Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Triangle Strategy is genuinely great. I’ve just started before going on holiday and I can’t wait to get back to it. It’s really finely tuned.

It really is. I expected to be kinda underwhelmed by it like Octopath but instead it's one of my favorite games of the year and I played through four times so I could see as much of the story as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'll be honest Octopath soured me pretty bad so I haven't bothered w triangle strategy as a result. Oh you know what I should pick up a physical copy so I can just sell it if I don't like it

As for octopath, yeah nothing that hasn't been said before, I found the formulaic approach to every chapter super boring and I found myself wanting a more traditional experience after a dungeon or two. Great sprite work tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I'll be honest Octopath soured me pretty bad so I haven't bothered. Oh you know what I should pick up a physical copy so I can just sell it if I don't like it

It's much much better than Octopath. Instead of having eight disconnected stories that just kind of awkwardly have the other main characters silently tagging along, it's one big story with a lot of branches (because it's inspired by Tactics Ogre). If you play through blind you'll run into a surprising number of genuinely difficult decisions where it's not clear what the right thing to do is, which is pretty cool. It's a well-made tactics RPG on top of that.

FFT/Tactics Ogre fans I think were initially disappointed that there's no class system, but I think it works out in the game's benefit. Every unit is completely unique and they're all useful, so there's a lot of fun to be had just coming up with different group compositions.

It also has the same producer as Octopath but for the most part it was developed by a completely different studio (who seem to have learned how to apply the HD-2D style better, too).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I'll be honest Octopath soured me pretty bad so I haven't bothered w triangle strategy as a result. Oh you know what I should pick up a physical copy so I can just sell it if I don't like it

As for octopath, yeah nothing that hasn't been said before, I found the formulaic approach to every chapter super boring and I found myself wanting a more traditional experience after a dungeon or two. Great sprite work tho

There’s a demo. Try that out?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One note about the demo is that it's got a lot of story exposition. The game frontloads its exposition pretty hard, and while it's all stuff you end up needing to know for the whole story, it can feel like a lot, and I know some people who ended up loving the game almost didn't keep playing past the demo portion because of the pacing. Things get smoother as you go on and the stakes in the story get higher.

Then again some people (like me) were hooked from the start, but y'know.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
You know no classes actually sounds kind of nice, I enjoy a good class system when they're implemented well, but sometimes it's just added stress/ micromanagement because you don't want to end up going down the wrong rabbit hole since grinding is always a bit more painful in strategy RPGs

Y'all convinced me though, adding triangle strategy up there with Kirby as my next must gets. I'm mopping up the first great Ace attorney game before I make a new full price purchase but I'm already in case 4 so I'm pretty close

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh the grinding thing is interesting in TriStrat, too.

The way it does EXP is that units get EXP for every action they do based on the recommended level for the battle, rather than what specific action it was or what level the target was or anything like that. (They get bonus EXP for kills I think, too.) This EXP scales dramatically. If a unit is more than 3 or 4 levels below the recommended level for the battle, they gain a full level's worth of EXP per action, so they catch up super quickly. It's pretty nice and made it easy to catch up units I'd left on the bench for a long time when I decided I wanted to try them out.

A couple times I brought characters who were like 8 levels underleveled into story battles and by the halfway point of the fight they were almost caught up and contributing just fine. I probably wouldn't do that on hard mode but for my first normal mode playthrough it worked out just fine.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why is Nintendo Life reviewing a sixth of the Booster Pack at a time rather than just review the entire thing once it comes out

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Why is Nintendo Life reviewing a sixth of the Booster Pack at a time rather than just review the entire thing once it comes out
Because then they can publish six articles instead of one, meaning six times the clicks and ad impressions.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Who reads a review of a Mario Kart track?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Because then they can publish six articles instead of one, meaning six times the clicks and ad impressions.

Exactly. I also can't really fault them or anyone for doing this. There will likely be 6-7 reviews in total for all of this stuff; one for each release and then maybe another that re-reviews either just the entirety of the DLC, or maybe the entirety of MK8D + DLC.

I'm kinda surprised that anyone would be surprised by that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I like how the Attract Screen in mk8d will include the new tracks when you let it idle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Willo567 posted:

because that would be stupid

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
So if I haven’t bought Xenoblade 2 at all, it would make the most sense to buy Xenoblade 2 and the expansion pass if I want Torna as well?

Thanks for the clarification.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It would make even more sense to not buy Xenoblade 2 at all since it's a bad game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played a Xeno game since Saga. I barley remember anything about it, since I kept falling asleep during the cut scenes, and the controller shaking on the floor would wake me up during all the explosions. I ended up finishing the first one, but I only remember one boss having the weirdest gimmick I have ever seen in an rpg. The thread convinced me they probably got things figured out now by Xenoblade Chronicles 3. So I got it, and I hope it's good. But I swear to god if this is another "gaslight everyone into buying Mario Golf" situation. :argh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Who reads a review of a Mario Kart track?

Bored people who have a tiny computer in their pocket at all times probably

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hrist posted:

I haven't played a Xeno game since Saga. I barley remember anything about it, since I kept falling asleep during the cut scenes, and the controller shaking on the floor would wake me up during all the explosions. I ended up finishing the first one, but I only remember one boss having the weirdest gimmick I have ever seen in an rpg. The thread convinced me they probably got things figured out now by Xenoblade Chronicles 3. So I got it, and I hope it's good. But I swear to god if this is another "gaslight everyone into buying Mario Golf" situation. :argh:
XC3 is great and Mario Golf is great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I know next to nothing about this game (series?) besides the name, but the trailer makes it look a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics. Is it like Final Fantasy Tactics? If I like those games, will I like this one?

Yes you should play this

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hrist posted:

What was the gimmick

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Foul Fowl posted:

What was the gimmick
You get your weapons from a slot machine and also they have huge titties and you can gently caress and cum on them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

American McGay posted:

You get your weapons from a slot machine and also they have huge titties and you can gently caress and cum on them.

Weird, I think I'd remember the game having that function when I played it.

(Also that's 2 not 1)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

what's the bad part

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Totes brah hell yeah sex!!!

High five/5

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

American McGay posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I don't understand... A few days ago, my Switch was overheating from Fortnite.

I took the case off.

I cleaned the vents.

Seemed to work fine but now it overheats after maybe ten minutes of Mario Odyssey.

45 minutes of Doom 2016? No problem! Oh, wait, Mario wants to throw his cap? Fuckin' too hot, man. Too hot.

I guess I'll try and maybe fix up the thermal paste or really clean out the fan, but what the hell?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like your Switch is right buggered mate.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

Sounds like your Switch is right buggered mate.

Try unstickying your wicket, guvnor

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess I'll try and maybe fix up the thermal paste or really clean out the fan, but what the hell?

I've got a replacement fan and fancy screwdriver in the mail but they might not show up 'til just before I've gotta travel so I'll trip report on how a replacement does but maybe not for 2-3 weeks.

In the mean time, we keep stopping 2omnium Files in weird places.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

that’s a weird mechanic to introduce out of nowhere for a single boss fight, sounds like xenosaga was a pretty wild ride

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've got a replacement fan and fancy screwdriver in the mail but they might not show up 'til just before I've gotta travel so I'll trip report on how a replacement does but maybe not for 2-3 weeks.

In the mean time, we keep stopping 2omnium Files in weird places.

I appreciate this, thanks.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
me and my 4yo son yelling together throughout the entirety of lap 2 in Kalamari Desert makes the DLC 100% worth the asking price

tragically, Waluigi Pinball is not quite the banger I remember it being. Something about the scale or layout of the level feels very different. Music still rules tho

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Very excited for the tactics ogre remake coming to the switch.

Now let’s get a new ogre battle game, or even a remake of March of the black queen.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So uhhh....Divinity: Original Sin 2 is half off in the eshop.

I might just bite the bullet and get it, even though I already have too many games. :shepspends:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How does Divinity run on the switch?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How does Divinity run on the switch?

Apparently runs at a decent framerate and the worst that I've seen people say about it is that it 'obviously looks inferior to the PC version' but not in any detracting way.

If anyone can confirm/dispute that, I'd love to hear it.

I'm mostly worried about the 'initial' load time because I tend to hop between games, but otherwise i feel like once I get into the groove i'll stick with it...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Know something? I like Yoshi's crafted world. It's cute, has some clever art, and super easy. Bunch of nintendotubers dumping on it, but I enjoyed the 3ds yoshi wooly game, and this feels like more of the same.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Yoshi’s Crafted World is a great chill game. The collectibles are a little excessive but can easily just ignore them. The game is so cozy and charming.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Yea I too enjoyed yoshi’s crafted world.. could’ve had more unique music tracks would be my only main gripe. Otherwise it was very chill and charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

B33rChiller posted:

Know something? I like Yoshi's crafted world. It's cute, has some clever art, and super easy. Bunch of nintendotubers dumping on it, but I enjoyed the 3ds yoshi wooly game, and this feels like more of the same.

It's fine for a playthrough, just gets very repetitive if you want to engage with it beyond finishing a level and moving on to the next.