Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Thirding diet ginger ale. Or any ginger ale. Ginger tea? Ginger is so good. Settles the stomach and tastes great.

edit: Made myself a cold ginger sweet tea with lime. Yum.

Oh man, you know what? Good iced tea is great. I will drink the whole drat pitcher of iced tea if you leave it with me. Big old glass of sweet tea (I actually like mine half sweet with lemon or lime) can only endear you to people.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arnold Palmers for life

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arnold Palmers are great, but good luck finding one that doesn’t use sugar or caffeinated tea.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wiggles got to be Wiggles.

How about Moxie Cola?

Moxie rules.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Arnold Palmers are great, but good luck finding one that doesn’t use sugar or caffeinated tea.

I'd imagine it would be difficult since sugar and caffeinated tea are 2 of the 4 ingredients in an Arnold Palmer

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A decent children’s menu, that is smaller, less spicy versions of dishes on the menu, rather than chicken nuggets

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Scientastic posted:

A decent children’s menu, that is smaller, less spicy versions of dishes on the menu, rather than chicken nuggets

This is something I'd like to see more of too. Then maybe all the parents with noisy brats can stay out of good restaurants.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Not likely, I don't take my kids to nice restaurants for the menu, I take them to annoy people like you.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hot takes all up in here today

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having once been a small child, I didn't appreciate being dragged to random restaurants where there wasn't anything fun or tasty.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Having once been a small child, I was super pissed to order off the kids menu. The grownup stuff was where it's at.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Having once been a small child, I was super pissed to order off the kids menu. The grownup stuff was where it's at.

this.

also it seems like more parents these days are actually making an effort to get their kids into real food earlier, but that's probably skewed by the parents I know

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Veritek83 posted:

that's probably skewed by the parents I know

My stepbrother's five year old eats nothing besides mac and cheese with ketchup at restaurants.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It's funny to look at Korean peeps' kids' weird eating habits

Know a dude whose kid will only eat snails and rice and silkworm larva and t wo other things

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It's funny to look at Korean peeps' kids' weird eating habits

Know a dude whose kid will only eat snails and rice and silkworm larva and t wo other things

Is this in Korea or in the US? Because in the US you can only get silkworm canned and they suck

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I ordered off the kids menu until no longer able, with the exception of splitting with my parents. I was NOT adventurous about food up until the last 7 years. Kids menus are awesome.

TINY DESERTS. I just want a coffee and a tiny scoop of ice cream or something little, I can't do a giant piece of pie, no matter how good and chocolate peanutbutter, directly after a meal.

Scoop of ice cream IN the coffee. That is all I want.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I tried kicking my stove to full heat to see how hot I could get my wok and ended up burning the leftover rice I was going to use for fried rice and setting my apartments smoke alarm off for 15 minutes.

So how is everyone else’s day going?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think the lesson is use way more oil, but also the real lesson is don’t get my wok so hot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I ordered off the kids menu until no longer able, with the exception of splitting with my parents. I was NOT adventurous about food up until the last 7 years. Kids menus are awesome.

TINY DESERTS. I just want a coffee and a tiny scoop of ice cream or something little, I can't do a giant piece of pie, no matter how good and chocolate peanutbutter, directly after a meal.

Scoop of ice cream IN the coffee. That is all I want.

I think in Italy that’s called an otagoffa.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Is this in Korea or in the US? Because in the US you can only get silkworm canned and they suck

korea proper

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

I think in Italy that’s called an otagoffa.

Affogato. It's one of my favorite things after pizza. If I want something lighter I get a caffe corretto, which is espresso with a bit of grappa in it. Helps clean things out but good.

The following is long and dumb so only read if you want to see how obsessive I can get about food things.

I've fallen down a pickling rabbit hole in the last couple of days. It started with a buddy who was in San Francisco and ate in a really great Sichuan place. He raved about the pickles, so I started researching how to ferment some Sichuan style ones at home. According to a pretty cool video series I found featuring Sandor Katz (one of the preeminent modern experts on pickling) some pickle makers there add a bit of a particular candy made with maltose, saying it keeps everything crisp. The candy itself is some kind of non-Newtonian taffy-like substance that stretches when pulled but shatters when hit, which I also find interesting since I do a lot of candymaking over the holidays.

I figured there was something else in the candy - some carbonate, or maybe alum, or whatever - that kept the vegetables crunchy, so I looked for a recipe. I couldn't find one, but I did find a 12-minute Youtube video of a Chinese guy who'd been making the candy every day for 65 years, and at the age of 76 was at the heart of a street vending empire still making the candy himself. The video was in a Chinese dialect with Malay subtitles. Out of desperation I typed the subtitles into Google Translate and got the basic ingredient list, but the guy making it on screen clearly pulled out some kind of jellyfish-like thing from a jar, waved it at the camera, and dropped it into the candy pot without the narration saying anything about it.

So then I asked my food writer buddy, who took to Facebook and asked his food writer friend who use to live in Hong Kong. She linked me a couple of videos that have what they claim is the full list of ingredients. But that just raised more questions, because it's just sugar, dextrose, maltose, water, sesame for flavor. That's it. No crazy weird hydrocolloid additions or other interesting chemical science going on. And no target temperature for the mix since it's hand-made without thermometers, so I can't even experiment and make my own.

But I do have a small pot of maltose I bought a few years ago for a different culinary experiment. So I've decided to make my own Sichuan style pickles using an amalgam of techniques from several blogs, Katz's video, and my own experience. I'll add some maltose and see if it does anything to pickle crispness.

If anyone wants to explore the various parts of this rabbit hole I've been burrowing in, here's the first video in Katz's series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4elw9rIs9Y

And here's a decent starting blog about Sichuan pickle making:
https://blog.themalamarket.com/sichuans-naturally-fermented-pickles-pao-cai/

Does anyone else get themselves into research projects like this or is it just me?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Affogato. It's one of my favorite things after pizza. If I want something lighter I get a caffe corretto, which is espresso with a bit of grappa in it. Helps clean things out but good.

The following is long and dumb so only read if you want to see how obsessive I can get about food things.

I've fallen down a pickling rabbit hole in the last couple of days. It started with a buddy who was in San Francisco and ate in a really great Sichuan place. He raved about the pickles, so I started researching how to ferment some Sichuan style ones at home. According to a pretty cool video series I found featuring Sandor Katz (one of the preeminent modern experts on pickling) some pickle makers there add a bit of a particular candy made with maltose, saying it keeps everything crisp. The candy itself is some kind of non-Newtonian taffy-like substance that stretches when pulled but shatters when hit, which I also find interesting since I do a lot of candymaking over the holidays.

I figured there was something else in the candy - some carbonate, or maybe alum, or whatever - that kept the vegetables crunchy, so I looked for a recipe. I couldn't find one, but I did find a 12-minute Youtube video of a Chinese guy who'd been making the candy every day for 65 years, and at the age of 76 was at the heart of a street vending empire still making the candy himself. The video was in a Chinese dialect with Malay subtitles. Out of desperation I typed the subtitles into Google Translate and got the basic ingredient list, but the guy making it on screen clearly pulled out some kind of jellyfish-like thing from a jar, waved it at the camera, and dropped it into the candy pot without the narration saying anything about it.

So then I asked my food writer buddy, who took to Facebook and asked his food writer friend who use to live in Hong Kong. She linked me a couple of videos that have what they claim is the full list of ingredients. But that just raised more questions, because it's just sugar, dextrose, maltose, water, sesame for flavor. That's it. No crazy weird hydrocolloid additions or other interesting chemical science going on. And no target temperature for the mix since it's hand-made without thermometers, so I can't even experiment and make my own.

But I do have a small pot of maltose I bought a few years ago for a different culinary experiment. So I've decided to make my own Sichuan style pickles using an amalgam of techniques from several blogs, Katz's video, and my own experience. I'll add some maltose and see if it does anything to pickle crispness.

If anyone wants to explore the various parts of this rabbit hole I've been burrowing in, here's a link to the Katz documentaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

And here's a decent starting blog about Sichuan pickle making:
https://blog.themalamarket.com/sichuans-naturally-fermented-pickles-pao-cai/

Does anyone else get themselves into research projects like this or is it just me?

Coffee over ice cream is affogato. But he did the opposite: ice cream into coffee. It’s backwards!

Very interesting, btw. I got into different bread techniques when I was getting the baking bug.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therattle posted:

Coffee over ice cream is affogato. But he did the opposite: ice cream into coffee. It’s backwards!

I prefer 'ghettochino'

http://www.butternutsquash.net/2003/04/16/meet-da-punks/2003/12/03/ghettoccino-time/

ugh, I remember reading this comic in the early 2000's and liking it, now it's just so.... early 2000's.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 14, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
That comic makes me feel generally embarrassed. But I still re-read achewood sooooo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jay Carney posted:

That comic makes me feel generally embarrassed. But I still re-read achewood sooooo

Yeah but achewood is brilliant

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Achewood is hit and miss

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=12152008

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bartolimu posted:

a buddy who was in San Francisco and ate in a really great Sichuan place.

Where?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just discovered adding a little maggi seasoning after browning chicken livers makes the loving best base for a gravy. Best liver and onions I've had, I will take on all challengers.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Yeah after Onstad decided to pursue his dream of being an artisanal soda magnate it fell off a cliff.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Counterpoint:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what the hell is even going on here

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Counterpoint:

“Two wet Bolsheviks mating in a thrift store”. :golfclap:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Spicy King. It probably helped that he ordered the fuqi feipian by name. In my experience that's a good way to open up the secret menu.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what the hell is even going on here

Ray has prepared a sous vide prime rib for Cornelius and his lady friend. They are concerned with the potential spoilage of a piece of meat cooked at a fairly low temperature for a long period, clearly ignorant of pasteurization occurring over longer periods at lower temperatures. Instead, they decide to steal off to fornicate while Ray is absent, taking glee in doing so under Ray's roof as Ray himself has a rather voracious sexual appetite and would pull the same trick were he so inclined.

Also plorp, and also gliggle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My spouse got home today from being out of town for two weeks for work and when she does she mostly just wants to cook (due to eating generally lovely food the whole time) so I decided to do a Chopped challenge and provide her with four ingredients to cook dinner with:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Midniter posted:

Ray has prepared a sous vide prime rib for Cornelius and his lady friend. They are concerned with the potential spoilage of a piece of meat cooked at a fairly low temperature for a long period, clearly ignorant of pasteurization occurring over longer periods at lower temperatures. Instead, they decide to steal off to fornicate while Ray is absent, taking glee in doing so under Ray's roof as Ray himself has a rather voracious sexual appetite and would pull the same trick were he so inclined.

Also plorp, and also gliggle.

oh ok

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ohhhhhhh poo poo dawhgg
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201802/10/WS5a7dc8e5a3106e7dcc13be34.html
bite of china 3 feb 19

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never really thought that tastes changing was a thing, but I guess it is.

I found some zoutedrops at the international market, and promptly bought them. I used to eat like a roll of these things a week in my early 20s when I could get them regularly. Today I had one, though, and I decided that actually, I don't really like the taste of ammonium chloride.

:(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
But hey, maybe there are things out there you might like now that you didn't like before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

A magical thing happened to me last night! But before I tell you that story, I gotta tell you this one.

A little over 25 years ago, a rather drunk me was wandering around the old district of Quebec City (they call it the Old City, near the citadel and the old hotel), and there's this bit that's a rabbit warren of twisty little streets and alleyways and I kept smelling this heavenly aroma. I narrowed it down to a red door in an alleyway and curiosity got the better of me, so I opened it up. It opened into a kitchen, silent as a cathedral, and one of the two cooks waved me in and pointed me at the door to the dining room. As near as I could tell, that was the intended entrance, as once you passed the toilets, there wasn't another door out of the dining room.
In there, a really old guy in what was probably a really nice tux 50 years ago sat me down at a trestle table with old worn wood benches, smooth with years of butts. There were a couple other people in there, just regular folk, quietly tucking in. The waiter / maitre-d / whatever asked me if i wanted lunch, i nodded, and he vanished for a moment, and returned with a crock of french onion soup, a drinking glass, and a pitcher of ice water.

Guys. The soup. The loving soup. It was PERFECTION. The cheese was chewy and melty and delicious, with the almost-crispy bits on the top from the broiler, the crouton was flavorful but didn't get in the way of the broth, and the broth oh my GOD this was what God eats on a rainy day. The beef flavor was strong but not overpowering, like the meat was at that wonderful stage where it's aged juuust a little but not turned, the onions were at that perfect point where if they were cooked for even another minute they would have dissolved, the seasonings were perfect, and it was fortified with the perfect amount of good red wine with a nice fat rear end. This wasn't lunch, it was HOLY COMMUNION.

I never found that restaurant again, and ever since then, I often order french onion soup at restaurants whose soup I haven't tried before, in hopes that Edesia, lord of food, had granted one other person her wisdom, and I spent 26 years being disappointed with spineless broth, limp flavorless bread, and cheese that just wasn't the same.

Anyway. On to last night!

Last night was my 40th birthday, and my wife took me to what she told me was an artisinal macaroni and cheese restaurant - SHUT UP - in the Ballston neighborhood of Arlington County, VA. The menu showed they had french onion soup, and i figured what the hell.

THEY GOT IT RIGHT. This time, I didn't want to take any chances, so I studied that loving crock of soup like it contained the secrets of the universe, and between that and some questions to the cook via the waitress, I cracked the code: The trick, apparently, is to use mostly gruyere with a little mozzarella, but NOT SHREDDED - sliced paper thin. I have NO loving clue how they sliced gruyere and especially mozzarella that thinly without freezing it first - like seriously you could have read a newspaper through the individual slices - and freezing it would have destroyed the texture. Apparently shredding it chops it up so much it doesn't come together right? I don't know, I'm not a chef, that's just what the chef told the waitress and the waitress told me. The end result is you can chew the cheese while sipping the broth through it and there's the magic. I was actually crying a little eating this loving soup, that's how perfect it was and how relieved I was that this wasn't just some memory I'd built up over a quarter century that no longer had any real connection to reality. I eventually told the waitress why I was so intensely curious about the soup and she didn't let me pay for beer.

So if you're in DC, and want to have a bowl of really fuckin' good french onion soup, check out Cheesetique on Glebe in Ballston. It's really fuckin' good french onion soup.