Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Smythe posted:

do you suspect these "amazon delivery men" are disguised burglars? disgruntled ex boyfriends aiming to ransack and rape? al qaeda?

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

shitface posted:

Volkswagen is literal the dullest most "I have given up and have a toddler already" choice in Europe. it's weird that's it aspirational or pretentious here

sorry that's actually volvo

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Smythe posted:

do you suspect these "amazon delivery men" are disguised burglars? disgruntled ex boyfriends aiming to ransack and rape? al qaeda?

letting people you don't know into a building is bad op-sec. maybe a disruptor lives there, and counter-disruptors are trying to sabotage xer project. also, if they do a crime you're liable.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 29, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i thought it was opel

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hey I like my smugmobile

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
bullshit, $18/hr

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shitface posted:

Volkswagen is literal the dullest most "I have given up and have a toddler already" choice in Europe. it's weird that's it aspirational or pretentious here

what's the perception of american brand cars over there

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Dutch prosecutors: raids on Uber offices in Amsterdam in taxi probe

quote:

Dutch prosecutors said on Tuesday they have raided Uber's European headquarters in Amsterdam in a criminal investigation into whether the car-hailing company is offering illegal taxi services.

In a statement, the Netherlands' national financial crimes prosecutor said it believes Uber has continued allowing drivers without taxi licenses to offer paid rides via its UberPOP service, despite previous fines of 450,000 euros.

Agents from the country's Transport Inspectorate have seized administrative records from the company, it said.

:getin:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

"good job buying yourself a lemon"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"how do you even park that"

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

"haha, how do you go round corners?"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

i thought it was opel

opel/vauxhall(:britain:) are down with Ford in the 'how is it possible to make so much of a car out of plastic' section

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

"Make as much as you want"

If you arent independently wealthy after a month you didnt want it enough :chord:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah one of my friends uses Float On in portland

yeah it's a sensory deprivation center named after a modest mouse song. we know what city it's in

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

this has sort of been a thing in the UK for a while now, the garbage tier delivery companies are actually random guys with vans that are subcontracted by the delivery co.

it works exactly as well as youd imagine a system incentivised by number of deliveries made does i.e. not at all. just last week i saw a guy jump out of a van, dump an amazon parcel in the street in front of a house, knock once then sign the delivery tracker himself and drive off with the box just left out in the open. hope there wasn't anything valuable in it!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah it's a sensory deprivation center named after a modest mouse song. we know what city it's in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZklwTGZutc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shitface posted:

even weirder since vw has been cheapening their us market cars to better compete with the japanese brands, so they're not even as good as their european counterparts

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ludwig van Halen posted:

oh and don't you dare sell or trade in your suburban-esque smog dispenser

most dealers won't touch a TDI trade in now.

also there's a big difference between the GTI volkswagens and the TDIs. the GTIs are DB magnets like you wouldn't believe meanwhile the TDi is basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CxUZQUJpg4

but you know... more pollution and hard to find a mechanic.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

quote:

What do I need to make deliveries?
We are looking for drivers who are at least 21 years old and have a car and a valid driver’s license. You will also need an Android phone and will need to pass a background check. We’ll provide access to the app and opportunities to deliver.

pretty slick trick there, making sure to only hire people who make poor decisions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

this has sort of been a thing in the UK for a while now, the garbage tier delivery companies are actually random guys with vans that are subcontracted by the delivery co.

it works exactly as well as youd imagine a system incentivised by number of deliveries made does i.e. not at all. just last week i saw a guy jump out of a van, dump an amazon parcel in the street in front of a house, knock once then sign the delivery tracker himself and drive off with the box just left out in the open. hope there wasn't anything valuable in it!

pretty sure that's basically a thing among garbage cheapo delivery companies in the us too. amazon is just cutting out the middlemen

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
They're are companies in the usa like Labor Ready that are people on demand for all sorts of stuff. We use them for heavier delivers of customer's machines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i once talked to a european who was baffled that asian car brands are just a bit less popular than domestic ones in america, and that most european brands have scraps of the market if any at all.

why the hell did he think we'd buy citroens instead of toyotas

i like that in america its pretty much just the post office, ups, and fedex. maybe once in a while a company decides to be weird and you see the yellow DHL van

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i drive a toyota, and i like it

my next car will probably also be a toyota :)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have owned my current car too long and i now i cant bring myself to get rid of it :smith:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
capitol ruins everything around me

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

i once talked to a european who was baffled that asian car brands are just a bit less popular than domestic ones in america, and that most european brands have scraps of the market if any at all.

i like that in america its pretty much just the post office, ups, and fedex. maybe once in a while a company decides to be weird and you see the yellow DHL van

At least the OnTrac guy rings my doorbell. The FedEx guy in my neighborhood said he refuses to deliver packages to any house with a gate, no matter how small, just in case there was a dog. I told him I owned no dog and my gate was 3 feet high. He explained he couldn't be sure there wasn't a dog.

That's my story

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i hate this cyberpunk future

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Panty Saluter posted:

I have owned my current car too long and i now i cant bring myself to get rid of it :smith:

my old rat bug has been in my garage needing several k of welding done for three years now; she should go to a new loving home but :smith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

google trying to out-creep Facebook on the ad targeting front

quote:

Google will let a retailer you've shopped at upload your email address to Customer Match so that it can serve up ads while you're watching YouTube, searching Google for related products, or checking your Gmail inbox while signed into that email account. The ad product also lets companies create a general audience profile based on existing customers' habits and interests to target new customers when they use Google services.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

don't worry, i'm sure no retailer would willingly go out of their way to upload their customers' emails to an advertising network, right?

just kidding, google will incentivize them with $$$ and they'll respond by flooding google with all your data

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

my old rat bug has been in my garage needing several k of welding done for three years now; she should go to a new loving home but :smith:

Yeah my car doesn't need anything that drastic but i think i would feel better if i knew it went to a person who would actually drive it and not just gunk up the cylinders and never shift higher than 2500 rpm

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

computer parts posted:

well ford is ford and they've always been there. perceived as a low to middle choice. better than they were pre-focus when they decided to actually fit locks that couldn't just be opened by sticking a random coat zipper or screwdriver in. it's only relatively recently that gm/chevy even turned up. I've never once seen a camaro or corvette on a uk road though, just the little shitboxes they sell. I don't think an "american sports car" is considered a good bet due to whole "being bad" thing

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oh go gently caress yourselves

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

oh go gently caress yourselves

we see you are interested in "gently caress yourselves" and travel. we will now customize every ad to be for destination bdsm vacations. hope you never logged into gmail on your work computer!

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

ive always assumed they were already doing that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

i talked with some germans for a bit and they were very surprised that the best selling cars were toyotas and hondas. they didn't understand why they wouldn't be american cars.

shitface posted:

well ford is ford and they've always been there. perceived as a low to middle choice. better than they were pre-focus when they decided to actually fit locks that couldn't just be opened by sticking a random coat zipper or screwdriver in. it's only relatively recently that gm/chevy even turned up. I've never once seen a camaro or corvette on a uk road though, just the little shitboxes they sell. I don't think an "american sports car" is considered a good bet due to whole "being bad" thing
opel/vaxhaul have been wholly owned by gm since 1931.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

surprised it took this long what with Jeff being an Uber investor and all

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

opel/vaxhaul have been wholly owned by gm since 1931.

that I did not know. still, point stands, gm/chevy as a brand are a recent addition in the uk

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

i talked with some germans for a bit and they were very surprised that the best selling cars were toyotas and hondas. they didn't understand why they wouldn't be american cars.

well 1/3 of the time the best selling vehicle is a ford f150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

i think DHL either got sued or edged out of the home delivery market so the DHL vans can only deliver to businesses and act as middlemen. at least that's what they told us when we were making poo poo for them at my last company, feel free to fishmech this information.

• Locked thread