Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand, it's pretty much what the Americans did to capture Baghdad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baghdad_(2003)#Thunder_Runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand, it's pretty much what the Americans did to capture Baghdad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baghdad_(2003)#Thunder_Runs

The US had the benefit of a professional force well-schooled and coordinated with vicious air and artillery support and a totally surprised and unprepared enemy. The Russian troops rolling into Grozny were conscripts and their plan of advance was an uncoordinated mess, their air support was made useless by weather conditions (outside of a few choppers), and the Chechens were prepared and able to concentrate their attacks on the single Russian armored column that penetrated deeply into the city. What followed made Black Hawk Down look like a loving tea party.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

While true, increasing back armor at the expense of front armor does not improve survivability. In fact, it does the opposite. Don't wade into the fray without support. If you have lighter allies screening for flankers and rushing ambushers, you're less likely to be surrounded and torn to pieces.

Its really counter-intuitive but it used to be (It may still be for all I know) that the most weakest part of a tank was the underbelly because you can in fact pitch a tracked vehicle up so that you could take multiple potshots at it from afar in certain types of terrain. I don't really remember if it was a problem with tracked vehicles in general or a limitation in the power of the tanks.
EDIT:
No. It was the terrain which made city fighting look like you were fighting on the Savannah.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 13, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The tops and bottoms of tanks tend to be less armored than other parts, though turret roofs are typically thicker than the engine deck. Typically underside armor is thickest at the front and then gets thinner the further back. Not gradually, though, but in steps.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Magni posted:

Grozny, New Year's Eve 1994/95. The Russians went full :downs:, trying to just roll a bunch of tank columns right into the city center in a coup de main and got their poo poo ruined by chechnyan RPG teams firing from the buildings, scoring loads of side and top hits. End result was them losing more than 200 tanks and IFVs and suffering hundreds of casualties. They rolled in expecting something like Budapest in 1956. What they got was more like Budapest in 1944.

The Russians did learn from it, though. They had infantry clear the city block by block and used shitloads of artillery and air support to systematically level any major obstacles. The whole thing became pretty ugly and there wasn't much of an intact city left by the end of it, with civilian deaths being estimated as high as 30,000.

Also, with the :spergin: out of the way, that's an awesome painting.

It also led to the development of this monstrosity:

quote:

The BMPT armament includes:

* two 30 mm 2A42 dual-feed cannons with 850 rounds
* two AG-17D 30 mm grenade launchers with 600 rounds
* four launchers for the 130 mm 9M120-1 Ataka-T ATGM
* one 7.62mm machine gun PKTM with 2,000 rounds
* 2x5 81mm smoke grenade launchers
* additional weapons can be installed

The vehicle is protected by passive and reactive armour.

It's pretty much a real-world Battletech tank with half a dozen different types of weapons pointing in all directions.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Jesus christ, that thing looks like the development result of a Gundam after a dozen remodels.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it reminds me of how Orks would modify a tank.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

Jesus christ, that thing looks like the development result of a Gundam after a dozen remodels.

So... battletech?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Touche :golfclap:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dear god this thread is huge! But I have finally managed to read through this beast, and arrived at the end timesposts! Really loving the alternate-history setting PTN. Also, thanks to (I think) Zaodai and Defiance Industries for mentioning this thread in the MWO thread, I'd somehow missed it entirely. Reading all the fluff/fights that PTN's been tossing up has been pretty awesome, though I am greatly saddened by the lack of Cappellan BadasseryTM in the thread. For Shame.

On that note, I'd like to be added to the pilot list if I can! I have PM's and can toss out my email if you'd rather have that PTN.

Watching the <REDACTED> reveal and just how lucky they got was pretty much how I expected things to go. They're no joke, and PTN didn't even treat you guys to LEG ATTACKS from them as I recall which are probably the nastiest thing they can do!

Also, all the people who were hating on the Naga like 500 pages ago are using it wrong. It's not an artillery machine, it's a 5/8 light/medium mech hunter that gives no fucks about your precious "movement mods" or "cover". No, it just aims in your general direction and blast armor off of you all over. God help you if it is allowed to carry cluster rounds (they use the punch table!). Then once you eventually fall over and black out from head hits, it blast your head off with it's ERMLs. :rms:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

It's a mile long by now, but I have PMs and what looks like more free time in my future, so please add me to the pilot list if possible.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Firemoths have weird arms because they were designed to carry giant duffel bags full of Elementals in the fluff. More or less.

I don't believe Elemental carriage was mentioned at all in the original TR3050 (1990). Maybe in the revised one they came out with in 1996 (without the Unseen). For the record, RoW didn't come out until 1994. My books are still at my parents' in Illinois, but when I go to Gencon and visit my family afterwards, I'll see if I can look it up. Of course, that is a month away...

The sarna link for Battletech products tells you how things have... evolved over the years (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_products).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Judicator65 posted:

I don't believe Elemental carriage was mentioned at all in the original TR3050 (1990). Maybe in the revised one they came out with in 1996 (without the Unseen). For the record, RoW didn't come out until 1994. My books are still at my parents' in Illinois, but when I go to Gencon and visit my family afterwards, I'll see if I can look it up. Of course, that is a month away...

The sarna link for Battletech products tells you how things have... evolved over the years (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_products).

Sarna's Firemoth page claims it was that way in the 3050, 3050 Upgrade, and 3050 Revised v:v:v I've read approximately none of those firsthand.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think I bought my first BT book in 92 or so, it was the 3050 TRO and it definitely mentioned Elementals being carried around and had the Unseen in it still. Might have been the Upgrade book, I'm not sure.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I was going to check my copy, but I can't find it (it's probably still in a box).

This mission has 72 hours, and then I'm going to pull the plug. All that's left is mop-up, and while I hate to just let the Bobcat get away I do think this mission has been otherwise very successful (and proof that even subpar `Mechs* like the Shadow Hawk and Hermes II can be useful). I know our Valkyrie pilot is out of town; and ordinarily I'd be more than happy enough to wait or find a temporary replacement; but this mission is already starting to drag on and I don't want the thread to die because I was lenient with order deadlines.

*Just not the Sentinel. gently caress the Sentinel.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
the 3050u TRO does mention Elementals being carried around, first on pages 112 and 114.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Get those orders in and kill that loving Bobcat.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Artificer posted:

Get those orders in and kill that loving Bobcat.

Seconded. I really want to see that fucker get taken down after all the trouble he's caused you guys. Sure, the mission could still be counted a success if he gets away with the rest of the lance that already booked it, but I'd feel like it would be a hollow victory.

Still, I guess if they're driven off and a couple of you guys are still alive, it could still count as a victory. Just not a very fulfilling one.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

*Just not the Sentinel. gently caress the Sentinel.

Wow, PTN, wow. I have lost a lot of respect for you. Everybody knows that the Sentinel is an abominable mech. No need for you to make it feel worse. Pick on something that can actually defend itself.

Although I will admit the Royal and the Davion RAC variant are both solid mechs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If the Bobcat manages to survive the next round again, I will laugh uproariously. I'm halfway hoping it does, just to see everyone's head explode :tizzy:-style

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GhostStalker posted:

Seconded. I really want to see that fucker get taken down after all the trouble he's caused you guys. Sure, the mission could still be counted a success if he gets away with the rest of the lance that already booked it, but I'd feel like it would be a hollow victory.

Still, I guess if they're driven off and a couple of you guys are still alive, it could still count as a victory. Just not a very fulfilling one.

I think we all feel likewise, but we can't force orders if someone's dragging. As much as we'd like to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm sure the hold up is intense strategic debate over the sheer possible number of targets and options.

They could shoot the Bobcat, or not shoot the Bobcat, or... uh...

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
I'm sure the hold-up is trying to figure out precisely how the Bobcat will move so that they can figure out how to keep everything pointed in the right direction with relatively decent attack rolls.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Valkyrie's pilot is out of town. He's got leeway, I'm just getting tired of going over a week at a stretch without being able to update.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
It doesn't really matter because if the Bobcat is still standing next turn I think the entire remains of goon lance will commit ritual suicide.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Valkyrie's pilot is out of town. He's got leeway, I'm just getting tired of going over a week at a stretch without being able to update.

Could be worse, could be waiting forever and then the updates could suck. At least we don't have that problem here.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

cafel posted:

It doesn't really matter because if the Bobcat is still standing next turn I think the entire remains of goon lance will commit ritual suicide.

Simultaneous overrides of fusion engine safeties, and then proceed to Stackpole?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cafel posted:

Kurita spy spotted!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

landcollector posted:

Simultaneous overrides of fusion engine safeties, and then proceed to Stackpole?

If Stackpoling has splash damage then I see potential in this plan.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

The Casualty posted:

It does. I don't know the exact number of hexes, but it does do area damage and it gets less and less as you get further from the hexes immediately surrounding the exploding mech.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

Chronojam posted:

Sarna's Firemoth page claims it was that way in the 3050, 3050 Upgrade, and 3050 Revised v:v:v I've read approximately none of those firsthand.

I have TR3050, revised Third Printing, from 1990, and it states that "aech OmniMech has handholds constructed on the 'Mech's toros to allow up to five Elementals to attach themselves to the 'Mech transport" on pg 225.

If I remember right, when I bought that book I also got one of the Battletech cartoon toys (the Thor) from the same store. 8 year old me was pleased (and confused that that config of the Thor wasn't in the TR.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

propatriamori posted:

If I remember right, when I bought that book I also got one of the Battletech cartoon toys (the Thor) from the same store. 8 year old me was pleased (and confused that that config of the Thor wasn't in the TR.)
It was in the cartoon sourcebook instead to make you buy it too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arquinsiel posted:

It was in the cartoon sourcebook instead to make you buy it too.

Is that the one with the missions for the Somerset Strikers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

Is that the one with the missions for the Somerset Strikers?

Those missions were all retarded (I owned that sourcebook--I can't find it though). I'm talking four `Mechs vs. two stars of Clan omnis retarded.

The only thing of value in the Somerset Strikers book was the EI implant rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, they were pretty drat stupid for the most part. Some of them weren't hideously imbalanced, but they were doable if you paid attention to the win conditions.

I rather liked the command console use, it was a really clever "tech piece" unit when you stick it on the Packrat. Other than that it was kind of useless, unless you REALLY want a 50 ton VTOL aerofighter with two engines and a pair of medium lasers.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Casualty posted:

For an unintentional detonation it's, IIRC, engine rating/10 to all adjacent hexes and then halved every hex of distance you get past that down to engine rating /40 for something 3 hexes away.

Intentional detonations do full damage to anything inside the hex (yes, a Charger blowing itself up does *400 damage*), half damage to anything adjacent, and then halved every extra hex of distance. Fear the Charger with a Booby Trap. Sure it's gonna have no armor and no weapons, but do you need them, when it going boom will deal the damage of 10 King Crabs focus-firing on you?

(also you can flip the self-destruct at ANY TIME, including during the movement phase, IIRC).

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

MJ12 posted:

For an unintentional detonation it's, IIRC, engine rating/10 to all adjacent hexes and then halved every hex of distance you get past that down to engine rating /40 for something 3 hexes away.

Intentional detonations do full damage to anything inside the hex (yes, a Charger blowing itself up does *400 damage*), half damage to anything adjacent, and then halved every extra hex of distance. Fear the Charger with a Booby Trap. Sure it's gonna have no armor and no weapons, but do you need them, when it going boom will deal the damage of 10 King Crabs focus-firing on you?

(also you can flip the self-destruct at ANY TIME, including during the movement phase, IIRC).

In the case of a deliberate detonation, does the pilot get to eject (or at least attempt to), or is it strictly a "kamikaze" attack?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Red_October_7000 posted:

In the case of a deliberate detonation, does the pilot get to eject (or at least attempt to), or is it strictly a "kamikaze" attack?

I think you can attempt an ejection, but really what the booby trap works best with is robot vehicles or remote-piloted drones.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Those missions were all retarded (I owned that sourcebook--I can't find it though). I'm talking four `Mechs vs. two stars of Clan omnis retarded.

The only thing of value in the Somerset Strikers book was the EI implant rules.

I think I remember hearing positive things about the Axman variant but I haven't seen the book or played with the designs themselves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

propatriamori posted:

I think I remember hearing positive things about the Axman variant but I haven't seen the book or played with the designs themselves.

The -2N? That thing is loving garbage. Replaces the AC/20 with two LRM-15s. My melee weapon-toting mech's main guns probably shouldn't have a minimum range of 6, especially when my movement profile is 4/6.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Defiance Industries posted:

The -2N? That thing is loving garbage. Replaces the AC/20 with two LRM-15s. My melee weapon-toting mech's main guns probably shouldn't have a minimum range of 6, especially when my movement profile is 4/6.

The answer is obviously upgrading the axe to a giant tomahawk.

• Locked thread