Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They call em Dropships because you drop em on bots using EATs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flare goes up = call in EATs

It'll drop just in time for the dropships to start turning up, and you can delete 2 of them straight up.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

i play duo 7s fairly frequently and this is actually pretty disappointing, one of my major complaints beforehand was just that it felt like sub 4 player matches were mostly empty and i'm not excited to go back to that

When the change drops switch to 8’s or 9’s and it should be like current duo 7.

The way difficulty ought to work is to keep enemies per player per unit time at some set mark. Then, difficulty selection gives a similar experience no matter how many people are in the game. That’s how it was before and hopefully that’s what they’re targeting now.

An effect of the current patrol setting is the lack of downtime between fights, which makes the game feel hectic for the entire duration of the mission. So 9s are very doable with big, rewarding fights but not much downtime which can be a bit frustrating for players who want the huge crazy fights but maybe not for the entire mission.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Janissary Hop posted:

I'm really glad that I can get so many updates on a website that I never visit here that it feels like I read it every day.

Did you read the link? its a joke post

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dren posted:

When the change drops switch to 8’s or 9’s and it should be like current duo 7.

The way difficulty ought to work is to keep enemies per player per unit time at some set mark. Then, difficulty selection gives a similar experience no matter how many people are in the game. That’s how it was before and hopefully that’s what they’re targeting now.

An effect of the current patrol setting is the lack of downtime between fights, which makes the game feel hectic for the entire duration of the mission. So 9s are very doable with big, rewarding fights but not much downtime which can be a bit frustrating for players who want the huge crazy fights but maybe not for the entire mission.

afaik 8 and 9 spawn heavies more frequently and i don't really like avoiding fights or having to run around while waiting for anti armor stratagems to come off cooldown, which is why 7 with increased patrols was nice

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
Cimmunity seems to be distancing themselves from the clutches of the "Nerf" discussion and focusing on more important things again, like the major orders. Nice.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Infinitum posted:

Flare goes up = call in EATs

Flare up? Barrage down :colbert:

You can shoot your eat from 65m away.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Despacho posted:

Cimmunity seems to be distancing themselves from the clutches of the "Nerf" discussion and focusing on more important things again, like the major orders. Nice.

You mean how we are hilariously low and failing this one?

People don't like fighting bots and prefer bugs apparently. I'm the opposite and feel like the weird kid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Despacho posted:

Looks like it just ended in failure moments ago. I think that's two consecutive failed ones right? Third time's the charm, baby!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

People don't like fighting bots and prefer bugs apparently. I'm the opposite and feel like the weird kid.

bots > bugs all day

bots don't give you an obligation to load up on heavy AT, and pray that the RNG doesn't make it all useless by spawning hundreds of middies instead

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I prefer fighting bots up until it's a high difficulty mission and we get surrounded at distance. Then it's just getting non-stop rockets and heavy Star Wars blaster fire in every orifice.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lobok posted:

Looks like it just ended in failure moments ago. I think that's two consecutive failed ones right? Third time's the charm, baby!

There's also the fact that people probably don't care about mines

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I care about mines :smith: they can be fun

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

nexus6 posted:

I mean, their schtick gets old pretty quick. Invisible box, invisible tug o' war, invisible methane fire, it's all overdone.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

We're never getting those AT mines Helldivers. :smith:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hwurmp posted:

bots > bugs all day

bots don't give you an obligation to load up on heavy AT, and pray that the RNG doesn't make it all useless by spawning hundreds of middies instead

Agreed, as an autocannon main I'll go for bots any day. Every single bot enemy can be easily and quickly killed with the autocannon, I don't have to waste time on EATS/Quasar that's only useful on like 5% of the enemies

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phenotype posted:

We're never getting those AT mines Helldivers. :smith:

Once it happens we can all post "gently caress you, got mines"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://x.com/maritaroko/status/1790753592749572313?s=46

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Did they change the AC / strider interaction? Having a lot more trouble one-shorting them from the front. Taking 213 shots to the hips now when it was a single shot.

Would be a fine change AC still supreme against Bots.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

afaik 8 and 9 spawn heavies more frequently and i don't really like avoiding fights or having to run around while waiting for anti armor stratagems to come off cooldown, which is why 7 with increased patrols was nice

I can see how that's a bummer. I play 7 with my friends who don't like 9, the patrols do have less heavies and mediums in them. If you have an AMR/AC user in your duo to kill the hulks, you'll be ok on 8 and 9 since the main issue is more hulks. Tanks and striders are less frequent than hulks, they can be taken care of with eagle airstrike or an orbital and cooldown shouldn't be too much of an issue. The additional devastators instead of troopers sort of necessitates AMR/AC.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

Did they change the AC / strider interaction? Having a lot more trouble one-shorting them from the front. Taking 213 shots to the hips now when it was a single shot.

Yeah, a patch or two ago they made the pilots more resistant to explosions or something

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The spear is generally for anti structure use, it works very well for that role. It’s however not good against hulks or tanks (2 hits most often). On bot blitzes from highground with good vantage point you can complete the main objectives in 90 seconds .

The downside of the spear is you require teamwork for other unit types.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

turn off the TV posted:

I can understand this, even if it's not my experience.

The issue for me was I enjoy having access to the full breadth of a mission, max complexity objectives, all enemy spawn types and challenges, so I didn't want to step down to 5s cause they bore the bejeezus out of me, but at the same time I also appreciated downtime between waves just as a pacing thing. I wanted more intense wave crests but a longer wave length, or something. A littel downtime so you can alt-tab or grab a drink or something really goes a long way. I could still solo 7s after the change but I wasn't enjoying it so much and my beer was getting warm. Maybe I'm getting old, but I want games to be difficult in waves without me having to be perfectly on for a full 45 minutes, get kinda numb to it.

I guess maybe the only way to truly provide a difficulty for everyone would be with sliders for different values, but I don't love that changing difficulty changes the depth of the experience as well as the enemy challenge.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm sure they'll fix spawn scaling but i doubt they're going to do much else to balance the game for solo players, it doesn't seem to be a design priority.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Spear is a nice utility weapon vs. Bots that sometimes doesn't get ton of value, but by the time it's apparent you're not getting a lot out of it, someone else's support weapon/backpack cooldowns are done and you can get spares to swap out. I personally love to bring it for Bots specifically because it destroys cannon towers from up to 300m away, and sometimes you can get lucky and get a Strat Jammer with an attached fabricator to blow up from downtown. They're nice vs. Gunships as well if you're in a bind although the lock on does get finicky if the Gunship is hovering around rock formations.

The general rule of thumb I try to follow with the Spear is if you can draw a direct unobstructed line along the ground to the bottom of your target (meaning there's no random debris/shrubs/outcroppings along the way) it'll probably lock on, although it sometimes still won't feel like it. The other silly thing is the Spear can lock on to Shrieker towers but only if the very bottom of the stem is exposed, as that's its lockon point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shuka posted:

There's no reason to level past 20

*ahem*

Admirable Admiral

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tom Tucker posted:

If it's taking 213 shots you may be doing something wrong.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm sure they'll fix spawn scaling but i doubt they're going to do much else to balance the game for solo players, it doesn't seem to be a design priority.

It seems like this is the case for a lot of co-op games: the designers expect everyone to have exactly the right number of friends to make a full team and you just get a lesser experience if you don't.

I'm not just talking about helldivers - there have been quite a lot of games where you can play cooperatively with friends but God forbid any of them can't play the same time as you. Either you must touch the pubstove or play by yourself and have a worse time.

Generally I've had some good games with randos but more often now I'll start up the game, see there aren't enough of my friends online then exit the game. (Yes I know about the goon Discord but there aren't games 24/7)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good news everybody! Wars been declared!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Infinitum posted:

Rigorous 72 hours of training.

There's so much that's awesome in here.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Special military operations and 72 hour trainings for conscripts. Little on the nose.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's at least seventy times as long as Helldiver training :aaa:

we'll need a better word for "elite"

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AndyElusive posted:

*ahem*

Admirable Admiral

Also EMS mortar is 25 :science:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nexus6 posted:

It seems like this is the case for a lot of co-op games: the designers expect everyone to have exactly the right number of friends to make a full team and you just get a lesser experience if you don't.

yeah, i just quickmatch and have a good time with whoever. it's a multiplayer co-op game!

i don't think it's bad for people who make a multiplayer co-op game to focus on that as a design priority

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Solo Helldive clickbait video makers were up in arms!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D1gvAV-UWA

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Billions have already volunteered for conscription

Democracy will be safe forever. Again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Also, just

Not declaring it a dead game but the goal may not have been properly calibrated, either.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hogama posted:

Also, just

The big thing that I'm seeing is that there's no spike when the new Warbond came out. Wow, did they gently caress up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

nexus6 posted:

I'm not just talking about helldivers - there have been quite a lot of games where you can play cooperatively with friends but God forbid any of them can't play the same time as you. Either you must touch the pubstove or play by yourself and have a worse time.

Generally I've had some good games with randos but more often now I'll start up the game, see there aren't enough of my friends online then exit the game. (Yes I know about the goon Discord but there aren't games 24/7)

Deep Rock is really good for solo in my experience. I prefer it solo some of the time because you can pause, you're not gated out of anything and all the challenges are yours to tackle.

I also think it's fine for co-op games to focus fully on co-op, like I'd never have imagined playing Left 4 Dead solo, and I don't care that you can't open the double doors in Helldivers alone etc. It's just the changes made it feel worse than it had, the issue for me was it felt great, if not 'correct' to solo, then they changed it. If it had been like this from the start I wouldn't have batted an eye (and probably wouldn't have played much, all my friends have kids and jobs and I don't want to have to interact with strangers on any level, I already do that for my job.)