Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Everyone has different tolerances for jank.

It doesn't even feel like jank. It's actually really frustrating because everything about it seems fine. The software is actually pretty good, the visuals are pretty good, the FOV is great, but it just makes my eyes hurt and I can't pin down why. If it didn't everything would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Harminoff posted:

If you like that I'd recommend xortex game in the lab it's pretty good and free.

That's actually why I bought space pirate trainer, the idea of lasers coming at my face while I hopped around and shot at poo poo was really appealing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do not try to justify your HMD opinions in this thread, it is folly.

Says you. :v:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow natural locomotion is amazing and anyone playing first person games owes it to themselves to get it. Only issue is that I tangle myself pretty easily. Still, it feels way better and doesn't hurt my head at all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

LLSix posted:

What's the scoring system for Soundboxing? I've been able to complete several songs at normal speed without missing a beat but my score tends to hover around 75% of the global leaderboards. Like 5 mill for me vs 7.5 mill for the global #1 score.
The faster your hand is moving when you hit the note the more points you get. You can see little meters in the background for how close to the max your got.

In other words it's actually sound "boxing" not just hovering your hands around to hit the bulbs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

I have the same motherboard with a Ryzen 1200 at 3.85Ghz. Look up some guides and give it a shot, it's fairly foolproof these days.

I wound up downloading the AMD Ryzen Master software. I messed with it and my PC immediately crashed at 4.0ghz. At 3.9 it would run windows, but crash while gaming, and at 3.8 it seems stable. I played Rec Royale and Minecraft VR all night at 3.8 and it was fine. Not a huge overclock, but 600Mhz isnt terrible either for stock cooling.

The Rec Royale stuttering was slightly reduced as well

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_top_vr/

VR kanojo is a 2018 top seller on steam :roboluv:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Everybody with a roomscale setup should buy Thrill of the Fight.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Shine posted:

A painful truth.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wound up downloading the AMD Ryzen Master software. I messed with it and my PC immediately crashed at 4.0ghz. At 3.9 it would run windows, but crash while gaming, and at 3.8 it seems stable. I played Rec Royale and Minecraft VR all night at 3.8 and it was fine. Not a huge overclock, but 600Mhz isnt terrible either for stock cooling.

The Rec Royale stuttering was slightly reduced as well

3.8 is pretty good. Increasing the voltage may get you over the line to 3.9 but it's probably not worth the extra heat/noise and effort getting it stable.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Green Gloves posted:

I dont have VR yet and I am split between waiting on a deal on a Rift or buying a brand new in box psvr + beatsaber & borderlands 2 bundle someone locally is selling for $180 (comes with controllers)

I have a pc with a 9700k and 1080 ti. What should I do goons?

You should buy both because gently caress it.

But forcing a choice. Pcvr. You have the ideal pc to run it. Crazy not to.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You should buy both because gently caress it.

But forcing a choice. Pcvr. You have the ideal pc to run it. Crazy not to.

Waited too long and the local deal is gone. PCVR it is. I prefer buying games and keeping on pc anywho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Green Gloves posted:

Waited too long and the local deal is gone. PCVR it is. I prefer buying games and keeping on pc anywho.

If you have the room and specs for a PC VR setup, it's a much better buy than PSVR. Not that PSVR's bad by any means (I have both myself), but you're gonna get most of the same titles anyway and some much more immersive VR experiences.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Corbeau posted:

Shine posted:

A painful truth.

Thrill of the fight is more fun than having working elbows a decade from now, yeah

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

E: like forreal when things started to get real with the lasers coming at me a dozen at a time I felt my pulse go nuts. Space pirate trainer is love
Played Raw Data for the first time last night, and the first time when robots were just coming at me and I realized they might reach me before I could kill them all, had a very visceral feeling of "oh poo poo". Definitely triggers the ol' fear reflex in a way FPSes with a similar setup do not.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

What's the scoring system for Soundboxing? I've been able to complete several songs at normal speed without missing a beat but my score tends to hover around 75% of the global leaderboards. Like 5 mill for me vs 7.5 mill for the global #1 score.

it's a multiplier based on the strength bars in back. you need to not only hit the beats but physically strike them with timed force to get the bar to maximum. its possible to 100% a song and get a very low score if you are just trying for light contact.

also, it you have any song requests let me know and I can make it for you. also also, the soundboxing discord is not super active but theres some good ppl there if you want to talk about the game more.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

It doesn't even feel like jank. It's actually really frustrating because everything about it seems fine. The software is actually pretty good, the visuals are pretty good, the FOV is great, but it just makes my eyes hurt and I can't pin down why. If it didn't everything would be great.

a lot of people are saying the fit is far more finicky and important than on gen 1 headsets. Try to take a very long time to ensure the headset is positioned in front of your eye appropriately and you are in the reportedly very small sweet spot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

a lot of people are saying the fit is far more finicky and important than on gen 1 headsets. Try to take a very long time to ensure the headset is positioned in front of your eye appropriately and you are in the reportedly very small sweet spot.

It’s the old 3DS all over again!!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
if anyone finds themselves in the boat I was in, using an underpowered card (1050 ti), the low power upgrade to the 1060 6g is a pretty significant difference in performance. I got amazon same day delivery with prime on a $248 card. works in my Dell xps no fuss.

I don't know how much time I'll have to do much vr after the holiday but I'll be more inclined if I've got some goons to ridiculous it up with in some pavlov, contractors, onward and stand out. my steam id is drjeffgoldblum if anyone wants to add me. west coast time zone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Winkle-Daddy posted:

if anyone finds themselves in the boat I was in, using an underpowered card (1050 ti), the low power upgrade to the 1060 6g is a pretty significant difference in performance. I got amazon same day delivery with prime on a $248 card. works in my Dell xps no fuss.

I did the same upgrade and I can confidently confirm that it’s a good upgrade for the price. Like I said earlier in the thread, it’s not “this is a whole new world”, but the 1060 really smooths out the bumps that the 1050 just can’t, which leads to better immersion and less barfing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShadowHawk posted:

The faster your hand is moving when you hit the note the more points you get. You can see little meters in the background for how close to the max your got.

In other words it's actually sound "boxing" not just hovering your hands around to hit the bulbs.

The Walrus posted:

it's a multiplier based on the strength bars in back. you need to not only hit the beats but physically strike them with timed force to get the bar to maximum. its possible to 100% a song and get a very low score if you are just trying for light contact.

also, it you have any song requests let me know and I can make it for you. also also, the soundboxing discord is not super active but theres some good ppl there if you want to talk about the game more.

Thank you! What's the soundboxing discord?

Do accuracy and timing matter or is it just velocity and not missing any beat balls? I've seen a lot of conflicting information and the only thing I've seen the dev confirm is that not missing any beats is super important.

I did finally manage to crack the top ten on one of my favorite challenges that has been around for a few months. Only 10th right now and my shoulders are noticeably tired in a way I don't remember them getting even on arm or benchlift days back when I went to the gym regularly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's just velocity. It's just that, it's easier to hit notes well on time because they'll be right where you want them. Too early and you're reaching out too far, too late and it's too close to get a decent swing at.

Not missing is important because it wrecks your combo multiplier.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Thank you! What's the soundboxing discord?

Do accuracy and timing matter or is it just velocity and not missing any beat balls? I've seen a lot of conflicting information and the only thing I've seen the dev confirm is that not missing any beats is super important.

I did finally manage to crack the top ten on one of my favorite challenges that has been around for a few months. Only 10th right now and my shoulders are noticeably tired in a way I don't remember them getting even on arm or benchlift days back when I went to the gym regularly.

to a degree timing can mitigate velocity. the best SB player I have ever seen has very long play sessions because they mostly use their wrist and are very accurate with the timing despite not moving all that fast. personally I prefer punching or from the shoulder or full on dancing for a much better workout and more fun play experience.

soundboxing discord is https://discord.gg/WZjGzVG

and this is my most recent challenge if you want a long fun one: https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/14eb632d-0a3d-11e9-867e-0a580a20022b

a couple messy parts but overall pretty solid for the length imo.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does anyone have experience with the vive wireless adapter? Does it work well? Does it really not introduce more latency? Should it be avoided at all costs?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Believe me, I've tried. I've spent at least five hours trying everything I can think of, including trying stuffing socks on the top/bottom to adjust the angle. Either my headset in particular is hosed, the design is hosed, or my head shape is fundamentally incompatible somehow.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone have experience with the vive wireless adapter? Does it work well? Does it really not introduce more latency? Should it be avoided at all costs?

I have one, and I love it. Really frees up your movement, and allows you to feel more immersed.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Cicero posted:

Played Raw Data for the first time last night, and the first time when robots were just coming at me and I realized they might reach me before I could kill them all, had a very visceral feeling of "oh poo poo". Definitely triggers the ol' fear reflex in a way FPSes with a similar setup do not.

For me it was getting caught in the Budget Cuts demo. I also found out I can't throw knives worth poo poo (although I read this might be a Windows MixedReality problem).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

For me it was getting caught in the Budget Cuts demo. I also found out I can't throw knives worth poo poo (although I read this might be a Windows MixedReality problem).

Naw throwing poo poo in VR is super tough even with a Rift because your brain is used to compensating for weight/angle/release timing but that doesn't actually work in VR where you're actually just timing a button release. I basically have to throw everything very gently underhanded, and everyone I've put through Accounting + also struggled to throw the brick through the window until I told them to toss it underhanded, at which point they hit it the very next shot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I tried Talos Principle VR for the first time today and the motion controls are superbly smooth. The devs obviously put a lot of time and effort into getting them right so that even a VR newbie like me can cope with the step locomotion. The locomotion configuration has lots of settings you can change independently of each other so you can set things up exactly the way you want them. The one complaint I have, and it is very minor, is that locomotion speed is hidden under game settings instead of VR controls. There don't seem to be any limits to roomscale support. I have a pretty small area, but I was able to move around inside it freely and even walk off ledges. Walking into a wall is pretty weird though. Talos doesn't let you clip through walls via roomscale, so it feels kind of like my brain ran into a wall even though the rest of me is still walking. This isn't a complaint, Talos handles walls well. Other games let you clip into or through walls, and it is terrible. I'm really impressed with how well locomotion was implemented in Talos; I wish all games would give their movement systems as much polish.

I spent most of the day playing it and haven't cleared all of the first set of puzzles yet, so it seems like there's a fair amount of content. Some of the earlier puzzles were too easy; however, difficulty ramped up quickly. The stars are really hard, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly bonus content for puzzle enthusiasts and amateur masochists.

The terrain looks gorgeous. Trees look like trees and grass looks like grass, even when you get up close. The sky just looks right for the most part and the way Talos handles horizons is fantastic. I don't want to spoil what happens when you try to walk off into the distance, but it completely fits the game's tone. You definitely should give it a try when you play it. The sculpture and walls are admittedly lacking in detail, but that just means they support the narrative of being in an artificial world even better than they would if they looked entirely real.

Throughout, the developer's devotion to producing an excellent game shines through. There are so many fantastic little details. The popup display embedded in your wrist that tracks items you recover as you solve puzzles is genius. As are the signposts that indicate which puzzles have been solved and all the ways the game provides information about what areas have or have not been fully cleared while still encouraging exploring every nook and cranny.

Bottom line: I booted it up intending to play for just 15 minutes and only stopped playing an hour and a half later because I got hungry. This seems like VR done right to me.

It's on sale for 85% off right now. Game is a steal at just $6.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Hellsau posted:

Naw throwing poo poo in VR is super tough even with a Rift because your brain is used to compensating for weight/angle/release timing but that doesn't actually work in VR where you're actually just timing a button release. I basically have to throw everything very gently underhanded, and everyone I've put through Accounting + also struggled to throw the brick through the window until I told them to toss it underhanded, at which point they hit it the very next shot.
Yeah I tried the katana throwing in Raw Data, okay I guess for things at whip distance (basically just outside of normal melee range), useless for anything far away.

I wonder if the Knuckles controllers would be any better for this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I had this with Robo Recall. The unnatural way the robots move combined with the fact that they don’t hesitate to run up on you really triggers the fight or flight response

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I tried Windlands 2 today with a friend. I thought I had my vr legs and hooooo boy was I wrong about that. We were both ready to hurl after about 15 minutes, but it was fun enough that we didn't want to stop.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
You know what game has really good throwing? Contractors. I’ve never been able to throw something so well before. It’s almost natural even with vive wands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Actually I'm pretty decent at throwing grenades in H3VR. I only blow myself up in take-and-hold like, one out of four throws.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Duck_King posted:

I have one, and I love it. Really frees up your movement, and allows you to feel more immersed.

I bought one just now, may God have mercy on me. Anything tips or things I should know that may not be obvious?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Skyarb posted:

I bought one just now, may God have mercy on me. Anything tips or things I should know that may not be obvious?

Set up is a little weird, and at first I thought mine was defective, because it didn't seem to want to connect at first, but you just have to hold the power on button for several seconds. Also, before I preferred to use my Astro A50 head phones, but it's not really an option now because the cables that connect from the unit to the HMD don't sit as flat as the stock ones, so over the ear headphones don't work anymore for me.

Aside from that, I love it.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I jumped on a $95 Lenovo explorer without controllers since I really only planned on doing flight sims in VR.

This was an awful choice because now I've discovered there are pretty much no VR controllers for sale outside of bundles, and you need them to even do simple crap like the steam vr tutorial. Are there any decent options I should keep an eye out for?

I've only been able to fiddle with the headset a couple of hours but I'm very happy with it so far.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Ok, I have been super try-harding at Beat Saber and I am getting pissed. My Rift keeps losing tracking on my right controller during a session. Its off and on and it is driving me nuts because it only seems to do it while I'm in the middle of a song. After I fail the track I try swinging my controllers around just like I would during a track and there is no disappearing controller. I swing it as hard as I can to try and dislodge the batteries and there is no losing tracking if I'm outside of a song. But as soon as I join a game it has the same problem. My system is pretty hefty (Ryzen 1950X 64GB ram and 1080ti) so I don't understand this problem.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Duck_King posted:

Set up is a little weird, and at first I thought mine was defective, because it didn't seem to want to connect at first, but you just have to hold the power on button for several seconds. Also, before I preferred to use my Astro A50 head phones, but it's not really an option now because the cables that connect from the unit to the HMD don't sit as flat as the stock ones, so over the ear headphones don't work anymore for me.

Aside from that, I love it.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm pretty excited to get my own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

jubjub64 posted:

Ok, I have been super try-harding at Beat Saber and I am getting pissed. My Rift keeps losing tracking on my right controller during a session. Its off and on and it is driving me nuts because it only seems to do it while I'm in the middle of a song. After I fail the track I try swinging my controllers around just like I would during a track and there is no disappearing controller. I swing it as hard as I can to try and dislodge the batteries and there is no losing tracking if I'm outside of a song. But as soon as I join a game it has the same problem. My system is pretty hefty (Ryzen 1950X 64GB ram and 1080ti) so I don't understand this problem.

It’s the springs and the battery position. You need supplemental springs. Check this: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/a2h7o4/psa_adding_an_additional_spring_to_the_battery/?st=JQANJYJB&sh=29a1dadb