Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

But you still can't get married, or adopt children, or be protected from discrimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its basically just fine for jin xing. well, caitlyn jenner doesn't have a hard life, neither

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Like Gulf states. Wow as a white collar advisor or party promoter flunky, my standard of living is incredible! The west has much to learn!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the gulf states sound like an apt comparison then. on an interpersonal level they're getting WAY more tolerant, as we're two generations deep into lgbt folks from small towns finding community online and staying out in the sticks. everyone genx and earlier had to move to wherever the sailors were to find community.

but the laws are still turbofucked because we're a gerrymandered fascist gerontocracy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think they're talking persian gulf, not gulf of mexico. qatar, not louisiana

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
same thing really

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean, fair. I know a guy who moved from College Station, TX to Doha, Qatar. He moved from a conservative, military dominated, theocratic petrostate to a conservative, military dominated, theocratic petrostate but with better shopping.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, there's a lot of direct influence. if you meet an american in saudi or whatever, there's quite a few from oil-producing american areas

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Tai posted:

I am being lazy and phone posting because I'm at the pub (and lazy) but what is China like in 2024 in terms of its stance towards queer and trans people?

There are bars and apps for LGBT folks. That being said, the government has been pretty hostile towards LGBTs. A LGBT resource center in Beijing was shut down not long ago. The government recently ruled that broadcasters cannot put "sissy men" on TV. Zero COVID killed off Pride festivals in China in general.

Here is a good article on LBGT culture in China today.

Strategic Tea posted:

Like Gulf states. Wow as a white collar advisor or party promoter flunky, my standard of living is incredible! The west has much to learn!

That was my roommate's experience in Fuzhou. He was a good looking white dude, so he cleaned up on Blued (Chinese Grindr). Turns out that there are a LOT of married dudes looking for low down gay stuff.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I keep wondering how the gently caress Heaven Official's Blessing got made and is internationally distributed? Danmei authors are getting jailed but at the same time there's this incredibly popular coming out of China about two men who love each other. Well, one man who simps hard for another who is clueless as gently caress.

I've heard that it's censored in China? The second season wasn't even shown? So does the US and the rest of the world actually have access to a Chinese media property that the Chinese citizens themselves can't watch?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 13, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think that Heaven's Official Blessing, when watched without assumption, just seems like two very good friends, one of which is very dedicated to the other. Strong male to male friendship and dedication is generally viewed positively, but I suppose once it's pointed out that they might have a bit more going on, the party is alerted and no fun is had.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
While you could claim it's mostly subtextual, by the end of the first season, there's absolutely no question about the fact that one guy is head over heels for the other. The only thing one could argue is left to interpretation is whether it is reciprocated - our main character has a monk-like ascetic nature where romantic love just isn't a part of his world. That's pretty much where the romance comes in, is him figuring out over time that maybe this isn't just good friendship.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 13, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I am told that the official English language books has some sex scenes added in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

So does the US and the rest of the world actually have access to a Chinese media property that the Chinese citizens themselves can't watch?

This happens sometimes. Usually something will come out, it either slips by the censors (China's big and the censorship regime is decentralized) or at the time it's released it's considered fine, then later it's censored, so it's only available outside China.

I've never heard of this one but it appears to be a novel series? Books aren't as censored, both because of the decentralization and because nobody reads books so it's not high priority the way internet stuff is. There are some publishers who aren't too keen on censorship and evade it sometimes. If you want to make something a little subversive, writing is the area in China where you can sometimes get away with it.

E: I guess there's an anime too. I'm not sure how that falls in the censorship regime, Chinese anime being popular is pretty new. Inconsistent enforcement is always the first thing I'd assume though. People imagine China's censorship as this centralized thing that checks literally everything and it just isn't consistent like that.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not sure where best to ask but has anyone bought any weird custom stuff from alibaba/express?

I'm looking at inflatables that are on a sliding scale that supposedly let you customize but don't have a size thing in the add to cart. What's the protocol?

Also is this stuff going to give you turbo cancer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

not sure where best to ask but has anyone bought any weird custom stuff from alibaba/express?

I'm looking at inflatables that are on a sliding scale that supposedly let you customize but don't have a size thing in the add to cart. What's the protocol?

Also is this stuff going to give you turbo cancer

I use aliexpress a lot with no issues but you probably wanna ask the aliexpress thread if you have something specific.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806076&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
drat I was really looking foward to getting a cheap 10k Chinese EV.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There's really nothing cheap on alibaba unless you're going to buy a container load of stuff. Importing a vehicle or other bigger items is always a tremendous hassle and you're better off using an import broker for those things.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It's only a matter of time before the Chinese government bans anime.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kharnifex posted:

And then invents a new original entertainment concept called com-moChion

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

They've already banned a lot of them for "crimes against public morality." There's also the issue of the government lowering your social credit score if you order too much from international sources.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
oh so the points i've been collecting on aliexpress has been my social credit all this time???

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Been a while since there was a good old fashioned Taiwan legislature brawl.

https://x.com/wentisung/status/1791486715556966687

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

drat that owns

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

A big scandal from last year’s Hugo awards, which were hosted in Chengdu. A lot of books, especially stuff by authors of Chinese descent, were disqualified with no reason given. It looks like the hosts did it for fear of CCP censors

A bit of necromancy here but it eventually turned out that this was because the (mostly western) organising committee decided to roleplay as Chinese censors apparently without any prompting

At least Chengdu got a pretty cool convention centre out of the whole fiasco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzPLsNX3VU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
my favourite part of taiwanese politician fights is when the water balloons start flying

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

distortion park posted:

A bit of necromancy here but it eventually turned out that this was because the (mostly western) organising committee decided to roleplay as Chinese censors apparently without any prompting

Self censorship is literally the goal of the CCP, they don’t have enough resources to monitor themselves. Hence the national security classes at school to indoctrinate the population as early as possible.

The obvious twist is that one doesn’t know how far to censor, the party always want it to be vague and open for their welding.

https://hongkongfp.com/2024/05/17/hong-kong-news-industry-can-ask-questions-but-not-provoke-conflicts-citys-leader-says/

quote:

The media can “ask questions” but not provoke conflicts or make slanderous remarks, Chief Executive John Lee has said at an awards ceremony for the city’s news industry.

:lol:

Similarly yesterday, https://hongkongfp.com/2024/05/15/the-past-has-a-future-again-hong-kongs-heritage-museum-will-continue-telling-good-stories-about-the-city/

quote:

Hong Kong’s Heritage Museum will continue ‘telling good stories’ about the city
Propaganda pieces only please.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 17, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Stink Billyums posted:

my favourite part of taiwanese politician fights is when the water balloons start flying
For me it’s the slick Judo making full use of suit jackets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrMoo posted:

Self censorship is literally the goal of the CCP, they don’t have enough resources to monitor themselves. Hence the national security classes at school to indoctrinate the population as early as possible.

The obvious twist is that one doesn’t know how far to censor, the party always want it to be vague and open for their welding.

Yup. Most censorship is self-censorship and they intentionally do not make it clear what is acceptable and what is over the line. Plus the line moves at random. What the Worldcon people did is Party censorship. People imagine it as a giant room full of guys reviewing everything and stamping approved or banned on it, but what it really is most of the time is intimidating people into shutting up before anyone has to do anything about it.

Which does not excuse the Worldcon people from going along with it. They just shouldn't have had it in China to begin with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Porfiriato posted:

So when these happen is the average person in Taiwan all fired up about their noble congresscritters defending themselves from the vile thugs on the other side, or are they like "lol those clowns in congress are pretending to throw down again".

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Klyith posted:

So when these happen is the average person in Taiwan all fired up about their noble congresscritters defending themselves from the vile thugs on the other side, or are they like "lol those clowns in congress are pretending to throw down again".

more of the latter. things are heating up with the inauguration on sunday

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what caused the brawl?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

So what caused the brawl?

They wanted to ban anime

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

They wanted to ban anime

The fight better have been who gets to sign the ban first

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
KMT and TPP coalition is trying to pass some legislature reform, DPP has various opposition to the reform, and normally there will be month long procedural debate/discussion to modified the proposed law before it goes to vote. However, the current legislature yuan chairman did not allow any change or input from DPP to the proposed law as was customary so they try to physically prevent the vote to proceed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pedro0930 posted:

KMT and TPP coalition is trying to pass some legislature reform,

All the english news makes it seem like not a reform, but a way for the KMT to hamstring a DPP president who doesn't have a majority of the legislature. "It's a crime to lie to the legislature" -- is this like during sworn testimony in controlled circumstances, or just any time?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Klyith posted:

All the english news makes it seem like not a reform, but a way for the KMT to hamstring a DPP president who doesn't have a majority of the legislature. "It's a crime to lie to the legislature" -- is this like during sworn testimony in controlled circumstances, or just any time?

I didn't want to comment on whether these changes are warranted or not, but yes, some of these laws are probably unconstitutional or the purview of other part of the government, or useless.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1791124623918248266

A bit of a change from advocating that China be dismantled

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Nationalizing Twitter is absurd. Simply strip voting rights of anyone with an account.

I have a shitpoastin account on twitter and I heartily agree, but good luck stripping someone from "not us" of voting rights. (peers antishly towards malaysia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

https://x.com/wentisung/status/1791486715556966687

hell yeah, best china showing us how real laws are made