Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess it just looks really baggy to me, but in all fairness, Jesus might have been hitting the gym lately, just hitting that bench press forever and ever.

http://www.clickhole.com/video/amazing-boy-saw-heaven-during-his-near-death-exper-830

Preacher curls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Preacher curls.

:golfclap:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On cardio days he does laps on the pool.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
If Jesus could feed 5000 dudes with a few fish and some bread then Larches really has no excuse as to why he can't make a couple Buffalo NAS units provision more storage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If Jesus could feed 5000 dudes with a few fish and some bread then Larches really has no excuse as to why he can't make a couple Buffalo NAS units provision more storage.

:doh: I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

Just use Windows' built in file compression. I can't see how it could possibly go wrong.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

See, we Jews acknowledge that Larches historically existed, but he isn't our Messiah. Talmudic scriptures state that Moshiach.exe will unite all Isra.el in the Holy Land, where all tickets stay at the Help Desk level

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MJP posted:

See, we Jews acknowledge that Larches historically existed, but he isn't our Messiah. Talmudic scriptures state that Moshiach.exe will unite all Isra.el in the Holy Land, where all tickets stay at the Help Desk level

Did you fix the issue where if a level 1 tech attempts to contact the user for more information, the tech turns into a pillar of salt?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jesus makin' the Happy Cat face.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
A bunch of new parts came in...

To upgrade my old rig. I promptly got "BOOTMGR is missing" halfway though installing win7 on the new SSD and my old HDD mysteriously unable to boot. Firing the drive up shows Windows7 twice and selecting either blue screens for a second and instantly restarts.

This is gonna be a fun night. Currently running startup repair. Else gonna try removing the SSD from bios boot and try and get back into the old HDD. the best part? My win7 disc isn't bootable somehow.

Okay it boots into the old install and a new install... On the wrong disc. Yet it shows windows installed on the SSD. What the hell.

Got into recovery environment. bootrec /fixmbr does fuckall. It also identifies 0 Windows installations.

Now it boots but only when I boot from the old drive - but lets me access the new install on the new drive :iiam:

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 2, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Someone just called for help getting connected to the "colorful" printer. :3:

I don't know why but this makes this request less annoying than it would otherwise be (not very).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Someone just called for help getting connected to the "colorful" printer. :3:

I don't know why but this makes this request less annoying than it would otherwise be (not very).
Got a printer wont print ticket this morning.

User not on wifi (which is a separate vlan), printer is working properly (I/others in the office can print), user can connect to the printer's home page by ip, not marked as use offline, restarting did fuckall.
I'm kind of out of ideas. Re-installing the printer is going to be my next move.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A bunch of water came in yesterday.

This is the fourth time in ten years that we've been half a metre away from losing our entire server room to the upstairs swimming pool. It's the second since last year when we agreed to a ten-year lease extension due to assurances from building management that they've put a retaining basin underneath the pool and the leaks were solved. Entire sections of the ceiling have been removed, and the chlorine smell finally seems to be subsiding.

:thumbsup:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Who the gently caress designs a building with a server closet underneath a swimming pool.

Are you in a hotel or something, or do you just have a billionare living on the floor above your business?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Let me guess, they didn't get it in writing?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lunar Suite posted:

Now it boots but only when I boot from the old drive - but lets me access the new install on the new drive :iiam:
You have your bootloader on the wrong drive, or the wrong drive selected as your boot drive in BIOS. I did the same thing with my rig when I went from XP to 7.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Collateral Damage posted:

You have your bootloader on the wrong drive, or the wrong drive selected as your boot drive in BIOS. I did the same thing with my rig when I went from XP to 7.

Likely the former. Booting from the SSD (my bios lets me F8 to select a decide to force boot) gives me "BOOTMGR not found". Booting from the HDD gives a choice of two Win7, the old and new install.
Currently I'm juggling drive letters so the system can have C: back and my old data HDD gets D:...
I'll google how to move the boot loader. Thanks!

E: changed drive letter in registry since old drive wouldn't let C: go and new drive won't change whilst Windows is up. This breaks logging in though which I ought to have seen coming.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 3, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When I worked at the continuous caster of a steel mill, there were giant water tanks on the top of the inner roof. This was so that if all power was lost, we could still cool everything off.

The server room was on floor 3, the top floor with mgmt was 4, and on the inner roof of that were the tanks.

The tanks had a massive leak once, the sys admin told me the story that he saw water leaking in and was like "oh poo poo, the roof must be leaking! Better tell the boss" As he was walking upstairs it dawned on him, hey, wait a minute.... if its getting to my floor then...

Looks through the window and the 4th floor has like a foot of water lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_casting

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kurieg posted:

Who the gently caress designs a building with a server closet underneath a swimming pool.

Are you in a hotel or something, or do you just have a billionare living on the floor above your business?
Kind of. Our building is part of a hotel complex but it's all commercially leased except for the top floor, which the hotel retained for swimming pool/gym. The best part is that the building was not designed with a server closet underneath a swimming pool - the swimming pool was put in after the building was constructed, and the server room was put in after that by the previous company leasing the space.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let me guess, they didn't get it in writing?
The retaining basin would be in print, but definitely not the assurance that the leaks would be solved. They haven't found the cause of this one, but the last was some guy leaving a valve open, which apparently has the function of just letting the swimming pool drain into the basin until the basin begins draining into the roof.

I pushed my boss to approach building management about paying to move our server room, and he said to his surprise they seemed to be seriously considering it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Got a voicemail from someone saying they can't log in, they had the problem earlier and it wasn't fixed and they haven't been able to do their job. Checked out the old ticket, it was stated she closed and reopened outlook and it worked.

Checked her account and wasn't locked out and didn't have any recent bad password attempts so gave her a call. She says she types in her username, her password auto populates and when she hits log in it doesn't work. Told her to delete the auto populated password and type in her password - says it still doesn't work.

Connected to the computer, saw what it was and said "I think you typed your username wrong..." Yup.. she did. She must have been trying for awhile trying to get in with the wrong username.

Never thought I would get one of these :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lunar Suite posted:

A bunch of new parts came in...

To upgrade my old rig. I promptly got "BOOTMGR is missing" halfway though installing win7 on the new SSD and my old HDD mysteriously unable to boot. Firing the drive up shows Windows7 twice and selecting either blue screens for a second and instantly restarts.

This is gonna be a fun night. Currently running startup repair. Else gonna try removing the SSD from bios boot and try and get back into the old HDD. the best part? My win7 disc isn't bootable somehow.

Okay it boots into the old install and a new install... On the wrong disc. Yet it shows windows installed on the SSD. What the hell.

Got into recovery environment. bootrec /fixmbr does fuckall. It also identifies 0 Windows installations.

Did you change any BIOS boot settings? I used to see this kind of thing if an SSD was installed and the BIOS wasn't set to AHCI. Vice versa for standard drives, some vendors had that issue (Dell and HP come to mind) where setting a standard HDD to AHCI made it blue screen, had to be put to "Compatible" or "Legacy" I think.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ozz81 posted:

Did you change any BIOS boot settings? I used to see this kind of thing if an SSD was installed and the BIOS wasn't set to AHCI. Vice versa for standard drives, some vendors had that issue (Dell and HP come to mind) where setting a standard HDD to AHCI made it blue screen, had to be put to "Compatible" or "Legacy" I think.

I ran into an issue similar when I went from my first SSD setup(a pair of 60GB in RAID) to a single larger drive. I had to go into the registry and enable both RAID and AHCI support for the OS, then change the BIOS to AHCI(all this after cloning the drive over) or it would blue screen on boot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Word (2013) is starting all documents with the wrong font selected. The correct font is set as default font in the Normal.dotm template and gets restored if you switch to the Normal style. But it isn't selected when you start a new document. :what:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Setting up the tape library to do reclamation properly (TSM :mad:) so we moved full tapes out of the library yesterday afternoon.

The operators moved over 500 tapes out over night :monocle:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

nielsm posted:

Word (2013) is starting all documents with the wrong font selected. The correct font is set as default font in the Normal.dotm template and gets restored if you switch to the Normal style. But it isn't selected when you start a new document. :what:

Is the first paragraph in the normal template set to something other than Normal?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Is the first paragraph in the normal template set to something other than Normal?

When I Open (as opposed to use for making New) Normal.dotm, the font appears fine. When I "New" with the Normal template, the font is wrong.
Removing Normal.dotm from my user profile doesn't affect it.

Several but not all people in the org have the issue.

It's probably some add-in.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in.

One of our larger clients servers keep on going offline. Turns out they did an office move but forgot to setup power and water. They are running everything off of generators

Edit: Looks like I can view the forum at work but not post due to some weird blocking by fortigate. Apparently half of SA is adult content.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 3, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Only half? That's rather odd. Firewalls usually are all or nothing for me when it comes to SA.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Our old firewall used to block SA's image server, but not the actual forums themselves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It had a filter for distended assholes, but not tremendous assholes.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Kurieg posted:

Our old firewall used to block SA's image server, but not the actual forums themselves.

Looks like that's what fortigate is doing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I used to have this problem when I was in the Navy.
The style sheet resources are hosted on https://www.somethingawful.com which is blocked.
forums.somethingawful.com is not blocked.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The style sheet resources are hosted on https://www.somethingawful.com which is blocked.

Yeah had this happen, I couldn't hit the main page, but forums were "fine" except the styling was all hosed, that went away and everything loads fine. Then for a while certain pages would get blocked for adult content/weapons etc. Good thing a few goons work here as the sec guys and manage the fortinet we use, because everything works fine now :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Doesn't matter when I control the Fortigate. :getin:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

Doesn't matter when I control the Fortigate. :getin:

This is me. Any client site that starts blocking the forums and I just log in the Fortigate and fix that right up.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just white listed the whole domain in my FortiGate yesterday. Good Times.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I ran into a similar issue a few jobs ago where i. and fi. were blocked, and for some reason forums. wasn't. I ignored it until my bosses took me aside and told me they had a monthly interdepartmental audit on the webfilter:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm replacing the CEO's laptop, and not a moment too soon - hard drive is going out on his old one.

All of his poo poo is in the Desktop folder.

We only have My Documents redirected to his personal network share. :supaburn:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just did a contract job for an out of state MSP.

They sent RAM to the client for me to install on two workstations.

I do the install, no issues, have the client login to the workstation, 32-bit windows.

The workstations already had 4gb of RAM, and the upgrade brought them up to 8gb each.

Total waste of time, but I still get paid.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

devmd01 posted:

I'm replacing the CEO's laptop, and not a moment too soon - hard drive is going out on his old one.

All of his poo poo is in the Desktop folder.

We only have My Documents redirected to his personal network share. :supaburn:

You have it documented that the desktop is not the proper place to store things right? I mean it's the CEO so it's not worth too much, but at least you can go well I told you so and its in writing.

I have pushed everyone to use network drives here, and they are mostly used, a few stray documents in "My documents" but the design department is a special snowflake because of file size. They were given external drives for backup and everything is great, accept they were using them as storage instead and one died. The CEO went out and bought everyone some consumer grade USB drive with software to auto backup the computer and dumped it on ITs desk because it worked great for his wife.

I setup the drives because why not, but it was a huge waste of money, and we have a perfectly good backup. He just wants to be sure we don't lose anything even if they don't save things to the correct location. Great plan and all I guess, but this could have been done cheaper with redirects and a dedicated NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The problem is most likely the CEO wants to work on poo poo offsite and doesn't want to VPN in to access documents. There are various solutions for this though, with time and money.

• Locked thread