Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jen-Hsung with a kickass leather jacket and weird awkward cadence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The whole thing is awkward. These events are so lame.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Am I back there?"

it's not looking like there's gonna be videogames

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

"Am I back there?"

lol wtf was that

also

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont see where my fps fits in those 5 categories mr jen

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's Pascal this time I swear.

loving lol if it's all about drive and tesla though.

(Expecting VR to be where the goods are).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I guess we can start to count the days until Computex now?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

n.. posted:

No amount of kickass leather jackets can make you a good stage speaker.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I'm really confused by how he seemingly jumps around randomly on his slides. Really annoying.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

n.. posted:

It's a nice little memento mori kind of thing. No matter how wealthy and powerful you might be, you're not a rock star, and there are good reasons for that. You can buy cool things, but you can't buy cool.

See also: Paul Allen.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lol wtf was that

also

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont see where my fps fits in those 5 categories mr jen

Say you own a business. Would you rather sell to nerds living in basements who spend a few hundred bucks every few years, or Google, national labs, and startups swimming in VC money?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Panty Saluter posted:

Is there a benefit to locking aspect ratio? Other than hiding things you don't want seen in cutscenes I guess

It reduces the number of test configurations and allows HUDs to be done in a lazier way.

NewFatMike posted:

Go with the single card solution - a 980Ti is about price and performance par with 970s in SLI. You just don't have to do the janky SLI stuff and am absurd amount of new releases don't even support it.

Definitely this.

A friend and I built our PCs at the same time and they're identical other than the GPU. We both started with 970s, I added a second one a few months later where he waited longer and just swapped out for a 980ti.

When SLI works perfectly, my system is a little bit faster than his up until the VRAM difference comes in to play. More and more often these days though there isn't SLI support. Some games use visual effect techniques which are simply incompatible with alternate frame rendering and thus will never work in SLI or Crossfire.

VR may redeem a SLI setup in the future with the one GPU per eye thing, but I don't believe that's supported in any of the first-wave VR titles so for now VR is entirely single GPU.

The monitor going dark thing, if you're using Displayport on that monitor try a new cable. The power pin being hooked up causes some monitors and GPUs to fight. Look for a cable without pin 20.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Space Gopher posted:

Say you own a business. Would you rather sell to nerds living in basements who spend a few hundred bucks every few years, or Google, national labs, and startups swimming in VC money?

but but but but but but

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
was hoping they'd announce an actual jetpack

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's a different jacket than he worse at CES 2016 and 2015 so he must own a stockpile of kickasss black leather jackets. Can't really blame him though for that.

And yeah it's pretty awkward, kind of like Elon's presentations. Dunno why they don't just practice it, it's a skill that can be learned.

Edit: Oh poo poo they brought in The Woz!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Space Gopher posted:

Those nerds are their largest revenue source though since there are a lot more of them.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9765/nvidia-announces-record-revenue-for-q3-fy-2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Talismanic Grasping personified

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MaxxBot posted:

Those nerds are their largest revenue source though since there are a lot more of them.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9765/nvidia-announces-record-revenue-for-q3-fy-2016

Not early on when yields are low they aren't.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Brought to you by Cisco™ Telepresence

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Well, Woz, that was not a helpful comment."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol Woz getting sick in VR :v:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
"Well, Woz, that was not a helpful comment"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
legit laughing at all of it

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Really glad Woz didn't blow chunks live on stream :sweatdrop:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
blow the chunks, woz

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
sigh so im guessing the demo units were just there to run the simlutations

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So does the IRAY thing actually render the full 3d scene in real time? When he spun the HMD around it seemed to only rotate and not translate in the space.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mobby_6kl posted:

So does the IRAY thing actually render the full 3d scene in real time? When he spun the HMD around it seemed to only rotate and not translate in the space.

I dont know. The rendering required for say, the reflections in the concrete, suggest that it is possible to render in real time in motion as well. At what performance cost I dunno.

edit: I guess what I mean is the lighting processing required to show you changes in the reflections from moving your point of view isn't much different if the viewpoint physically moved in space as well. The only difference would be rendering the actual room itself which would probably be "trivial" compared to the lighting

edit: haha creepy, we taught computers to create art

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 5, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I guess it'd have to be though, right? Otherwise it'd be functionally identical to the lite version that just pre-renders a 360 scene. Hmm.

Yeah that's pretty impressive how it can generate a coherent image.

Aww look at that cute lil baby gpu :3:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I think they typoed this slide, that should probably say 15B transistors not 150B.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yup, new Pascal GPU is a Tesla card with DP.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I want a P100

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

600mm^2 on a brand new node, how expensive is this thing going to be :stonk:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I want a P100

Yea.... This.

At least it looks like Nvidia hasn't just been sitting on their hands or doing ARM stuff for the last 2 years as we have been stuck with the 900 series for what feels like ages.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Christ when I first saw the slide I thought the 150B was a typo and they meant 15B :stare:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Phrasing, Jensen. Phrasing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Christ when I first saw the slide I thought the 150B was a typo and they meant 15B :stare:

But... they ReTweeted it? https://twitter.com/nvidia/status/717403138790006784

It is certainly a MicDrop against Intel and their attempt to push into this market with lots of little x86 Cores... Not even close unless they have something major up their sleeve.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
So does any of this pertain to a gamer?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MaxxBot posted:

It has to be a typo even with the size and new process. Titan X is the same size die and has 8B transistors.

Still, holy poo poo.

edit: Anandtech on their liveblog thinks the 150B number might be including memory. Sounds plausible, I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We'll ship it... soon :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

So does any of this pertain to a gamer?

Potentially the same architecture will have a Consumer version, but we are all waiting for that to be verbalized here...