Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I used Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie and had all three all-party buffs, it was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Volt Catfish posted:

naoto is bad in the original

I wasn't really thinking about the original, but yeah, she is. She lacks any single-target offensive attacks and the best thing she has, Megidolaon, will chew through her SP. All the other characters have much more reliable means of dealing damage. Pretty much every time I used her against any boss she got relegated to item duty. Golden makes her much more flexible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sukukaja is really good because dodging things is great especially when paired with the MC using Sukunda.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yosuke's really not that great, but it's fine. His biggest problem is that his pair up attack is with Teddie and they share the same weakness.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I stuck with Yosuke and Yukiko for the whole game. I used Chie until I got Teddie. I never used Kanji or Naoto even once

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm not a big fan of Yosuke mechanically. He has sort of passable damage between Boosted and Amped Garu and Brave Blade but definitely nothing to write home about. He's fast, but agility only effects turn order if you fail to get an advantage against regular enemies (against bosses it always uses MC/Slot1/Slot2/Slot3/Boss as the turn order iirc) which barely ever happens. Sukukaja is the worst buff since you don't really miss much in P4 and unlike Press Turn games misses don't deprive enemies of extra actions so it's basically a less reliable Rakukaja. Single target healing is kind of bad past the early game, especially since he never gets Diarahan. All he's really got that's unique to him is Dekaja, which is niche but useful occasionally, and Tentarafoo, which is terrible. Of course, the game is so easy that your choice of party members doesn't really matter but Yosuke is definitely the second worse character in P4 after Naoto.

Sukakaja is still a great buff, I'd say it's better than Rakukaja except against say the ultimate bosses. Being able to evade attacks completely means Yukiko/Teddie are free to attack and pile on more damage. Magarudyne is, in fact, unique to him and P4MC, and Naoto has enough problems juggling with skill slots than you can just have Yosuke handle Garu. He does learn Diarahan in P4G, but you do have to give up five days to spend on bikes. It's still better than nothing. In fact, taking movies into account Yosuke has overall the best stats of the party members; he won't max Str or Mag, but he has high 70s in every stat but Luck.

If we're considering the whole game, I'd say Chie is the second worst in vanilla P4 simply because she's so far behind everyone else mid-game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sukakaja is still a great buff, I'd say it's better than Rakukaja except against say the ultimate bosses. Being able to evade attacks completely means Yukiko/Teddie are free to attack and pile on more damage. Magarudyne is, in fact, unique to him and P4MC, and Naoto has enough problems juggling with skill slots than you can just have Yosuke handle Garu. He does learn Diarahan in P4G, but you do have to give up five days to spend on bikes. It's still better than nothing. In fact, taking movies into account Yosuke has overall the best stats of the party members; he won't max Str or Mag, but he has high 70s in every stat but Luck.

If we're considering the whole game, I'd say Chie is the second worst in vanilla P4 simply because she's so far behind everyone else mid-game.

Pretty much this. Yosuke might not be optimum party material at the very end of the game, but he's certainly optimum party material for the whole rest of it. Do not underestimate Boost + Amp Magarudynes on a quick character, either. Against most bosses Dekaja and Diarama will save turns for the MC/Yukiko and his damage output is above average though not fantastic.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Naoto, Kanji and Yukiko are a prime team for P4G.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nessa posted:

This was my team in P4 Normal. By the end of the game Noato was one-shotting every random spawn, and while you'd think she'd be dead weight in boss fights her Almighty spells, decent physicals and speed enough to capitalize on items carried her well.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Nessa posted:

I finished P4G with Santa MC and reindeer kanji, naoto, and teddie. That is the Prime Party.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I played through P4G as the Feathermen. Persona 6 will be sentai persona.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ruggington posted:

I finished P4G with Santa MC and reindeer kanji, naoto, and teddie. That is the Prime Party.

No Dojima MC, no sale.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So how good is Teddie? I kinda wanted to use him but also didn't because he's Teddie. Is he just a worse, more annoying Yukiko like I thought?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nephthys posted:

So how good is Teddie? I kinda wanted to use him but also didn't because he's Teddie. Is he just a worse, more annoying Yukiko like I thought?

Essentially yes. He has to waste more skill slots to do what Yukiko can do without much trouble. Also I'm fairly certain his SP pool is smaller than Yuki's as well. But really Kamui Miracle is super bad compared to Burning Petals.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FauxGateau posted:

Essentially yes. He has to waste more skill slots to do what Yukiko can do without much trouble. Also I'm fairly certain his SP pool is smaller than Yuki's as well. But really Kamui Miracle is super bad compared to Burning Petals.

Teddie's main selling point is access to Matarukaja and Marakukaja, which are nice but don't really make up for having worse stats and a more annoying elemental weakness than Yukiko, especially if you're using Kanji since he also learns Mataru anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I picked up SMT IV, is there anything I should know before starting? I'm familiar with all the SMT games on PS2 as well as Strange Journey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I picked up SMT IV, is there anything I should know before starting? I'm familiar with all the SMT games on PS2 as well as Strange Journey.

The big thing is that levels are a lot lot lot less important than in any other SMT games.

SMT4 has no defensive stats aside from elemental resist/null/ect. You can take on extremely powerful foes early on but in reverse you can get nuked down by surprisingly weak foes. So it's best to build your characters for high-damage alpha strikes.

If you want to make a phys-based character Dex is a way more important stat than Str.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The big thing is that levels are a lot lot lot less important than in any other SMT games.

SMT4 has no defensive stats aside from elemental resist/null/ect. You can take on extremely powerful foes early on but in reverse you can get nuked down by surprisingly weak foes. So it's best to build your characters for high-damage alpha strikes.

If you want to make a phys-based character Dex is a way more important stat than Str.

Thanks, glad I asked since otherwise I was gonna play it like Nocturne and put a ton of points into Str.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've maintained for a while that top to bottom Yosuke is the best overall party member besides the MC in P4, since he can accomplish essentially any task but also just good enough at each one that he's not really a jack of all trades master of none. For example Magarudyne probably made the majority of my mob kills because it hits just hard enough and he goes first. Brave Blade isn't quite as good as Primal Force but it'll still hit for around the same level of damage which means if Rise Power Charges the party all of a sudden you can have two Kanji's ready to reel off a 1500+ damage attack. In P4G his buff is actually arguably more important since dodging enemy attacks is all you can do to protect your weaknesses. And if you cast that buff with his third tier skill you probably don't have to use Yukiko for healing which means another round of Amagidyne from her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Thuryl posted:

Teddie's main selling point is access to Matarukaja and Marakukaja, which are nice but don't really make up for having worse stats and a more annoying elemental weakness than Yukiko, especially if you're using Kanji since he also learns Mataru anyway.

Having Teddie supply Mataru means Kanji won't have to do it, which is a double blessing since it frees up his meager SP pool and allows him to focus more on piling on damage. Maraku isn't as important once you get Mediarahan, unless you're fighting say Margaret, so Teddie really only has to supply Mataru and maybe Masukakaja. He has arguably the worst damage in P4G, with Naoto getting lots of buffs and Teddie getting... Gigantic Fist, but he also gets a really nice spread of resistances with his January Persona (absorbs Ice, null Wind and Dark).

His stats are spread pretty poor though, not gonna lie, and this carries over to PQ.

Yukiko works better with Chie (who can supply all three buffs), while Teddie syncs better with Yosuke, who can use Masukakaja/Youthful Wind to free up a turn for him.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Also, Luck increases your chances of smirking, doesn't it? If so, you definitely need to put some points into that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yukiko works better with Chie (who can supply all three buffs), while Teddie syncs better with Yosuke, who can use Masukakaja/Youthful Wind to free up a turn for him.

Incidentally, those also happen to be combinations that enable follow-up strikes for All-Out Attacks.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

GimmickMan posted:

Pretty much this. Yosuke might not be optimum party material at the very end of the game, but he's certainly optimum party material for the whole rest of it. Do not underestimate Boost + Amp Magarudynes on a quick character, either. Against most bosses Dekaja and Diarama will save turns for the MC/Yukiko and his damage output is above average though not fantastic.

Yeah, I just gave him an accessory to boost his wind damage and random battles became games of "what resist wind damage". Which in the last two dungeons doesn't seem to be much.

E: I should note, I've only played vanilla P4. I'm pretty sure all the love thrown the other characters way makes it so that his sheer versatility isn't near as pronounced or useful.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BrightWing posted:

Yeah, I just gave him an accessory to boost his wind damage and random battles became games of "what resist wind damage". Which in the last two dungeons doesn't seem to be much.

E: I should note, I've only played vanilla P4. I'm pretty sure all the love thrown the other characters way makes it so that his sheer versatility isn't near as pronounced or useful.

Not really. Naoto and Rise got the most buffs in the transition. Kanji and Yukiko got exceptional tools, but nothing that deviates them from their original gameplan, just extended their superiority over Chie and Teddie in some departments. Chie only really got one good buff in January (and -maybe- Hamaon), while Teddie is still Teddie (the only good things he probably got were new resistances and Evade Physical).

As such, Yosuke still fills his role solidly. His S. Link being easy to raise means you can get Diarama by Rise's dungeon if you wanted to, which makes him a good supplemental healer. Agility is still great. He learns Power Slash in P4G to fill in the gaps in his mid-levels, but you'll still almost never use it in favour of Garula at that point. His weakest point is still in the middle before he learns Magarula, but aside from Naoto learning Garudyne now nobody matches his versatility and skillset.

Endgame he falls off a bit because the girls all get such great skills, but he's still a solid B-pick. More than can be said for Teddie who got left behind in the cold.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Srice posted:

Also, you probably want to grab a world map at some point because when go to Tokyo, pretty much all the directional instructions are done with the assumption that you know the area of Tokyo.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Okay, is there a way in SMT4 to prevent the fucker Walter from loving switching sides and Agi-ing the Minotaur, resulting in a :smug: bullman chaining party wide attacks until my team is ground into dust?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Restarting until you don't get Walter.

As someone who is just about to finish SMT4 for the first time, Neutral route: SMT4 is not a well designed game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, is there a way in SMT4 to prevent the fucker Walter from loving switching sides and Agi-ing the Minotaur, resulting in a :smug: bullman chaining party wide attacks until my team is ground into dust?

Isn't it random who the game pairs you up with when the other Samurai are with you? Savescum until you get Isabeau, I think she uses Bufu.

e:f,b. I wish I could disagree with Terper's post though, there's so many baffling lovely little chance-based things that I wish I could open the game in a hex editor and fix forever.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Really only resetting until someone besides Walter as your partner. The AI usually will only make that mistake once in my experience, but sometimes that once can be enough for a wipe.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So far, out of 5+ attemps, it's always been Walter. :suicide:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

e:f,b. I wish I could disagree with Terper's post though, there's so many baffling lovely little chance-based things that I wish I could open the game in a hex editor and fix forever.

Same. As much as I like the game, there are so many things I just can't defend. I had this brilliant idea to complete the Compendium. About two days of resetting the game to get just one Famed demon, and trying to savescum Chemtrail into showing up disabused me of that notion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have gotten three Famed demons in my run and it keeps loving me over every time because I just want to fuse my poo poo. :argh:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Setting you up with a guest member of random choice is one of the design decisions in SMTIV that I really hate. It would have been better if they were either selectable, or removed altogether. If they were selectable, it could have even added some affinity mechanic that'd play into the different routes or something.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Finally sent that cow to a quiet farm upstate where it can gaze at trains all day long. :black101:
And suddendly the game's atmosphere's a lot better. I like digging into decaying modern settings.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I specifically loved how the people of Mikado refer to super-hi-tech with magical terminology, because of course Burroughs is a magical sprite dwelling in an enchanted Gauntlet, and naturally you "scry" on your trainees instead of monitoring their position via comms.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from violently smashing two or more demons together until a new demon emerges somehow

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

LordMune posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from violently smashing two or more demons together until a new demon emerges somehow

I feel like The Theory of Everything should have focused more on Stephen's greatest creation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SMTIV feels custom designed to gently caress over completionists which is pretty much my main complaint against it. I really, really wanted to fight all the Fiends but after spawning one I realized I'd never have the patience to find even one more. Hiding your best and most fun optional bosses behind insane RNG is utterly baffling to me.

I loved the game otherwise, but the RNG needs to be toned down for SMTV.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm getting ready to start my first MegaTen game and it's going to be Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's better to start with the more-accessible game (P4) and take the opportunity to learn about the series, systems, etc. and then move on to Persona 3 to use what you've learned in the game that might be a little harder to pick up, or will the gameplay enhancements and improvements in Persona 4 make it too tough to go back to 3 once you've played the newer (arguably better) version?

Hope that even makes sense, but I don't have a ton of time to play JRPGs so I want to make sure my massive time investment is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'd say start with Persona 3 but if you can go with Persona 3 Portable over FES. Portable has all the quality of life improvements of the original P4 and The Answer is pretty much a big grind and you might as well just look up the cutscenes for that