Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The flow improver is just thinner (water, retarder, isopropyl alcohol) without the retarder. If you don't want dry tip I believe the thinner is better.

I think that's right. Someone correct me if not.

This is the exact opposite.

Edit: if you’re airbrushing and you’re not using this, remedy.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Good video on the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgEDMQyz0s

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Yeast posted:

This is the exact opposite.

Edit: if you’re airbrushing and you’re not using this, remedy.

Thanks. I just watched that video the other guy posted and I seemed to remember him saying the thinner had the retarder, guess I heard wrong.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booyah- posted:

This is backwards I believe, it's the thinner that doesn't have retarder and is more likely to give you dry tip.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The flow improver is just thinner (water, retarder, isopropyl alcohol) without the retarder. If you don't want dry tip I believe the thinner is better.

I think that's right. Someone correct me if not.

Both of these products from Vallejo delay drying time. Both help alleviate dry-tip.

quote:

Airbrush Flow Improver is a medium to improve the flow & delay the drying of paint on the needle. We recommend adding 1-2 drops Flow Improver to 10 drops of paint in the cup of the airbrush.

quote:

Thinner for airbrushing. Dilutes color without loss of adhesion, resistance and consistency. Thinner is used to extend the colors, to increase fluidity and delay the drying time. We recommend the addition of a few drops of Thinner to the colors while airbrushing.

Again, unless you specifically need the paint to flow better (such as washes), you should probably be using Vallejo's thinner with their paints instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Vallejo flow improver is magical

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

ijyt posted:

Glaze medium is pretty much just medium, just not specifically gloss or matte (usually semi-gloss). The difference here is that most retarders are additives, which don't contain binders to bind the paint pigment.

Glaze medium will extend your working time the same way adding a little water does to a paint on a palette before its completely dried, but it (usually) doesn't have any specific properties to slow drying time. Essentially glaze medium is useful if you want to thin your paint from opaque to transparent without changing its properties too much. Instead of making your paint runny and watery, it'll keep its consistency/viscosity.

Flow Improver: Washes
Gloss Medium: Glazes with richer colour
Matte Medium: Reducing shine of paint (but not necessarily for thinning)
Glaze Medium: Glazes
Retarder: Slow drying and blending

As far as I can tell stuff like Vallejo Thinner are a mix of medium and retarder, while the flow improver is pretty much the same as from any artists brand like W&N, Golden, or Liquitex. Flow improvers can have properties of retarder, but the key thing to remember is they'll break the surface tension of water-based acrylics, unlike pure retarders.

This should go in the OP. It’s super informative, thanks

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The tl;dr I got from ealier in the thread is:

You want to use the Flow Improver 99% of the time because it's like a Thinner that helps not having a dry tip (because it contains Retarder). And you just need a few drops if your paint is already airbrush-ready. Otherwise just use it as the thinner.

Now I use the Thinner only to help clean the airbrush (first water, then thinner, then airbrush cleaner).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Furism posted:

The tl;dr I got from ealier in the thread is:

You want to use the Flow Improver 99% of the time because it's like a Thinner that helps not having a dry tip (because it contains Retarder). And you just need a few drops if your paint is already airbrush-ready. Otherwise just use it as the thinner.

Now I use the Thinner only to help clean the airbrush (first water, then thinner, then airbrush cleaner).

Thinner helps not having dry tip... just use airbrush cleaner to clean your brush.

It's like posting into a void.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
First thing i painted since i started university, i finished up this 3D-printed prototype from Obsidian Protocol today.
A friend of mine is gonna take some pics with a proper DSLR and lighting setup tomorrow but i'm happy with how it turned out so...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Bistromatic posted:

First thing i painted since i started university, i finished up this 3D-printed prototype from Obsidian Protocol today.
A friend of mine is gonna take some pics with a proper DSLR and lighting setup tomorrow but i'm happy with how it turned out so...

This looks incredible! What was it printed with? I've been thinking of getting into resin 3d printing for D&D miniatures

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! I should clarify that i didn't print this myself, the OP devs gave it to me to paint up and i don't have the slighted idea what machines they used.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Woah that's great, the paint job gives that design justice. The orange and white accents are 👌

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Bistromatic posted:

Argh gently caress you I didn't wanna back that KS and now I wanna back that KS

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ijyt posted:

Thinner helps not having dry tip... just use airbrush cleaner to clean your brush.

It's like posting into a void.

10 pages earlier the thread was saying something else so it's more a chaos than a void:

Bucnasti posted:

Thinner is a drying accelerator - Too much thinner will give you dry tip.
Flow improver is a drying retarder - Too much flow improver will cause your paint to spiderweb when it hits your painting surface

If you're using airbrush ready paints there's not much point in using thinner at all, just a little Flow improver.
If you're starting with a heavier body paint, you should thin it with thinner and then add some flow improver to overcome the drying effect.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I have a bunch of stuff I want to prime and seal but I live in Nottingham and it's been 80%+ humidity every day for a while now, as it apparently is on average always:

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,nottingham,United-Kingdom

In the past I've waited for the occasional really dry day to do my spraying but my patience is growing thin. Does it make a difference whether it's cold or hot humidity? I don't know how the GW painters do it otherwise!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

I’m new, can you explain the highlights?

This was a good video I watched ages ago that explained highlights and layers. I like this guys videos generally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAcaBh_o6zI

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MeinPanzer posted:

So I have a bunch of stuff I want to prime and seal but I live in Nottingham and it's been 80%+ humidity every day for a while now, as it apparently is on average always:

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,nottingham,United-Kingdom

In the past I've waited for the occasional really dry day to do my spraying but my patience is growing thin. Does it make a difference whether it's cold or hot humidity? I don't know how the GW painters do it otherwise!

Miniac lives in Minnesota, and he did a test under different temperatures and humidity and came to the conclusion that it makes no difference.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

hooman posted:

I like this guys videos generally.

Miniac is great. He has a very Goonish sense of humor.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

eating paint will do that

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

eating paint will do that

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I crave a smooth even white surface for some of the “ghostly woo” on the underside of my Briar Queen and some of her associates. Neither Corax White rattle can or diluted Liquitex Titanium White are giving me what I want, something almost like porcelain. Any recommendations that don’t involve an airbrush?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Torquemada posted:

I crave a smooth even white surface for some of the “ghostly woo” on the underside of my Briar Queen and some of her associates. Neither Corax White rattle can or diluted Liquitex Titanium White are giving me what I want, something almost like porcelain. Any recommendations that don’t involve an airbrush?

Have you tried a blue-grey undercoat, then white, then a gloss sealant? Might get you the finish you crave.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My group is probably going to hop on Blood and Valor and I’ve picked the French army. Does anyone know of a Historicals repository of paint recipes? I figure Vallejo probably has the blue I need but god know what they call it.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Having a crack at faces using Darren Latham's technique, really pleased with this for a first attempt. Eyes are a loving nightmare!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that looks dope as hell

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

JBP posted:

Have you tried a blue-grey undercoat, then white, then a gloss sealant? Might get you the finish you crave.

This seems like a good place to start, thanks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Count_Brass posted:

Having a crack at faces using Darren Latham's technique, really pleased with this for a first attempt. Eyes are a loving nightmare!

Well that certainly blows the pretty much same face I was working on earlier today out of the water. So good job.

Mine ended up looking a bit too geriatric (almost a bit Palpatine at one point) and I suppose the greenstuff bandana didn't help either.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Painted up Gotrek for a friend, what a great model. Took most of the color cues from the studio paint job. Ended up with a satin finish which has a nice effect in person.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That is phenomenal, skails!

I finished up 12 poxwalkers this weekend and also finally based my Daemon Prince of Nurgle.

I used the flag from the Scions box that I had painted up for Kill Team on the base.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished a bunch of stuff this weekend.
A pair of Raven Guard Reivers.

Your mission is to infiltrate the fortress Galuade, rescue the hostages and neutralize Metal Gear before its assembly is complete.

And the Phobos Lieutenant from the Shadowspear box.

Two out of three are done following the painting guide on Goonhammer while the other one was based on the confused suggestions on the Citadel app.

Somehow the first one ended up looking like a geriatric Solid Snake after I had painted up the head. Should've gone with the Stormcast head I had in the first place I think. Also making a greenstuff bandana was hellish. But mostly due to inexperience with sculpting.
Still, one of the better suggestions how to paint pale skin so it's on my list for the future.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the kind comments y'all! As promised there's much better photos now:

You can find some more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/qT6HFgF

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

JBP posted:

Question, does paint stick to gloss sealant or varnish? Or am I going to need to complete the entire job, then varnish?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does anyone actually like assembling or is it just a thing you have to do before you get to the fun part

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross-pointing from the Historicals thread; I finished my first Austrian infantryman:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

jesus WEP posted:

does anyone actually like assembling or is it just a thing you have to do before you get to the fun part

I’d be happy if GW did a preassembled line, and have felt this way since having to glue the faces onto the heads of my Eschers. I’m sure modders and detailing freaks get a lot out of the modularity though.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Did another one day painting session. Silver Tower coming along nicely, but still a lot to go.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't mind assembly but I will always hate having to do mold line and flash cleaning and just prepping the mini in general. I hate the look of uncleaned mold lines on a painted mini so I can't just not do it, but I maintain I would have been exponentially more productive and have a much smaller backlog if I could just impulsively grab something, prime it and go. One dude could come in twenty pieces for all I care as long as I didn't have to scrape a god drat thing off of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I find mold line cleaning surprisingly soothing so I don't mind doing it. Just a nice way to turn off your brain for a while and relax.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

New job is sucking up time, but not too much. Here enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

jesus WEP posted:

I love it, but that's because I convert everything so each model involves rummaging around in my bits box like I'm playing with lego.