Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's funny but grapefruit has a whole laundry list of meds it interacts badly with, my mother can't have it because like two of her medications have very bad interactions with it.

Yup...same here. I love the smell of it but can't eat it :( Shame really...but I get weird looks when I ask my husband if I can whiff his grapefruits at breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Potential BFF posted:

Is there a good commonly available brand of chorizo that crumbles up nicely when cooked? I've tried Goya, it tastes alright but the flavor and texture isn't really what I expected.

Do not buy poo poo like 'Supremo' brand, it's very finely ground and doesn't have any grease to it. The local Mexican store should make it regularly. You want it greasier than poo poo.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a favorite, fairly easy vegetarian date night recipe? I'm cooking for a date Monday. I don't have much experience and just basic equipment... but I'm stubborn and a sperg so I'm willing to stretch my comfort zone to make the meal awesome. I know she enjoys cooking braised seitan with cabbage or bussel sprouts, soups with kale/chickpeas/tempeh and likes avocados. I checked the first few pages and the OP for a vege thread but couldn't find one. Help a goon get laid!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I mean can't go wrong with potato leek soup

There's a ton of ways to do it but I just sautee leeks, add diced potatoes of many varieties and stir-saute for a few minutes, grate in garlic, cover with veg broth, stir in herbs, simmer 10 minutes, blend it up, stir in some milk.

Also slicing cabbage into about inch thick slices and covering with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt both sides, and roasting for I think 10? minutes each side until it's brown, is pretty good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Smeed posted:

Does anyone have a favorite, fairly easy vegetarian date night recipe? I'm cooking for a date Monday. I don't have much experience and just basic equipment... but I'm stubborn and a sperg so I'm willing to stretch my comfort zone to make the meal awesome. I know she enjoys cooking braised seitan with cabbage or bussel sprouts, soups with kale/chickpeas/tempeh and likes avocados. I checked the first few pages and the OP for a vege thread but couldn't find one. Help a goon get laid!

I haven't made this, but I like figs, so see if you're interested in this vegan fig cheesecakey thing. I guess it would be much more accurate to call it a bar, but this way they can make it look like a cheesecake or whatever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean can't go wrong with potato leek soup

There's a ton of ways to do it but I just sautee leeks, add diced potatoes of many varieties and stir-saute for a few minutes, grate in garlic, cover with veg broth, stir in herbs, simmer 10 minutes, blend it up, stir in some milk.

Also slicing cabbage into about inch thick slices and covering with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt both sides, and roasting for I think 10? minutes each side until it's brown, is pretty good.

For the soup, a cauliflower soup is pretty good too. Also a vegetable soup prepared minestrone style but with beans instead of pasta.
For the cabbage, add onion and carrots, braise it at low temp, covered, for an hour or more and it's super awesome

pasta - primavera; or lemon, butter and pomodoro or aglio e olio style; genovese basil pesto; or tomato arabbiata/pugliese/sicilian style

Stirfry - vegetarian with shitake, carrot, toasted cashew, celery, cabbage/broccoli/or snow peas/beans is a simple quick dish.

heaps of Indian/Eastern recipies to browse through online. Plus http://herbivoracious.com/ for a general website, plus there's a few free cookbooks out there online.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Smeed posted:

Risotto

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What else can I do with a big wack of pre-sliced mushrooms aside from sauteeing them with onions? They're just creminis from costco so nothing special, just a huge package.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Chop them up some more and make duxelles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think my oven died. There's no gas noise from the oven or stove. I'm still getting hot water from the sink.

Uhh is this a common thing? How much do repairs usually go? Should I repair or get a new oven?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I have a guy that does appliance repairs. He will charge $50 to show up and take the $50 out of the fee if he can fix. If he can't, 3/3 times he hasn't charged the $50.

I'd get a guy to look before giving up on it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Homemade ricotta ravioli in herb brown butter

Pretty much th3 best vegetarian thing

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

pile of brown posted:

I would say get half your grill really hot and keep the other side a more med/low, season the lamb heavily w salt and pepper, put grill marks all over the whole lamb rack, then move it to the low side and roast until it's about 105 internal temp, and rest it. Slice between each bone to make lil lollipops and serve with some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled whatever vegetables you like. And make chimichurri* to go w the lamb:
First chop fine 2 shallots and put them in a bowl and cover them w red wine vinegar and set aside while you do everything else.
Deseed a jalapeño, and chop finely with 6 cloves garlic
Chop 1 bunch parsley and 1 bunch cilantro, and a much smaller amount of fresh marjoram if possible and a similar amount of fresh thyme.
Combine everything in a big bowl with the juice of a lime, salt and enough neutral/olive oil to make it saucy. (You can add more or less depending on what you need it for.) It's good on pretty much everything. Sometimes I throw some into the vitamix and make it smooth and fold it into aioli, awesome for burgers

*I call this chimichurri but someone will probably get mad at me about it or something I put in it

I did this and didn't make chimichurri*. It was delicious as it was. Definitely going o have to make it more often.

*My dad is from Uruguay and makes chimichuurri all the time. It's a pretty individual thing. ;)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's funny but grapefruit has a whole laundry list of meds it interacts badly with, my mother can't have it because like two of her medications have very bad interactions with it.

I worked for a clinical trials company and found out that the reason grapefruit fucks you up on lots of meds is because it can increase their potency by several times, making the risk of toxicity much greater. The more you know!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What makes grapefruit so different from other citrus things, then?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Other citrus plants do have a furocoumarin chemical defense against pests, but the chemical is usually concentrated in the oil found in the rind. Like, if you were to take a tablespoon of lime oil with your pills it would screw you up, too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So with grapefruits that chemical is more available in the juicy bits? Hardcore.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I did this and didn't make chimichurri*. It was delicious as it was. Definitely going o have to make it more often.

*My dad is from Uruguay and makes chimichuurri all the time. It's a pretty individual thing. ;)

Mind sharing an Uruguayan chimichurri recipe? I like trying things

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I found a grocery store near me that sells salmon offcuts(?) -- basically everything left after the filets are taken off: whole head, spine with some meat, fins, tail. I roasted and picked one, and now I have 13 oz (370 g) of delicious tiny fatty salmon bits.

This batch is destined for kedgeree tomorrow, but what are some other things I can do with it? I'd rather use the salmon bits than make stock/soup out of the whole thing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Salmon rilletes!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Salmon hotdogs!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
"Lox" Shmear! Mix 1/8 cup salmon crumbles in a squeeze of lemon, dash of caper juice, pinch of salt, and pinch of sugar sugar. Stir to combine, let that sit together for 15 minutes, then fold it into 1/4 cup WHOLE FAT NO poo poo cream cheese (or neufchatel cheese does in a pinch if you must). Put it on a bagel if you can find one worthy of hosting such magical stuff, otherwise crackers. Top with whole capers.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why do people cook ground beef for far longer than they cook other beef? What is it about ground beef that lets you get way with that? For tacos and stuff. Like, if I make a hamburger that beef is barely getting cooked through. :patriot:

Doesn't it dry out ground beef when you cook it in a pan and let it simmer for ages?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

Why do people cook ground beef for far longer than they cook other beef? What is it about ground beef that lets you get way with that? For tacos and stuff. Like, if I make a hamburger that beef is barely getting cooked through. :patriot:

Doesn't it dry out ground beef when you cook it in a pan and let it simmer for ages?

It's not as obvious as whole beef because the chunks of protein are small and surrounded by a good bit more fat. I think this keeps the meat from drying out as easily. Also it's harder to tell if its overcooked because it's small granular consistency that breaks up as its chewed. An overcooked whole piece would be tough and chewy. The ground stuff is also but the scale is all wrong for you to tell easily.

When I make burgers I make them raw as hell because I love them that way. For taco salad etc though I overcook the meat until I get a nice amount of crispy bits of beef along with the rest of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That Works posted:

It's not as obvious as whole beef because the chunks of protein are small and surrounded by a good bit more fat. I think this keeps the meat from drying out as easily. Also it's harder to tell if its overcooked because it's small granular consistency that breaks up as its chewed. An overcooked whole piece would be tough and chewy. The ground stuff is also but the scale is all wrong for you to tell easily.

When I make burgers I make them raw as hell because I love them that way. For taco salad etc though I overcook the meat until I get a nice amount of crispy bits of beef along with the rest of it.

It's also a matter of food safety, ground meats go bad much more quickly than whole cuts so it makes sense to err on the safe side when it comes to doneness, that tendency has ingrained itself into our food culture and recipes.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It's actually that when you grind meat you're introducing all the bacteria that normally resides on the outside of steaks and roasts throughout the entire quantity. That's why eating a burger rare is riskier than eating a steak rare.

The reason is doesn't dry out as fast is because of the fat content. If you had a steak that was 10%-20% fat you could do the same.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

pile of brown posted:

Mind sharing an Uruguayan chimichurri recipe? I like trying things

I don't have any particular recipes. My dad (actually my stepdad) used to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and process to the consistency he wanted. I remember lots of parsley, garlic, and oil. Pretty sure it had some oregano as well. I could be missing something but that is what I remember. Ratios, I have not a clue. Unfortunately, he and I haven't spoken in many years so I can't just call him up and ask. But chimichurri in Uruguay (and Argentina) is like salsa in Mexico. Everyone has their own recipe that is just a little different than everyone else's so there is no "right" way to make it that I'm aware of. I really wished I had learned more about the cuisine because my step-grandfather was a chef and even though my stepfather didn't follow in his footsteps he could still cook his face off.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
My sister wants chicken cacciatore for her birthday dinner, and I thought I'd try polenta for a side. Are there any good polenta recipes that go well with hearty/tomato-y dishes like that, or should I just serve it plain?

I'm also trying to figure out a dessert to go with it, since she had her cake yesterday - possibly something lighter?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a follow up question to the one above: I have never had polenta as a side, in a restaurant or cooked by a regular person, where I didn't wish it was something other than polenta.

Has anyone got a recipe for polenta that is good, not just good "for polenta"? Like one where I won't wish that I'd had potatoes instead?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Make it entirely with milk, cook it as long as possible and finish with a little cream or butter. Make sure to season the milk liberally before you start.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone ever make gochujang on their own? I ran out and have a bunch of other random non-korean peppers and wanted to make a batch of kimchi out of the garden. I was thinking of making a paste using 1/3 dry thai chilis, 1/3 california and 1/3 pasilla chiles. Any opinions on this / would it just turn out terrible?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gandhichan posted:

I'm also trying to figure out a dessert to go with it, since she had her cake yesterday - possibly something lighter?

What about Strawberry shortcake or something? Like, a small one over some vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle some cinnamon over the ice cream. Or one of these fruit pizzas things, with a sugar cookie base?

Or combine it, so you have the shortcake fruit pizza, so it's a bit lighter.

I just like fruit. :saddowns:
Maybe a nice greek yoghurt parfait - with toasted almonds and swirl of honey. And one of the layers could be apple pie filling.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 7, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

Anyone ever make gochujang on their own? I ran out and have a bunch of other random non-korean peppers and wanted to make a batch of kimchi out of the garden. I was thinking of making a paste using 1/3 dry thai chilis, 1/3 california and 1/3 pasilla chiles. Any opinions on this / would it just turn out terrible?

I've never done it, but if you need a recipe, Maangchi made one: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujang.

Gochujang isn't super spicy, apparently around a poblano in spiciness. But you can make it however the hell you want it who cares about "supposed to be".

But If your'e after kimchi you don't need to make gochujang, you just need to make some pepper flakes (gochugaru). They're not powdered, but they're more ground than what you'd find served along with pizza. I don't think it has the seeds either.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That Works posted:

Better alternative: treat the ground beef like steak for the first 3-4 minutes. Brown the poo poo out of one side of it and don't touch the beef. Now dig in and scrape the fond off and while you're turning the rest of the beef to (very quickly) cook, you get some nice brown bits throughout, without explicitly overcooking the beef. I like to tell based on the fat that is rendered from the beef - once it hits a certain point, you're doing nothing but overcook afterwards.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

baquerd posted:

Better alternative: treat the ground beef like steak for the first 3-4 minutes. Brown the poo poo out of one side of it and don't touch the beef. Now dig in and scrape the fond off and while you're turning the rest of the beef to (very quickly) cook, you get some nice brown bits throughout, without explicitly overcooking the beef. I like to tell based on the fat that is rendered from the beef - once it hits a certain point, you're doing nothing but overcook afterwards.

Pro. This is how I do it, turns out good. But I also cook it covered for the last half, so it's like, seasoned ground beef into sizzly hot pan, let it scream for 2 minutes, lower heat and cover for another few minutes, remove cover and flip/break up.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
According to this list, 3 of the 50 best restaurants in the world are in Lima.
If I went there for a few days, what would be my best strategy, and chances, for getting in to all three of them?
And what's it gonna cost me?
Let's say I have six to eight months to plan.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners#t1-50

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

If I went there for a few days, what would be my best strategy, and chances, for getting in to all three of them?

While you're down there I want you to find out as much as you can about Peruvian coffee syrup concentrate. My friends were there and said they had some great coffee where the server would pour some syrupy concentrate into your cup and then fill it with boiling water. All the sources I've seen online seem to think it's cold-brew concentrate, but that certainly doesn't fit with the syrupy description my friends gave me.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Very Strange Things posted:

obviously you should book a table now.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Is there a tried and true method for tenderizing stew meat?

I've been searing the sides prior to throwing them into the pot rare and letting them slow cook in my chili but they're just ever too tough for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Thunder Moose posted:

Is there a tried and true method for tenderizing stew meat?

I've been searing the sides prior to throwing them into the pot rare and letting them slow cook in my chili but they're just ever too tough for my liking.

How long are you cooking it?