Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
All the creeps who have been outed lately have had this exact same kind of "gossip" around them for years and the same detractors who had a problem with it not being reported on "correctly" when the whole loving point is that THEY CAN'T. Even gossip rags won't report on this sort of thing before it becomes abundantly clear that a reputable source will be breaking it anyway. I got really uncomfortable with Kevin Spacey yeeeears ago because I read about a bunch of men's experiences with him. I vividly remember getting yelled at by an aquaintance for voicing my discomfort with watching House of Cards because I had heard that he was a creep.
Looking forward to when they finally bust Jared Leto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
... Eeeeh allegedly

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I mean, that's still a far better reply than implying I am a weasle that sympathizes with rapists.

The fact that Twitter is covering it would have been fine if I could understand what it was saying. Like, I STILL haven't gotten an answer to whether or not the guy convicted is Dan or not, despite it being a simple yes or no and being plainly worded. All I want is the story in one cohesive format. It's not even about "proper channels" so much. I just want the loving story in a format I can understand, but somehow that makes me a piece of poo poo?

Like, I wasn't even gonna mention it in here but god drat it, I am a rape survivor myself. Grouping me in with the same kinds of people in my family who look the other way regarding my cousin and what he did to me for 3 years fuckin hurts, especially when you're just asking for some understanding.

Edit: PS, I already just assume the worst of everyone. The rich and powerful don't get a pass. I am a filmmaker, myself. I know how toxic these types can be first hand (not to imply I've worked with people horrible enough to imply I've been successful, per se)

Edit 2: and yes I know it goes beyond film and TV. That I even feel the need to clarify that is kinda stupid, guys.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Oct 15, 2019

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not that I doubt that guy is capable of everything mentioned there since I’ve already seen the pics of him clinging to little girls and obsessing over their feet on Twitter, but I don’t put a lot of stock in some rando twitter account claiming to have some sort of scoop. Why would anyone choose them out of any possible way to get the word out? Are they someone important or especially capable of helping that I’m unaware of?
I realize that technically, any anonymous account can say anything they want, but here's the thing. 4chan & other trolls have tried starting these rumors about people who weren't guilty of them, and they went nowhere. Because when you just make an account claiming "I'm a 17-year-old girl and Seth Rogen raped me" (this was one I saw, iirc), and no one has ever seen Seth Rogen act creepy with teenage girls, the story is almost certainly going to die. People just see it, roll their eyes and move on.

So when one of these anonymous stories is getting liked and shared & talked about, that's at least a pretty strong indication that people who know something, or have heard rumors, are boosting it because it rings true or they have knowledge that it's true.

It's not the same as proof - rumors can be widespread but false - but if you don't know anything else about it & you see something like this getting a lot of response & retweets, it's a good bet that there's a real story.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I know I am besting this poor dead horse for no good reason, but as someone who had never heard of Schneider before all this, That doesn't really hold up ONLY because, well... who? Ya know? But I can only speak for myself, there.

I legitimately don't know what the name recognition for Dan Schneider is, but I know I saw it and was like "oh poo poo, who's this predator?"

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Ugh, tried to fix a typo and double posted again. I keep hitting quote. Sorry.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Oct 15, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I am a dummy who is having a really hard time changing "besting" to "beating" and I need sone loving sleep so i can, at the very least, stop doing the accidental quote insyead of edit

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Oct 15, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In before quadruple post

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Gee, Rickey, I'm sorry your pedophilia blew up

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
yeah, I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with me and posting today (aside from the fact I haven't been able to sleep in days). Christ.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I STILL haven't gotten an answer to whether or not the guy convicted is Dan or not, despite it being a simple yes or no and being plainly worded.

No, he's not been convicted of anything, let alone legally charged so far as I can tell.

The recent stuff with Alexa Nikolas is the only thing that's gone beyond rumor and innuendo, which is all that's gonna be out there in the absence of someone willing to put their name out publicly since even tabloids need that fig leaf of cover to avoid being sued into insolvency when they accuse someone of Schneider's means of something like this.

Right now, all that anyone can say for sure is that there's a lot of rumors about him getting overly touchy with actresses on his programs, that he had a long Twitter history of posting pics of said actresses feet which he recently scrubbed selectively from his Twitter history, that Nickelodeon cut ties with him after 24 years but won't say why, and that Alexa Nikolas VERY recently documented his behavior on Instagram.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Azathoth posted:

No, he's not been convicted of anything, let alone legally charged so far as I can tell.

The recent stuff with Alexa Nikolas is the only thing that's gone beyond rumor and innuendo, which is all that's gonna be out there in the absence of someone willing to put their name out publicly since even tabloids need that fig leaf of cover to avoid being sued into insolvency when they accuse someone of Schneider's means of something like this.

Right now, all that anyone can say for sure is that there's a lot of rumors about him getting overly touchy with actresses on his programs, that he had a long Twitter history of posting pics of said actresses feet which he recently scrubbed selectively from his Twitter history, that Nickelodeon cut ties with him after 24 years but won't say why, and that Alexa Nikolas VERY recently documented his behavior on Instagram.

Appreciate you filling me in on that. Does Nick not have someone else who was at least charged, if not convicted? I felt like I read that somewhere, but it may have been yet another detail I'd gotten confused.

I understand what you mean about them not being able to run a story without more backing it, though--just asking for a libel suit from someone too powerful to fight. gently caress, that's sad. I guess the best hope I have is that Nikolas coming forward could be the first step that's needed toward justice. Probably not, unfortunately, given the world we live in, but possibly. Kinda grasping at straws for silver linings and coming up way short. Good fit for the thread.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
:woop:The Tamam Shud man is getting exhumed:woop:

One of those who invested years of their lives investigating the mystery of the Somerton Man, Professor Derek Abbott, has a theory about who he is.

And in a bizarre twist of fate, he married a woman, Rachel Egan, who he believes is the Somerton Man’s granddaughter.

Ms Egan told Australian Story he thought the professor was a “nerd” who showed an unusual interest in her ears and teeth, when she first met him at a Brisbane restaurant.

“He wanted to look at my ears and my teeth. He was also after my DNA,” Ms Egan says. “It’s probably the first request I’ve had from a man to do that.”

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Appreciate you filling me in on that. Does Nick not have someone else who was at least charged, if not convicted? I felt like I read that somewhere, but it may have been yet another detail I'd gotten confused.

I understand what you mean about them not being able to run a story without more backing it, though--just asking for a libel suit from someone too powerful to fight. gently caress, that's sad. I guess the best hope I have is that Nikolas coming forward could be the first step that's needed toward justice. Probably not, unfortunately, given the world we live in, but possibly. Kinda grasping at straws for silver linings and coming up way short. Good fit for the thread.

I can't remember the dude's name, but the guy at Nick found guilty of child sex offences and then rehired wasn't Dan. (E: it was Brian Peck.) To the best of my knowledge, the main Twitter thread that set off the accusations against Dan is https://mobile.twitter.com/nadiasoinski/status/1121237630241452037?lang=en. Obvious trigger warning but it's pretty difficult to read because of content. If the Twitter format is annoying to read (it is) here it is in Thread Reader format, which stitches all the Tweets together.

Whitlam has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Oct 15, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Whitlam posted:

I can't remember the dude's name, but the guy at Nick found guilty of child sex offences and then rehired wasn't Dan. (E: it was Brian Peck.) To the best of my knowledge, the main Twitter thread that set off the accusations against Dan is https://mobile.twitter.com/nadiasoinski/status/1121237630241452037?lang=en. Obvious trigger warning but it's pretty difficult to read because of content. If the Twitter format is annoying to read (it is) here it is in Thread Reader format, which stitches all the Tweets together.

Th--thanks? I mean, I appreciate the info but fuckin' jesus christ, people. I was honestly really hoping I had made some mistake and this hadn't happened.

That'll show me.

Edit: also, thanks for the thread reader app thing. I have a twitter but I won't pretend I am well versed at using it, so that helped a lot.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Terra-da-loo! posted:

... I guess the best hope I have is that Nikolas coming forward could be the first step that's needed toward justice. Probably not, unfortunately, given the world we live in, but possibly. Kinda grasping at straws for silver linings and coming up way short. Good fit for the thread.

Amanda Bynes also came forward a couple years ago, revealing that he :nws:raped her then paid for an abortion, and how that ruined her dreams of having kids in the future, but it was brushed off as part of her “breakdown”. Similar things have been said involving Jamie Lynn Spears, whose first kid looks a bit too much like Schneider.

Bynes was essentially force-fed Adderall to maintain her manic character, and was repeatedly told by Schneider that she was too fat for any man to ever love her.

Schneider was paid $7 million to leave Nickelodeon. Hollywood is super cool and great.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Whitlam posted:

Jesus. That is some hosed poo poo.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Busket Posket posted:

Amanda Bynes also came forward a couple years ago, revealing that he :nws:raped her then paid for an abortion, and how that ruined her dreams of having kids in the future, but it was brushed off as part of her “breakdown”. Similar things have been said involving Jamie Lynn Spears, whose first kid looks a bit too much like Schneider.

Bynes was essentially force-fed Adderall to maintain her manic character, and was repeatedly told by Schneider that she was too fat for any man to ever love her.

Looking at her fame and behaviour and family, I assume Lindsey Lohan went through some pretty similar stuff. Mara Wilson wrote an article for Cracked (a million years ago when Cracked was good) called "Why Child Stars Go Crazy (An Insider's Perspective)" which is worth a read. Doesn't make any specific allegations as far as I can recall, but she does say "no poo poo there's a lot of child abuse around and it's everywhere".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Fun little update about all this

https://twitter.com/mansaidkill/status/1184139855950794752?s=19

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that the fat kid from head of the class

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yep

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSFuDzh2-g

From that twitter thread- so loving creepy on the first watch even to largely oblivious me then reading the comments there's people pointing out other details and ugh. Then there's a comment from seven loving years ago laying out the allegations pretty much perfectly. The whole thing is hosed up but that video disturbs me more than a lot of stuff I have ever seen on the net

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh hey, there goes another piece of childhood :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Randaconda posted:

oh hey, there goes another piece of childhood :smith:

You really gotta stop holding onto those things, they turn on ya.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

From that twitter thread- so loving creepy on the first watch even to largely oblivious me then reading the comments there's people pointing out other details and ugh. Then there's a comment from seven loving years ago laying out the allegations pretty much perfectly. The whole thing is hosed up but that video disturbs me more than a lot of stuff I have ever seen on the net

Username/post.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brawnfire posted:

You really gotta stop holding onto those things, they turn on ya.

i never learn :negative:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
randy johnson
2 months ago
You noticed that Ariana Grande is a actress and knows cameras are all around her? Yet she chooses to lay on the floor like that. You also noticed that Ariana Grande now "sings" and dresses like a two dollar whore for attention. She wanted attention then and she wants it now.

never change, men on the internet, never change

e: wait, please change

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

DesperateDan posted:

edited to include...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

randy johnson
2 months ago
You noticed that Ariana Grande is a actress and knows cameras are all around her? Yet she chooses to lay on the floor like that. You also noticed that Ariana Grande now "sings" and dresses like a two dollar whore for attention. She wanted attention then and she wants it now.

Hoooooly poo poo that's gross straight up goddamn sick. Like, unwell.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nope too late it’s binding you agreed

Now let me tell you why the real villains in the Nickelodeon story are the tween girl sluts trying to trap innocent job providers like Dan

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

randy johnson
2 months ago

:wtc:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Terra-da-loo! posted:

edited to include...
Hoooooly poo poo that's gross straight up goddamn sick. Like, unwell.
This entire genre of "underage girl in heavy makeup" reads like a trap. A whole bunch of middle aged men all show up eager to work on the latest show and Chris Hanson is there to meet them. "Have a seat. Why do you want to be a producer on iCarly?"

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We interrupt this pedo broadcast to bring you breaking horrific news from the daily mail:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7575595/Family-lived-Dutch-cellar-nine-years-discovered.html

Father and six adult children who lived in Dutch farmhouse cellar for NINE YEARS waiting for the 'end of times' are discovered after one escapes and asks for help in nearby bar

Well, they didn't really live in the cellar all the time, but the farm was super isolated and surrounded by trees so no one could see in or out. And there are conflicting reports whether the 'father' is really the father. But close enough!

"Dutch police have found a father and six 'adult children' living in the cellar of an isolated farmhouse waiting for the 'end of times'.

Officials found a secret staircase behind a cupboard leading down to the basement after they were called to the secluded property in the village of Ruinerwold in the northern province of Drenthe.

There they found a man lying in a bed and six adults aged between 16 and 25. Some of those freed 'had no idea that other people existed'.

Local media said the family were found after a 25-year-old entered a nearby pub in a confused state on Sunday, drank five beers and then asked for help, saying he had not been outside for nine years.

Police arrested a 58-year-old man at the scene for failing to cooperate with the investigation, but he was not the father.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family 'have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the 'end of times'.'

Drenthe police said: 'All scenarios are still open. Our research is in full swing and we cannot share more information at this time.' The location of the mother is unknown, but officials told RTV it's possible she's 'buried' on the farm.

'They lived an isolated lifestyle,' he said, adding that they had been living on the homestead for the past nine years and several of the children 'had not been taken up in the birthing register'.

The owner of the bar, Chris Westerbeek, told RTVDrenthe he had spoken to the 25-year-old man who told him he had 'run away and needed help. Then we called the police.'

He said the man, whose beard was 'dirty' and hair unkempt, said that he had been inside for nine years and that he wanted to end the way his family were living. "

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

e: ^ please don't read the daily mail and even if you find a story from there find a better source before linking it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

randy johnson
2 months ago

This is maybe not the take away from the whole thing that I would have gone for.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

This entire genre of "underage girl in heavy makeup" reads like a trap. A whole bunch of middle aged men all show up eager to work on the latest show and Chris Hanson is there to meet them. "Have a seat. Why do you want to be a producer on iCarly?"

This reminds me of a podcaster, I think the Crime in Sports guys, who said that no one eager to coach Little League should be allowed to do so, and it should only be coached by hungover dads who had to be talked into it.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

InsertPotPun posted:

All entertainment should follow horror movie casting where teenagers are all played by 30-something actors using outdated slang.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

cinni posted:

Local media said the family were found after a 25-year-old entered a nearby pub in a confused state on Sunday, drank five beers and then asked for help, saying he had not been outside for nine years.
dutch courage!

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
A really weird one going on in the Netherlands: https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/10/man-arrested-in-drenthe-farmhouse-mystery-is-not-the-father-mayor-says/

Apparently, from what I gathered so far:

A super disheveled dude starts showing up on and off at a pub in Ruinerwold, the Netherlands. Long hair, unkempt beard, wearing 80s clothing and acting generally sort of confused and unhinged, locals figure he's some bum showing up, though they've never seen him before. Eventually some alarm bells go off for the bartender who calls the police, and the man leads them to his house.

There they find he is the oldest of 6 siblings aged 18 to 25, and that he is the only one of those six who has left the basement of the house in 9 years. They had no idea there were people other than them on Earth and had ben holed up in the basement all their life because "the end of times had approached". The mother had passed away years ago, before they moved.

The father was bedridden after a stroke some years ago, and they were apparently fed by a housekeeper who tended to a vegetable farm and some goats in the garden. The housekeeper was the one renting the house, and was seen by neighbours driving in and out of the village daily. They assumed he was either sort of a recluse or a guy secretly growing weed in the basement or something - apparently he had boarded up all windows in the farm and was generally very unfriendly to neighbours.

The housekeeper has been arrested and is not cooperating with the investigation. Apparently the entire farm is fenced off with security cameras all over, so it's looking like a guy just kept an entire family trapped in a basement for 9 years because ?????

edit: drat i got beaten, but at least i have better information

dutch language sources i got this from: https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1950120606/drents-gezin-schuilt-jarenlang-in-afgesloten-ruimte-boerderij
https://nos.nl/artikel/2306196-gezin-jaren-afgezonderd-in-boerderij-ruinerwold-wachtend-op-einde-der-tijden.html

apparently the housekeeper is an austrian guy named jozef, you can't make this poo poo up, this timeline is insane

cgfreak has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Oct 16, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Stolen from another thread

Trigger warning: infant buried alive

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

e: ^ please don't read the daily mail and even if you find a story from there find a better source before linking it.

Never gonna stop reading the ridiculous dailymail and sharing the absurd headlines and dubious stories because they are often entertaining. I don't think this thread is requiring comprehensive footnotes on everything. Either don't read it and never hear about it, or read it and take it for what its worth as human entertainment, or research the story yourself for more information if you must know the absolute truth about the kind of weird puff pieces and horrible tragicomedies they put out. I am not your curator, buddy.

Plus its a good lesson in not believing everything you read or giving so much trust to only certain kinds of media. Its ok to enjoy a story simply for its ourageousness.

cinni has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So how many times did it take him to convince people? Because if a disheveled dude had started showing up at my usual bar knocking back beers and telling people he had eight siblings at home who lived in the basement and never left because they all thought the world had ended... I wouldn’t exactly believe him at first, yeah?