Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Those colors are not at all what I imagined for Egghead Island. I'd love to see a proper colorization of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

god loving drat it's so padded out even this is like twice as long as it needs to be

i still prefer this way of padding out climactic shots on the buildup and followthrough so they still punctuate correctly, vs the old way of padding out climactic shots with additional climactic punctuation that dilutes the impacts of key moments, literally and metaphorically. for example, luffy instantly busting up eneru’s final lightning bubble being a minutes long process in the anime, the notorious false clash with doflamingo, and this will probably be controversial but i think its a good example, the slow motion punching of saint charlos.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think overall the anime elevates the manga even if its easy to find isolated moments where it fails. if you are a fan of one piece its worth watching, and if youre lazy you should always at least watch the currently airing arc. the anime is always good to refresh you on things you may have missed or not realized were important on reading that stand out like a sore thumb when animated. i had considered lucci a consummate professional when reading the recent chapter where he relays everything thats happened on egghead to the gorosei, but seeing him just keep standing up after taking so much abuse from luffy last night made those later panels into an incredible punchline. i cant wait until the anime gets there

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Waffleman_ posted:

god loving drat it's so padded out even this is like twice as long as it needs to be

Animation is a visual medium

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a visual medium well done

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

luchadornado posted:

Those colors are not at all what I imagined for Egghead Island. I'd love to see a proper colorization of the manga.

Don't worry in 10 years The One Piece will get to it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

luchadornado posted:

It’s mood lighting for the battle, this is what it looks like normally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogldv9IpIRE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Official release
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/one-piece
the ending is totally the real Vegapunk brain in a massive jar pool creating the transmission "digitally" with it's immense processing power. Stella was a satellite made with the real body

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

oddium posted:

a visual medium well done

unfortunately in one piece it’s bloody rare

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nikumatic posted:

unfortunately in one piece it’s bloody rare

so far the egghead anime has been consistently good, just taking its time to avoid catching up to the manga

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i know i just wanted to steal the pun

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Happy birthday, Ucy. :)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

so far the egghead anime has been consistently good, just taking its time to avoid catching up to the manga

Speaking of I forget, how close are we to the Imu and Cobra scene now (mostly because I’m curious how they’re going to handle the former’s voice)?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Speaking of I forget, how close are we to the Imu and Cobra scene now (mostly because I’m curious how they’re going to handle the former’s voice)?

Imu: Shurororororororo!

rko
Jul 12, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

i think overall the anime elevates the manga even if its easy to find isolated moments where it fails.

I really enjoy the One Piece anime (it’s so relaxing and has a classic kind of terrible pacing), but it doesn’t ever “elevate” one of the best-crafted manga of all time.

All that craft makes it a real challenge to adapt. It’s gone on for so long and it’s so optimized for weekly/volume storytelling that it’s hard for me to believe any adaptation will ever try to be as “faithful” to the original as Toei. Maybe Oda will treat the new anime a bit like Toriyama got more involved with Super and the later DB movies; I’d be real interested in seeing what he would do in remastering the story after it was finished.

MorningMoon posted:

the ending is totally the real Vegapunk brain in a massive jar pool creating the transmission "digitally" with it's immense processing power. Stella was a satellite made with the real body

Given how much attention the seraphim have received, Vegapunk’s anime line about them being the ultimate life form given so much prominence, and York’s line about “new ‘sins’,” I wonder if it’s actually an S-Vega?

E: actually, the official translation doesn’t include any of that wordplay—she just says “If I add crime upon crime…it’ll only make it harder to get along with you folks!!” So probably not! Brain jar it is!

Larryb posted:

I checked this myself, and there’s still a healthy chunk or story left, with York’s heel turn/Labophase Death Game, Shanks vs. Captain Mid, and that great scene with Buggy declaring he’ll seek out the One Piece first.

rko fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 21, 2024

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Shanks vs Mid is something I could see the Anime's insane tendency to stretch things out forever actually working in its favor. Like, devote a full half of the episode to Kidd powering up and then have Shanks one-shot him in the last 5 seconds before the credits roll.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I mean I’d hope it’s longer. It’s not a single panel in a static format.

Jeez.

Edit: man, beaten.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Shanks vs Mid is something I could see the Anime's insane tendency to stretch things out forever actually working in its favor. Like, devote a full half of the episode to Kidd powering up and then have Shanks one-shot him in the last 5 seconds before the credits roll.

Make Shanks one-shot a single still image, just have him murder Kidd's animation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It does feel like a good scene to immediately smashcut to the “To Be Continued” screen from, yeah

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Love that Lucci got chumped as a way of showing how far Luffy has come, but still think it's odd he gets the zoan steam scarf. I know the answer is that Oda came up with it after the last arc, but feels weird he has it but Kaido didn't, and that he was apparently able to just train up to that level. Kind of diminishes something we've only seen people with 'god' powers have.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Kaido had it

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Sengoku is a loving scrub who cant even awaken his fruit smdh

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I watched an Internet video and now I’m convinced that the gurgle is Rocks D Xebec taking a poo poo, which is about to get real.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like when Luffy is zipping around at the speed of light near the end of his fight with Kaido

Gear 5...is the poo poo

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

I’m expecting a Vegapunk trap to take out or trap the 5 elders. This would leave a huge power vacuum in the world, the Navy in disarray. But a few factions.

That’d leave Imu and Akainu to protect the current status quo.
Garp and Coby as the new Navy.
Blackbeard and his crew.
Shanks and his crew.

If we are close to the end it would help to tie off a few narrative threads.

I was thinking that if it turns out Vegapunk is broadcasting the Elders' monster forms to the world, Imu might just go "welp cat's out of the bag, time for a new void century," erase the island and the Elders with it and go about trying to unmake the world with Uranus. That would certainly move things into the endgame efficiently .

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why would a broadcast of the Elders to the world result in anything more than 90% of people going 'wow cool Devil Fruits'

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If Joe Biden turned into a horrible bird demon on live TV I’d respect him 100 times more

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only agent of the wg who responded normally to seeing the transformed elders was kaku. lucci and every single marine were perfectly fine with it, if not in awe.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

lucci look like he just had a religious experience after talking to the Biden bird

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another idea about the end of the latest chapter: What if the gurgling sound is coming from a vat which creates more Vegapunk clones?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

luchadornado posted:

Though it's already been mentioned that it's darker lighting than normal for the battle, I should point out as well that I lowered the bitrate significantly to make it a reasonable filesize, and the color doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did in the original footage as a result, it just wasn't available online (that I could find) when I wanted to post the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jidMn2TMEys

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That looks... bad? Like, good animation, but they hold the "impact" for so long that it doesn't even really feel like the punch is connecting. There's no kinetic force to any of the movements.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only agent of the wg who responded normally to seeing the transformed elders was kaku. lucci and every single marine were perfectly fine with it, if not in awe.

One guy freaked out and died for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I don’t think Vegapunk’s reveal has anything to do with what is going on in Egghead right now or involves the Elder’s transformations. I imagine it’s more connected to the void century.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vegapunk is not a prophet. he had no way of predicting that all five of the elders would show up and start wrecking poo poo. of what is going on right now, the only thing he saw coming was the marines trying to execute bonney with pacifista. why is this certain? because if he had predicted kizaru showing up, or the elders attacking while immortal, or yorki's betrayal, he would have invented measures to handle those problems. instead, what he's got is a laser dome that doesn't work against the people attacking it, seraphim that the elders have priority control over, and a posthumous automated broadcast of unclear purpose.

really though, he probably should have predicted that kizaru would be there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

lucci look like he just had a religious experience after talking to the Biden bird

Yeah, no kidding. For Lucci, the guy who branded the World Government symbol on his back, talking with bird demon guy would be like seeing the literal face of God from his point of view.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That looks... bad? Like, good animation, but they hold the "impact" for so long that it doesn't even really feel like the punch is connecting. There's no kinetic force to any of the movements.

did you miss the part where he goes flying???

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Well, dude whose head exploded had his misgivings. One presumes such reactions weed themselves out over time.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
well the marines were told about saturn appearing and lucci was presumably told via den den mushi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Augus posted:

did you miss the part where he goes flying???

The part where he goes flying is so slow, and follows such a long held shot, that it doesn't feel like it properly conveys the strength of the punch, sorry.