Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kor Phaeron also isn't all that compelling as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Immanentized posted:

The Audio books for the last 2 are also really good, if you have the credits going space.
I'd also suggest checking out Apocalypse for a cheeky 40k continuation

I only get audiobooks if possible. Luckily all HH novels have audiobook versions.

I was trying to decide on getting Aurelian standalone or the Eye of Terra anthology (which includes it) as they have different narrators.

TTS isn't too bad for shorter books. A poster earlier asked me to inform the thread about my views of Scourge of Fate, a AOS novel. No audiobook sadly so I've been using TTS and while that kinda limits it, I've enjoyed what I've heard so far. I really am happy to finally see just some Chaos dudes living their Chaos lives in a Chaos society.

Speaking of which, somebody on Reddit recommended me Lords of Silence as insight into the theology of the different Traitor Legions by `40K.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder that Gate of Bones, the next novel in the Dawn of Fire indomitus crusade series, is out tomorrow. The first one, Avenging Son, was really good so I am quite excited about this one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would listen to an audio book narrated by Alfabusa and the TTS crew.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Reminder that Gate of Bones, the next novel in the Dawn of Fire indomitus crusade series, is out tomorrow. The first one, Avenging Son, was really good so I am quite excited about this one.

I don't see it on amazon

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Biplane posted:

I don't see it on amazon

Preorders go live tomorrow. You probably won't see it until then.

That said, with Gate of Bone's I'll have 3 outstanding orders for LEs from Games Workshop, which is.... undesirable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh it's the LE. I'm a "cheap" ebook kinda guy :shobon:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would listen to an audio book narrated by Alfabusa and the TTS crew.

So do I, especially the Fabulous Custodes trio.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Angry Lobster posted:

So do I, especially the Fabulous Custodes trio.

Waamudes reading the description of the chaos planet cultists from Inquisitor was something else.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Oh it's the LE. I'm a "cheap" ebook kinda guy :shobon:

No, the regular edition also releases. These are special Editions not limited Editions, the only difference being whether they release at the same time as the regular editions.

Amazon says the paperback release date is February 16th, but that should update hopefully by tomorrow. Typically they have the kindle and other editions available for preorder by this time. I'm in CST time zone and I can usually get the kindle edition of any new book at 11pm Friday night. I might have to get it off BL site this time if Amazon doesn't update. May even be able to get it right now if I use the NZ site.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh, I see! That's great, thank you :D

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I expect it's just the preorder for Gate of Bones tomorrow, and the actual release won't be till next week.

What I'm wondering is if we'll get audiobook versions for Penitent and Pariah next month (or possibly March).

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 29, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Kor Phaeron also isn't all that compelling as a character.

He's really not. I think he suffers in that he can't just be an Evil Pope, with some Dark Souls or Bloodborne vibes. Everyone has to be a power-armor fighter of some sort.

Erebus is already an Astartes mastermind manioulator. Lorgar got the Archpriest of Chaos role. So Kor Phaeron ended up a bit redundant.

I don't think he's even mentioned in recent 40k lore, even when the Word Bearers are involved.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

I expect it's just the preorder for Gate of Bones tomorrow, and the actual release won't be till next week.

What I'm wondering is if we'll get audiobook versions for Penitent and Pariah next month (or possibly March).

gently caress! It is just the pre-order. I was really looking forward to reading it this weekend. drat.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Sephyr posted:

He's really not. I think he suffers in that he can't just be an Evil Pope, with some Dark Souls or Bloodborne vibes. Everyone has to be a power-armor fighter of some sort.

Erebus is already an Astartes mastermind manioulator. Lorgar got the Archpriest of Chaos role. So Kor Phaeron ended up a bit redundant.

I don't think he's even mentioned in recent 40k lore, even when the Word Bearers are involved.

The Space Marine Battles book Apocalypse involves Word Bearers and they're split between a Kor Phaeron faction and...another faction, I can't remember if it's Erebus or someone else. It's a pretty good book.

Also Barnes and Noble has The Gate of Bones releasing on the 16th. The Harrowed Paths will also be releasing then, while Deacon of Wounds will be releasing Feb 2nd. It's gonna be a good month for WH books.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It was Erebus-aligned Word Bearers vs Kor, yeah

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah several books I can't think of right now have made references to those two WB factions. They did exactly what you would expect after the heresy and split into their own extremely petty factions bickering with each other for 10k years.

I think Amazon and BN having Gate of Bones Feb 16th is either a mistake or has to do with GW's current shipping speed issues. It definitely goes on pre-order tomorrow with the intent of being physically available the following weekend. If you order it from BL there is no telling when you will get it because they have like 2 people shipping in their warehouse when it's usually 10. The ebook will definitely be available, at least from BL, next weekend.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
How do I know which books are post Robutt's return?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Someone help me out here: Is Fury of Magnus just a short story set during Siege of Terra, but not driving the series forward, and is Mortis actually the fifth book in the series?
I'm seeing different offers on Amazon where both Fury of Magnus and Mortis are listed either as "Volume 5" or "book 5 of 5", and the GW website doesn't even have any books revealed past Saturnine.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Fury of Magnus is an ancillary novella in the Siege series, like Sons of the Selenar. Mortis is the 5th book in the series.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Halman posted:

How do I know which books are post Robutt's return?

If the book was published after Gathering Storm which came out early 2017 its probably set after that. There are exceptions but they'll probably let you n know in the story.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fury of Magnus wraps up the HH Magnus plot line. It's pretty good too. I wouldn't skip it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Fury of Magnus wraps up the HH Magnus plot line. It's pretty good too. I wouldn't skip it.

So Thousand Sons > Prospero Burns > Crimson King > Fury of Magnus?

Definitely wanna make sure I complete this arc.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

You could also throw his HH: Primarchs series book in there for more Magnus goodness. (Magnus the Red: Master of Prospero)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I would skip the other siege books and go straight to Fury though. You can, and Fury is a side story in the siege so it wouldn't be a big deal, but SoT is great and getting a sense of the scale and how things have arrived at the point Fury takes place adds depth.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of Magnus...

I've just started watching the Oculus Imperia series of lore videos on YouTube. They're fantastic. I was delighted to put on the video about the The Edict of Nikaea and discover that he was using the same voice actor for Magnus as the TTS videos. He does the whole, totally arrogant speech, and it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8dsGuRPKQ

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I would skip the other siege books and go straight to Fury though. You can, and Fury is a side story in the siege so it wouldn't be a big deal, but SoT is great and getting a sense of the scale and how things have arrived at the point Fury takes place adds depth.

Oh i definitely won't skip any Siege book. I'm just making sure I'm missing nothing else with Magnus in the HH.

Right now my plan is to finish Word Bearers 'Fall Arc" then read 1K Sons stuff then skip straight to Siege of Terra. I'm not gonna leave HH totally behind, I just wanna catch up to the current big climax. Also really wanna get started on AOS so sooner I catch up with HH the better.

Poor Emperor's Children. I love Slaanesh and Fulgrim wasn't bad, but...Thousand Sons was way better and Word Bearers are totally my thing. (thank you earlier poster for mentioning Apocalypse, added that to my list)

Also besides the Siege of Terra stuff, should I read anything else to understand? Vengeful Spirit seems like a must as it seems to be when Horus becomes full Chaos and gets all powerful.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Vengeful Spirit, Slaves to Darkness, Praetorian of Dorn, The Buried Dagger and Master of Mankind I think are all good setups for the Siege in the Heresy. Plus I remember them all being decent to great.

The Siege series does assume a certain level of knowledge regarding some other storylines that you may miss. The Garro anthology, Unremembered Empire, Fear to Tread and Ruinstorm also get you up to speed with Sanguinius and various other loyalist characters who just pop up in the Siege series with not much context given. They're slightly more mediocre novels though so your mileage may vary.

e: are you planning to read Prospero Burns?

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 30, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I would argue that Master of Mankind is part of the Magnus arc. He isn't in it, but it puts what he did in a lot more context. Don't skip it, read it before Fury

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

a lovely king posted:

Vengeful Spirit, Slaves to Darkness, Praetorian of Dorn, The Buried Dagger and Master of Mankind I think are all good setups for the Siege in the Heresy. Plus I remember them all being decent to great.

The Siege series does assume a certain level of knowledge regarding some other storylines that you may miss. The Garro anthology, Unremembered Empire, Fear to Tread and Ruinstorm also get you up to speed with Sanguinius and various other loyalist characters who just pop up in the Siege series with not much context given. They're slightly more mediocre novels though so your mileage may vary.

e: are you planning to read Prospero Burns?

Yeah, as soon as I get done with WB stuff, gonna go to 1K Sons stuff then misc. reading for Siege and finally start Siege itself.

Should be able to get 4 more books this upcoming month with 3 Audible Credits for $30 plus my monthly Credit.

D-Pad posted:

I would argue that Master of Mankind is part of the Magnus arc. He isn't in it, but it puts what he did in a lot more context. Don't skip it, read it before Fury

MoM was on my To Read List for other reasons but I'll def look into it extra quick if it has more interesting stuff on Magnus.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 30, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, as soon as I get done with WB stuff, gonna go to 1K Sons stuff then misc. reading for Siege and finally start Siege itself.

Should be able to get 4 more books this upcoming month with 3 Audible Credits fir $30 plus my monthly Credit.

MoM was on my To Read List for other reasons but I'll def look into it extra quick if it has more interesting stuff on Magnus.

Yeah the audible credit model is so good, and dollar for dollar, probably the most accessible way of stocking up on ham fiction

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Master of Mankind doesn't feature Magnus, but it is entirely about a situation that he created by "doing nothing wrong" You basically see the consequence of his actions on Terra,

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of Magnus...

I've just started watching the Oculus Imperia series of lore videos on YouTube. They're fantastic. I was delighted to put on the video about the The Edict of Nikaea and discover that he was using the same voice actor for Magnus as the TTS videos. He does the whole, totally arrogant speech, and it's wonderful.

TTS, is that another lore channel? I really enjoyed the Nikaea video (and all of OI, for that matter), wouldn't mind some other quality listening while I paint.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Its more like one of those abridged shows but for 40k you can tell its made with a lot of love for the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYrTCGKyrU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

From his Twitter I think ADB is penning the novel following “Mortis”

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

From his Twitter I think ADB is penning the novel following “Mortis”

He is a notoriously slow writer. If he is working on SoT it's probably the book after next. I think Wraight will be next then ADB then Abnett.

ADB has finished spears 2 and BL 3 though so that's exciting.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

^ you are most likely right, looking forward to reading some new ADB, hopefully in 2021

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

He is a notoriously slow writer. If he is working on SoT it's probably the book after next. I think Wraight will be next then ADB then Abnett.

ADB has finished spears 2 and BL 3 though so that's exciting.

This is the tweet:

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1355169290597576709?s=21

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guyver posted:

Its more like one of those abridged shows but for 40k you can tell its made with a lot of love for the source.

If The Emperor Had A text-To-Speech Device is very silly, but yes it is made with a lot of love. And their version of Magnus makes a good head canon, the voice actor plays him with a mildly offended petulance that so perfectly encapsulates his character that it's become my preferred take on his character. Silly or not. There's a sincerely Python-esque air to the whole production that I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Man, Solar War is the only LE I don't have and now it's a glaring hole on my shelf -- I managed all the others for same prices but the first book is going for $700+ on eBay which is flat out stupid