Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bleck posted:

The Advance Wars character should just be a dude driving a tank with another dude riding on the front of it shooting peeps, and their Final Smash is Andy's CO power.

Actually the smash bros advance wars rep will be Hetler from Super Famicom Wars

e: for reals tho, what you suggest wouldn't be bad either, assuming I'm reading it correctly and you more or less would want it to be the 3 COs on the tank.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Oh god I miss Advance Wars sooooooo much. I will buy a switch if they put out a new one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'd be so rad having one on the Switch/VC. It's the perfect sort of game to play for 5 minutes handheld and 5 hours docked.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"But what could we possibly do to spice it up and make it new? We can't work on a new project unless we've got some way to make sure it's unique and different." - nintendo, sometimes, annoyingly

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My dream Advance Wars game is basically Days of Ruin but scaled back a bit further. Like, the most advanced aircraft you get is the Duster, the crown jewel of your forces is a single signature Medium Tank that you have to take good care of. Lots of focus on artillery and infantry. Multiple COs that you can slot into different units, who gain experience depending on what you deploy them with. It would be rad. Or just make another brightly colored war jamboree. That's good too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

FirstAidKite posted:

"But what could we possibly do to spice it up and make it new? We can't work on a new project unless we've got some way to make sure it's unique and different." - nintendo, sometimes, annoyingly

*releases three NSMB games with reused assets*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FMV cutscenes would do nicely

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know it's being petty and whiny as gently caress but I'm annoyed as hell that they didn't make a new pokemon snap game for the wii u, ie the one console whose whole control scheme would potentially benefit from a new pokemon snap game

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I know it's being petty and whiny as gently caress but I'm annoyed as hell that they didn't make a new pokemon snap game for the wii u, ie the one console whose whole control scheme would potentially benefit from a new pokemon snap game

I hear ya. I'm never going to get over not getting Okami HD for the system.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

guarantee that there's a pokemon snap mobile game being developed. Augmented Reality, instagram integration etc.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FirstAidKite posted:

In regards to the petting thing in fire emblem, is it true that half the dev team was like "gently caress yeah this is an awesome idea" and the other half was all "what's wrong with you"

Not quite, it was the QA team who were split into two opposing camps.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Decius posted:

This thankfully was taken out for the western release (CEEEEENSORSHIIIIP shouts the weeabo). Although now you have a rather awkward scene where the person is on the lower screen looking at you and you look at him/her for a few seconds until you can cancel out of the screen.

Not true, it's in there but only for the person you married. It's awkward and weird.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Louisgod posted:

Not true, it's in there but only for the person you married. It's awkward and weird.

Like most marriages. :rimshot:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Louisgod posted:

Never had to blow anyone ( :rimshot: ), tapping with the stylus to wake someone up was the most I had to do even with marriage poo poo.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Decius posted:

Never had to blow anyone ( :rimshot: ), tapping with the stylus to wake someone up was the most I had to do even with marriage poo poo.

I was playing last night and had to blow my wife off from taking a hot bath because the one thing your parter appreciates is you coming over and blowing in their face to cool you off

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Reminder that you're not obligated to reply to any post you don't want to. Or if the argument is odd/designed to stir up then just reply in equal. Lets mock and be funny, my friends!

Let me know when the jokes start

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Let me know when the jokes start

The switch is a joke

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

The switch is a joke

Uh!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

The switch is a joke

Definitely makes me smile!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Switch is a mess. Sad!

I want the Switch

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Switch is a mess. Sad!

I want the Switch

Get a Switch. I want to Mario Kart with all of you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, a thought occurs to me.

PS3's online was a joke. It was plagued by slow speeds, the store is infamously frustrating, and there was the fiasco about it getting hacked, with people STILL wondering if PSN really is secure or not. Even today on the PS4 download speeds are throttled in a way that many find frustrating. And yet people were willing to shell out to play online without as much contention.

This isn't an attempt to drag Sony, but rather, get to the core of what makes people willing to pay for online even if the service has been unsatisfactory and how that situation can be related back to Nintendo. Is it the free stuff? Is it the fact that Sony had a large install base? It's food for thought.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I wanna be hyped for my children's toys without neckbeards saying it's bad and calling me stupid for being excited for it, is that so much to ask

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I wanna be hyped for my children's toys without neckbeards saying it's bad and calling me stupid for being excited for it, is that so much to ask

At least you don't collect Transformers. There if you don't buy a 3rd party version of a character you can get at retail for the hundreds of dollars, you're a Hasbro shill or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's the free stuff along with the promise that "well if I'm paying for it it has to improve".

If Nintendo has a competitive price, good discounts program akin to something like what WiiU had the first two years (the 10% digital rewards thing), if their online games are stable, and the rotating classic game has good online and is fun online, I don't think people will have a problem paying.

That matchmaking/voice app needs to be pretty good though. And needs to have party chat where it doesn't matter what game you're playing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Get a Switch. I want to Mario Kart with all of you.

I want a switch, and mario kart 8 deluxe, and to play online with people, but not for the 360 bucks it will set me back + however much the online ends up costing by the time I'd actually have the money to drop on a switch and mario kart 8.

I'm glad battle maps are back though. I haven't played a mario kart since DS and I just know I wouldn't have enjoyed the wii u version of 8 as much without the proper battle maps.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you tell me what about the plot is bad?

I've never heard people praise fire emblem plots before, and even sacred stones was more or less just "our friend is evil now, what a shame, let's go kill him before he ruins everything" so I can't imagine what the series is like when its plots are bad.
Okay, so we're going to go into some clearly heavy spoiler territory here. Don't actually read this if you don't want the plot for each path of revelations spoiled.

Birthright: Pretty generic fire emblem plot. After the plot split, you join the "good guys" side. Stuff happens for a while and then you stealth mission your way into the capital killing every enemy Nohrian you see. You make it to the "bad guys" castle where your older European brother accidentally gets a crit on your little European sister while aiming for you. He was playing classic mode so she is beyond dead, so tries to trigger a reload by suicide by cop. You are the cop.

After that you take on the final boss of the campaign, you're European father. He extends the fight to another chapter by transforming into a monster dragon thing and you finish that off to finish off that campaign.

Conquest: Interesting ideas executed poorly. This is going to take a while to explain. After the plot split, you join the "bad guys" side. Euro Dad is pissed that the suicide weapon he sent you into your homeland with didn't kill you and sends you on some super dangerous, and somewhat morally lovely missions to try and finish you off for reals. Eventually you decided that this makes Nohr as a country kind of a oval office, and, I poo poo you not, vow to not kill anyone for the rest of the campaign. (Game mechanic wise, you are still doing the exact same thing, it's handwaved off that you are just KOing dudes.

Eventually stuff happens and you are temporarily in a neighbouring country. This country is in a different dimension just because. There you find out that Euro dad is dead, and current Euro dad is a slime monster, through some sort of crystal ball, which immediately breaks, giving you no evidence that this is a thing. When you get back to Nohr, you try and convince your only allies in Nohr, Euro family, that their dad is actually the evil guy of this campaign, but with no proof, effectively no one believes you.

At this point, you, the main character of this game, decides the only action you can take is to invade the neighbouring country you are at war with, literally crush them in a war, so that you can walk your Euro dad right in their castles front door and sit him on their magic chair, revealing his slime dad ness. In the process, two things happen. A Nohrian general brutally murders a Birthright path exclusive character post chapter, revealing that he's been brutally killing all the dudes you spared up until now whenever he was with you. Also your little Euro sister gets sick and it leads to a weird out of character moment with your Older Asian bro, who has been reasonably level headed at every other point so far all things considered, is like "No, gently caress your staffs only little sister who probably hasn't violenced anyone this campaign, you can't have the cure for her sickness". It's sort of a weird chapter.

Anyways, so you bring war to a mostly unagressive country, accidentally get your little asian bro to commit suicide, somehow spare your asian sisters, and make it to the castle where big asian bro has regained his composure and defends his country in a last mans stand type deal. You get to him and are ordered to kill him on the spot by Euro dad, or be branded a traitor and killed yourself. Asian bro somehow realises what you are doing and why and commits suicide. He has just had his country destroyed, and killed himself because Euro family did not trust you earlier. So Euro dad sits on the chair and mega evolves into slime dad. Euro family discovers you were right but are now emotionally paralysed by this development. This doesn't last long because slime dad decides to just kill all of you now, so you begin fighting him.

He is not the final boss. Possessed younger asian brother is.

Long story short, this campaign's plot is stupid because it sets up concepts and ideas like playing as the antagonists, trying to change things for the better from the inside of the evil side and trying to end a conflict peacefully and without spilling blood. It meets none of them, and takes all of them and handles them in about the stupidest way it could handle them.

Revelations: Let's try to take a third road. Let's create a conflict that could have been solved if you could talk it out and if people would listen, but let's make a cheap story reason to remove the ability to talk it out, and let's take these siblings who were pretty reasonable in the other two campaigns and have them now refuse to listen to anything you say. Let's have this conflict bloat out 10-12 chapters or so and then lets ship everyone out to the neighboring country in another dimension to reveal the totally real and actual big bad of this game, a dragon. Again. Let's also kill off 2 or 3 characters for no real reason, and completely forget another character entirely.

That sort of sums it up for the most part.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Block Fort better be one of the loving battle maps

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm not a neckbeard

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So be hype.
gently caress everyone else.

loving shitheads on YouTube are loud and noisy for adviews. If you are excited about the Switch, fuckin good on ya mate.
Lets play some Bomberman and get drunk :boonie:

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Infinitum posted:

So be hype.

loving shitheads on YouTube are loud and noisy for adviews. If you are excited about the Switch, fuckin good on ya mate.

What about our environment and peer pressure though :cry:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flumbooze posted:

What about our environment and peer pressure though :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy0DSbp-gqQ

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

greatn posted:

I think it's the free stuff along with the promise that "well if I'm paying for it it has to improve".

If Nintendo has a competitive price, good discounts program akin to something like what WiiU had the first two years (the 10% digital rewards thing), if their online games are stable, and the rotating classic game has good online and is fun online, I don't think people will have a problem paying.

That matchmaking/voice app needs to be pretty good though. And needs to have party chat where it doesn't matter what game you're playing.

I just recall a lot of hemming and hawing over the idea of paid online on PSN before the PS4 launch that seemed to all but evaporate by the time it actually launched. It's certainly much better now but I'm just trying to nail down the point where it feels like it improved itself.

That being said it feels like there's a direct correlation between online services becoming "good" and people paying for it. This can't be down to the cost of maintaining it, right? The majority of the legwork is handled by the people who MAKE the games, right? To what degree was Sony just holding back - did they make the PS4's online acceptable because they knew they couldn't get away with it otherwise?

I know it sounds like I'm dragging them but this IS a major company - this is how things tend to pan out and I don't really think Nintendo would be above if either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crawfish posted:

That sort of sums it up for the most part.

Jeeze, that's all kinds of special, especially the Conquest stuff.

How does Revelations handle the killing off of characters though, is it just "oh you beat the game so we're removing these characters from your party" or are they characters you can't have in your party at all in that game or what?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, a thought occurs to me.

PS3's online was a joke. It was plagued by slow speeds, the store is infamously frustrating, and there was the fiasco about it getting hacked, with people STILL wondering if PSN really is secure or not. Even today on the PS4 download speeds are throttled in a way that many find frustrating. And yet people were willing to shell out to play online without as much contention.

This isn't an attempt to drag Sony, but rather, get to the core of what makes people willing to pay for online even if the service has been unsatisfactory and how that situation can be related back to Nintendo. Is it the free stuff? Is it the fact that Sony had a large install base? It's food for thought.

PS4s online is still a mess, the party system is unreliable garbage, download speeds are embarrassingly poo poo, the mobile apps (three of them!!) are poo poo, the store is poo poo, and the free games are 90% uninteresting. XBL is a much better service in that their store is still poo poo, the free games are 50% uninteresting, and everything else is pretty alright

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

deadwing posted:

PS4s online is still a mess, the party system is unreliable garbage, download speeds are embarrassingly poo poo, the mobile apps (three of them!!) are poo poo, the store is poo poo, and the free games are 90% uninteresting. XBL is a much better service in that their store is still poo poo, the free games are 50% uninteresting, and everything else is pretty alright

Believe me dude, I'm no fan of PS+'s incentives either. I just left that complaint on the table due to people telling me I should be jazzed to get stuff like "The Swindle".

But you're right. Things are still far from perfect; arguably there are essential issues Sony hasn't sorted out. What exactly creates the perception they have it together? What lessons can Nintendo learn here?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Jeeze, that's all kinds of special, especially the Conquest stuff.

How does Revelations handle the killing off of characters though, is it just "oh you beat the game so we're removing these characters from your party" or are they characters you can't have in your party at all in that game or what?
One is in your roster til the point they get offed, are recruitable in Birthright and survive it, but are the person I was talking about in Conquest.

The other is someone who is an endgame gimmick recruit in Birthright and Conquest but never gets to be on your team in Revelations because they die from doing something that didn't kill them in the other campaigns.

Revelations balances this out by not killing someone else who dies doing the same thing in the other two campaigns.

This ends up being the most well written, well thought out option of the game's central plot choice.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Infinitum posted:

So be hype.

Hell yeah I wanna play Bomberman and try to bring the good out of Konami once more

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fire Emblem Direct gonna be so good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hell yeah I wanna play Bomberman and try to bring the good out of Konami once more

KONAMI CODE BOIIII

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Fire Emblem Direct gonna be so good and cool.

Unlike your posting

• Locked thread