way Smash's competitive community has so heavily standardized what's legal to take away 'unfair' elements kinda homogenizes some characters and playstyles out of relevance. Which is a shame, because honestly, there's a ton of interesting stuff you can do that just isn't viable or available in the narrow ruleset provided for competitive. So it's great that in quickplay, you only have a chance of playing by your specific ruleset. There's either a 50%, 66% or 75% chance you're playing by somebody else's rules, and that means different strategies start becoming viable.

And I've started realizing that's something that some people just can't handle, and it's hilarious. When they turn up on different stages than they expect, and there are items dropping, it doesn't even matter if they're good items; some people just break.

That rules and it's especially funny as an ex-pro minor videogamesman because almost everyone I've ever met who insists on Items Only Final Destination only is guaranteed to suck at anything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've only played Smash briefly a few times at friends' places but the idea of having all these rules all the time seems entirely against the spirit and fun of the game.

Reminds me of the old lame arcade rules of not using throws in Street Fighter, or people's hissy fits about using Oddjob in Goldeneye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Lobok posted:

I've only played Smash briefly a few times at friends' places but the idea of having all these rules all the time seems entirely against the spirit and fun of the game.

Reminds me of the old lame arcade rules of not using throws in Street Fighter, or people's hissy fits about using Oddjob in Goldeneye.

Gamers don't want to just have fun, they want everyone else to not have fun too.