Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did a DSM7 update to current this morning but for some reason it powered off my DS920+ and it wouldn't power on again with the button until I unplugged and re-plugged the power brick mains.

No panic, just really weird. Seems to be fine. I do have an unsupported memory config with a crucial 8gb stick but.. eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can anybody help point me in the right direction here? I've been tasked to research this by my boss and just clueless here.

We have a small video post-production business that has 3 workstations, in the past no more than 5 active workstations. We currently have a NAS with 96TB of Storage back at the office, all the machines connect over 10 GbE. We're all Mac based. We have iMac Pro workstations or newer M1 Max MacBook Pros.

Problem is that we went remote 2 years ago, just took our workstations home and are working off Dropbox. Since then we hired two more staff people, also working off Dropbox, but are in different states. Now we want to get back in the office because

In an ideal situation... we want a server that we can just mount Dropbox on using the native Mac Desktop app. The problem is that you can't mount your Dropbox folder on a NAS, and I am not sure why. We have an older 1 GbE external RAID that's like 16 TB that mounts via an ATTO card directly to a 2010 Mac Pro computer. We can put Dropbox on that for some reason, but the speed is slow and it's only 16TB. So I know there is a way to have an external server configured in a RAID where I can mount Dropbox onto it and connect to it with my machines. I just don't even know where to start looking at how to do it over 10 GbE as network storage.

Completely willing to buy a new server so that we can work the say we want. Ideally... it's a server in a RAID configuration that works with Mac, allows us to simply run Dropbox off of it, and all our projects go into that Dropbox folder so our local and remote employees can access everything from home.

Where do I even start researching this? Like, I'm just stumped after doing a couple days of researching things online. I see that QNAP has some Hybrid Mount features that may work. I see that some NAS manufactures have Dropbox backup options built in, but I have no idea if they work how we want them to work. Our current manufacturer of our NAS tried getting Dropbox set up on it, but they had to write some script that pulls data up/down at set intervals, and we broke it with relative ease trying to work in our regular workflow. Like we realized that project files were not updating with incremental saving. It was acting like a file repository where anything you put on one side was sent to the other, but renaming and file overwriting wasn't working how we want it to work.

Any advice?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Would switching cloud providers be an idea? Sounds like something backblaze b2 can handle; you can “sync” a folder

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone advise on the best TrueNAS configuration for a combination of 12 TB (2) and 6 TB (5) disks? My desired storage space would be 24 TB with the maximum redundancy possible. I still find ZFS confusing but it seems like I could use the 6 TB disks for a 24 TB raidz1 pool and then mirror it with the two 12 TB disks. Is there any problem with doing it in the reverse order, i.e. making a striped 24 TB vdev with the 12 TB disks, then mirror to the 6 TB disks? Any other ideas?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You can have a 3x2 striped mirror with one spare 6tb to get 24tb. You can lose any one drive or 3 specific drives.

Or you can do a 7 drive raidz2 for 30tb. You can lose any two drives.

They will have very different performance and upgrade options.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wild EEPROM posted:

Would switching cloud providers be an idea? Sounds like something backblaze b2 can handle; you can “sync” a folder

Well we also have freelancers that work remote.

The easiest way to get freelancers a project is to just share a job folder with their Dropbox account and they sync the files they need. It's dummy proof in a way.

Wish this stuff was easy to understand. I am close to saying we just need to hire somebody, but I don't even know if what we want is possible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CopperHound posted:

You can have a 3x2 striped mirror with one spare 6tb to get 24tb. You can lose any one drive or 3 specific drives.

Raidz2 is probably the better option IMO. Unlike a striped mirror where your data is IMMEDIATELY at risk (though not lost yet) when you loose a drive, you're still safe while you pop in a new one and rebuild the array with z2.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Raidz2 is probably the better option IMO. Unlike a striped mirror where your data is IMMEDIATELY at risk (though not lost yet) when you loose a drive, you're still safe while you pop in a new one and rebuild the array with z2.

Thanks, this is the info I was needing. I am getting the idea that mirroring =/= redundancy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Astro7x posted:

The easiest way to get freelancers a project is to just share a job folder with their Dropbox account and they sync the files they need. It's dummy proof in a way.

Wish this stuff was easy to understand. I am close to saying we just need to hire somebody, but I don't even know if what we want is possible.

There’s not really any good cloud storage services that can be accessed easily through an on-prem cache or a simple client running on someone’s PC.

You could do something like Hybrid Share on Synology and then deploy small two bay devices at the homes of your remote workers, put 2TB of SSD storage in there and just rely on the fact that they are unlikely to be flipping between more than 2TB of assets at a time so all their files will be served out of cache and synced back to the main repository.

Downside is you’re shipping hardware out to people and need to maintain it, will have to figure out a way to get the NAS to VPN back to your main site so that it can see a directory server, if you don’t have one of those you’ll have to set it up etc.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

There’s not really any good cloud storage services that can be accessed easily through an on-prem cache or a simple client running on someone’s PC.

I haven't used it in few years but I bet https://www.resilio.com/ is a good fit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Host your own nextcloud off your NAS?

I'm not entirely sure of your use case from what you've posted so I'm sure this is a good answer.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Hi guys, I’m fairly new to paying attention to my data needs, so I wanted to get someone to look at my reasoning:

For the last few years, I have been working on the side as an audio engineer/ video editor for a few classical musicians, some of them have become quite successful recently. The data is valuable but the budget is not crazy high.

I’m currently sitting on 13TB of media, stored on
- 3 external HDDs for long-term storage - the most important files are redundant, but not everything
- 2 external SSDs for projects I actively work on

All data is handled and worked on through a M1 Macbook + Thunderbolt Dock, everything is backed up online with Backblaze Personal Backup, also the absolute most important stuff I have a fourth time on iCloud Drive.

I’m expecting to add ~5TB of data every year and losing the stuff would be devastating to a lot of people, so I’m planning to professionalise the situation.

I have seen comments about Backblaze not being super reliable when handling more than 8-10 individual drives, so the first thing would be to create a storage array before I run into that problem. Backblaze doesn’t back up NAS’s, so it would have to be some kind of direct-attached multi drive enclosure. Icy Box seems to be the most popular and available choice for USB enclosures in my country, any experiences with that?

I also would like to have some automatic redundancy: should I go with RAID10 or RAID6? Speed is irrelevant since I don’t intend to edit on these drives. RAID6 seems to be the smarter choice for reliability, but it’s not natively supported in MacOS.

I would like to go with 4x 18TB HDDs for a total of 36TB usable storage, which should be enough for the next few years. Seagate EXOS seems to be reliable and affordable, do you share that sentiment?

Thanks!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You can definitely back up to backblaze on a nas, you just use their b2 instance instead of the personal ones. Different billing method.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Wild EEPROM posted:

You can definitely back up to backblaze on a nas, you just use their b2 instance instead of the personal ones. Different billing method.

That would be more than ten times as expensive in my use case, though. Not really feasible. :negative:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Smashing Link posted:

Thanks, this is the info I was needing. I am getting the idea that mirroring =/= redundancy.

Redundancy is anything that has the ability to survive failure. Mirroring is the simplest way to do that -- duplicate the data on more than one drive. But it's inefficient because you lose 50% of your capacity every time.

So people invented RAID5 which uses parity instead of mirroring. Parity works like this: 1 + 2 + 3 = 6. If any one of those numbers is erased, you can look at the other numbers to know what it was. And the 1 2 & 3 are your actual data, so RAID5 only "wastes" one drive worth of space on redundancy. It's more complex of course but that's the idea.

ZFS Z1 and Z2 are similar to RAID5 and RAID6, in that they use parity rather than mirroring and can survive 1 or 2 disk failures respectively.

Honj Steak posted:

I have seen comments about Backblaze not being super reliable when handling more than 8-10 individual drives, so the first thing would be to create a storage array before I run into that problem. Backblaze doesn’t back up NAS’s, so it would have to be some kind of direct-attached multi drive enclosure. Icy Box seems to be the most popular and available choice for USB enclosures in my country, any experiences with that?

I also would like to have some automatic redundancy: should I go with RAID10 or RAID6? Speed is irrelevant since I don’t intend to edit on these drives. RAID6 seems to be the smarter choice for reliability, but it’s not natively supported in MacOS.

I'm not a mac person but looking here would indicate that even the RAID10 is manually creating a nested set of raids. This strikes me as a bad idea for an enclosure and laptop setup, because I doubt recovery will be automatic if your laptop gets lost or something.

I really think that if you want to do the Icybox setup of external drives, you should use a very simple setup. Possibly just use the mirroring provided by the box itself where you get a pair of raid1s? Striping them is superfluous -- you don't need high-performance IO, and the stripe portion of RAID10 is a performance feature. JBOD them together in the OS if you want, that's super easy to recover.

However I also think with the size of data you're handling + a laptop as the main system, that moving to a NAS wouldn't be a bad idea -- especially if you want additional redundancy like raid6 or z2. It requires moving from backblaze personal to something else (B2, crashplan small biz). The question is whether the side-gig is worth that extra cost. Find a budget ballpark that makes sense first, then look at which options fit.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Redundancy is anything that has the ability to survive failure. Mirroring is the simplest way to do that -- duplicate the data on more than one drive. But it's inefficient because you lose 50% of your capacity every time.

So people invented RAID5 which uses parity instead of mirroring. Parity works like this: 1 + 2 + 3 = 6. If any one of those numbers is erased, you can look at the other numbers to know what it was. And the 1 2 & 3 are your actual data, so RAID5 only "wastes" one drive worth of space on redundancy. It's more complex of course but that's the idea.

ZFS Z1 and Z2 are similar to RAID5 and RAID6, in that they use parity rather than mirroring and can survive 1 or 2 disk failures respectively.

One other question - so let's say I have a pool of mirrored drives, let's say A1-A2, B1-B2, C1-C2, etc. Does failure of A1+A2 affect data on B1-B2, C1-C2? That was my main concern. If not I would be more open to the strategy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes. If you completely lose an entire vdev (A1+A2), you lose the entire pool.

Where things get murky between raidz2 and mirrored reliability is "how long does it take to rebuild the pool" and "how likely is it that you'll lose the wrong second device". On a striped set of mirrors you can only have guaranteed survival of a single disk failure, but you could survive up to half the disks failing if it's only one disk per vdev that fails. Rebuild time on mirrors should also be much faster since it's just "read from this disk, write to that disk". raidz2 will survive any two disks failing, but a third total loss means you've lost the whole pool, and rebuilds themselves take longer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes. If you completely lose an entire vdev (A1+A2), you lose the entire pool.

Where things get murky between raidz2 and mirrored reliability is "how long does it take to rebuild the pool" and "how likely is it that you'll lose the wrong second device". On a striped set of mirrors you can only have guaranteed survival of a single disk failure, but you could survive up to half the disks failing if it's only one disk per vdev that fails. Rebuild time on mirrors should also be much faster since it's just "read from this disk, write to that disk". raidz2 will survive any two disks failing, but a third total loss means you've lost the whole pool, and rebuilds themselves take longer.
I'd love to see the ability to drain a faulted vdev in a stripped mirror pool if there isn't a hot spare ready.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CopperHound posted:

I'd love to see the ability to drain a faulted vdev in a stripped mirror pool if there isn't a hot spare ready.

If you've got the spare capacity to do that, just have a smaller pool and keep more drives as hot spares? When you run out of space move the spares into a new mirror and add it to the pool. Adding a new vdev to a pool is fast.

IMO what they need to work on is intelligent & automatic ability to use mixed-size drives in Z1 & Z2 when possible. It feels like a lot of funky setups are the result of people trying to not waste capacity with mixed new drives and old drives. Like, in the OP's case there should be a straightforward path to make 2x12 and 5x6 into a Z1 set with 36TB plus one spare 6.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Been running FreeNAS virtualized in ESXi on a Supermicro X10SL7-F in a Node 804 for 8 years now. Retiring this setup except for the case, maybe.

Now I've got a X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1245 v6, 64 gigs of ECC, and a LSI 9207-8i on their way. Going to keep my 5x8TB z2 for now. I think my Node 804 is still the best case for the job? Any other interesting cases to look at?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone have trouble decoding 4k HDR high-bitrate streams through Plex on a DS220+ (or greater)?

I have a DS218+ that seems to just not handle it. I can't figure out what's going on with the stream, it starts up for about three seconds and then starts dropping frames like a motherfucker. It's not transcoding either it seems?

I haven't been able to debug this for weeks and I'm completely lost.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

phosdex posted:

Been running FreeNAS virtualized in ESXi on a Supermicro X10SL7-F in a Node 804 for 8 years now. Retiring this setup except for the case, maybe.

Now I've got a X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1245 v6, 64 gigs of ECC, and a LSI 9207-8i on their way. Going to keep my 5x8TB z2 for now. I think my Node 804 is still the best case for the job? Any other interesting cases to look at?

I shopped around for different cases (I think I posted about it ITT, phone posting tho so can't be bothered to link) and ended up with the Node 804, the cooling in all the other poo poo out there was just terrible. I'd vote to keep the case. I was looking for 8 drives + 2 SSD though, maybe there are more options for a 5 drive case.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone have trouble decoding 4k HDR high-bitrate streams through Plex on a DS220+ (or greater)?

I have a DS218+ that seems to just not handle it. I can't figure out what's going on with the stream, it starts up for about three seconds and then starts dropping frames like a motherfucker. It's not transcoding either it seems?

I haven't been able to debug this for weeks and I'm completely lost.

I googled Plex ds220+ and there is post after post with issues.

Here's the official comparability sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If the NAS box isn't transcoding then it shouldn't matter at all, the only thing plex is doing is a frontend to serve up the file. Reasons for it to have trouble are bandwidth getting choked or other network problems, or a problem with storage. And in both of those cases HDR vs not-HDR should have zero difference.

At that point you should look at the client, whatever you are using for playback. It's possible that the client isn't using HW acceleration to decode HDR for some reason.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Klyith posted:

If the NAS box isn't transcoding then it shouldn't matter at all, the only thing plex is doing is a frontend to serve up the file. Reasons for it to have trouble are bandwidth getting choked or other network problems, or a problem with storage. And in both of those cases HDR vs not-HDR should have zero difference.

At that point you should look at the client, whatever you are using for playback. It's possible that the client isn't using HW acceleration to decode HDR for some reason.

It’s the latest AppleTV 4K. How would I check this? I wouldn’t imaging it’s a decoder issue.

Would audio transcoding be an issue? The line goes DS218+ > AppleTV (wired) > BeoSound Stage, and I’m using 5.1 Atmos audio encoding, even though the output from the bar is 3.1

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Last time I looked it's all about the client and very few support the range of codecs needed to avoid transcoding. I think the main recommendation is a Nvidia Shield.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s the latest AppleTV 4K. I wouldn’t imaging it’s a decoder issue.

Absolutely could be. You can have hardware decode support for every codec known to man, but that doesn't mean a particular piece of software knows how or agrees to use it.

Also Apple doesn't have hardware support for AV1 decode on any of their own chips, including the M1, so if you're testing out something like a 4K HDR trailer in AV1 format that's a problem. I don't have a GPU with AV1 decode either, grabbing a 4k HDR demo video off youtube in AV1 eats like 30% CPU on my desktop -- a 3700X. So yeah I think the A12 chip in an apple TV might struggle with that.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How would I check this?

Play the vid:
1. Through other software. looks like there's a VLC client for apple TV so that'd be a decent thing to try.
2. With the plex client but not from the plex server, from a SMB share or USB stick or whatever.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I can play the video fine on my Mac when just mounting the volume and opening it directly. What video/audio codec should I use for the AppleTV+beosound setup then?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I seem to recall ATV users having some issues with particular codecs. Have a check in the Plex thread

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm visiting my sister and noticed her Synology has constant CPU & disk activity. Task Manager shows it's the cloud sync process, but the cloud sync process shows it's up to date and nothing needs to be synced.

I updated to the latest DSM 7.0.1 and the latest Cloud Sync package, but the issue still occurs.

I came across this post describing the same issue: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/124380

Somebody in that thread mentioned changing the sync direction to "Upload local changes only" resolved the issue for them, however when I follow the directions to do that I don't see anywhere to click "Task settings" in the UI:

Nothing related to sync direction shows up in the "Settings" section either:

edit: Of course as soon as I post the question I found it, you select the task from the list and then click Edit!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've never used a Synology before but a client wants to back up one PC so I'm going to suggest an off the shelf 2 bay NAS. Is a Synology a good choice? I was thinking the DS720+ in case they want more disks later. I guess a follow up question is if it's worthwhile to add more RAM and an NVMe cache disk if it's just going to get a few hundred GB a week written to a couple of 16TB WD Red Pro disks. I figure those kinds of things are more useful if you're using the NAS to do more than just host mirrored drives but I'm not 100% sure since I'm used to FreeNAS and ZFS wanting a good amount of RAM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If the use case is just to back up a PC then I'd say no to the nvme, and you'll probably be just fine with the stock 2gb, but given the price it would probably be a no-brainer to just throw the upgraded 4 in there for overhead. That's not because I don't think 2gb will be fine for a plain and simple network storage device, but more because it's 2022 and the thought of anything with 2gb RAM is just gives me anxiety for no good reason :haw:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Is there anyone in the thread that's familiar with the IBM 3524? I picked up one of these to hopefully use as an upgrade for my DS3200 (I've got this basically maxed out at a 18TB volume and there's about 1TB left on there), since it supports disks larger than 2TB and has 24 slots. Plan is to try to use SATA disks, but I'm having trouble getting it to actually activate the drives I've been using to test before I start shelling out money for larger disks.

I have picked up a cheap actual IBM-branded array sata disk, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience and could point me to SATA disks that would provide a good storage amount (thinking 4TB or so) and will work with the array.

Let me know, thanks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody have a good idiots guide to setting up a nut server on an rpi?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Is there anyone in the thread that's familiar with the IBM 3524? I picked up one of these to hopefully use as an upgrade for my DS3200 (I've got this basically maxed out at a 18TB volume and there's about 1TB left on there), since it supports disks larger than 2TB and has 24 slots. Plan is to try to use SATA disks, but I'm having trouble getting it to actually activate the drives I've been using to test before I start shelling out money for larger disks.

I have picked up a cheap actual IBM-branded array sata disk, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience and could point me to SATA disks that would provide a good storage amount (thinking 4TB or so) and will work with the array.

Let me know, thanks.
Are you sure it's a model that's meant to operate without a storage processor, or that it can do SATA and not just SAS?

As an example of how finicky this stuff can get, the EMC KTS-STL4 is an enclosure that can have two controllers with two ports, but both slots need to be SAS controllers and only the controller on the bottom supports SATA disks - though if you manage to get the right model, it works just like a regular SAS enclosure with SES functionality.
If you mistakenly buy the models with a FC controller you're poo poo out of luck because that seems to need a Clariion CX4, or a combination of a Storage Processor Enclosure and Standby Power Supplies which use the 8P8C connector that looks like RJ45 but isn't.
Best of all, it needs power for both the PSUs in order to power up all the disks.

e.pilot posted:

Anybody have a good idiots guide to setting up a nut server on an rpi?
Here's the first result on DDG - if that's not good enough, there's a homelab thread and a self-hosting thread.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 15, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

That would be more than ten times as expensive in my use case, though. Not really feasible. :negative:

You definitely want this data backed up on something other than your NAS, I'd recommend looking into using rclone or duplicacy (https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy) to trick services like Google Workspace ($12 a month for "unlimited") into thinking you're backing up a folder from your PC instead of NAS.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Are you sure it's a model that's meant to operate without a storage processor, or that it can do SATA and not just SAS?

As an example of how finicky this stuff can get, the EMC KTS-STL4 is an enclosure that can have two controllers with two ports, but both slots need to be SAS controllers and only the controller on the bottom supports SATA disks - though if you manage to get the right model, it works just like a regular SAS enclosure with SES functionality.
If you mistakenly buy the models with a FC controller you're poo poo out of luck because that seems to need a Clariion CX4, or a combination of a Storage Processor Enclosure and Standby Power Supplies which use the 8P8C connector that looks like RJ45 but isn't.
Best of all, it needs power for both the PSUs in order to power up all the disks.

Here's the first result on DDG - if that's not good enough, there's a homelab thread and a self-hosting thread.

It's designed for direct connection to a machine or you can set it up as a sort of NAS. Either way connectivity is managed through storage manager.

It's not a SAN.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

It's designed for direct connection to a machine or you can set it up as a sort of NAS. Either way connectivity is managed through storage manager.

It's not a SAN.
Anything FC is a SAN if you add a FC switch :science:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welllll gently caress, a week after I install non-supported RAM in my DS920+ I get a BTRFS volume corruption error.

Spent the better part of the night trying to repair but instead I just backed up all the critical-critical-critical stuff to a slow rear end USB2 drive and blew the synology away. Disappointing.

My immediate investment now is to buy a good usb3 external drive to do nightly backups. I slacked getting around to doing this and paid the price.

Pulling the non-supported RAM for the time being while I restore. Got to decide what my next step is, if I even want to pop it back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My sister has been using a Synology DS916+ and frequently uses an application called Photo Mechanic to go through large folders of photos (often 3000+ pics) over an AFP share. It's really slow though to do the initial import into the app. It looks like Photo Mechanic writes lots of small files back to the NAS to store metadata. This doesn't seem well suited to spinning disks. I was wondering how much of a difference there would be with a DS920+ and some NVMe cache drives for this type of usage.

I tried switching to a SMB share and the performance seemed even worse. Maybe it would be better to copy the folder to her local machine, do what she needs to do in Photo Mechanic, and then copy the folder back to the NAS when she's done.