Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Figured as much. It was $5 and I figured I'd try it and maybe get lucky. I bought a big pile of stuff off him, so what the hell.

$5 isn't going to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LeafHouse posted:

Pullin a Bruery eh?

naw, this is Virginia, they're pulling a Blue Mountain (Sour Devil was a batch of Dark Hollow that got hosed up)

wodin posted:

Nobody I know has had an uninfected bottle. 2013 was pretty rough for them, capping off with the Three Floyd's collab being infected (which, while released this year, had been barrel aging for a year). None of the 2014 stuff I've gotten has had major issues though - the worst has been Filmishmish being cloudy as gently caress (but still heaven in a glass).

apparently when the previous barrel dude left someone didn't realize you shouldn't store buggy barrels in a separate place than non-buggy barrels, so they had a situation where sour barrels were literally sitting right on top of (previously) non-sour ones. whoops, forgot that wood is porous!

speaking of sour beers, drank a whoooole lot of them last night. highlights were a goon-provided Upright White Truffle Gose, which (isn't really a sour, i know) wasn't as spicy or salty as some, but it had a nice earthy touch from the mushrooms; Bruery Wanderer, which has a little touch of sweetness that is like a breath of fresh air in a sour beer marathon; del Ducato's Beersel Mattina, which is light and spicy and just might even justify the price tag; the latest batch of Madame Rose, which i remember getting a slight cinnamon taste from; and of course known goodness like Oude Quetsch, Cantillon Gueuze, JP La Roja, Cascades Vlad and Kriek, and Coolship Resurgam.

had some disappointment, too: Wicked Weed's Amorous was a diacetyl bomb, de Garde's Imperial Hop Bu tasted like peas (and something else that wasn't a good beer flavor), de Garde's Brun Marron was merely okay (seriously, i've had four of their beers now and i wouldn't drink any a second time), and Against the Grain's Fruitis had some really wack flavor to it that neither i nor my friend who brought it could stand. there were some others that weren't so great, but i actually had high expectations for these.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 19, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ow, not feeling so good about the DG multi bottle trade I had come in in exchange for me sending a V013. I'm planning on going over there regardless because of Trevor's generosity, but I trust your palate and that gives me bad vibes.

Goons interested in PDX share 6/14 - I think it'll be capped at 20 so would be good if you got in touch w/me and tell me what you'd plan to bring.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Ow, not feeling so good about the DG multi bottle trade I had come in in exchange for me sending a V013. I'm planning on going over there regardless because of Trevor's generosity, but I trust your palate and that gives me bad vibes.

Goons interested in PDX share 6/14 - I think it'll be capped at 20 so would be good if you got in touch w/me and tell me what you'd plan to bring.

Loak was objectively terrible; Spears was weird, but not terrible, and if you like gin then you might get more enjoyment than me; i had a slightly yeasty pour of Hop Bu, but people who got clean pours agreed with my assessment, with one saying green beans and another noting "something vegetal," but nobody seemed to have a problem finishing it other than me; Marron may have suffered for coming late in the tasting- it wasn't bad at all, it simply failed to stand out.

that said, aside from the Hop Bu, those aren't the hottest and most desirable of their releases and i've heard 3S and the various Vin Bus are outstanding.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

When did DFH stop making Raison D'Etre? I went to check into one on Untappd over the weekend and it had a big red "no longer produced" banner.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Nth Doctor posted:

When did DFH stop making Raison D'Etre? I went to check into one on Untappd over the weekend and it had a big red "no longer produced" banner.

I'm not sure about completely stopping production, but I've heard others mention it'll be draft only from this year onward. I think it's due out in the winter.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

Wicked Weed's Amorous was a diacetyl bomb

Interesting, I haven't heard of any diacetyl issues with Amorous, and I've had 2 or 3 bottles. Got 1 in the fridge right now, in fact. :(

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

air- posted:

I think you'll be happy with the Desays. I've mentioned before that they aren't always successful, but when they are, it makes up for the misses.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Retemnav posted:

Interesting, I haven't heard of any diacetyl issues with Amorous, and I've had 2 or 3 bottles. Got 1 in the fridge right now, in fact. :(

posted about in a ber-centric facebook group and got the same response, but the bottle we opened was undrinkable. seems that the guy who brought it was gifted the bottle directly from a WW employee and he works at a brewery, so i can't imagine there were any outside factors involved.

dphi posted:

I think you'll be happy with the Desays. I've mentioned before that they aren't always successful, but when they are, it makes up for the misses.

yeah, heard the Desays were good, too, and apparently better out of the bottle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Aahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The Farmers' Cabinet owner (you remember, guy who forged his liquor license when the state wouldn't give him a renewal because he owed something like $30,000 in back taxes) just pleaded guilty to two counts of serving alcohol without a license and one count of tampering with a public record. Probably a smart move given that the penalty's one hell of a lot lower than for the forgery charges he was facing. No idea how that place is still in business.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

No idea how that place is still in business.

from everything i've heard, yes, that's surprising. bribes or blackmail?

and i got another report of a buttery-rear end WW Amorous...

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
So these unnecessary, gimmicky "collaboration" beers that are fashionable right now have been getting on my nerves for a while. IMO, it reached peak-stupidity last year when Stone released their wOOtstout collaboration with Wil Wheaton and the creator of fark.com. Really, guys? You needed the Fark guy to help you figure out how to make a stout? Well, good news everyone! wOOtstout 2.0 is being released. This time, they added Aisha Tyler to their collaboration team. :downsbravo:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/stone-brewing-creating-w00tstout-2-0/

brb going to Stone. I hear they're launching their entire brewery over a shark.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Catastrophe posted:

So these unnecessary, gimmicky "collaboration" beers that are fashionable right now have been getting on my nerves for a while. IMO, it reached peak-stupidity last year when Stone released their wOOtstout collaboration with Wil Wheaton and the creator of fark.com. Really, guys? You needed the Fark guy to help you figure out how to make a stout? Well, good news everyone! wOOtstout 2.0 is being released. This time, they added Aisha Tyler to their collaboration team. :downsbravo:

I don't see how this is an issue. Is the beer good? Yes? Great! No? Then don't buy it again!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Whatever happened to Lowtax's beer?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

Whatever happened to Lowtax's beer?

As far as I can tell it was a one-off thing that got served at some beer fest. A couple tweets are all I ever saw about it.

https://twitter.com/lorebrew/status/367036078680588288
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/391615992469520384

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Catastrophe posted:

I could go both ways about collaboration beers. On the plus side, you sometimes get collaborations that make sense and are executed like a real collaboration (Jolly Pumpkin/Maui Sobrehumano was like this). You also give new breweries an opportunity to test their recipes not on their own gear by marketing it as a 'collaboration' (I think Off Color was doing this for a while). On the other hand, you can easily get into the realm of gimmicky crap (w00tstout, the Game of Thrones beers) that could actually have good stuff in the bottle but I'm absolutely put off by the gimmick.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Catastrophe posted:

Well, good news everyone! wOOtstout 2.0 is being released. This time, they added Aisha Tyler to their collaboration team. :downsbravo:

Stone needs to find a way to work "smooth as a veal cutlet" into their marketing copy for this beer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

Loak was objectively terrible; Spears was weird, but not terrible, and if you like gin then you might get more enjoyment than me; i had a slightly yeasty pour of Hop Bu, but people who got clean pours agreed with my assessment, with one saying green beans and another noting "something vegetal," but nobody seemed to have a problem finishing it other than me; Marron may have suffered for coming late in the tasting- it wasn't bad at all, it simply failed to stand out.

that said, aside from the Hop Bu, those aren't the hottest and most desirable of their releases and i've heard 3S and the various Vin Bus are outstanding.

Bummer about the Hop Bu, I have one coming, along with the Marron and the other beers they released at the anniversary.

I've had most of their releases in the past year and Loak is definitely my least favorite offering from them. I thought Spears was very unique but didn't blow me out of the water.

The past Imperial Bus were some of my favorites of 2013. I could drink the Boysenberry every day.

Vin Lee was a gusher, but much easier to get than their other bottles and definitely one of their best beers that isn't impossible to get. I have high expectations as their barrel program expands.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 19, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Stone needs to find a way to work "smooth as a veal cutlet" into their marketing copy for this beer.

I don't want to hear about your vealy vulva.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

as much as i appreciate this line, yeah, if the beer's good, who cares? i thought the Wil Wheaton beer was gross, but at least he's a legit homebrewer, so that one wasn't totally out of left field. as for all the other stuff, i'm sure it can be a lot of fun for the brewers and it is both good PR (big brewery does collaboration with tiny local brewery) as well a way to get their name out to people who might not otherwise be aware of craft beer (all the GoT poo poo). i'm a big-time hater, but even i'm not mad about this stuff.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Bummer about the Hop Bu, I have one coming, along with the Marron and the other beers they released at the anniversary.

I've had most of their releases in the past year and Loak is definitely my least favorite offering from them. I thought Spears was very unique but didn't blow me out of the water.

i should made that last part "Vins/Bus," i've heard good things about pretty much all of them. i have a boysenberry, so i'm glad that one is a winner, but i also have a Hop Bu, Spears, and Loak... i'd trade the first two, but would honestly feel terrible giving someone Loak- i hope that maybe something changes as it matures, because goddamn.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone in Chicago do any cool #CCBW events so far?

I'm thinking of swinging by Smallbar on Division after work to taste some BA Sump/Sump today, and usually hit up the IPA crawl

Also heard that they're pouring BCBS Vanilla at a show at the Owl tonight. Nuts! http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2014/05/19/pelican-plays-a-secret-show-at-the-owl-tonight

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

funkybottoms posted:

as much as i appreciate this line, yeah, if the beer's good, who cares?

This is true but I do care when it gets a little Rogue-ish. When the "collaboration" is about marketing gimmicks in an attempt to just move more merchandise, it may be a good beer but it gets on my nerves. Rogue made a beer brewed with actual pages of paper from Moby Dick books in the boil kettle. Will that make the beer bad? No. It might be good. Is that paper essential for making the beer better, though? Nope. Just like Stone didn't need Aisha Tyler to tell them to add chocolate to their existing wootstout recipe. It's more about adding a celebrity name to the beer's list of bullet points... and that doesn't make the beer "good"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

If there isn't a reference to the danger zone or some other Archer reference, then I'm not interested.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll drink it anyway. The original w00tstout was pretty good, even if it got a little cloyingly sweet by the end.

Speaking of Stone, I had their Saison Saturday and it's one of the better ones I've had. There's a spicy end to it that goes well with the overall sweetness of the style.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 19, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm the minority who actually enjoyed w00tstout. I love pecans. I'm actually enjoying a Terrapin/Cigar City Southern Slice right now and it's pretty good. A doppelbock works well as the base for a pecan pie inspired beer.

But that Clown Shoes pecan beer was gross.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Aisha Tyler is a homebrewer too. It's fun to collaborate with the pros.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

If I honestly cared what the label looked like than I would never drink Cigar City. I hope w00tstout v2 tastes good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

If I honestly cared what the label looked like than I would never drink Cigar City.
I would also never drink Weyerbacher Merry Monks because the art looks like something out of CD-i Zelda.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Fat Lou posted:

If I honestly cared what the label looked like than I would never drink Cigar City. I hope w00tstout v2 tastes good.

Did you mean tonsay Clown Shoes? Otherwise its about to go down...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

swickles posted:

Have you ever seen Invasion? It looks like something from DeviantArt

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

swickles posted:

I think the only Clown Shoes label I've seen in person (they don't distribute here) is Undead Party Crasher, which I though was a pretty cool label. Maybe they're getting better?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Catastrophe posted:

This is true but I do care when it gets a little Rogue-ish. When the "collaboration" is about marketing gimmicks in an attempt to just move more merchandise, it may be a good beer but it gets on my nerves. Rogue made a beer brewed with actual pages of paper from Moby Dick books in the boil kettle. Will that make the beer bad? No. It might be good. Is that paper essential for making the beer better, though? Nope. Just like Stone didn't need Aisha Tyler to tell them to add chocolate to their existing wootstout recipe. It's more about adding a celebrity name to the beer's list of bullet points... and that doesn't make the beer "good"

I honestly had to look up who Aisha Tyler was and I didn't know who Wil Wheaton was until 5 years ago when online nerds became obsessed with him. I have a hard time believing Stone is moving bottles because those people are on the label.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I honestly had to look up who Aisha Tyler was and I didn't know who Wil Wheaton was until 5 years ago when online nerds became obsessed with him. I have a hard time believing Stone is moving bottles because those people are on the label.

People buy the GoT beer because they like Game of Thrones, even if they aren't beer nerds. Same thing with W00tstout and the fanbases of Archer and the Big Bang Theory, which are pretty large.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

swickles posted:

People buy the GoT beer because they like Game of Thrones, even if they aren't beer nerds. Same thing with W00tstout and the fanbases of Archer and the Big Bang Theory, which are pretty large.

Yeah but people would still buy the Stone beers because they have such a huge following. If Ommegang released any of the GoT beers without the branding they'd be shelf rot.

Edit: Flying Dog Single Hop Amarillo is the worst non-drainpour that I've ever had. The only reason I'm not drainpouring is for the ABV.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 20, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yeah look at this... Two Hearted in cans,,, man.

It tastes like regular Two Hearted, except it's in a can. Success!!! I also did a side by side comparison with Founders Centennial and I can't decide which one I like better. They are both good in different ways. The Founders one has that still-unidentifiable "Founders taste" that I can't put my finger on. It must be the malt they use. Also I had Oberon for the first time in like 4 years and it's okay or whatever, I guess.

Furthermore, Greenbush hefeweizen "Sunspot" is quite good, not as tasty as Kellerweis, but a better summer beer than Oberon for sure. I approve!!

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Two Hearted in tall boys is going to give me a drinking problem. It doesn't matter how many other IPAs I try, I always keep coming back to Two Hearted.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of Stone, I had their Saison Saturday and it's one of the better ones I've had. There's a spicy end to it that goes well with the overall sweetness of the style.

eh? sweetness of the style?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Pizza Port's been canning for a number of months now, and after a few six packs over the course of the year I'd like to officially endorse their Swami's IPA as a Very Good IPA That You Should Try.

The more I have of it, the more it reminds me of a less resinous Heady Topper. The bitterness in the mouth is very similar, just doesn't have that lingering punch Heady's got.

For years it's been tapped at their restaurants but I swear it's either just better in cans or they tweaked the recipe because it's somehow become very, very good.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

wattershed posted:

Swami's IPA

I did indeed get a sixer of this back when I visited Pizza Port Ocean Beach back in January and it was quite a nice surprise indeed. I'd like some more.

All of us in Bend had a small bottleshare tonight (yes, on Monday) in preparation for Central Oregon Beer Week beginning in a few days. Highlights were Westv. 8 and 12 compared with St Bernardus 8 and 12 (8 was pretty different, 12 was not to me tho some people swore it was), a couple things from Short's, and something called Fracas from Black Diamond Brewing in Concord, CA, a 7.9% red ale that's a very nice mix of sweetness and bitterness.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Y-Hat posted:

If there isn't a reference to the danger zone or some other Archer reference, then I'm not interested.

I'm just pulling for an imperial stout named Truckasaurus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Have you ever seen Invasion? It looks like something from DeviantArt

I nailed it then.