Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"i'm not disassociating! i'm not disassociating!" stereotype shouts as he looks at the painless burn on his hand while trying to remember when he started cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

Most of those are just designed to spill air continuously, yeah. This is like squeezing air into a balloon and you get to find out whether your alveoli or the silicone gasket are the weak point in that balloon.

on the other hand it weighs less than one and a half bananas, and you can't just discount that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Most of those are just designed to spill air continuously, yeah. This is like squeezing air into a balloon and you get to find out whether your alveoli or the silicone gasket are the weak point in that balloon.

Actually let's be real here, those fans aren't going to be able to supply enough airflow to do this and at the end of the day you're just going to be breathing through the filter like a lovely negative pressure respirator with the fan fighting against you with a bonus that can kill you with a lipo battery fire

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This includes: livestock feed stores

slaps bag of cake, takes a hit off cloud of dust

"you got any idea how much dried rodent feces this bad boy puts out? hantavirus buttfucks any covid that shows up"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vox Nihili posted:

Fun fact, earthworms have been found that are allllmost this big

see, this is why I sleep in

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
inject these stories of entire school districts closing down after crashing and burning a week into reopening straight into my veins (along with all the boosters)

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/08/13/ware-county-closes-all-schools-after-sharp-increase-in-covid-19-cases/

quote:

WARE COUNTY, Ga. – After just over a week in session, Ware County Schools made the decision Friday to put the school year on hold following a “sharp increase” in the number of positive COVID-19 cases reported among students and staff.

The Southeast Georgia school system said in an email to parents it will temporarily cease daily operations for traditional and digital students and most staff members in all 11 schools through Aug. 27 and students won’t return to school until Sept. 7.

During the pause, instruction will not take place, but in-season extracurricular practices and competitions will continue as scheduled.

As of Friday, the school district there were 76 students with a positive case who have attended school during the exposure period and another 679 students who have been quarantined out of 5,900 total students. Out of 950 school employees, 67 are currently positive with the virus and another 150 have been quarantined.

lmfao they're still doing extracurricular activities. remember last fall when we found all the sports being done outside school were huge spreaders? huh hopefully we learned from that... oh we didn't? oh well

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I suspect trying to breath through a hepa filter is much more difficult than material specifically designed to be breathed through by humans.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

on the other hand it weighs less than one and a half bananas, and you can't just discount that

*angrily throws prototype mask made from two bananas in the trash*

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vox Nihili posted:

Fun fact, earthworms have been found that are allllmost this big

there's one in my pants right now, actually :grin:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Booked my third shot for this afternoon, I’m not bringing my previous vaccine card. I used all my legit info.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mod sassinator posted:

inject these stories of entire school districts closing down after crashing and burning a week into reopening straight into my veins (along with all the boosters)

if we could whip up a genuine national panic in *checks calendar* 2 weeks? that would be just great

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I suspect trying to breath through a hepa filter is much more difficult than material specifically designed to be breathed through by humans.

It's extra hard when you have two fans trying to shove extra air into your lungs and fighting you when you try to exhale lmao

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

if you can’t breathe you (probably) can’t get covid

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/08/13/ware-county-closes-all-schools-after-sharp-increase-in-covid-19-cases/

lmfao they're still doing extracurricular activities. remember last fall when we found all the sports being done outside school were huge spreaders? huh hopefully we learned from that... oh we didn't? oh well

Here, have another.

Pickens County School District decides to go virtual after emergency meeting on COVID-19 cases

quote:

The Pickens County School Board decided Friday to go virtual after an emergency meeting about the recent rise in COVID-19 cases. The board decided that all students would switch to virtual learning starting Monday. Pickens County schools started the school year on Aug. 3. The district said 534 students and 28 staff members were in quarantine.

Our governor outlawed mask mandates in schools this fall.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
lol it's not going well for colleges either, despite vaccination requirements

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/duke-unc-see-unexpected-covid-19-clusters-among-vaccinated-students/19824920/

quote:

Durham, N.C. — The school year is off to a rocky start for at least two Triangle universities. Both have reported large COVID-19 clusters before classes have even begun - and one even originated at an outdoor event.

Two new clusters at Duke

Two new COVID-19 clusters identified at Duke University involve 29 medical students and seven members of the women's field hockey team. All were vaccinated, as Duke requires.

Duke Vice President for Public Affairs Michael Schoenfeld says the cases were traced back to various indoor events in Durham. At least one was at a bar or restaurant, and others were in private homes.

Schoenfeld says about half are asymptomatic. The others have mild cold-like symptoms. The affected students will isolate for 10 days, and contract tracers will identify and test people who made contact with the students.
UNC cluster linked to outdoor event

At UNC, the cluster involves at least six School of Pharmacy students. The vaccination rate for that school is about 94 percent.

WRAL broke the news that the outbreak was traced back to an outdoor pre-orientation party for PharmD students on August 2nd.

Neel Swamy, a third-year pharmacy student and peer mentor, was at the event. He said around 150 people were there.

"All outside, no indoor component, and students were wearing masks pretty much the entire time, other than when they were eating," said Swamy, who has tested negative.

"I think it’s easy for people who were not at that event to look at what happened at the School of Pharmacy and think, 'Well, this is an example of students being irresponsible,'" Swamy said. "As someone who was at the event, and who is familiar with the pro-vaccination culture of the school, I can confirm for you that wasn’t the case."

big lol at the confirmed outdoor event with all the precautions superspreader

mod sassinator has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Aug 13, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
School plan is out and the only flaw is indoor lunch. Spaced six feet in the cafeteria. Not sure what to do about this. I may put off solving it until Monday.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Shere posted:

It's a confluence of several things:

1) Contact tracing simply isn't happening in any consistent manner in the US. It comes down to each state to do it, and it's been widely reported as a failure for any number of reasons. We can't hire enough tracers, we aren't getting consistent responses. All of it is manual and self-reported in IL specifically - if you test positive you may get a call and they'll ask you to offer up details and that's all there is to it. The fact that they've only found 7 from out of state should immediately tell you that they're absolutely not contact tracing across state lines. All of the prior year data I can find on ratios of Local/Non-Local attendance are paywalled but it's definitely not 196:7.

2) The denominator of the figure the CPH Commissioner was throwing out is wrong. There's no duty-to-report your home test kit results, and there was no duty for every concert-goer to even get tested. They're simply not going to catch any asymptomatic carriers this way, at all. Saying it's 203 out of 400,000 is misleading because they didn't actually test all 400,000 people but rather a small fraction of that went for official testing because they were concerned. Many more just chalked it up to "Festival Flu", but given that we know Delta can be carried and transmitted by asymptomatic vaccinated people it would be intensely irresponsible for a Public Health Commissioner to solidly pin only the 203 cases we've found and properly traced as the end-all be-all of spread from the event because of all of the qualifiers on that number.

3) Lollapalooza-goers are self-interested in not tattling on themselves. There's a sampling bias at play where the type of person who went to a huge in-person concert in the middle of a pandemic is also the type of person who doesn't want to spoil this type of thing going-forward by their example. This is just speculation, of course, but not factoring it in would be foolish.

thank you so much for this!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

fosborb posted:

if we could whip up a genuine national panic in *checks calendar* 2 weeks? that would be just great

4 weeks for me. Come on Florida.

Feel terrible writing that but am running out of options. We missed the deadline for non-public school options (also we hate private and charter schools) and really don't want to/can't homeschool.

Slightly related I made the mistake of mentioning to my kid that we'd signed them up for every pediatric COVID vaccine clinical trial within reasonable driving distance. They were completely thrilled, their exact words were they wanted "to be the first in the lab". We don't let them get worried about COVID, tell them that children like themselves aren't really at risk etc, but they clearly see it as a way to get back to more normal in-person schooling. They keep asking me when they might get the shot and I don't have the heart to tell them we didn't get into the trials.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

breathing through my HIPPA filter, Libs

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's honestly good poo poo that schools won't shut down preemptively, only after sacrificing at least a few hundred first and then maybe

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Covid Belt?

The Infertile Crescent?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

30-70 split on masks in Costco, these hogs are gonna fry

loaded up on essentials, resp on order, lovely last minute prep but better than nothing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

breathing through my HIPPA filter, Libs

if you put a fake mask that says this on amazon you will make ten million dollars in a day

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

here’s an easier explanation why lollapalooza isn’t a super spreader event

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My HF-803 just arrived in the mail.

I think the face piece was designed for someone with a higher nose bridge or deeper sunk eyes or something, because I find the nose bridge to be less comfortable on initial impression than my 7005, but that might be personal preference. I only got the purple filters, and overall the airflow seems to be easier than the 7005, maybe it's just because I was using hard cased cartridges with the 7005. The voice box does seem to be effective.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

McCracAttack posted:

Here, have another.

Pickens County School District decides to go virtual after emergency meeting on COVID-19 cases

Our governor outlawed mask mandates in schools this fall.

gdi you beat me.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Hi, was directed here by the Seattle area LAN thread, had some questions about making sure I had the proper parts for my respirator setup.

I got these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/HF-803SD/11487713
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D7N11/11487711

When they arrived and I realized they didn't work as is - they don't click into eachother. I called customer service, they told me I was missing this, so I ordered it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D701/11487724

So I'm waiting for that to arrive, but looking over things further, now I'm thinking I'm still dropping the ball somehow? Should I just forget trying to use the parts I have and buy other cartridges for the respirator, or is there a way not to waste the aceessories I already bought? For whatever I need to buy, are there any links to cartridges with filters recommended for both Covid and wildfire smoke that has the secure click attachment for the HF-803 sd? Thanks!

So what you have right now is a plastic retainer (D701) that is intended to snap over these filter cartridge's and then lay the N95 filter pad (D7N11) into that. The reason those N95s are so cheap compared to the N95/P100 carts is that they are intended to let you use the D8000 cart I linked in environments where the filter would get clogged before the gas/vapor filter would wear out. The idea being you can toss a new filter in the retainer over top a few times until the gas filter below it wears out to eke out some usage time in industrial usage.

For covid purpose you want either this cartridge or, if you are worried about a lot of water, this one.

They are rated X hours but for covid filtering purposes you can wear a single cartridge until it becomes too hard to breath through. I live in wildfire country and I can still comfortably get a year's usage out of one set.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

brugroffil posted:

this is how teacher vaccine mandates ought to be done:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1426277070359965697

huh. a week ago it sounded like unions everywhere were against vaccine mandates.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Good news!

Wildfire smoke linked to thousands of COVID-19 cases on West Coast
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Wildfire-smoke-linked-to-thousands-of-COVID-19-16385466.php

Wait, no this isn’t good at all

quote:

The work builds on prior studies that have shown that exposure to PM 2.5, which refers to particulate matter that is 2.5 micrometers in size or smaller, compromises people’s immunity and increases susceptibility to COVID-19. It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles.

“When you’re breathing fine particulate matter, they penetrate very deeply into your lungs,” Dominici noted.

Areas with the most coronavirus infections and deaths linked to smoke last year were often those closest to the fires.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

death

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i was just thinking that it's a good thing i have an oxygen cylinder that i was using for doing glass flameworking. i just need to get an oxygen mask or something now, just in case. it'll probably be fine though, all the hospitals are full but Governor "Kermit the Frog" Ige has expressed concern.

In all fairness, who could have seen this coming? Gotta wait and make double-dog-sure that the exact same thing that's happened everywhere else won't magically be stopped by our wishes and unicorn farts!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Hi, was directed here by the Seattle area LAN thread, had some questions about making sure I had the proper parts for my respirator setup.

I got these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/HF-803SD/11487713
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D7N11/11487711

When they arrived and I realized they didn't work as is - they don't click into eachother. I called customer service, they told me I was missing this, so I ordered it:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/D701/11487724

So I'm waiting for that to arrive, but looking over things further, now I'm thinking I'm still dropping the ball somehow? Should I just forget trying to use the parts I have and buy other cartridges for the respirator, or is there a way not to waste the aceessories I already bought? For whatever I need to buy, are there any links to cartridges with filters recommended for both Covid and wildfire smoke that has the secure click attachment for the HF-803 sd? Thanks!

I got the retainer too by mistake, because I thought it was some kind of protective case for the purple filters, but it isn't it's actually for retaining the white N95 filters you got against one of the OV/Gas filter cartridges, so you still need to either order a set of OV carts or just cut your losses and reorder the purple filters.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Today

Yesterday

All since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

Source covidactnow.org

comment: lol nebraska

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DarkEuphoria posted:

Good news!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Wildfire-smoke-linked-to-thousands-of-COVID-19-16385466.php

"It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles."

haha holy poo poo if wild fire smoke more easily spreads covid

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Tzen posted:

went and ordered some backup filters from Zoro Tools

lmao same

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

mod sassinator posted:

"It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles."

haha holy poo poo if wild fire smoke more easily spreads covid

Pretty happy I sprung for the multigas cartridges now.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

inferis posted:

here’s an easier explanation why lollapalooza isn’t a super spreader event

tbh i don't understand this response at all. are you saying that there are hordes of covid cases that are going unreported because they all died before they could get a test? or that there are tons of other festivals that are super spreaders but they aren't reported on? or simply that lolla produced tons of mild or asymptomatic cases that aren't being tracked?

the latter is what makes the most sense to me, and you ain't gonna catch me at any festivals any time soon because, well, possible brain damage. but it also seems like an outlier

maybe we just need to wait longer

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
1000s of school districts individually coming to the conclusion that the throwing endless children at a mutable virus is perhaps not the greatest plan,
so proud of the red white and blue

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DarkEuphoria posted:

Good news!

good god almighty what will they think of next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
this is more batshit wild than anything antimask karens spew at protests

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/homeland-security-warns-fresh-covid-19-restrictions-could-spark-violent-attacks-2021-08-13/

quote:

WASHINGTON, Aug 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, in a new terrorism warning bulletin, said violent extremists could view the reimposition of COVID-19-related restrictions following the spread of coronavirus variants as a rationale to conduct attacks.

the DHS says mask mandates and such will spark more terrorism attacks

LMFAO

shut down and defund the loving DHS please