Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Mac Hardware Megathread: have you upgraded to office 2016?

On this note, Housh, the Mac software thread is thisaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, I'm not moving over to the subscription model for office. gently caress that noise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I get an alumni email address for life from my uni (haven't attended in over 3 years) and as long as they keep paying for Office 365, I keep getting it. Free office for life, wooo!

But yeah, 2016 is the tits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Anyone else refuse to upgrade from Office 2011?

No. Office 2016 works great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

Anyone else refuse to upgrade from LibreOffice?
:q:

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Choadmaster posted:

You have a hardware problem. I'd put money on your SSD being hosed, but bad RAM can do similar poo poo. Disk Utility isn't going to help you here. If you're near an Apple Store, bring it in and they shouldn't have too much trouble confirming you have a problem. If you're not, call AppleCare again and demand to send it in for repair.

gently caress me. I didn't buy this from the Apple store because the closest one is quite a distance away and the local big box electronics store is around the corner. Those assholes aren't going to play easy with me returning it. Is there any way I can prove you're right?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I Am Crake posted:

gently caress me. I didn't buy this from the Apple store because the closest one is quite a distance away and the local big box electronics store is around the corner. Those assholes aren't going to play easy with me returning it. Is there any way I can prove you're right?

You still would want to isolate software before looking to return it. Worst case is its hardware and Apple will replace it for free under warranty. Not the notebook but the parts.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I Am Crake posted:

For what it's worth the big box is probably going to be of zero help getting any issues sorted out. Service issues are in Apple's court.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

For what it's worth the big box is probably going to be of zero help getting any issues sorted out. Service issues are in Apple's court.

Best Buy would try to restore it to factory before returning t wouldn't they?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

I Am Crake posted:

In your situation it seems like the simplest/quickest thing to do would be to return it and buy a new one. You've had it for less than a couple weeks, are you sure they're going to give you poo poo about returning it? Most chain stores seem to be quite accepting of returns with the usual 2-4 week return window in my experience.

If not, call AppleCare again and ask to ship it in for diagnostics. If you tell them you've got a brand-new Mac getting kernel panics I'd hope they would be willing to take it in.

If you want, you can open Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app or just type Console into Spotlight) and look for the crash log for the kernel panic (you said you got a full system crash, right?). It'll be in the sidebar under System Diagnostic Reports and should be called Kernel_[date and stuff].panic. There's nothing in there that's particularly useful or user-readable other than the name of the kernel extension involved in the crash (after "Kernel Extensions in backtrace:") and the list of loaded kexts (which should all be com.apple.[something] unless you've installed some third-party extensions. If that's the case, you really need to uninstall those first to see if they're causing the problem, unlikely though it may be) but maybe it'll give you a hint what's happening. You can also check "All messages" and see if there's any persistent errors getting logged (warning: there's going to be a ton of random poo poo in there and most of it is benign).

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I got a 365 subscription for work and I don't mind it, it's just sort of weird that they felt the need to put animations in excel when doing stuff

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
So I managed to return the other MBP without any hassle whatsoever! I guess I underestimated the level of service I could expect. Back up and running.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Knock on wood...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Praise the ghost of Steve Jobs... I ran the apple software updater in bootcamp and they added a new video driver that actually supports 5K resolution.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

JHVH-1 posted:

Praise the ghost of Steve Jobs... I ran the apple software updater in bootcamp and they added a new video driver that actually supports 5K resolution.

This was added four or five months ago.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a 2015 13" MBP and I'm looking for an external monitor. I'd like it to be 27" at 1440p (though since my MBP can drive a 4k at 60hz, I could run a 4k monitor and have it scaled down). IPS, or at least a really nice TN panel preferred. I don't care about refresh rate or color gamut/accuracy, as it will be used for coding and web browsing, writing, etc. Any good recommendations that won't cause me $texas?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Used 27" ACD can be had for $400

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is the difference between the Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt display?

edit: Looks like the Cinema display uses a miniDP and USB cable rather than a single Thunderbolt cable.

There is someone local with a 24" CD and a 2009 Mac Pro for $500. If I needed an ancient Mac Pro, that'd be pretty tempting. It seems like it'd be high enough resolution, particularly with a 16:10 AR, but 24" might be a bit small.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 3, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IuniusBrutus posted:

Thunderbolt display is slightly brighter 375 cd/m squared vs. 330.

ACD needs an unwieldy power brick near the video output of the computer, TB's power supply is self contained.

TB and ACD display also include 60W MagSafe1 charging cable, speakers, internal camera.

Lastly, 24 inch ACD uses 212W max, TB uses 250W max, both when charging a MagSafe1 laptop.

quote:

There is someone local with a 24" CD and a 2009 Mac Pro for $500. If I needed an ancient Mac Pro, that'd be pretty tempting.

A good price for both of them; singly I'd just shrug.

If you want to bring the Early 2009 MP up to par with El Capitan, it'd be something of a pain to get a modern video card up and running.

Bear in mind that if you go by Geekbench, even a 2014 Mac Mini has twice the amount of computing power as a top of the line "best" 8-core Early 2009 Mac Pro... but of course excepting a Bizon box, you can't upgrade a Mini's GPU..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 3, 2016

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Binary Badger posted:

Thunderbolt display is slightly brighter 375 cd/m squared vs. 330.
Both the 27" miniDP and TB display are the same brightness (375).

Binary Badger posted:

ACD needs an unwieldy power brick near the video output of the computer, TB's power supply is self contained.
The 24" and 27" ACD (mini-DP) displays most certainly do not need an additional power supply. You're thinking of the older silver DVI based monitors (or if you want to use an ADC monitor on a modern computer).

Binary Badger posted:

27" TB and ACD display also include 85W MagSafe1 charging cable, speakers, internal camera.

IuniusBrutus posted:

edit: Looks like the Cinema display uses a miniDP and USB cable rather than a single Thunderbolt cable.
This mostly. The panel specs are the same. The main difference is the TB display has "dock" in the back allowing you to connect gig-ethernet, and Firewire 800 in addition to the 3 USB ports. It also has an HD camera.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Get the 27"

Make sure it doesn't "click" or you're in for a $70 power supply repair

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Get the 27"

Make sure it doesn't "click" or you're in for a $70 power supply repair

Are the cables integrated like they are on the thunderbolt display? That is my big concern with that - they aren't replaceable, so if the thunderbolt cable trays or whatever I'm hosed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I thought he was talking about the 24" older silver ACDs, my bad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Are the cables integrated like they are on the thunderbolt display? That is my big concern with that - they aren't replaceable, so if the thunderbolt cable trays or whatever I'm hosed.

Yes it's the same cable

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, last questions about this 5,1 tower I bought as it is due to arrive soon.

I understand that I should be able to drop my boot SSD from my old tower into the new one, boot from that into 10.6.8 and have all my applications and plugins work fine, correct? Then it's just a matter of updating the OS via a download from the Apple Store? There's another thing though - the new tower comes with some software on it already, like FCP, parts of Adobe CS6 and Microsoft Office. How do I properly migrate all of that application data to the same SSD I'm putting in the machine?

Once this is all done, I'm taking the old tower, putting its original HDD back in and relegating it to my old iMac's duties as media/torrent machine. I imagine this is an even simpler process of using Target Drive mode and moving all of my music/movies/etc. to it.

Is there anything else I should take into consideration when migrating applications and data around like this?

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
I might buy a MacBook soon, but I'm stuck on picking a drive.

Is there an estimated amount of space to expect to have leftover for other data when running latest OSX and installing Win10 via bootcamp, on a 128GB?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
128GB won't be enough. You're going to want to give windows probably 40GB if you want to do anything in there. If it's for games, probably a little more.

It's going to be really really tight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I felt cramped on a 500 with 250 each for OS X and Windows.

128 would be nuts.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

Cyrano4747 posted:

128 would be nuts.

I had a feeling this was so, but I have absolutely no idea how much space OSX takes and how much I'd be using in both operating systems. Definitely no games though.

sidenote: I do have a decent desktop, so it's not like I'd be wanting to do absolutely all of my computer tasks on the laptop.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cyrano4747 posted:

128 would be nuts.

I have a 500 in my Mac Mini hooked to my tv with 100 dedicated to windows and 400 for mac (but also have a 3TB external for media like all my music, movies, tv shows for the plex library that I play through the apple tv.)

I use the machine mostly as a plex server and emulation box for tons of old consoles and computers. The only thing I've actually booted into windows for so far was to calibrate my light gun which doesn't have calibration software for mac, but I'm sure I'll be going in there for some games that just aren't available for mac at some point. So I'm an edge case there. On my MacBook Pro I have a 256 with 40 dedicated to windows for those few times a year I have to use IE for work. 256 is working fine for me there. with a 128 though I would barely have room for anything.

Edit:
With my photo library, all of my web development applications, 40GB for my windows partition, and the OS itself, I have 140GB free on my 256GB mac drive.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 4, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UserErr0r posted:

I might buy a MacBook soon, but I'm stuck on picking a drive.

Is there an estimated amount of space to expect to have leftover for other data when running latest OSX and installing Win10 via bootcamp, on a 128GB?

128gb is doable but for sure tight. 256gb would probably be fine for most people.
For both OSes you gotta figure around 20gb for OS files and a pagefile thats roughly the system ram size. So probably 50gb minimum each for both OS X and Windows, leaving you with 20gb formatted to have left over for your personal files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

UserErr0r posted:

I had a feeling this was so, but I have absolutely no idea how much space OSX takes and how much I'd be using in both operating systems.

A bare minimum install of OS X El Capitan is going to require about 10GB of HD space. If you install stuff like Xcode, iMovie or iPhoto you need another couple gigs on top of that.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, 128gb is not enough to dual-boot. I ended up picking up a JetDrive to add another 128gb to my RMBP but even with me shifting a lot of stuff to it and changing sync settings on some of my cloud stuff there's no way I could dual boot. Definitely one of my bigger regrets, although there's really not much I can't do on OS X that I would need Windows for. (FF XIV is the only game that I can't really play, and I have a PS4 for that. Also, even if it ran natively I wouldn't try it on this anyway...)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd consider 256GB to be the minimum.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't get 128gb should be in the ÔP

DONT DO EEEEET

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Considering the only difference between the 128gb and the 256gb RMBP is $250 (CAD) in cash, I disagree. Much easier to save the money and just buy a $75 1TB external for big stuff. Hell, do what I did and invest in a JetDrive if you need some extra space and don't want to carry around an external drive.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

robodex posted:

Considering the only difference between the 128gb and the 256gb RMBP is $250 (CAD) in cash, I disagree. Much easier to save the money and just buy a $75 1TB external for big stuff. Hell, do what I did and invest in a JetDrive if you need some extra space and don't want to carry around an external drive.

When you're buying new maybe, but if you're buying refurb or used the price difference is much lower. Also the second you start getting external devices involved you're reducing portability and livability. I wouldn't use my rMBP nearly as much as I do now if I had to have an external drive attached to it to use half of my applications.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I survive just fine on a 128GB, but yeah, I'm regularly unloading onto an external drive. All media barring my photo library lives on it. It definitely introduces a constant feel of micromanagement, even though I'm pretty sure I've never dipped below 40GB free (despite a 20GB Windows VM installation.) Even still, I wouldn't recommend it unless your budget is tight. At my time of purchase, a $50 1TB external drive (and the mild inconveniences that come with it) was more attractive that paying quite a premium for more internal storage.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

512GB is minimum. I only have 80GB free and I don't even dual-boot. I wish I got 1TB. Music library, photo library, Xcode and all it's huge loving nonsense, various other dev tools, Civ 5 and some movies, it all adds up.

Makes it an expensive loving computer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A guy I shared a house with at uni is now a company director and just got his staff XPS 15s with the 4k screens, i7 CPUs, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSDs. He said "I can't afford for people to be limited by their computers". It was such a surprise to hear someone responsible for actually spending the money say that.